Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

RC 2

So far so good....

And now the sky&cam work with the "show moons" option.

Nice work!

Video card: Intel 945G

Vendor ID: Intel

OpenGL Version: 1.4.0 - Build 4.14.10.4543

It's difficult to know whether it's ongoing problems with my computer or not, but I have been resyncing like crazy since installing the latest RC, but no further hard system crashes like I reported with the previous client.

This has happened several times since I installed the new client. Don't recall it every happening before that. I was harvesting when this one happened not even touching the computer. If any other infomation would be helpful let me know. Oh, and I love the sky and level effects.

umet6.th.jpg

I don’t think there was any event at the time. Can’t be 100% sure because I was not looking directly at the screen when it happened and I don’t know if messages show up through that grey mess.

Ok I read both threads on the pre rc and I don't see anyone else having the problem I'm having. First of all I'm now seeing floating heads. Its like the mesh for certain clothes is not installed. So I tried reinstalling game from official site, then loading the pre rc2. Still same. Its not all clothes just some.

Untitled-1.jpg

Also in inventory the new weapons arent visible ie. bows and arrows.

I am also unable to get into the willowvine academy. Its as if I got transported into EL of the past like 3 or 4 months ago.

Hope someone is able to help with this cause I'm at a loss.

Thanks,

phrank

*edit to add screenie

Edited by phrank

I don’t think there was any event at the time. Can’t be 100% sure because I was not looking directly at the screen when it happened and I don’t know if messages show up through that grey mess.

To see the last messages when this happen, open and look at the end of the chat_log.txt file that should be in the "Eternal Lands\main" directory in your documents and settings.

@phrank: do you also have the problem when you don't install the RC2?

If yes, it's probably a problem related to your data directory setting. So check if it's pointing to the good directory in the misc options tab.

System specs please.

Video card - ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO, memory 512MB DDR2

OpenGL version 2.0.6956 (found by using #glinfo in game), 6.14.10.6956 (found in graphics card control center)

Direct3D version 7.14.10.0532

General system info:

OS is windows vista home basic

Physical memory 1.5GB, 934.10MB available

Virual Memory 3.23GB, 2.19GB available

Processor Intel Celeron D CPU 3.46GHz,

Just ask if you need something else.

Try to disable the fog, that card has issues with the fog (other issues, but you can never know).

If the fog is already disabled, try to update your video drivers.

I've been running on Pre-RC 2 for several days now and it loads up quicker than the current official version and I haven't found any problems. The game slows down sometimes but it hasn't crashed and runs fine if I only have the game window showing on my desktop. I can run the sky and effects without getting any lags and only occasional resyncs. It runs fine for my purposes as I don't usually go into maps with a lot of animations. Thanks Ent and everyone else who's made this version. If you make an NDD invasion soon I'll take part.

Actually, I have virtually no role in making this particular client, except for acting as a middleman and stuff. It's Schmurk that did most of the recent work with the sky (and Roja on the graphics side).

Unsure if this is a bug or a feature, but when you try to make a character whose name is too long, the client closes after pressing done for the second time.

Yep, Catalist 8.6 installed 3 days ago.

glinfo:

Video card: RADEON 9600 SERIES

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 2.1.7659 Release

<Edit>

It also happens with the statistics window and all its tabs, notepad, encyclopedia and options.

If any other window is opened (e.g. if you have statistics window opened and then you open your inventory) the "effect" disappears.

Edited by Kwas

Unsure if this is a bug or a feature, but when you try to make a character whose name is too long, the client closes after pressing done for the second time.
It's a nasty bug. I've spent some time tacking it down but now I know the cause it might take a little longer to resolve correctly.

For some reason, the server does not accept the player name. The loop waitting for the server is horribly nested and eventually explodes. The first point might be easy to fix but the nested loop must go! If anyone else is working on this please let me know it might take some time to fix....

Edited by bluap

I've installed and successfully running RC2 on all three platforms in siggy. No crashes upon loading or running game so far.

I do have the same "dissappearing" mouse pointer when the mouse isnt moving on game screen only (Laptop). The client know's where the pointer is located on the screen - clicking game buttons and object on screen works, but the pointer disappears when mouse is still.

That's all I have so far....

RC2 has been working well since we initially installed it on our three platforms :pickaxe: We have added a new HP laptop which I've included in my siggy below.

This new HP laptop is running RC2 with everything turned "on" with no major issues except...the screen movement becomes very 'jerky' near water. While on PV MAP for eg., near the two fountains (just west of sto) I notice that the fountains' particles and the waves in the water are pulsating at the same rate as this noticeable 'jerkiness'. And when I'm standing still I notice that the movements of others who pass me by also jerky at the same fequency as the water and particles. If I turn the reflections option 'off' the 'jerkiness' seems to be reduced somewhat. I've toggled every other "graphics related" option with no reduction in the jerkiness.

In regards to our missing mouse pointer problem as mentioned above, i've noticed that when the client is initializing the pointer icon is 'white' and visible. Then I notice that the pointer turns 'black' and is still visible. However, when the RC's initialization is just about complete, the pointer turns 'white' again and then disappears just before the login screen.

