Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Mage class idea

Your alternative option is too powerfull.

How so? It depends how long you can get through MI for with the spell, which could be tweaked. Also, my first suggestion has a similar problem that I'm surprised you didn't point out with a weak 50 mag nexus char being used purely as a mag removal tool.

However, that issue can also be addressed by only allowing the caster of the MI removal spell to cast negative spells on the opponent once cast.

Why not replace the magic immunity spell by a spell that just like the magic protection spell would give magic protection but like + 50 magic protection (or whatever magic protection is needed to even make high magic/rationality players do almost no damage) and call it greater magic protection or smth.

Because many other things depend on magic resistence, such as the spells of the animals, the special weapons and armor, etc.

Another idea would be to split it up:

Let magic resistance defend only against spells and let magic protection defend only against special hits of weapons / summons.

This would currently give:

Bronze set, would be good against spells and special hits then (+7 magic resistance +7 magic protection)

Black set, reasonable against spells, very good against special hits (+3 magic resistance +10 magic protection)

Red set, not good against spells, reasonable against special hits (+0 magic resistance +5 magic protection)

Ti set , not good against spells, reasonable against special hits (+0 magic resistance +2 magic protection)

and ofcourse a steel or ti shield gives +4 magic protection aswell.

Warlock cape gives +8 magic resistance.

The stats can be tweaked aswell ofcourse

But this prolly is a lot of work.

Noone ever mentioned it but If you spend 40 pp's just to a Mage Class Perk, How could those people get their money for essies/pots??? :)

If a CLASS will be added to game, then that kind of people should only to that thingy, i mean, if someone choose being a Mage, s/he should be able to make all money/essies/pots with just doing magic IMO...

-Kad

Personally I wouldnt like this thing with nexus/pp. Simply because theyre buyable. I see in the long term.

Offtopic: Just harmed a mage for 1hp damage. Im lvl 63 magic :) .

Personally I wouldnt like this thing with nexus/pp. Simply because theyre buyable. I see in the long term.

Offtopic: Just harmed a mage for 1hp damage. Im lvl 63 magic :) .

because it's not about magic lvl, just rationality :hug:

Edited by Jaclaw

Offtopic: Just harmed a mage for 1hp damage. Im lvl 63 magic :hug: .

because it's noy about magic lvl, just rationality :P

Yeah, I managed to figure that out :) , the %/% is a bit off imo lol.

Let me try this as a suggestion

Remove Magic Immunity Spell

Reagents 1 Enriched Air Essence 1 E Magic Essence

Magic level required 70

Mana subtracted 75

Spell removes Magic immunity for 5 to 10 seconds based on rationailty/magic level equation?

1) EAE would have to be implemented first =P

2) this would probably only be used in TD, where there could be an incentive...would it really be worth it to spend ~5k gc per kill (depending on the price of the [non-existant] EAE)

Magic level required 70

Mana subtracted 75

Spell removes Magic immunity for 5 to 10 seconds based on rationailty/magic level equation?

2) this would probably only be used in TD, where there could be an incentive...would it really be worth it to spend ~5k gc per kill (depending on the price of the [non-existant] EAE)

Is it worth 5K? Sure it is :)

The same as a summoned Yeti costs a few enriched esses. Special skill / big costs for big results?

and yes I realize EAE would have to pe implemented first. lol.

Magic level required 70

Mana subtracted 75

Is it worth 5K? Sure it is :)

The same as a summoned Yeti costs a few enriched esses. Special skill / big costs for big results?

and yes I realize EAE would have to pe implemented first. lol.

You are aware, that if you'd put this in practice... you could beat (kill if done nicely) someone 100% for 5k...?

Is 5k not better then perk that always kills 100% of the time?

Not really no.

5k to kill someone is alot cheaper than getting ~120 oa. :)

make the EAE very very rare? someone posted 5k for an example, but could be worth more, say 25k, same price as a giant stone which may not kill everyone, and if duration of spell is 5 seconds, who said you would be garantee victory? dis/tele like everyone else that thinks they might lose

All i can say with complete certainty is that giving people the ability to go straight through MI, with every single spell they cast, even if it costs 40 pp's, will decrease PK activity... unless there's more people out there who want to be Mages than Fighters (highly unlikely)... even then, PK would just be a mage-fest, which i doubt is the desired goal.

The attribute cap decreased the gap between the powerful and the weak to a degree. To that degree and in that dynamic it was a good thing, but i seriously doubt we'll get the same results from this 'playing field leveler'.

IMO, stop trying to enhance the mage class to be anything more than it currently is. There's already mages out there getting kills anyway. (at most just implement my suggested spell :icon13: )

If this perk is coming and nothing will stop it (i seriously hope that is not the case), it should significantly increase the mana used for each spell. Mages need to be forced to wear a CoM or some other expensive equipment to be strong in PK, if they can run around naked with a few essences on them, it wont hurt enough when they die, they will just keep coming and coming and coming and eventually the fighters will get very frustrated that mages are laughing when they get killed cause all they dropped was a few essences, where as the fighters get a rosto poofed.

