Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

1.7.0 RC Linux packages available for Ubuntu and Debian

I've just published Debian (lenny) and Ubuntu (gutsy & hardy) packages for the 1.7.0 release candidate. The same software sources are required as before:

For Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy)
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pjbroad/ubuntu hardy main

For Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy)
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pjbroad/ubuntu gutsy main

For Debian (lenny)
deb http://www.twinmoons.org.uk/pkg/debian/ ./

Once you have the required sources, the new packages will be available to install after you have updated/reloaded your package information. Then you just have to install the new packages eternallands-rc and eternallands-rc-data - a search in your package manager will find them.

These new packages will replace the previous versions but you can reinstall the old versions using the old names eternallands and eternallands-data. The download is relatively small if you already have the old packages installed.

If you use CVS, the new data files can be downloaded using this link.

If you find game bugs please report them using the main RC threads but mention you're using these packages. If you find packaging bugs post them here.

edit: typos

Edited by bluap

I've just published Debian (lenny) and Ubuntu (gutsy & hardy) packages for the 1.7.0 release candidate. The same software sources are required as before:
For Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy)
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pjbroad/ubuntu hardy main

For Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy)
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pjbroad/ubuntu gutsy main

For Debian (lenny)
deb http://www.twinmoons.org.uk/pkg/debian/ ./

Once you have the required sources, the new packages will be available to install after you have updated/reloaded your package information. Then you just have to install the new packages eternallands-rc and eternallands-rc-data - a search in your package manager will find them.

These new packages will replace the previous versions but you can reinstall the old versions using the old names eternallands and eternallands-data. The download is relatively small if you already have the old packages installed.

If you use CVS, the new data file scan be downloaded using this link.

If you find game bugs please report them using the main RC threads but mention you're using these packages. If you find packaging bugs post them here.

I haven't started using these (yet) but I think you should be commended for your efforts. From what I've seen you do great work and work hard at it. *applauds*

Very nice work bluap (as usual), but why not making these and future RCs installable together with the current stable version? That way you could test the beta/rc version to report bugs/see what's new, and still have a comfortable fallback if things go wrong.

Rehdon

Very nice work bluap (as usual), but why not making these and future RCs installable together with the current stable version? That way you could test the beta/rc version to report bugs/see what's new, and still have a comfortable fallback if things go wrong.Rehdon
I did consider this but it was much easier (less changes) this way. Several other things convinced me: This RC is very stable, compatible with the main server and very close to release. Also, switching between then RC and non-RC version is very simple and quick, no need to re-download the files unless you manually delete them. Next time, if we have an unstable, in-compatible RC, I'll probably do as you suggest. :)

P.S. Thanks for the support form everyone :)

Edited by bluap

I'll join a cheer for the developers any time. Excellent work bluap for the work on this package :).

Some comments: I installed the package on top of the last one and the package installer actually did come out with an error. I installed the sound package for the first time and it said that it had an error during configuration (I found out in the game that the sound device hadn't been determind and I'm not sure what to write in that field. The sound currently works but the music doesn't). The data package had an error as well, which is connected to an amount of unauthorized map files in the map directory. Since that mistake was known, I assumed both to be related to that one and the game ended up working perfectly.

As for the overwritten map files in the map directory I have to put them back in each time I go through the configuration procedure.

Some comments: I installed the package on top of the last one and the package installer actually did come out with an error. I installed the sound package for the first time and it said that it had an error during configuration (I found out in the game that the sound device hadn't been determind and I'm not sure what to write in that field. The sound currently works but the music doesn't). The data package had an error as well, which is connected to an amount of unauthorized map files in the map directory. Since that mistake was known, I assumed both to be related to that one and the game ended up working perfectly.
The package does not configure your sound device, however I think leaving that new field empty works for the majority of people. I have a large number of cases in my test script but may be I'll add some more; did you save the output by chance? I have not yet packaged the music but you should be able to copy it to the data dir and have it working fine.
As for the overwritten map files in the map directory I have to put them back in each time I go through the configuration procedure.
Installing the data package will overwrite any files with clashing names but leave others alone. An alternative place to install your own tab-bmp files is in "$HOME/.elc/updates/1_6_0/maps/" (moved once 1_7_0 is out) but don't tell anyone I suggested it.....

The package does not configure your sound device, however I think leaving that new field empty works for the majority of people. I have a large number of cases in my test script but may be I'll add some more; did you save the output by chance? I have not yet packaged the music but you should be able to copy it to the data dir and have it working fine.