EDIT: HP Laptop;

Vista

NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS/PCI/SSE2

OpenGL 2.1.2

Edited by marack

Hi all,

I just installed the second RC thanks to bluap's debian packages. So far I haven't met any bug or slow down in the game experience, but I have a couple of remarks about the changes:

- I noticed there's a sort of "auto-rotation" when the character moves, this has the unpleasant side-effect of covering your opponent when you flee from combat and start combat again

- the minimap has changed a lot! I have some issues with the new version though:

* it's quite smaller

* the zoom in function seems to be very limited (can't zoom more than a certain level)

* a circular frame around it would be useful to make it visually distinct from the normal background (it also looks "bare" as is now), draggable through the frame, close button blended in the frame

* lost the "sticky" functionality :)

This is a very stable RC, keep up the good work devs! :)

Rehdon

EDIT: I just noticed the "Keep camera behind camera option" which solves my first point. The configuration menu is getting a little crowded ...

Edited by Rehdon

* a circular frame around it would be useful to make it visually distinct from the normal background (it also looks "bare" as is now), draggable through the frame, close button blended in the frame
Not sure I understand this, the minimap has a frame. It should look like this when the mouse his over the window. The window is dragable using the title bar. When you move the mouse away from the window the title bar disappears.

gallery_14814_13_15322.jpg

If your minimap does not look like that then something is wrong with your install :) I presume you let the program launcher correct your el.ini file settings when you started the game. With these Linux packages, if you run the client from the installed icon, it runs a wrapper script that checks your el.ini file settings and offers to correct them if they don't reference the installed data.

Not sure I understand this, the minimap has a frame. It should look like this when the mouse his over the window. The window is dragable using the title bar. When you move the mouse away from the window the title bar disappears.

This is what I expected to see in fact (as far as I remember from the old minimap thread in another section of the forum). What I get is the title bar only, no frame around the circular minimap.

If your minimap does not look like that then something is wrong with your install :) I presume you let the program launcher correct your el.ini file settings when you started the game. With these Linux packages, if you run the client from the installed icon, it runs a wrapper script that checks your el.ini file settings and offers to correct them if they don't reference the installed data.

Ok, I think I know what's wrong with the install: I'm still using the 1.6.0 data files in my home directory, so either I just update them with the most recent data or I point EL to the /share version. The wrapper script didn't ask about the el.ini settings, perhaps because I already settled that when I first installed the DEB EL packages.

BTW, do you think something could be done, perhaps in a future version, wrt the other problems I mentioned (limited zoom, minimap not sticky anymore)?

Thanks,

Rehdon

Ok, I think I know what's wrong with the install: I'm still using the 1.6.0 data files in my home directory, so either I just update them with the most recent data or I point EL to the /share version. The wrapper script didn't ask about the el.ini settings, perhaps because I already settled that when I first installed the DEB EL packages.
The wrapper script checks your settings each time unless you forced it not to do so; by creating the file "$HOME/.elc/no.el.ini.check". If you did, just delete that file and relaunch. Anyway we should probably be discussing this on the other thread. :)

BTW, do you think something could be done, perhaps in a future version, wrt the other problems I mentioned (limited zoom, minimap not sticky anymore)?
Possibly. May be you should visit the minimap2 discussion thread and make some suggestions there.

284 hour's ago I decided to test this RC of the client and post any crash-logs I got, (the latest release has been crashing a lot) but no such luck, lol. After running the client continually for almost 284 hour's I decided it was time for a reboot of my PC, as some of my other programs including Windows show signs of needing a reboot.

Over the almost 12 days of running EL I have switched maps and continent's, beamed, teleported, harved, fought, died, alched etc. while afk the client has been running in the background, even with my PC in power-save mode. The client has survived two server updates, several network failures, and anything I have been able to throw at it.

The only thing I have to report is, that when the fps is low, or during lag, clicking on elevated items with a limited horizontal length often result in a click far behind the item. As far as I can tell, this seems to be caused by the click happening after the item has moved relative to where the mouse was pointed at the time I clicked.

So, all in all this is just a thumbs-up for the good work. :)

Yep, Catalist 8.6 installed 3 days ago.

glinfo:

Video card: RADEON 9600 SERIES

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 2.1.7659 Release

<Edit>

It also happens with the statistics window and all its tabs, notepad, encyclopedia and options.

If any other window is opened (e.g. if you have statistics window opened and then you open your inventory) the "effect" disappears.

I've helped someone in game to install the same drivers and he has exactly the same problem. He had black chars before installing the driver and after he had black chars only when he was close to the wraith or when he had some windows opened.

Unfortunately he had the old client and he's not at ease with computers so I wasn't able to make him turn off the vertex program to see if that helps.

Kwas, with this client, you should have an option to disable them in the video tab. It's called "Use animation programs". Can you try to disable it and see if that helps?

Without animation programs the black chars effect disappears but textures are still being altered.

Also I've noticed that I cannot reproduce the bug right after starting the client - everything works ok for about 20 sec.