Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

EL 170 Pre RC

hello, i just tried out the new EL-version.

it works fine, what means for me: no lagging, still high FPS... and i really love this sky!

then i wanted to know what this minimap change is, what everyone was talking about...

...and i saw this in the ws diamond cave:

minimapproblem-1.jpg

here is the information about my graphic card

Grafikkarte: GeForce Go 7600/PCI/SSE2

Hersteller ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 2.1.0

i hope it is not a bad problem!

No real bug, but the special effect when harvesting is significant reduced when having a flat camera angle, compared with sky05.

And, during I wrote this I've got a graphic glitch smilar to that piiia mentioned before.

New RC 1.7

rc1.7-1.jpg

Sky05

sky05.jpg

Grafikkarte: RADEON 9000 DDR x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2

Hersteller ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 1.3.1072 WinXP Release

Drivers are newest.

No real bug, but the special effect when harvesting is significant reduced when having a flat camera angle, compared with sky05.

This is because you have a low fps. In fact, the eye candy effects have several level of details according to your fps and this feature was not working correctly in the older clients. However, you can reduce the min and max framerate values in the eye candy tab in your options if you want to get the same result than with the old client.

You can also try to reduce your max viewing distance in the advanced video options if you want to have a better fps. :D

Ok, I did this three times and either I'm making the same mistake every time, or it's really not working. First a couple of observations that I know don't make a difference, but may cause confusion for some. The date of the file in your file name is 26 06 but it should be 25 05 cause it's only May. Then when I hover over the file el_170_rc1 it shows that the file version is 1.5.0.0. I know it's just a descriptor, but I noticed it when I checked on everything.

I double click the file, it asks me about language, then when I log in it still says it's version 1.6 (this is where I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong, but maybe not). Once I log in I have about 2 seconds to write one short message before I crash. If I try to zoom or move I crash right away. Below is the error report.

If I downloaded this into the wrong place, or made another stupid mistake please be gentle with me because I'm not a techie. I did download it into the Program Files/Eternal Lands folder where the other versions of EL are.

Video card: Intel 845G

Vendor ID: Intel

OpenGL Version: 1.3.0 - Build 4.14.10.4342

lilcnoot

(edited to post graphics card info)

Edit 2:

On my laptop, I can log on and walk around, but I don't see any sky. I have tilted as far as possible and see some white in the distance. In skycam options the first 5 are checked. What am I doing wrong? :D

Laptop info:

Video card: Mobility radeon x600 x86/SSE2

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 2.0.5077 WinXP Release

Error log from desktop (intel card)

Log started at 2008-05-26 10:53:02 localtime (Eastern Daylight Time)

[10:53:02] Error: Server profile not found in servers.lst for server: Lands\el_170_rc1.ex. Failover to server: main.

[10:53:02] Using the server profile: main

[10:53:04] Error opening sound configuration file

[10:53:09] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[10:53:09] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst

[10:53:09] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[10:53:09] Error: Can't open file "alias.ini"

[10:53:09] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst

[10:53:10] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst

[10:53:10] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[10:53:10] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst

[10:53:11] Failed to download (files.lst) 3 times. Giving up.

[10:53:12] Language changed, was [en] now [en]

Edited by LilBear

Works fine here :D

But have this mini-map problem:

el170testminimapzw2.jpg

Video card: GeForce FX 5200/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 2.0.3

On my laptop, I can log on and walk around, but I don't see any sky. I have tilted as far as possible and see some white in the distance. In skycam options the first 5 are checked. What am I doing wrong? :D

Have you checked extended camera?

About the crash (for Lang_ren too), try poor man mode and uncheck all options in the sky&cam tab too and see if it helps.

Schmurk, the extended camera thing solved the problem for my laptop. Thank you!

