Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
deneochris

Your opinion on ranging.

You mean, there can be only one skill that's supposed to be a money sink? :D Or did anybody miss
The bows/crossbows are in the game for 2 days now, and from all the gold-sinks ever implemented by me, they are the best.
from Entropy's blog?

People will keep carrying their money to NPCs to buy things essential for leveling a skill that produces one item that's remotely useful (or is there anything besides the Cape of No More Warlock in tailoring that does anything?) and people will continue to level ranging as well (and you can kill stuff, yell 'headshot' etc. :)). Under these considerations ranging is already much more useful than tailoring. And being able to kill any monster in game from a safe distance is pretty neat I'd say :icon13:

Ranging was supposed to be a nice/useful skill and it's not. I didn't miss that post, I was just hoping that, after the initial money sink effect, things would get better. Well, they didn't so I don't think it's a good skill. That's my opinion (read the thread subject).

And of course it's expensive, the skill is a money sink, by design. :)

That's why my opinion is that it's not a good design. Such a waste.

ranbu4.png

Motionless target.

I would like to know the logic why I get exp if my bow is aiming out of the target

and why I don't get exp if I'm in the right position.

Instead to miss the arrow, better few exp points (1-5) and no damage.

Ranging is a money sink. Its easy to lvl your range tho. But its a new skill and obviously has improvements to be made :whistle:

Also Blodoks i noticed the farther you are from your openent while ranging the more exp you get and the closer you are the less exp you get. Im not sure if thats the answer you wanted tho :)

Edited by time4u2die

I do not want to start a new post so I'll ask here.

Has any changes been introduced to ranging ? On the last invasion I was able to shoot successfully a pinned monster 50-60% of a time, today I'm missing 90% of shots from the same distance, in the same place (Bethel cliffs). Same time of the day btw. I've used approx. 200 arrows with nearly no exp gain before giving up ...

Day vs. night should make a difference in how often your bowshots hit the target. I suspect weather also has an effect.

No changes have been made to the rangning skill lately.

As for the skill, if you don't like it, don't do it, it's that simple!

I find ranging cool :D

I don't care if it's expensive, because it's fun! :)

Btw. my average exp per gc is almost 1:1, so i think it's not harder or much more expensive then summoning.

If you think it's useless, train harder to get better level or don't use it at all...

I enjoy ranging.

In my opinion, a good money sink is when you enjoy yourself.

Whether it is buying "useless" clothes, or shooting arrows at a cyclops, hitting him dead on and getting a miss.

I love seeing my character run around in a tunic and pants and fancy hat with a feather and a spectacular bow and pretty arrows and shooting away. It looks cool, it is fun to play monkey in the middle with a buddy and a monster, and fun to see arrows flying through the air no matter where they land and how much experience I get or don't get. I knew going in I would spend a lot of gc on it, and spend I have.

I could care less if it is practical or profitable. My benefit is my enjoyment.

It will be interesting to see sooner or later when a group of rangers get smart and use thier combined skills to kill a stong Pker in 20 seconds.

It will happen eventually, if a fire arrow can do 50 damage ( minus the heat protection from high end armor ) then 2-3 arrows from five rangers all hitting at the same time ( 15 arrows doing about 35 damage each maybe )

Even if 10 arrows hit thats 350 instant damage -

And youve got yourself a dead PKer.

Plus, it works best at night, especially with a camo cape.

Of course, you need to be a pro range to shoot fire arrows at night and hit your target, but that's what exp is for :D

Hi,

Being fairly new to EL (5 months) , i started with trying out every skill to see what i like most and I think ranging is absolute the best.

I have a lot of fun practising it and at nighttime i harvest flowers to pay new arrows.

When i started i lost like 4 times a bow when a creature turned towards me and attack, but i think there is changed a bit as you wont loose your bow now every time, just a arrow.

I have some questions to experienced rangers,

There is mentioned that the best way to train is pvp, is this the best only in experiance, and in case how much better exp it give.

I have only used training arrows til now and i have like 1,1 - 1,5 exp for every gp. When i look to 100 arrows i have like 500-600 gp in items i can sell (animal parts), so i have more xp for each gp.

When i should use PK arrows which cost 40 gp, will i get 4 times as much exp. PVP?

What is the benefit of the expensive arrows?

Does ranging depend on astrology?

Have anyone ever compared the amount of exp for 100 different arrows?

Hope someone have the time to answer.

A happy ranger :D

~Lan~

When ranging first came out I've tried it for a while (as most of us probably did :D), even bought an elven bow. I've ended up selling the bow two weeks after when I realised ranging doesn't suit me too much.

The main reason wasn't the arrow cost (thought that helped me make the decision), but the fact that with the way ranging currently works it's a PK skill mostly, and for some reason I'm really allergic to PK :cry:.

