Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LeoI

Magic Immune

(searched but didnt find anything, sorry if there is =P)

at the moment magic immune is too strong and pretty much neglects the whole purpose of someone building a mage char. Any (good) pker will just cast magic immune instantly in a fight so the opponent cant cast any magic on them for 90 seconds.

IMO it should have some side effect, and seeing as it is called Magic Immune, that side effect should be that it makes the caster immune to ALL magic spells, including restoration.

Ye, 90 secs is too long to go in a fight without healing, but that can be fixed by plenty of other ways:

1. reduce the immune time to something more friendly

2. increase the healing power of body rest pots so they actually become used in fights, other than by newbies

3. change to formula for great healing pots

there might be more but i cant think right now.

im open to whatever flames and past posts you might have for me when you read this :P

YEa, magic immunity is way too strong. I like your idea, although it needs some balancing like making great healing pots more intresting to make and to buy :P

This is actually an interesting idea. Lots of different things can be done to weaken magic immune, such as increasing the mana cost, decreasing the duration and the above suggestion is another one.

S.

well imo i dont really find a point to change the time shorter since even if it were made shorter after it expires just cast it again no harm done

well imo i dont really find a point to change the time shorter since even if it were made shorter after it expires just cast it again no harm done

it would cost an extra 30 mana which could make all the difference in a fight

well a part of the reason people cast MI is because of MD. the reason we dont like md is obvious, you dont have the mana to restore and therefore you die. making yourself "immune" to restore defeats the purpose imo. pk would become a bunch of people casting harm. Whats a sword?

well a part of the reason people cast MI is because of MD. the reason we dont like md is obvious, you dont have the mana to restore and therefore you die. making yourself "immune" to restore defeats the purpose imo. pk would become a bunch of people casting harm. Whats a sword?

and pk at the moment is people just using weapons. whats the point in offensive magic? you dont like md but its obvious mages dont like mag immune even more

if people were just casting harm in pk then naturally they would have a mage build (reasoning + will). and if thats the case then compared to someone else who has a melee build (phys + coord) they should be pretty easy to kill in combat. it should be about tactics and as it is atm there are none for someone who wants to have a mage char because of the mag immune spell

and pk at the moment is people just using weapons. whats the point in offensive magic? you dont like md but its obvious mages dont like mag immune even more

if people were just casting harm in pk then naturally they would have a mage build (reasoning + will). and if thats the case then compared to someone else who has a melee build (phys + coord) they should be pretty easy to kill in combat. it should be about tactics and as it is atm there are none for someone who wants to have a mage char because of the mag immune spell

All this would do is swing the favour towards the top Pker's ( players like Toom,Senia who have a 100+ harm). not a mage class. IMO any idea like this can only be bad for PK as a whole and wouldnt do it any good what so ever

Well, you're obviously not a pker, because this suggestion would ruin PK more than it's already ruined. ;)

How about you go to NCA, and go in without casting MI once, or not casting restoration for 90 secs? wtf? instant death, for the most part, in both cases.

Well, you're obviously not a pker, because this suggestion would ruin PK more than it's already ruined. :P

How about you go to NCA, and go in without casting MI once, or not casting restoration for 90 secs? wtf? instant death, for the most part, in both cases.

He actually said that in his post. :)

so why mention that then? and as for not casting mag immune once, it would be the same for your opponent too

People want the "Mage Class".

OK fine, but making MI suck or introducing a MI removal spell would make the mage class over-powered, as opposed to being under-powered as it is atm.

MD and Harm would need to be made significantly weaker before we can make MI suck or introduce MI removal spell.

As Conavar said, most the strongest mage's are also top a/d'ers, gotta be careful to not make the already very strong much much stronger.

Think how much the attrib cap helped PK. Why? because it leveled the playing field quite a lot... once again making a few much more powerful than most will not be a good thing... i don't see how anyone could dispute this, in my mind it's proven.

People want the "Mage Class".

OK fine, but making MI suck or introducing a MI removal spell would make the mage class over-powered, as opposed to being under-powered as it is atm.

MD and Harm would need to be made significantly weaker before we can make MI suck or introduce MI removal spell.

As Conavar said, most the strongest mage's are also top a/d'ers, gotta be careful to not make the already very strong much much stronger.