As for the desktop, it's always running on poor man anyway :/

lilcnoot

Edit: Ok, I changed the options before logging on my desktop, and (in addition to poor man) also unchecked all the skycam options. I was then able to walk around a little and talk without crashing. Only tried for a couple of minutes. Turning these options back on after logging in makes me crash again. I have no time right now, but later I will play without the skycam options on my desktop just to see if I can do normal things. I did seem slower than before (I'll find the frame rate option and turn it on, I usually have it off and make a comparison too) and I'll edit this if it seems ok without the skycam. But again, as soon as I turn on the skycam options on the desktop it's good bye lil.

Edited by LilBear

When I open the minimap (which looks great) my FPS is jumping all the time from 1 to 40 (capped) when there are like >6-7 actors in screen (like at storage). When I close the minimap the FPS is fairly constant.

Specs:

NVidia Gefore Go 7600 (256MB)

Intel Duo Core T5600 (2x 1.83Ghz)

2048MB RAM

Strange, for me there is no difference (well, maybe half a fps).

Try to uncap the fps, see if it makes a difference.

I did some more testing. Sometimes everything runs pretty smooth, but then it really eats all of my CPU power. Without minimap i'm running on 80% (50% is taken by Folding@Home), when toggling minimap on it goes directly to 100% and dropping back to 80% now and then. Really strange.

works just fine and lovely.. tried most of things, no error.. i got toshiba laptop

when is the update coming officially? :D

Mobile intel® 915 GM/GMS, 910 GML (i hope that is the video info you need)

Got it installed, works fine.

Would much prefer the previous minimap though, or at least an option to disable this rotating one and have the other one. :D

As for the desktop, it's always running on poor man anyway :/

Ok but the sky tab is not affected by the poor man option so try to disable all the stuff there to see if the crash comes from the display of the sky.

About the crash (for Lang_ren too), try poor man mode and uncheck all options in the sky&cam tab too and see if it helps.

Tyvm! Turning every option off in sky + cam, turning eye candy off and poor man on, and I can log in ^^

Lang :D

Tyvm! Turning every option off in sky + cam, turning eye candy off and poor man on, and I can log in ^^

Ah nice. :)

Can you now enable options one by one to see which one causes the crash please? ;)

Can you now enable options one by one to see which one causes the crash please? :)

Ok. I think its something to do with the |Show sky| options in sky + cam. I can enable |Show clouds | Show stars | Show Moon | Show sun | aslong as I don't try and enable |Show Sky | as it crashes and the client closes. I can run |Show Sky | with (if im lucky) one of the other options, but any more and it crashes.

Hope that helps, I crashed about 10X to find that out hehe :P

Lang ;)

Running in Isometric view with Eye-Candy (and most other options) off, I'm getting a strange building clipping bug. It happens on any building or wall that's in the foreground, and the item slowly is added/removed as I walk forward/backwards. It's as if there's some sort of clipping plane a fixed distance between my char and my PoV where anything beyond that plane is removed. As I walk forward, the building slowly moves behind the plane and appears. If I rotate my PoV so a different item is in the foreground I see the same clipping behavior.

gallery_8617_12_91888.jpg

@Lang_ren:

Arf sorry I didn't explain what the options do. The show sky one disable all the sky elements and the background so it's quite normal that you don't have any difference when enabling the other ones when this one is disabled.

But do you have a crash with all the other options when the show sky is enabled? Or does it crash with only some of them?

Can you now enable options one by one to see which one causes the crash please? :hiya:

Ok. I think its something to do with the |Show sky| options in sky + cam. I can enable |Show clouds | Show stars | Show Moon | Show sun | aslong as I don't try and enable |Show Sky | as it crashes and the client closes. I can run |Show Sky | with (if im lucky) one of the other options, but any more and it crashes.

Hope that helps, I crashed about 10X to find that out hehe :P

Lang ;)

Yep, that seems about right for me too. I can turn on extended view, but if I turn on the sky then I crash.