My sound device on the computer was configured, but it seemed that the game didn't recognize my laptops internal speaker system :icon13: . Anyway..empty field is fine, so let's leave it like that.

Unfortunately I didn't save the output as I thought I had to reinstall the package anyway. I regretted as I saw that the game actually ended up working. But I quickly skimmed thought the text and it said that it had tried to overwrite some directories and that the configuration process had failed. I just tried to reproduce the error by another installation, but it went well.

An alternative place to install your own tab-bmp files is in "$HOME/.elc/updates/1_6_0/maps/" (moved once 1_7_0 is out) but don't tell anyone I suggested it.....

Thank you :) and my lips are sealed :) . Thought I tried that already actually though it kept working with the maps in the installation directory. I'll try again and see...

Anyway..empty field is fine, so let's leave it like that.

The empty field means use the default device. This is almost always the correct action.

thx for great work but....

I can't run additional sounds which i have define in snds_client.xml :(

I copied all my sounds file to /usr/share/games/EternalLands/sound but nothing happened :(

I have other sounds efects, even these defined originally in snds_client.xml

Ps. sorry for my english, but i hope that you understand me :)

thx for great work but....

I can't run additional sounds which i have define in snds_client.xml :(

I copied all my sounds file to /usr/share/games/EternalLands/sound but nothing happened :(

I have other sounds efects, even these defined originally in snds_client.xml

Ps. sorry for my english, but i hope that you understand me :)

Your English is fine but I don't really understand your problem.

1) Did you install the sound package and if so did it work before you changed things?

2) Have you modified snds_client.xml to add new sound names or just the files played for a particular event?

3) If you modified it to add new names, are you are using these new sound names in ~/.elc/<user>/sound_warnings.txt? If so is it these sounds that don't work.

One thing to note When you install these packages for the first time, they will overwrite any files with the same names. If you remove or reinstall, the old package files are removed. So if you modify snds_client.xml then installed/reinstalled the sound package, you will loose your changes.

1) Did you install the sound package and if so did it work before you changed things?

2) Have you modified snds_client.xml to add new sound names or just the files played for a particular event?

3) If you modified it to add new names, are you are using these new sound names in ~/.elc/<user>/sound_warnings.txt? If so is it these sounds that don't work.

One thing to note When you install these packages for the first time, they will overwrite any files with the same names. If you remove or reinstall, the old package files are removed. So if you modify snds_client.xml then installed/reinstalled the sound package, you will loose your changes.

I of course instaled sound packages, edited snds_client.xml and sound_warnings.txt files (i coppied these files from my backup directory)

All worked good beefor i instaled game from repository.

I of course instaled sound packages, edited snds_client.xml and sound_warnings.txt files (i coppied these files from my backup directory)All worked good beefor i instaled game from repository.
Did sound work after you installed from the repository but before you modified the config files? Which sound_warnings.txt did you change, I believe the file should be in "$HOME/.elc/<e.g. main>/sound_warnings.txt" in which case you should not have had to modify the file in the installed directory. May be you could post your config changes here.

It's very strange, i defined 10 sound warnings, and 9 working good, one not :)

so i think that problem isn't in packages, although befor i instaled it all worked good ...

I've updated the -rc packages with the latest data and client version (rc-last). If you installed the previous version, you should be offered the update next time you refresh your packages. For CVS builders, a zip version of the data can found here.

Edited by bluap

I've run cvs update after installing RC from adept manager. I've unzipped the files into the cvs folder and usr/share/games/EternalLands. When I run the client from cvs it doesn't have skycam listed. If I run it from Application menu, it does. I also have a shader & a shaders folder in cvs now. THere are numerous CVS and cvs (note the case) inside the elc folder.

Edited by popeye

I've run cvs update after installing RC from adept manager. I've unzipped the files into the cvs folder and usr/share/games/EternalLands. When I run the client from cvs it doesn't have skycam listed. If I run it from Application menu, it does. I also have a shader & a shaders folder in cvs now. THere are numerous CVS and cvs (note the case) inside the elc folder.

If you are using these packages you do not need to unzip anything manually or do anything with CVS. Just install (or update) the packages using your package manager and it's done.

If you do not want to use these installed packages or don't use Debian/Ubuntu you will need to build your own client from CVS. I provided a direct link to the new data zip file to save these CVS builders the bother of running wine. To build a RC version of the client from CVS you need to enabled the new options in make.defaults; uncomment SKY_FPV, NEW_WEATHER and MINIMAP2.

Thanks. I'm compiling it now.