Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

170 Final RC, please test (Windows)

Hi the client keeps crashing at odd times no pattern that I can tell . Sometimes when harving sometimes when fighting sometimes just walking. Here is the contents of the error_log

Log started at 2008-07-08 17:09:49 localtime (Eastern Daylight Time)

[17:09:49] Error: Server profile not found in servers.lst for server: Lands\el_170_rc_fin. Failover to server: main.

[17:09:49] Using the server profile: main

[17:09:54] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[17:09:54] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst

[17:09:54] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[17:09:54] Error: Can't open file "alias.ini"

[17:09:54] Sound devices detected: Generic Hardware,Generic Software

[17:09:54] Soundcard device attempted:

[17:09:54] Soundcard device in-use: Generic Hardware

[17:09:54] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst

[17:09:55] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst

[17:09:55] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[17:09:55] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst

[17:09:55] Failed to download (files.lst) 3 times. Giving up.

[17:09:58] Language changed, was [en] now [en]

[17:10:05] EXTENDED EXCEPTION(1:file_not_found): Can't find file ./tiles/tile237.bmp in el_file at io/elfile.cpp (line 179)

Let me know if anything else is needed or what my next step should be.

Thanks,

Phrank

All is good as long as camera angle allows to see just a ground - as soon as sky becomes visible, fps drops from 40 to 1-2 for a few seconds, then settles at roughly 10

Everything seems fine so far. :) I love the small Invertory window. :) so useful. :)

I'll let you know if I find anything else.

Had some strange effects with the shadows while training in NRM, havn't noticed it anywhere else yet. I tried to get a screenshot but it happens so fast I was unable to and it seems random (I was not able to deliberately produce it). It's like the shadows all shift as if the light was coming from a different angle for a second and then shifts back. It's a pretty dramatic change but very fast.

Video card: GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 2.1.2

We installed and ran this final RC on all systems in my siggy; no crashes, no immediate or major issues to report so far. Everything seems to be working well.

However, my missing "mouse pointer" problem still occurs on the Toshiba Laptop, but this time I've noticed a slight difference from the previous RC. When the pointer vanishes during initializing the client it was also not visible on the login screen either...this time it does appear (stable) on the login screen. Once I login in and proceed into the game then the pointer will vanish again. Only to reappear when the mouse is moved.

We'll keep a lookout and report back any other issues if we find any...

Thanks for the great effort team :)

EDIT: (SP)

Edited by marack

It's like the shadows all shift as if the light was coming from a different angle for a second and then shifts back. It's a pretty dramatic change but very fast.

That's most likely caused by the lightning :)

Edited by ago

So far so good, but I have a question:

Why did the print button in the #sto window disappear? I was verry happy with this feature.

I will miss this feature very much too...please reconsider :)

Wow, it's gorgeous! I spend so much time gazing at the sky that my elf keeps tripping over her shoelaces. Makes me fall in love with EL all over again. :)

Looks amazing on my main computer (7600 Nvidia) and on my laptop (Intel 945GM Express integrated chipset). Will try it on my sad, ancient computer next.

Great job! :)

Llyn :laugh:

Edited by Llynara

Everything running very nicely and smooth. just one tiny problem here... with my thermal serp

i noticed the pinky color goes away when beeing in outside maps oO when im inside a house or cave its okay but outside the pink color is not there.. looks like normal serp then with fire eyecandy lol. not only

on me but on all other weapons with color (looked at the bots in nc with special swords in their hands)

Intel Core2 Duo E4500 2.20GHz

Video card: GeForce 8400 GS/PCI/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 2.1.1

When I start it up, it says the program is not responding for a few minutes, and the FPS is still not that good, its even worse with the minimap, which I really enjoy. Also when I use the new character animaion, the players all disapear.

Edited by Mercie

Hi the client keeps crashing at odd times no pattern that I can tell . Sometimes when harving sometimes when fighting sometimes just walking. Here is the contents of the error_log

Have you the same problem with other games? And what value are you using for your fps limit?

If you have the same problem in other games and if you have a high or uncapped fps limit, it can be an overheating problem so you can try to reduce your fps to see if it's better.

All is good as long as camera angle allows to see just a ground - as soon as sky becomes visible, fps drops from 40 to 1-2 for a few seconds, then settles at roughly 10

Have you tried to reduce your maximum viewing distance in the options?

