USA 2008 Elections

Who are you going to vote for?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you going to vote for?

• Obama
    • McCain
    • Other (please specify)
    • No one

Ok, now that we know the candidates, let's see who our players are going to vote for.

Please, vote only if you can vote in the US (citizen, over 18).

I am not a citizen, so I can't vote, but if I were to vote, I'd vote for a 3rd party candidate, probably the Libertarian candidate.

I would have voted for Hilary, but since its between Barack and McCain I probably won't vote at all. May change my mind, probably not.

Even though I probably shouldn't base my vote on this, I'm waiting to see who the running mates are for each candidate. To be honest, I'm not impressed with either.

Prob be like the last election, the 18-25 crowd promise to " rock the vote ", then don't show up to vote. LOL. If I had to vote today, it would be McCain. May change my mind tho, but prob not.

I really wonder why people would vote for Obama. What does he bring that McCain doesn't?

I think people are just afraid that electing McCain will mean another 4 (or 8) years of George Bush, so people are skeptical to vote for him...which of course is irrational, but what can we do? :medieval:

Ive never been a very strong debate artist, but I think that Obama is a great candidate. Just like EVERY human on this planet he does have some shortcomings, but personally I believe he is the greatest candidate ive seen in my lifetime. (granted my lifetime just barely touches Bush SR.) I know election promises are about as trustworthy as a used condom salesman, but there are certain promises that he will have to keep, and those just happen to be the ones important to me.

Ive never been a very strong debate artist, but I think that Obama is a great candidate. Just like EVERY human on this planet he does have some shortcomings, but personally I believe he is the greatest candidate ive seen in my lifetime. (granted my lifetime just barely touches Bush SR.) I know election promises are about as trustworthy as a used condom salesman, but there are certain promises that he will have to keep, and those just happen to be the ones important to me.

Yes, but WHY is he a good candidate? There is so much hype around him, and I just don't get it.

He voted to extend the USA patriot act, he voted to give Bush more money for the war, he wants to give the telecom companies retroactive immunity, he wants to bail out help the fucktards poor people who got into a subprime mortgage, and so on and so forth.

So what does he have over McCain?

Personally I believe that they are both really bad candidates, and I would never vote for any of them.

Well since every politican is lies like a dog,,,,everything he promised probablty wont happen.

I vote radu for president in 2012 ^^

He may ban 1% of the cabinet, but at least people with a little common sense would get a vote and their opinon will at least be acknowledged

He voted to extend the USA patriot act, he voted to give Bush more money for the war, he wants to give the telecom companies retroactive immunity, he wants to bail out help the fucktards poor people who got into a subprime mortgage, and so on and so forth.

I think that a lot of the issues you mentioned that he voted to support, are issues that he almost has to vote for to win the support of the common person. If he votes against any of them, he would get ripped apart by the media and his opponent, which would make it election year suicide.

I am going to vote for him with the "hope" that is able to change and solve a lot of the long standing problems. One of the main reasons I am voting for Obama is that I think he will act to get our troops out of Iraq which is proving a constant drain on our resources and will decrease some of the astronomical sums of money that is being spent on our military. I hope that he is able to reign in spending, works on some of the more sticky issues like Social Security and Medicare, and acts to restore more of our rights/liberties- such as removing some parts of the Patriot Act.

Edited by LevinMage

I think that a lot of the issues you mentioned that he voted to support, are issues that he almost has to vote for to win the support of the common person. If he votes against any of them, he would get ripped apart by the media and his opponent, which would make it election year suicide.

If I am to vote for someone, I want to look at their voting record, because that is the only thing politicians can not fake.

Every asshole can promise shit to people, but few will follow up with their promises. The voting history, however, truly reflects their character, and only a naive person would expect someone to change the way they vote based on some empty promises.

And even if he would change the way he acts, and is 100% honest with his promises, I'd still not vote for someone who is (by the way they voted) a traitor.

The voting history, however, truly reflects their character, and only a naive person would expect someone to change the way they vote based on some empty promises.

Maybe voting history when they are not in the spotlight and not running during an election year. There is NO way I can ever imagine any candidate always voting how he/she really believes. Politicians have to appeal to the "common" person, and I hate to say this, but most people have no grasp of any issue and only get from TV or the newspaper their political information. Even if either politician is for cutting benefits of medicare, social security, scaling back on war funding in order to reign in spending they could never say it or they wouldn't get elected.

Edit: There is NO way I can ever imagine any <electable> candidate always voting how he/she really believes. Despite raising a large amount of money, record sums at times, he still got crushed. He was supported by many of the people who do look at voting records and are involved, but by not "promising everything" didnt' reach the larger less informed part of the population.

Well, then vote for your Obama, I will laugh my ass off when he fucks up the country even more than Bush did. Vote for the cowards who do not have the moral quality to vote what they believe is right, but instead vote on what is 'electable'.

Meanwhile, I will stick to my principles.

Well, then vote for your Obama, I will laugh my ass off when he fucks up the country even more than Bush did. Vote for the cowards who do not have the moral quality to vote what they believe is right, but instead vote on what is 'electable'.

Ouch. That almost burned a little. Thats the closest thing to a flame ive ever seen from you Ent. :pinch: How do you figure that Obama is going to be a worse president than bush? I mean bush set the bar really high on being a terrible president. Personally I am 100% for the patriot act, and while I dont not condone the war, a lot of that funding goes to the wounded veterans and their families, as well as army morale and welfare programs. Not all the war funding is spent on destruction. You would not believe how many billions of dollars are being spent on construction projects. Like right now at this very moment I am at a water treatment facility that we are repairing. While I DO believe we could use this money to help our own problems at home, do NOT be under the perception that every dollar spent on this war is dropping a bomb.