Think how much the attrib cap helped PK. Why? because it leveled the playing field quite a lot... once again making a few much more powerful than most will not be a good thing... i don't see how anyone could dispute this, in my mind it's proven.

You are wright about the top fighters are really good at magic, but if you make a formula for the MI removal that takes bigger part (%) the attributs of a true mage than the fighters will not be able remove the MI from the mages.

That is true that this way the "mages" will be over powered. But what...there are no classes in EL everybody is let to be what he wants to be, even in the future you can shap you character to be slightly different. If magic immunity goes so need the mana drain to go. If both are gone than it is ok again, you can choose you will harm, or to restore.

As i see the magic is an auxiliary skill, you can kill with it if used well but only with it you are lost.

This might be fixed by adding more pp to some nexus before being able to cast some spells.

Or make another skill like witchcraft that has new spells which or not affected by MI.

I think there are plenty ways to bring a mage class ingame but with the current magic system it would not work. There could be spells like to reduce physic damage etc to defend a little to normal fighting players. And to prevent people from fighting and using this kind of magic it could require some sort of staff you need to wear and some kind of clothes that gives extra power (and without it would be pretty weak).

it would cost an extra 30 mana which could make all the difference in a fight

thats provided u change the timing alot like last for 20 sec or something

You are wright about the top fighters are really good at magic, but if you make a formula for the MI removal that takes bigger part (%) the attributs of a true mage than the fighters will not be able remove the MI from the mages.

If it's your belief that the top fighters don't have heaps of Will and/or Reasoning... your wrong ;p

Their attribute setups are already 'Mage'.

@Entity/Cycloon

I don't think the pp's in a nexus for spells would work (not with the current spell-set anyways), but i like all the other ideas :)

Edited by Korrode

I have a sugestion that might solve this problem. Introduce "Physical Immunity".

Whether it's a low level or high level spell, it'd still hurt PK... if you can think of a way it wouldn't please elaborate on the idea, in detail.

I don't see a workable 'Mage class' so long as a/d training and magic training are linked, and rationality giving attributes also give cross-attributes that help close quarters combat (health, dexterity, etc.).

Eternity's suggestion of a new skill is probably the most workable. One that's spells are not stopped by the normal magic immunity spell, offers much better defensive spells than anything we have now, less powerful offensive spells than the current MD and Harm spells, and requires much pp's on nexus... like 30+ pp's on a nexus for it's most powerful spells (it's the only way i can see to ensure a character is significantly disadvantaged in physical combat in exchange for their magical ability)...

...and it would still need such careful planning.

I don't see a workable 'Mage class' so long as a/d training and magic training are linked.

Correct. Simple fact is, EL can't, and never will (without totally revamping the whole game) be able to harbour any classes.

Simple fact is, EL can't, and never will (without totally revamping the whole game) be able to harbour any classes
Not true. The game just have to give players' choices during their characters development; where you choose to take one path the the exclusion of another.

Any ideas on how exactly the game could be changed so that choosing one char development route would exclude another?

All i can think of (but thinking inside the box admittedly) is heaps of pp's on a nexus (since all attribs help with close quarters combat).

Taken from the homepage:

Eternal Lands has no fixed classes or professions, so you can always do new things and develop new skills without having to create a new character!

Until this viewpoint changes there will be no classes in EL, and for it to change there would need to be massive rework of pretty much everything in the game.

A mage class could be introduced with new spells requring higher nexus, but we would need alot of new spells. Mages work by either supporting other classes or trying to go solo. To solo effectively they need spells that have effects such as freezing someone in place, AoE spells etc. As it is there aren't enough spells in EL to make a pure mage a viable option.

As for altering magic immune I would lean towards the fact that it is left as is (to restore still works, this is you channeling magic through your body so would't need to pass through the "shield" you created around yourself) but it is altered so that a pure mage class (and therefore a stronger mage) would have a large chance to penetrate through the shield. Don't know how, of it it's even possible but it makes most sense to me. Maybe a higher magic nexus increases the chance, as well as allowing access to better spells. This would mean whilst fighters could heal themselves, they would be in trouble if they came across a pure mage, who could break through their magic immunity.

Edited by Lorlen