When I start it up, it says the program is not responding for a few minutes, and the FPS is still not that good, its even worse with the minimap, which I really enjoy. Also when I use the new character animaion, the players all disapear.

If you enable the animation program while in game, you have to restart the client in order it takes effect and you can see the chars again.

just one tiny problem here... with my thermal serp

i noticed the pinky color goes away when beeing in outside maps oO

I have noticed people's therm serp's not glowing pink also.

(EDIT: me = ubuntu 8.04 / geforce 6800 latest drivers / very recent CVS )

Worth doing, i set my max viewing distance down to 75 (from the default 100)... i can still see very far, but made a significant difference for fps.

Edited by Korrode

Have you the same problem with other games?

You mean there are other games?!?! ;)

No I don't have this problem with other games. But I will do some further testing to see.

And what value are you using for your fps limit?

If you have the same problem in other games and if you have a high or uncapped fps limit, it can be an overheating problem so you can try to reduce your fps to see if it's better.

My fps is capped at 40, but I seem to crash more when my fps are real low. In PV I'm usually around 3-4 fps with the sky view on, turning it off still has me crashing about every 5-15 minutes. It also seems to shut down more often when running mozilla concurrently. Anything else I should try?

Had some strange effects with the shadows while training in NRM, havn't noticed it anywhere else yet. I tried to get a screenshot but it happens so fast I was unable to and it seems random (I was not able to deliberately produce it). It's like the shadows all shift as if the light was coming from a different angle for a second and then shifts back. It's a pretty dramatic change but very fast.

Also saw this, it seems to happen when the shadows are adjusting... They all strech real far in one direction, then snap back to where they should adjust to (it appears...) Also having troubles getting a screen shot of this as "it happens so fast"...

Edited by DogBreath

I found this little error by accident... Not sure if it is because of the new client or not.

The description and weight are attached to each other. No space in between. However, this only happens when I come out of console.

I click to view the item, and it's normal. I go console and come back, then it's like in the pic.

elscreen005dy1.th.png

EDIT: I tried it with something else (just the BSf you see in the pic as well ;))

There it has a " - " between the 2. I noticed that the normal view puts the Weight below the description. When going in console and back, the Weight is put next to the desc. Not really a problem, but weird.

Edited by Cyprom

Also saw this, it seems to happen when the shadows are adjusting... They all strech real far in one direction, then snap back to where they should adjust to (it appears...) Also having troubles getting a screen shot of this as "it happens so fast"...

It's like the shadows all shift as if the light was coming from a different angle for a second and then shifts back. It's a pretty dramatic change but very fast.

That's most likely caused by the lightning :o

What ago said. ;)

@phrank: if your fps is very low, it's because your cpu and video card is really really busy so if you are noticing more crashes when it happens then I think it confirms what I was thinking but maybe I'm wrong. So you can try to reduce all the details to the minimum, reduce the maximum viewing distance if you're using the extended camera and reduce your fps limit to 20-30. Installing something that is able to monitor the temperature of your video card and your cpu would be interesting too. :D

I would just like to thank you for the Wonderful and Beautiful job. the skyclient is amazing.. and now the Itty Bitty Window for your bag inventory is Awesome. ;) and Yes.. thank you for fixing the black water in the portals thank you!

just one tiny problem here... with my thermal serp

i noticed the pinky color goes away when beeing in outside maps oO

I have noticed people's therm serp's not glowing pink also.

(EDIT: me = ubuntu 8.04 / geforce 6800 latest drivers / very recent CVS )

Worth doing, i set my max viewing distance down to 75 (from the default 100)... i can still see very far, but made a significant difference for fps.

I have tried reducing viewing distance and reflections distance - at 75 it doesn't help, at 50 it is much better (drop from max 40 to 20-25 fps)

I found this little error by accident... Not sure if it is because of the new client or not.

The description and weight are attached to each other. No space in between. However, this only happens when I come out of console.

I click to view the item, and it's normal. I go console and come back, then it's like in the pic.

Thanks, that one was my re-wrapping of messages for the inventory size change. It's already fixed in CVS when I fixed a related issue that ago reported.

Everything looks great!! ^^ I love the new minimap. Would it be possible, though, to hide the Minimap in the console view?

Other than that, no problems to report yet ^^

Everything looks great!! ^^ I love the new minimap. Would it be possible, though, to hide the Minimap in the console view?

Other than that, no problems to report yet ^^

right-click an uncheck 'windows on top'. at the bar you move/close minimap