I guess I will probably vote for Obama...unfortunately he seems to be the best of the two. The biggest selling factor is that McCain is tied in with the Oil Industry and I think that is what has effected America to such extent. Obama wants to search for alternative energy sources and move our country away from oil, while McCain just wishes to move us away from foreign oil and drill more in our backyard (which in turn destroying our environment). However as others have said most politicians say what we want to hear before the elections, then just sit on their thumbs the next 4 years, so until someone is elected that speaks for the people and not for their assets I feel we will never get out of this shit.

Edited by Revelation

Edit: There is NO way I can ever imagine any <electable> candidate always voting how he/she really believes. Despite raising a large amount of money, record sums at times, he still got crushed. He was supported by many of the people who do look at voting records and are involved, but by not "promising everything" didnt' reach the larger less informed part of the population.

Very, very sad but true(that people don't inform themselves and look at issues that really matter). I don't normally post in these discussions, but this sums it all up so nicely I had to :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPyQQ5pridg

How do you figure that Obama is going to be a worse president than bush? I mean bush set the bar really high on being a terrible president.

Well, he supported Bush in some of his really bad stuff, such as the patriot act and giving him more money for the war.

What I think he will do that Bush didn't is going to give us 'universal healthcare' by forcing everyone to pay money for health insurance. He will also have to rise the taxes to bail out the subprime mortgage people, welfare, etc. If he is not going to rise the taxes, he is going to just print more money, and make the USD even weaker than it already is.

Personally I am 100% for the patriot act, and while I dont not condone the war, a lot of that funding goes to the wounded veterans and their families, as well as army morale and welfare programs. Not all the war funding is spent on destruction. You would not believe how many billions of dollars are being spent on construction projects. Like right now at this very moment I am at a water treatment facility that we are repairing. While I DO believe we could use this money to help our own problems at home, do NOT be under the perception that every dollar spent on this war is dropping a bomb.

I am not really sure what you like about the Patriot act. Is it that Bush & co. can spy on you? Is it that he can declare you an 'enemy combatant' and strip you of any rights you have?

Regarding the war money, I am sure than not everything goes on bombs, but one has to wonder how do 2 billions a DAY get spent.. And perhaps if we didn't bomb Iraq and destroyed its infrastructure, there would be no need to rebuild it?

Like Ron Paul says, we bomb their bridges, spend money to rebuild their bridges, while the bridges here collapse and kill people.

Well I guess I want to find relevance in being here because if there is none then that means ive had friends who died for no reason... I'm not willing to accept that. Any troop withdrawal larger than 3-4 brigades is all I am looking for, and Obama is willing to do that. Thats why im voting for him.

One minor bone of contention with you, Ent... the notion that Obama could even remotely fuck up the country more than Bush has.

I don't think even *Charles Manson*, if elected president, could fuck up the country more than Bush has. Under 8 years of the Bush administration we've seen the greatest assault on the "american way" concievable, short of the US losing WWII, or the Stalinists winning the "Cold War." While it's pretty much a given that "All Politicians Lie", few have done so with such enthusiasm and vigor, or to such blatantly facist and totalitarian ends.

The United States has lost nearly *all* it's international credibility, save that as an immensely powerful bully in the "schoolyard of nations"... we don't even have the *pretense* of a "moral high ground" to take anymore, with anybody..

The economy's in the crapper, with gas and food prices skyrocketing, and the only industries doing really *Well* are those that the Administration has vested interests in.. namely Defense Contracting, Oil, and Prisons. If corruption were any *more* blatantly obvious, Washington DC would have a giant billboard flying over it listing bribery prices for various levels of officials and the degree of influence desired to be purchased...

And, of course, we have the USA Patriot Act, and a number of less publicized but no less significant laws which effectively do nothing but entirely trash the concepts of "legal rights", "due process of law", and "constitutional protections", in order to grant the executive branch and its minions wholly unconstitutional powers rivaling that of the old soviet KGB..

So frankly, I am hard pressed to imagine how it could be *possible* for someone to fuck up this country more than the efforts of the last 8 years have already accomplished. George Bush has done more to destroy America than Osama Bin Laden *ever* could have.. even in his wildest dreams.

Certainly, "King George" and his minions have had their accomplices in treason... Including almost the entire membership of the 107th United States Congress.. But that fact certainly does not absolve him of his own actions.

Now, that bit being said... I kind of like Obama for one reason, and one reason only. He offers, in whatever illusory form, the notion of "hope" for the future. It's full of shit, I realize this.. the only "Hope" this nation has is the breaking of the stranglehold on power held jointly by the Republican and Democratic parties, and the establishment of what is essentially a wholly new government based on a plurality of representation... But damnit, the man is about the *only* optimism that's floating around out there, with the possible exception of the "Cult of Ron Paul".. which, frankly, is just a little too creepy for me... kinda like Scientology in that respect.

Not that I'm willing to actually *Vote* for any of them..

See, Unlike most Americans, I refuse to recognize the legitimacy of the US Government. I just happen to recognize fraud when I see it. I also refuse to sanction the process that forces a set of rulers upon me whether I want them or not, whether they are qualified and competent or not, by participating in it. A choice to follow one of 2 walking piles of shit pretty much *always* involves living in a perpetual stink.

Don't Vote. It Only Encourages Them. If voting were actually *able* to change things, things would have been changed decades ago.

Drue... Minus the don't vote part... that is the sexiest statement ever made in the history of the world. And by sexy I mean i fucking worship you.