EDIT:

Oh and about the other suggested MI removal spell;

The spell lacks foresight.

How is making it require magic:70 a good thing? most 70+ mag people are very high a/d'ers (giving more power to the already powerful) and it's pretty harsh on the up-and-coming mages... and giving it 100% success rate (once successfully cast) is also a very bad thing, again it just makes super-strong fighter-mages, my suggested MI removal spell is way more risky to cast (unless you're invis and are just going to leave PK area if it fails), with my spell most people will have a chance to fail when casting on most other people, and when that happens; bb 80 mana with no benefit. It should keep the fighters as fighters and the mages as mages to a good degree, no (or at least, minimal) super-strong fighter-mages.

Edited by Korrode

40 pick points is WAY too easy and I agree it does actually make a class in EL instead of choices. This is too over powered for too little effort. It has been shown that top level players who are not negged out now and EASILY get those 40 pick points.

It takes pick points to raise stats and only the recently returned LuciferX, to my knowlege, can afford to max out every attribute. The restoration spell is linked to rationality and I am guessing some of the other spells are linked to attributes too but since no one is sharing the formulas here is my idea.

Heal uses a formula base on will.

Remote heal uses a formula based on reasoning.

Restoration uses a formula based on rationality.

Heal summons uses a formula based on vitality.

A new heal spell that gives full health or is in some way better than restoration uses etherality.

* This could be done for life drain if it is considered a heal spell.

Poison uses a will based formula.

Life Drain uses a reasoning based formula.

Harm uses a rationality based formula.

Smite Summons uses a vitality based formula.

Mana Drain uses an etherality based formula.

If you want to add in a spell for breaking magic immunity a complex formula based on rationality and etherality could make it a very difficult spell to use effectively for anyone but mages. This would IMO still of course depend on the removal of magic attack multicombat on all maps ability. Obviously it would take a huge amount of pick points to make this spell effective and so the persons capable would be rare indeed. Having magic only be multicombat on multi maps would make this spell very similar to current multifighting methods. Yes it is faster using magic than multiple players attacking but if you put a very small cooldown on some offensive spells that could be mitigated too.

It will not affect their current fighting abilities since there is no change to restoration or to harm. Only those attacking with magic predominantly would see a change and that is if they don't use harm. This system would leave mages little opportunity for emu pick points so they would either need EMU pets, that will eventually come, or they will have to sacrifice spell power here and there and/or neg up just like fighters do to be uber. Later spells if any could be mixed and matched or just put in with similar spells on the different formulas already available. Everyone knowing at least which attributes/cross attributes they needed even without knowing formulas would still allow strategic decision making.

There are ideas about the MI breaking spell itself that could be added to this idea to make breaking MI even harder as well. This would limit the number of people in game who can break MI to just a handful and there are already a handful of people everyone runs from anyway. Those players can still be killed in multicombat even with my idea implemented.

Yes I know, IRL rich people can buy this and buy that and be oh so much more uber than everyone else. They support the game and Entropy isn't going to take away their advantage just to make everyone who doesn't like it happy. I simply ignore what players with money can do since they pay for the game and are spending money they worked to get just like they have to work to get gold coins.

Tirun

Forgot to mention that you could add a lot more spells if you used this system because you would not be instantly powering up every player in game since they would all use different attributes/cross attributes but could still use the formulas already being used by the above spells. Yes mage players find it harder to level than A/Ders but didn't someone once tell me that the highest OA player in game was not a PKer? If it can be done then I don't see a problem with it being hard to do. It should be hard.

Edited by TirunCollimdus

Everyone seems to have been posting the extremes here about what damage can be inflicted with this spell plus that ring plus the other attribute selection and how MI should not be bypassed and perhaps altered to having a protection or other type spell to use as an alternative to removing someones MI...but I wonder...

Would these examples and the ability to bypass someones MI really be so very bad? Surely it just shifts the focus for strategy onto what MR type items you need to pk with if you know theres definitely a Mage class around the pk map?

Just because someone can send their spell thru your MI doesnt guarantee they will do the damage to either your health or mana as has been posted if YOU have had the sense to gear accordingly for fighting the Mage with high MR items...and this isnt even taking into account the other things Entropy says are possibly planned to be added to supplement this new perk (with regards MR being added to new and existing armour and weapon types).

I believe there will still be a decent balance struck using MR items in the future if this is implemented.

One other note, I have seen a few people here posting how it will "ruin pk" yet from the other posts here it seems that having pr0 mages will mean more people trying to pk using magic...how can the pk maps be empty if they're full of mages? So how is having more people in pk maps ruining pk? Empty pk maps ruin pk, no?

Just be thankful no one has suggested the "Sigil removal spell" yet coz then teh flames would really start.

edit: My point really is this..lets not turn this thread into another "bitch about shit that isnt even ingame yet" thread please?

