Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
majestyk

"The Wardrobe"

When new things enter the game, I often think about how they might look on me, and what might suit me best - the black one, or the blue one?

Unfortunately, there is no way to really test it in advance - "borrowing" nice items "to see how they look" or just buying and reselling is not an option if you want to toy around with various combinations.

My idea would be to have a special room/house with a NPC where you can get ANY item for free - but it can't leave the house. So you can try on all kinds of armor, weapons, clothing to your liking, take screenshots, decide what to buy or even spend $USD for. Since it would probably be complicated to control which items were brought into the house, I'd suggest to just enforce a "come nakey, leave nakey" policy. :)

What do you think?

Cheers,

maj

Any Tailor who enjoys their role and whom you have trust with, will supply this service :) But a useful idea, maybe make it a dressing room and stage such as in WSC for use with big EL events and performances :hug:

Any Tailor who enjoys their role and whom you have trust with, will supply this service :P But a useful idea, maybe make it a dressing room and stage such as in WSC for use with big EL events and performances :D

Yeah that's true, but first he must have trust in you :)

I am in the lucky position to know pr0 people in all skills, but others might not. Besides, it would still be tedious if you want to mix and mash through armor, weapons and clothing (not all tailors do also manufacture, and not all things are always on stock).

Sounds like a nice idea! Can temporary items be implemented?Or items that can only exist in one place?

I've just had an idea, make this "dressing room" a sort of death room with 100% chance of losing everything when you go out, so you might as well go in naked too.

I think The House of Bling (as I'm calling it in my mind) is not a bad idea. To some people, their look in EL is very important. While selling clothes I have often had requests to try on numerous pieces. "Can I try the red one first? Ok, now the green one. Oh, did you have white too? Can I try the red one one more time please?" Each time there's a trade, the person puts on the item, then looks at themselves, maybe comments. It doesn't take forever, and especially if I end up selling an item I don't mind that much, but it still takes up time. I think some of the more "fashionable" players have also felt bad about asking to try on various items, which isn't good for business even though I always reassure them it's ok, no problem.

I have also had people contact me and ask if I will let them switch one tunic for another tunic (for example). Sometimes they take the other color, sometimes they decide to keep their original one after all. I do this, cause there's little harm involved for me, just a couple of moments of my time, but I tell you this to illustrate the importance of just the right look to many players.

I have also traded for items/ores/minerals or sold to players who don't have a lot of money and put a lot of work into getting together the required fee. I think that there might be a number of buyers out there that may be persuaded to put in that effort if they could try on various items first. That would help not just tailors, but manu-people too with all the weapons and armor, or even crafters (cols, and coms are the only visible craft items for now I think, but maybe not forever).

The "shed all earthly possessions before you enter" or "nekkid" idea seems a good one to prevent theft. If it's not too complicated to implement, I'd like to encourage the developers to strongly consider this, especially if there are going to be more "bling" items in the game in the future :)

lilcnoot

Edit: Oh, I've got it now! Charge a modest fee per item, like 50 gc, for "rental and restocking" and that way Ent can accumulate a few more bricks over time :) Of course, then you'd have to be allowed to bring gc; or, you could just charge 50 gc to enter the house like the path to c2, and then be nekkid otherwise. Just an additional idea to get the developers some pay-back for their efforts of implementing this.

Edited by LilBear

I have to admit that I 100% agreed with Entropy even after Dushan's post. I felt if you could not inspire trust in any of the tailors in game then you were just stuck. I thought it was great to show one more reason that abiding by community rules was a good thing. Lilcnoot has however completely changed my mind. She has a great idea if it is doable. I am now completely on the other side of the fence. Lilcnoot has a great idea Entropy and I hope you decide to put it in game. :)

Tirun

The room would need to be a no-rosto area and no-magic area too, maybe even no-beam and no-tele rings if possible, so people wouldn't have any other way out of the room except for the door and lose all items that he bought/rented there just to see how it looks. There are many ways to go from place to place, and they should all be considered before actually implementing the room.

Besides the usual "derailing" the comments on this idea were all positive, and no-one voiced concerns about others getting unfair advantages. Possible exploits are rather obvious, and I am sure Radu knows about them (and how to eliminate them), so I don't see the need of discussing them.

The important questions are - Do you like the idea? Would you use it, if it would be implemented?

I personally like the idea to combine this with some kind of stage for EL appearances, this would be a lot of fun. Looking forward to EL comedy shows :D

I personally think this idea would be great for the WSC stage near 200,648. :closedeyes: There is a dressing room you have to walk through to get to the stage, and to position an NPC who will let you switch, temporarily into a certain peice of clothing which can only be worn on the stage and in the dressing room would be great for in-game plays!!

Edited by Airakose

I agree. I would definitely use the room myself as well. Not sure how many plays I would be in but I might watch a couple if I just happen to be on Seridia, which is not terribly often. I don't think we need one for each continent at this point.

Tirun

Could be a function in the client? (preview character...)

This might also allow you to see what you might want to look like for a P2P character, or just a race change, etc...

Seems like the client could preview any combination without anyone actually getting the stuff...

Can't say I'm familiar with the code enough to do something like this, yet, so I can't presume to know how much work it'd be.

I personally think this idea would be great for the WSC stage near 200,648. :P There is a dressing room you have to walk through to get to the stage, and to position an NPC who will let you switch, temporarily into a certain peice of clothing which can only be worn on the stage and in the dressing room would be great for in-game plays!!

I love this idea of being able to wear the new clothes onto stage and perform!!! :(

People could go in get changed, come on stage, play something :D, tell a joke and then go back and poof! they'd be out of character, out of clothes! :D

I love this idea of being able to wear the new clothes onto stage and perform!!! :lipssealed:

A fashion show?

I thinks this is a good idea but you wont catch me walking on a stage in front of everybody in a dress.

Lol no it would be a place for people to try clothes, first of all. But i think sometimes they could actually role play too. Some players like that, i think it would be fun :P