Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Mage class idea

As you know, right now the mage class is pretty much identical to the fighter class, but magic is pretty useless except for invasions and for the restore spell.

Since most of the people use magic immunity in PK situations, offensive spells such as harm and poison are not very useful for PKing.

So here is my idea:

New perk, called "The Mage" or something like that.

It will cost ~40 PPs (yes, a lot), so those who take it will not be able to be good fighters (unless they are very, very, very rich IRL).

This perk would allow your spells to bypass the magic immunity, and possibly also give some magic bonus, such as half mana, etc.

For those who do not take the perk, nothing will change.

The details are not ironed out yet, so what I am asking for is some discussion on the subject (constructive stuff only), and I am especially looking for the PKers feedback (since it will be mostly for them).

"It will cost ~40 PPs (yes, a lot), so those who take it will not be able to be good fighters (unless they are very, very, very rich IRL)."

So these will be nexus? iirc only nexus can be bought.

The whole mage idea is not bad. I can already do 40+ harm and im not even high reasoning, some ppl can do crazy amounts of harm already with no perk. Not sure pk would stay alive if they can harm past the MI, anyone fighting would have to restore at 150+ hp at all times to not get pkd w/the help of a mage.

The first thing that comes to my mind, and it is by no means a completely thought out though, is that fighters have no such pickpoint sacrifice to do what they do. Sure they need to fill out coord and phys, then vit/reasoning/whatever (and the human nex of course), but that provides a raft of other benefits. The mage class participants will be throwing the 40pp or whatever it is into the well, getting just the benefit of the magic immunity breach and the half-mana if that occurs.

S.

hmm....According to my adding, you can get 39 points from neg perks (not counting ICD and gelly, as most fighters don't like these). That would mean that a fully negged char with 100 oa, "all" negs (power hungry, scotty died, godless, hellspawn, anti, HoS), and decent magic could absolutely destroy in PK with his 120+ harms (and still have some points for some nexus)...this idea could work in my opinion, but needs to be tweaked quite a bit.

Edited by Shujral

I think it is a great idea! I especially like the "half mana" idea. I am not a pker yet...but do intend to, and actually right now trying to find a way to be a mage type character, without being totally knocked back by the magic immunity.

I have wished, and they have been answered.

I also like the 40 pp idea...since mana drain, harm, and poison can be overwhelming on the battlefield.

All in all, I would really love to see this ingame, and see how it plays off :mean:

After seeing some other postes, I decided to edit this a bit.

If people can do 120+ harms, maybe tweaking certain spells down a bit may be an idea...or putting new items in the game to combat those numbers? Or any ideas to make a more fair playing field.

Edited by Ariet

I would prefer an MI removal spell, having people out there can go straight through you immune, every single spell, is too powerful imo.

I have a suggestion for the formula for an MI removal spell too:

Break MI spell

Required magic level: 55

So 50% chance to fail casting the the spell initially at mag 55. Mag 83 for no fail cast.

I think thats fair

Casting cost: 80 mana

No cost if initial casting fails (like all spells), but still costs if spell is defended against (unlike other spells)

So the spell is quite risky to cast for a person already engaged in close quarters combat

Irregularity: If spell is defended against, it will not make an invisible person visible (unlike other spells)

Keep the pure mages happy, they wont get a rosto poofed everytime the spell is defended against

Formula:

(d50 means the result of a roll of a 50 sided dice)

attack roll:

((rat x2) + (mag x0.5)) + d50 = att_result

defend roll:

(rat + (mag x1.5)) + d50 = def_result

att_result must be higher than def_result for spell to be successful.

The attack roll highly favours a Pure Mage build, and ensures high rationality increases the success chances significantly.

The defend roll ensures close quarters combat characters who have still put a lot of work into their magic level have a good chance to defend against this spell, while still giving a decent bonus for rationality.

So these will be nexus? iirc only nexus can be bought.

50 hydro bars = 1 nexus.

1 nexus + 1 nexus removal stone = 1 free pp

1 free pp = ~715k gc

40 free pp = ~29 million gc, which is a hell of a lot of $, hence Ent's "very very very very IRL rich" comment I believe

This perk will kill pk. a player will have a mage in waiting while u pk and poof pop in and kill players while pking another fighters which in turn will cause many pkers stop pking therefore buying no items to pk with so manu, alchers, and potions will have no 1 to sell there stuff to. pk is what keeps this game alive and if pk dies then so does el.

reason for edit misspelled words

Edited by buttswife

hmm....According to my adding, you can get 39 points from neg perks (not counting ICD and gelly, as most fighters don't like these). That would mean that a fully negged char with 100 oa, "all" negs (power hungry, scotty died, godless, hellspawn, anti, HoS), and decent magic could absolutely destroy in PK with his 120+ harms (and still have some points for some nexus)...this idea could work in my opinion, but needs to be tweaked quite a bit.

If you take godless you have a big dissadvantage for a PKer.

If you take hellspawn, just getting to a PK map will suck :mean:

Not sure pk would stay alive if they can harm past the MI, anyone fighting would have to restore at 150+ hp at all times to not get pkd w/the help of a mage.

I agree with scarface. This will definitely have a major impact on PKing. I'm not so sure how much of a good idea this is.

Also it should really be more than 40 pps probably some unrealistic number such as 70 or so and it should also break #reset.

I would prefer an MI removal spell, having people out there can go straight through you immune, every single spell, is too powerful imo.

Your idea is not bad either, however it won't lead to a mage class.

This perk will kill pk. a ppl will have a mage in waiting while u pk and poof pop in and kill ppl's while pking another fighters which in turn will cause many pkers stop pking therefore buying no items to pk with so manu, alchers, and potions will have no 1 to sell there stuff to. pk is what keeps this game alive and if pk dies then so some el.

