Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

EL 170 Pre RC

Could be my video card, but the game runs in a jerky motion. Can be very annoying. Also, I seem to jut into cavern walls, (and so do some of the monsters). I have an intel video card. I am not complaining, just inputting how the update is working on my p4 computer:(

And your fps would be..?

Yeah, well that is very low. I tried setting it for 60, but only get max of 30+ down to 4 in crowded areas. So lowered it to 40 with little change!

When I enable the animation program (changes UVP from 0 to 1) the player and creaturemodels are disappearing.

I've a NVIDIA GeForce 8 8800GTX with the newest driver installed.

It also worked with UVP enabled on the other client.

How to solve it?

Could be my video card, but the game runs in a jerky motion. Can be very annoying. Also, I seem to jut into cavern walls, (and so do some of the monsters). I have an intel video card. I am not complaining, just inputting how the update is working on my p4 computer:(

And your fps would be..?

Yeah, well that is very low. I tried setting it for 60, but only get max of 30+ down to 4 in crowded areas. So lowered it to 40 with little change!

30 is more than enough. If it's down around 10 or lower then you would be having jerky motions.

30 is more than enough. If it's down around 10 or lower then you would be having jerky motions.

Can't agree with that.

I get very jerky motions sometimes even with 50+ FPS. Walking around MM causes jerky motion sometimes. No reflections, no Eye Candy visible.

Really? Well I rarely see over 40fps so...movement all looks smooth to me. Usually I'm around 20-30fps.

Can't agree with that.

I get very jerky motions sometimes even with 50+ FPS. Walking around MM causes jerky motion sometimes. No reflections, no Eye Candy visible.

That's strange, because since Schmurk made the camera and actor movements not depend on a crappy timer, the game is pretty playable even at 15 FPS. At 30 FPS everything is as smooth as it can be. Are you sure you don't have lag issues?

Can't agree with that.

I have my fps max set to 40 and it works fine, but in one particular area - PV city limits - it drops to 5-7 fps with a message "Low framerate detected, shadows disabled". It happens each time I enter the city, goes away after a minute or two. No other area I've visited sio far while using this client causes such a bad fps drop. Latency is not an issue here, I've observed that with pings 55-60 ms.

Can't agree with that.

The weird thing is that the two people that are reporting this both play on a mac. Are these jerky motions appear at a fix period? Like every seconds or something like that?

The fps is computed only every seconds and it is also averaged so it is not very precise. It would be interesting to look at the latency between every frames because the motions are using it. So if at a moment your system is busy and freeze the game for a few milliseconds, some jerky motions can appear.

Have you also a way to enable/disable vertical synchronization on your video card? Maybe it can help...

I have my fps max set to 40 and it works fine, but in one particular area - PV city limits - it drops to 5-7 fps with a message "Low framerate detected, shadows disabled". It happens each time I enter the city, goes away after a minute or two. No other area I've visited sio far while using this client causes such a bad fps drop. Latency is not an issue here, I've observed that with pings 55-60 ms.

Do you have eye candy enabled? If yes, it's due to the fountain in the middle of PV. Florian is making changes in the eye candy code and it'll be better in the next RC.

Edited by Schmurk

I play with all desabled.

This Pre RC cause to my system a FPS drop from 80 to 40, but np.

The problem is in VOTD when I go to storage from two directions:

-from docks, in the circle area;

-from Tarsengaard in the area between the two lines.

In these areas I get always FPS 0 and several resyncs with black

screen for about 1 min before to go at storage.

votdyl5.png

Edit:

Video card GeForce 6200/AGP/SSE

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 2.1.2

Edited by Blodoks

Yes, UVP 1.

With the standard client the pg, when it cross these areas, has some unsteady step (no resync) and after a second all the mouvement is smooth again.

Maybe is the CPU, old: P3 800

Both my systems are affected, PC and Mac.

The jerky motions also affect the floating exp messages. Roughly every 1/5 of a second the motions seem to stop.

V-SYNC is enabled by SDL on Mac since there's no way to control V-Sync by driver settings.

V-SYNC is "always on" in my ATI control panel on WinXP.

Well, disable the Vsync on the OC, and see if anything changes.

Yes, UVP 1.

With the standard client the pg, when it cross these areas, has some unsteady step (no resync) and after a second all the mouvement is smooth again.

Maybe is the CPU, old: P3 800

Yes, this could very well be.. Although the CPU mainly has problems with the particles, and you said you disabled the eye candy..

Well, disable the Vsync on the OC, and see if anything changes.

Set to "always off", no change.

Wild guess: multicore problem? Thread sync?

/EDIT this jerky motion started while I was on holiday Feb and March 2008. When I came back after 6 weeks the jerkyness was in the game, but I can't track it down which change causes it.

Edited by Florian

Oh, yes, I know now!

I had this problem as well, I totally forgot about it. In my Nvidia card driver settings I had a thing checked that said something like: "Optimize things for multicore shit". I disabled that and worked flawlessly since then. Not sure if the ATI cards have that as well, but worth checking.

Hi,

Been running the PRE RC since it was posted and to date these are the only things ive found :

1. Water is not right in the Portals room , doesnt look like water at all. Odd though, because outdoors on all other maps ive walked on , the water is fine. It seems to be an indoor thing. I can post a screenshot if need be.

2. Was in DP and took my COL off. I noticed that even though it said my heath was full on the HP bar at the bottom of the screen, the bar above my head was 5 HP behind.

I put the COL back on , and again the bar above my head was 5 HP begind the bar at the bottom of the screen.

When I left DP storage, the HP bars matched again and were back in sync.

Thats all, apart from maybe one thing :( I think it was Air Essence, when I pulled it out of my inventory to put it back in storage I noticed that the picture was slightly ''off'' so you could see part of something else to the right of the little black square. This is really minor, depends how perfectionist were getting here. If it wasnt the air essence I will come back and edit this post, going to storage now to check.

Peace

*EDIT*

screw it im adding screenshots anyway :D

1. The Portals Room Water = http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w101/no...lsroomwater.jpg

2. Didnt take a screeny of the COL HP thing, sorry :/ will try and reproduce it

3. The Air Essence off centre = http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w101/no...ceOFFcentre.jpg

Edited by Ateh

AFAIK, the color of the water in the C1 portal room always has been like this. :(

Edited by Schmurk

AFAIK, the color of the water in the C1 portal room always has been like this. :(

omg has it really ?? I must have just never noticed before :D feel stupid cos im really lazy in EL and use the portals room as much as possible to change maps