If some kind of primitive arrows could be made cheaply (from yew and something that could replace feathers (some kind of plant was once suggested) I'd probably go for a little hunt every once in a while - just for a change, not with training in mind. I do know it's definitely against Entropy's plans and that will never happen, as ranging would be totally diferrent from what it is now. Understood and acnowledged.

Guess I'm just a bad material for a ranger :(

EDIT: a few typos

Edited by Lotheneil

There is mentioned that the best way to train is pvp, is this the best only in experiance, and in case how much better exp it give.

PVP is the fastest way to get experience as long as you have a guild map with a PK area to do so safely. But is it the best? That depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to be in the top 50 it is the best, but not if you are trying to have fun wasting gc. I can get decent experience shooting hawks, falcons, skunks, bears, etc wandering around little used maps. Face it, PVP can be very boring.

Like Aislinn stated, it's a fun money sink. I'll get all dressed up ranger style and wander IP shooting beavers for furs while healing newbies or wander some other remote map playing robin hood while chatting. It's fun and relaxing. :D

I have said that its a money sink and its a waste of money and time before and i thought this was true until i saw a guildie shoot a magic arrow with his elven bow and did 58 to someone that was in armor.

My opinion now is that ranging is difficult to lvl but it will be worth it once you reach a higher lvl range.

PVP is the fastest way to get experience as long as you have a guild map with a PK area to do so safely. But is it the best? That depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to be in the top 50 it is the best, but not if you are trying to have fun wasting gc.

Ty, we have a guildmap with PK erea, so i will try, just bought 200 pk arrows :D

I have a lot of fun even i have never done PVP, and i am in top50 already with it, it is a great skill.

~Lan~

cant wait for the first high level fighter to get knocked off thier feet by a bunch of support rangers

when that happens, and it wont be long - money sink wont be associated with the word ranging anymore :D

*edit* PVP ranging is most cost effective way to train the skill in the long run, when you PVP find a distance between you and your partner so that you hit the majority of the time, it might not be the biggest XP because your stood quite close together, but you will get xp from the most arrows, making every 10gc count is important LOL

would be funny if instead of ''miss'' floating above your head when you missed, instead '' 10gc looser '' floated off into the ether

Edited by Ateh

until i saw a guildie shoot a magic arrow with his elven bow and did 58 to someone that was in armor.

now times that by 10 archers , even if 5 of them hit the mark they just dealt 290 HP blow , IF by the luck of Mortos they all hit thier mark, they just dealt 580 HP of damage , thats some serious **** to consider.

I am range 19 and have loved every minute of leveling, nothing more satisfying, in my opinion to see you target get hit and the exp go above your head.

As for archers in, PK, already working out a strategy where it will work out even with just 2 people, but will take a bit of practice and alot of strategy

Strategy for the Fighter after seeing Ranger.

1. Diss the 8 people your fighting

2. attack ranger and break thier 100k elven bow in 1 hit

Edited by ohmygod

Ty, we have a guildmap with PK erea, so i will try, just bought 200 pk arrows :)

You can do ranging PVP with normal training arrows too. No need to buy the more expensive PK arrows, imho.

You can do ranging PVP with normal training arrows too. No need to buy the more expensive PK arrows, imho.

Ty, if this is possible i misunderstood the sentence "not for PK" I intreprent it with "not for shoot on human".

If you train PVP wil your partner from distance be able to destroy your bow?

I was thinking to train with 1 other person, try to use both the small bow and elven bow, using com to be able to heal more, but someone said to me that the shooting partner will be able to destroy both the bow and com. I would like to know if it is correct.

Just spend all my money on a elvenbow and dont want to loose it in a training.

Second lesson learned, always use small bow when you see ohmygod ;)

About breaking bows, i saw people hunting (wolfs) and they finisched many times in combat. They said it does not matter as these are easy creatures, but my bows broke in the begin regardless on what kind of animal. Is breaking bows like a % of animals who attaque so that a rat could break a elvenbow, or does this depends on strongness of the creature. On the moment i use dis rings on every animal who come to close, with my low a/d they would kill me right away if i wouldnt :)

The one thing i dislike on the ranging is that people bagjump, or that you use a lot of arrows to hit a higher lvl creature and people come to kill it and take the loot when it is deepred life. But thats life.

~Lan~ :medieval:

Strategy for the Fighter after seeing Ranger.

1. Diss the 8 people your fighting

2. attack ranger and break thier 100k elven bow in 1 hit

If elven bow is anything like recurve bow, it won't break too fast. I haven't ever broken a recurve bow tough i have a broken like 123 training arrows, which if attacked over 100 time you'd be lucky to have not broken a short/long bow

In the beginning my bows broke every time i got attacked, even by a low lvl creature.

Broke 11 bows before i start using dis ring. Just bad luck or the formula changed.

I hope elvenbow is a bit stronger.

~Lan~

Edited by lanjelin