I gotta disagree with you there, many people have spent a LOT of gc buying supplies to train into the 100's, but don't PK (Desertus, Raz, Molime)

Some kind of spell overpassing MI would definitely help, not sure of how that would be but for sure that would help in pk. I still think that Magic level should be more important than attributes, anyone can harv for a few hours and max out reasoning, but takes quite some time and a lot of gc to lvl magic.

The way that I think would definitely bring a "mage class" to the game is making ppl work on their magic lvl. Say once u hit 75 magic and get your magic nexus to 12 or so u can automatically over pass MI by 50% get to 85 magic n 20 nexus n u can over passit 100%. Just a suggestion.

Edited by scarface

If you take godless you have a big dissadvantage for a PKer.

If you take hellspawn, just getting to a PK map will suck :mean:

If you're ebul rich enough, you just tele everywhere =P.

You have a good point with godless though: Even without it, you could still have 44 rationality, which can still be extremely deadly with high magic ^^

Heh maybe things like Warlock Cloaks and what not, may finally come into play ^^.

Ability to bypass MI will render Warlock Cloaks useless if I understand correctly.

In any case, this does add another twist to the game, so maybe this is a good idea after all.

Yeah, and the bronze armor :mean:

Plus, if this suggestion is 'approved', then I will also make some other items that give magic resistence, or add some magic resistence to stuff that isn't used, such as the helms.

Ability to bypass MI will render Warlock Cloaks useless if I understand correctly.

No, not at all.

Some kind of spell overpassing MI would definitely help, not sure of how that would be but for sure that would help in pk. I still think that Magic level should be more important than attributes, anyone can harv for a few hours and max out reasoning, but takes quite some time and a lot of gc to lvl magic.

The way that I think would definitely bring a "mage class" to the game is making ppl work on their magic lvl. Say once u hit 75 magic and get your magic nexus to 12 or so u can automatically over pass MI by 50% get to 85 magic n 20 nexus n u can over passit 100%. Just a suggestion.

I have a question though...what would be the point of having a mage class, if you're spending so much on nexus...then on ther perk. Only to have not enough PP to power up other attributes for a very long time...since unless you're incredibly quick with the mouse, as, as far as I know there isn't automatic magic caster, so you'll most likely get hit with two attacks from a melee weapon, to your one harm or mana drain etc. Or you're expecting everyone to be a pure mage? Which would still leave out key attribute ssuch as coord...more than phys in my opinion. But still you need emu, as well as a dodging/defense plan as a mage. Just a thought.

[

Edited by Ariet

Ok

For a moment I would like to talk about my experince in game as a "mage"

I have 88 Pick Points invested in will/reasoning at the moment. Magic level is pretty low at level 40

I have only recently started this charater, about 2 , 2.5 months old.

I have 300 emu at the moment with 199 s2e swords saved up for a nexus

My a/d is pretty low at 48/55

In my experince, so far on this server and the pk server, we already have a mage class.

To make any gc's in game, or make bars for a nexus is time consuming with 300 emu.

Depending on whom I cast harm on and their attributes and the equipment they are wearing my harm ranges between 95-110 hit points. Also depending I suppose on astro and will/reasoning/magic pots can be a bit more.

40 pickpoints in my opinion to bypass the MI spell, is not worth it at all with this type of character build/strategy. Korrode has the best idea I have seen so far concerning this matter.

I have pked actively as a mage for the last few weeks, and have pked a few people that would normaly be very safe in a fight with a character this young.(you know whom you are)

From what I can tell, unless people are expecting a mage to attack, they are completly prepared for it with MI spell cast every 90 seconds. Part of being a mage, is in my view to use your skills and catch people a little off gaurd. You would be surprised with the number of people that found themselves un-prepared. For those that I attacked that where completly prepared. I stood little chance to fight hand to hand. With very little toughness/armor/coordination I often found myself killed in 2 hits, too fast to even dis/tele. The same goes for the people that were 2X Harm and perished. I would argue that the mage class does exist already with PP distribution. Like I say, kroddes Idea of level 85magic 50% chance to remove mi is more then a fair alternatve.

Anyhow, those are my experinces with this build, it has been fun/intresting and a bit bothersome making steel bars at mine with 300 emu :mean:

To Wizzy: I still think that if you're going to have a % based on level, you'll be wasted as a mage because it takes a incredible amount of time to get that high for one, and a incredible amount of GC to do so. There would be little point, except for those who already excel at PvP and most likely wouldn't want to spend the GC or the reset just to make a mage character. I think people are leaving out facts such as magic defense, and possible tweaks in the growth/strength of offensive spells. You need EMU to carry which is coord/phys, you need health and mana which is will/vit...but yeeah.

i would just rather have spells like harm when casted on a target even though that person has magic immunity it still has a chance to work but if blocked by MI will still cost mana. So maby 80% chance of failing and 20% chance of succeeding depending on your magic lvl and the Mage perk could cost less PP like maby 5-10 and give you the advantage of having a higher chance of bypassing your opponent's MI.But even if your magic is very high like say 85 and above or something + this perk you still have a chance to fail only very minimal like say 10% chance fail 90% chance to succeed so no one in PK can be sure that harm would 100% work.But the higher your magic is in other words the more chance you can successfully bypass your opponents MI the more mana the spell would cost.

#edit forgot to add some stuffs in.

Edited by PriVate

to Private: that still wont add a mage class.. i think as long as radu adds some items to protect us someway from the mage's everything should be ok.. maybe try it out on test server