Eternal Lands Official Forums
Puntif

Mapwalk continues through combat

I think this may have been happening all along but I am seeing it more often now that the minimap can activate mapwalking.

When I try to attack something that is moving, I frequently miss and click the ground instead. While frantically trying to initiate an attack I'll click lots of times. Some of these clicks hit the actor and some of them hit the ground causing me to walk. Sometimes the client tries to keep initiating a walk even after combat has started. Sometimes this causes a successful flee and sometimes the walk will happen after the creature is dead.

I believe that when combat starts any mapwalks in progress should be cancelled.

I couldn't agree more.

Unless anyone objects, I'll add make the pathfinder stop whenever an enter_combat actor command is received for the player's actor.

I couldn't agree more.

Unless anyone objects, I'll add make the pathfinder stop whenever an enter_combat actor command is received for the player's actor.

but this makes fleeing while pvp'ing so much easier.. ;)

As I read the above, it only cancels map-walk when you click-to-attack. So using map-walk to flee should still work fine.

I couldn't agree more.

I'm not objecting but just letting you know that this was spotted before and patches produced but no consensus achieved on how best to fix it. I would favour a configurable switch to keep everyone happy; which I think the latest patch does. Here is the thread in question.

I'm not objecting but just letting you know that this was spotted before and patches produced but no consensus achieved on how best to fix it. I would favour a configurable switch to keep everyone happy; which I think the latest patch does. Here is the thread in question.

No, please, no more options, the options window is already crowded as it is. My fix will only stop the pathfinder when the fight begins. If you want to use the mapwalker to flee during the fight, my suggestion won't make a difference.

Edit: Looks like what I suggested is what the code labrat posted in that thread does.

As a side note, Puntif, you should disable the "Extend the range of the walk cursor" option when hunting things. That will make the problem you described in the first post go away.

Edited by Vegar

No, please, no more options, the options window is already crowded as it is. My fix will only stop the pathfinder when the fight begins. If you want to use the mapwalker to flee during the fight, my suggestion won't make a difference.
I didn't really want to add an option for the same reason, it was just an attempt at consensus. Having the pathfinder cancelled only at the start of a fight is a good compromise and one I didn't consider before. Hopefully, that will suit everyone else too. ;)

If you start thinking about conditionally disabling mapwalking when fight starts etc ... they you have to start thinking about mines, arrows etc ...

It's just best to leave it as it is and those that want to stop can just click on the ground once, which will already stop the map walking.

Clicking on the ground once is not a good solution, because it attempts to take you out of the combat and you can lose a few turns.

When I try to attack something that is moving, I frequently miss and click the ground instead. While frantically trying to initiate an attack I'll click lots of times. Some of these clicks hit the actor and some of them hit the ground causing me to walk. Sometimes the client tries to keep initiating a walk even after combat has started. Sometimes this causes a successful flee and sometimes the walk will happen after the creature is dead.

There is an easy fix: disable "Extend the range of the walk cursor" in the controls options during training.