Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

Vote for EL Linux packages

Linux package survey  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like EL packages for your Linux distribution?

• No thanks, I'll stick with the current zip files
    • No thanks, I build my own client from CVS + zip files
    • Yes please Ubuntu (or flavor)
    • Yes please openSUSE
    • Yes please PCLinuxOS
    • Yes please Fedora
    • Yes please Mint
    • Yes please Mandriva
    • Yes please Debian
    • Yes please some other Distro
    • I don't use Linux for EL now and don't plan doing so in the future

A question for Linux users or people thinking about using Linux. Would you use installation packages for EL made for your Linux distribution? I'm talking about packages that you can install and update using your systems package management facilities, just like all your other Linux applications. I realise some packages are already available, if you use one of these then please vote appropriately. If you don't use Linux for EL and don't plan to do so then please don't vote; I've included an option for you just in case you can't resist. ;) . Thanks.

Edited by bluap

What about just an instaltion script that is executable and installs to /usr/local/games/EL and copys a desktop link to kde and gnome should be enough for novices linuix users with a small read me file that tells them who to make script executable.

No thanks

I can follow my feisty fawn guide (changing a couple of lines when they error but nothing drastic) and have ubuntu up from a new install to playing EL in a matter of minutes. It's even easier with Hardy Heron's "Want to install the restricted drivers for your graphics card?" popup.

I may just sacrifice a spare drive (I have a 200GB sat on top of my computer case) and do a full install so I can post the hardy heron guide.

I've grown accustom to compiling from CVS for a long time now, plus I would be willing to bet there are not a lot of Slackware people playing the game actively to worry about needing a Slackware specific package.

If you are looking to create distro specific packages, I would suggest a ubuntu/debian .deb package and then an rpm for those distros that use rpms. I believe those are the two types that have the largest user base. It would attract users from those systems into the game that might be scared off otherwise.

I've grown accustom to compiling from CVS for a long time now, plus I would be willing to bet there are not a lot of Slackware people playing the game actively to worry about needing a Slackware specific package.

If you are looking to create distro specific packages, I would suggest a ubuntu/debian .deb package and then an rpm for those distros that use rpms. I believe those are the two types that have the largest user base. It would attract users from those systems into the game that might be scared off otherwise.

I agree and have already had a go at Ubuntu/Debian packages. My post to the programming forum has not had a great response so I thought I try to find out the level of interest.

I usually do my own builds from CVS on ArchLinux because sound never works or crashes with the official client.

What I suggest is that we get a unified storage place where specific people are responsible for uploading at least binaries even without the data files for their distributions.

Extract Zip and do the ch-mod thing the download section tells you how to do it..But I would love to have a kubuntu or deb prepackaged file..Then I cant screw anything up.

I build from the cvs, thanks to you and others for the help. I would like to be able to get it via adept in kUbuntu or synaptic in Ubuntu.

No thanks

I can follow my feisty fawn guide (changing a couple of lines when they error but nothing drastic) and have ubuntu up from a new install to playing EL in a matter of minutes. It's even easier with Hardy Heron's "Want to install the restricted drivers for your graphics card?" popup.

I may just sacrifice a spare drive (I have a 200GB sat on top of my computer case) and do a full install so I can post the hardy heron guide.

Thanks for providing absolutely no insight or relevant input to the topic at hand.

bluap, I think it's a good idea as there will always be people who are not ofey with building from CVS, and even those who have difficulty with extracting & running EL from its current packaging methods.

Basically, it can't hurt at all. I'm inclined to say .debs at least - bearing in mind that it may be beneficial to make them compatible with both Debian and Ubuntu - and similarly for the rpm-based distributions.

I will just compile the client from cvs like I usually do.

But I think new users that want to try the game would like that.

It would be a simple way to try the game. Having it already packaged.

FWIW: I actually found EL by browsing through the gentoo repositories. I personally compile from cvs, but would definitely support EL being in repos :rolleyes:

Was similar here, found EL on happypenguin.org and then in Portage :rolleyes:

While I do compile my own client from CVS at home, I use the official one at work and agree with Bruno and Placid, it's definitely a nice to have thing.

*Looks for the option "No thanks, but go for it anyways."*

I came to EL from the linuxformat mag article where panzerfust led the screen shots.....Great article...and Great game..

I use Xubuntu atm, but am considering changing to Mint...

I thought Mint could use Ubuntu packages...?

I came to EL from the linuxformat mag article where panzerfust led the screen shots.....Great article...and Great game..

Same story here. I heard about the game from that magazine.

Same story here. I heard about the game from that magazine.

Found it from LinuxFormat too. There was a nice screenie of linuxgirlie fighting gobs! :rolleyes: BTW, where did she go?

I use Zenwalk - a Slackware derivative with XFCE desktop - and tend to compile from CVS, so I'd probably say 'Thanks, but No, thanks' ... although a .tgz might be nice ;)

OT:

@Korrode,

Since you're used to XFCE, why not try Zenwalk?

It beats the trousers off most distros, including any 'buntu! Hardware support is fantastic, and best of all, the entire systems is about 450 MB!

I didn't vote because I think packages should be available for most of the distros. But at least having debs and rpms like placid said would be great.

I'll maybe not used it personally because I compile from CVS of course but it would be something good for all the people who want to try the game fast and who don't have enough knowledge in linux to unpack a zip file and follow some basic instructions (and there are a lot of people like this). With a simple package, they would be able to just download it and install it.

Even me, when I want to install a new game I prefer to use apt-get or synaptic or at least having a .deb rather than downloading zip files, follow instructions and such things...

Or having a single installation script that contains all the game data could be nice too. Several linux games already use this technique.

I didn't vote because I think packages should be available for most of the distros. But at least having debs and rpms like placid said would be great.
I wasn't suggesting we didn't work toward packages for multiple distros, just trying to gauge interest and find where to start.

As asgnny mentioned, I also first found out about EL looking through the Gentoo Portage tree, so my distro is already covered.

Maybe getting EL into other official repositories would be good? Having eternal lands as a choice under games in Yast (Suse example) with default repos would expose more people to the game imho.

I use Xubuntu atm, but am considering changing to Mint...

I thought Mint could use Ubuntu packages...?

It probably can, or at least we can make debs from the same package files; so the work I've already done covers Mint, Debian, Ubuntu and others with one set of package creation files.

Edited by bluap

Ubuntu 8.04 versions of the deb files are now available on Ubuntu launch-pad. Other versions will follow soon. Installation is relatively easy....

1) Use the GUI tool "System->Administration->Software Sources" so add the lauch-pad source. On the "Third Party Sotfware" tab, click "Add" then enter "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pjbroad/ubuntu hardy main" in the dialogue and click "Add Source".

2) Now launch the GUI tool "System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager". Search for "eternallands". Mark each file you want to be installed (sound and music file will be available soon) then click the "Apply" icon. Note, as I'm not an official Ubuntu developer, the packages cannot be authenticated.

A few minutes later once the installation has completed, you will have a new "Eternal Lands" icon under the "Applications->Games" menu.

When updates are available, you will be asked if you wish to download and install as for any other application.

Just tested the packages, they worked great.

The only other thing i can suggest is a single .deb package on the main EL downloads page that is the current version of the game, binary and data.

Although the steps you gave above are very easy, adding a single .deb package that people can just download, double-click, and click "install package" is still a good idea, imo... brings it to the Windows level of ease of software installation.

All in all, nice work bluap :icon13:

...also, i assume a slight performance increase can be expected VS the release binary due to the use of system libraries that are (potentially) more optimised than the ones included in the static binary?