Edited by Pyewacket

Everyone seems to have been posting the extremes here about what damage can be inflicted with this spell plus that ring plus the other attribute selection and how MI should not be bypassed
idk who exactly you're directing your comments at, but if i recommend against something it's because i can see how i can use it to my own advantage to become very powerful, too powerful.

Concerns about the extremes others will go to is only one of the many things i consider.

If i can spend 40 pp's and have my spells go through MI i will be #resetting and a few months later i'll make anyone who doesn't have the same ability, even if they're 20 a/d higher than me, very frustrated in PK.

Just because someone can send their spell thru your MI doesnt guarantee they will do the damage to either your health or mana as has been posted if YOU have had the sense to gear accordingly for fighting the Mage with high MR items...
From what i hear the current MR items dont offer enough resistance/protection.

and this isnt even taking into account the other things Entropy says are possibly planned to be added to supplement this new perk (with regards MR being added to new and existing armour and weapon types).
Well i'm certainly not going to agree with a change based on some equipment stats changes that we might get, that might make the situation ok.

I believe there will still be a decent balance struck using MR items in the future if this is implemented.
I'll "believe" there'll be a decent balance when all planned changes are laid out for me in detail to analyze. I don't have blind faith in anything or anyone, i believe something when i see it. So far this philosophy has worked very well for me, in all aspects of my life. :P;)

One other note, I have seen a few people here posting how it will "ruin pk" yet from the other posts here it seems that having pr0 mages will mean more people trying to pk using magic...how can the pk maps be empty if they're full of mages? So how is having more people in pk maps ruining pk? Empty pk maps ruin pk, no?
will decrease PK activity... unless there's more people out there who want to be Mages than Fighters (highly unlikely)... even then, PK would just be a mage-fest, which i doubt is the desired goal.

Hope i haven't come off too aggressive or arrogant Pye, i'm just countering each of your points.

EDIT:

edit: My point really is this..lets not turn this thread into another "bitch about shit that isnt even ingame yet" thread please?
I try to never 'just bitch', i always offer reasoning. Edited by Korrode

when mages have the power to kill anyone in 3 seconds, which is the case if this gets implemented no other fighter will ever enter a Pk map, and that number is definitly 10 times as high as the number of mages. there should be NO WAY for a mage with 60 magic and negged attributes to be able to instant kill a player with 140-150 a/d. that's just not logic, if this perk gets implemented even for 50 pickpoints i'll take it and smash everyones face with 48 r/w + 73 magic, that's just not fair/good for PK.

and about ur "bitch about shit that isnt even ingame yet".. later, it's too late to bitch.

I would rather see some new item like wizards staff that would lower sr cooldown time and give u more mana. And new spells maybe fireballs etc? There are lots of spells in rpg games that would fit right in i like number and variety of spells in morrowing for an instance. And then maybe spell taking magic immunity down costing like 200 mana? Thet would force cooperation between mages and fighters and fix the situation when strongest fighters are also best mages. Please look at my siggy and don't be mad at me ;)

I understand that most top mages are also top fighters (13/15 players with the highest magic levels also have 130+ a/d), so why not make the MI rem spell require high rationality, not high magic?

I understand that most top mages are also top fighters (13/15 players with the highest magic levels also have 130+ a/d), so why not make the MI rem spell require high rationality, not high magic?

I agree

I disagree, then all PKers will be forced to take high rationality. Less choice in attribute layout, less diversity, the game gets even more boring.

If we really can't live without screwing the current magic system, I like the expensive MI removal spell the best. If you have mana, you can recast MI, sounds fair

I disagree, then all PKers will be forced to take high rationality. Less choice in attribute layout, less diversity, the game gets even more boring.

If we really can't live without screwing the current magic system, I like the expensive MI removal spell the best. If you have mana, you can recast MI, sounds fair

We can possibly see more people in the PK. A fighter to the melee and the mage to mess with his magic.

Currently fighters already have reasoning.

If the benefits of rationailty get even bigger, people will soon stop taking vit/inst and just pump will too.

Then were back at beginning, mage class dissapeared.

My idea not only provides for a much greater diversity in character builds it also makes breaking MI extremely pick point intensive. It will mean that fighters simply cannot do it and that mage characters will have to attain very high levels before doing it. This would leave the eventual number of people in game who can do it successfully very, very low.

My idea seems to solve every problem everyone is complaining about. There would be around 10 different formulas for spells with my idea and that means you can set up around 10 different 'schools' of spells. People can focus on whichever area of spell casting is important to them and then pick up the others as they go. When a player gets high enough they have powerful magic in every aspect but they still cannot be super mages without negging out.

Fighters need dexterity and toughness. Mages would need rationality and etherality. Similar requirements could be arranged for summoners too. Then all three offensive types of players would have attribute based benefits from their chosen builds. There are different builds for fighters and for mages that require different cross attributes but needing 4 or more cross attributes to be make both fighter and mage builds makes it nearly impossible to do both at the same time.

Tirun