Eternal Lands Official Forums
Raavea

Me, or the Server? (Uber lag + many resyncs)

I'm not entirely sure if all the system info is neccessary but it's at the bottom anyway.

The issue is whenever I log into EL it seems to be more and more laggy. The first time it was played by my BF and he says it was fine. Then I had it, and I had about 20minutes of play before lagging out and resyncs began. Now my BF told me this morning that he tried to log in and couldn't even move. I don't know if this is my connection, or because my FPS is so high (I hear too high is bad, and I usually hover around 180FPS) or because of something not-to-do-with-me such as server load etc.

Can anyone help? I don't seem to have issues using the internet to browse or download, or to log into EVE (though I can't undock without crashing so I can't tell you how well it flies).

AMD 64 X2 2.6GHz

4GB RAM

2x ATI Radeon HD PRO 2600

160GB HDD (Only just built PC so about 150ish free)

Downloaded EL the other day, so recent version.

On Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10 I think)

Got a Rangemax Netgear Wireless card, connection normally 22%ish (downloads at 200kbs generally)

I don't know if this is my connection, or because my FPS is so high (I hear too high is bad, and I usually hover around 180FPS) or because of something not-to-do-with-me such as server load etc.

Too high FPS makes the game look ugly, the actors begin to "jump" and flicker and such. I have my FPS limited to 40 and it looks great.

But for the lag out of the blue, i would first blame you, like did you install any other programs, like a file sharing tool or such, just before the game became laggy?

2nd, your connection, did anything change on your way to your ISP, like new/updated routers or such? That might be a problem too.

3rd, your ISP might have been hyper intelligent and just added 5000 new users to the line you are using and now you all have to share the bandwith of one cable. This happened to me once, but my ISP informed the customers *BEFORE* that happened, and if that causes problems, a phone call should fix it. And it did, 2 days later, they reconfigured their network and everything was fine.

4th, viruses and other malware. That might cause lag too, when Mr. Virus is too busy to phone home and send all your bank account informations every second. Try to install (and use) an anti-virus scanner. Google is your friend, there are some free virus scanners available. (have a look at the websites of some serious computer magazines, usually they recomment free and trustable anti-virus tools and offer a link for downloading them).

Just some thoughts, where you might want to have a look at :)

Piper

Too high FPS makes the game look ugly, the actors begin to "jump" and flicker and such. I have my FPS limited to 40 and it looks great.
This is something I had considered, thanks, I'll try 40-50 FPS and see how it helps, but for me the game looks fine, it just stops responding and then resyncs regularly.

But for the lag out of the blue, i would first blame you, like did you install any other programs, like a file sharing tool or such, just before the game became laggy?

2nd, your connection, did anything change on your way to your ISP, like new/updated routers or such? That might be a problem too.

3rd, your ISP might have been hyper intelligent and just added 5000 new users to the line you are using and now you all have to share the bandwith of one cable. This happened to me once, but my ISP informed the customers *BEFORE* that happened, and if that causes problems, a phone call should fix it. And it did, 2 days later, they reconfigured their network and everything was fine.

No new programs, this was one of the first things I installed on my new machine, and I don't leave file sharers on - it's like having a huge neon 'hack me' sign on my computer's back entrance. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's my ISP as the family have no problem with their online games. Must just be the signal in here is too weak. :brooding:

4th, viruses and other malware. That might cause lag too, when Mr. Virus is too busy to phone home and send all your bank account informations every second. Try to install (and use) an anti-virus scanner. Google is your friend, there are some free virus scanners available. (have a look at the websites of some serious computer magazines, usually they recomment free and trustable anti-virus tools and offer a link for downloading them).
Almost completely impossible (viruses etc) as I use linux. Very few viruses exist 'in the wild' for linux machines, and Ubuntu's built-in firewall makes hacking hard too, plus I think it's got a no-response policy for pings etc.

Thanks for all the help, it must be my connection if no-one else seems to be having problems, so I'll just not play until I move into a new place where I can get my own broadband pipe, not try to pick up the signal from two rooms away. :)

Thanks for all the help, it must be my connection if no-one else seems to be having problems, so I'll just not play until I move into a new place where I can get my own broadband pipe, not try to pick up the signal from two rooms away. :)

Sounds like you are on a wireless connection? If so, something could be interfering such as cordless phone, other electronic gadgets, cell phone, etc...

Just because you aren't running torrent apps, don't for a second assume somebody else isn't. If someone else uses the wifi check to see if they are filesharing/watching youtube etc.

The bandwidth still gets used up.

A lot of wifi routers have a config page telling you who is connected, maybe check yours.

Another possibility with DSL is missing a filter on a phone. I forgot one phone filter and it was worse then dialup.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.