Running on my desktop with poor man on, eye candy off, and all the skycam stuff off, I found two things that don't seem to work for me (maybe cause I turned those options off, I dunno).

First, I was told you can right click on someone's name or health points and get some options like you would normally with ctrl b, ctrl h as well as a comic book bubble. I get nothing. My cursor only changes from the hand to the eye to the trade icon etc the way it always did.

Edit 3: NVM, I was instructed correctly now and when I right click on my own name it works now.

Second, I opened the minimap and it appears in the very right hand corner of my screen. That's where I usually keep it tucked away, and it's prolly there from last time. Problem is, I can't move it. Here is a pic of it. If I try to grab the rim of it, instead it makes a red x at the very edge and I start walking.

Edit 4: Yes, I figured out the problem. I logged on with the old client, moved my mini map in the middle of the screen. Logged off. Logged on with the 1.7 client. Now the mini map was fine and I could move it at its top. However, not everyone will have their mini maps in the middle of the screen when they last log off before switching to 1.7 so you just have to find a different way to make it movable. Graphically I didn't seem to have a problem with it (though it only shows part of the overall map, but I'm assuming it's supposed to be like that).

minimap_prob.jpg

Things that worked: the P button in the storage window \o/

If you tell me about other new things I'll try them out.

lilcnoot

Edited by LilBear

Tested the 170 pre RC while hunting fluffys in imbroglio, was using sky05 before.

I notice the new Pre Rc to be much jerkier when spinning the screen and when moving. The spinning jerking making it hard to use while hunting. Even when standing still there is a lot of jerking when spinning in place. Starting to get seasick after hunting fluffs for 40 minutes ;)

Also my fps is set to max 30...it drops to 22-28 when walking. When fps limits set to 0...the fps is ~60 when standing still...dropping to 43 even 30 sometimes when fighting fluffys.

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS

Intel Core 2 cpu 6600@ 2.4GHz, 2 cores

@Lang_ren:

Arf sorry I didn't explain what the options do. The show sky one disable all the sky elements and the background so it's quite normal that you don't have any difference when enabling the other ones when this one is disabled.

But do you have a crash with all the other options when the show sky is enabled? Or does it crash with only some of them?

Alright, I tested this in PV.

Show sky only, works fine, FPS 18-25

Show sky + extended, works fine, FPS 4-11

show sky + extended plus clouds, works fine, FPS 4-14

show sky + extended plus stars, works fine, FPS 1-6

show sky + extended plus moons --> crash

show sky + extended plus sun, works fine, FPS 4-11

lilcnoot

Edited by LilBear

Tested the 170 pre RC while hunting fluffys in imbroglio, was using sky05 before.

I notice the new Pre Rc to be much jerkier when spinning the screen and when moving. The spinning jerking making it hard to use while hunting. Even when standing still there is a lot of jerking when spinning in place. Starting to get seasick after hunting fluffs for 40 minutes ;)

Also my fps is set to max 30...it drops to 22-28 when walking. When fps limits set to 0...the fps is ~60 when standing still...dropping to 43 even 30 sometimes when fighting fluffys.

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS

Intel Core 2 cpu 6600@ 2.4GHz, 2 cores

Try to limit the distance, and try all kind of things until you identify what causes the problem.

Show sky only, works fine, FPS 18-25

Show sky + extended, works fine, FPS 4-11

show sky + extended plus clouds, works fine, FPS 4-14

show sky + extended plus stars, works fine, FPS 1-6

show sky + extended plus moons --> crash

show sky + extended plus sun, works fine, FPS 4-11

Thanks. ;)

Are you telling me you crash in the opening screen? How?

No, sorry.. i should have been more precise.. i can log in.. then I see my char for just 1 second and instantly crash

EDIT.. sorry i see where I can change the settings now.. will report back in a bit :)

Edit2: client runs ok with all sky and cam options turned off. Can use 1 option at a time, but performance drops and i get a little laggy.

Edited by dilloesional