Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sywren

Option to turn off creature names

I loved the little details in the last update, and I don't know if this would be a hard one to add to the next update. Could we have an option to turn off creature names? I mean, Roja's artwork is beautiful, and sometimes I feel the word "Rabbit" hopping around sort of clutters it up.

alt+n ;)

That's great for screenshots, but not really practical as a regular setting. I'd still like to see player names (sorry if I wasn't clear on that).

I don't see the point then really...If you think just the animal's name clutters things well, so too does normal player names/healthbars/etc. That's the only way for it to look really nice.

I kind of see the point here.. once you've played a while, you don't need the yellow names, you pretty much know creatures by the looks. The game would look better with just the actor on screen. I would probably use this ;)

It's a bit different because you can't really tell which player/bot/npc it is by the looks, there are a lot more of them.

The only downside is, how do you know if it's a normal creature or an invasion creature? Maybe red-names could override this option.

Edited by ilobypie

i would like it too, if it's not too much work would be nice to have somethin like that here :]

I think this is a great idea, it could really be quite handy.

Periodically I try to turn off names just so I can enjoy the game looks without the yellow/green, but I have to have it on to know who players are. Even if you kinda know some people by looks, chances are there is someone who looks exactly like them ;)

It would be very nice though to be able to turn of the health/name for only the animals however, that way one could still easily identify players, yet not have the extra text from the animals.

Periodically I try to turn off names just so I can enjoy the game looks without the yellow/green, but I have to have it on to know who players are. Even if you kinda know some people by looks, chances are there is someone who looks exactly like them :)

It would be very nice though to be able to turn of the health/name for only the animals however, that way one could still easily identify players, yet not have the extra text from the animals.

As Roja has already mention alt+n will turn off all the names, and if you want to know who a player is just click on him/her with the eye icon.

I think nobody prevents you from writing a patch if you want this feature

I think you should note that most suggestions are created by people with extremely limited, if any, programming experience.

I think an option which would enable us to make animal's names disappear might be interesting, especially since we'll have a new minimap that's much less space-consuming.

Periodically I try to turn off names just so I can enjoy the game looks without the yellow/green, but I have to have it on to know who players are. Even if you kinda know some people by looks, chances are there is someone who looks exactly like them :)

As Roja has already mention alt+n will turn off all the names, and if you want to know who a player is just click on him/her with the eye icon.

I know about alt+n thanks B)

And yes I can use the eye icon but I prefer to be able to tell who people are at a glance.

The advantage of an option to turn of names/health bars (I always have health on to see who I can heal around me) for animals only would be that I could tell who people were, who was low on health and I might want to heal. But I when I was wandering around and exploring I wouldn't have to worry about the clutter of animal names on my screen. Or when I'm in an area with a high concentration of animals and no/few people. So when there aren't people around I can enjoy a more natural look of the game, and when someone walks by I don't have to quick alt+n/etc to see who it is and their health and such. :)

I hope that explains what I'm thinking (and I think its what Sygon is thinking too) and that though alt+n is nice, it just isn't practical to use if you want to know who people are. But animals are animals, experience players know them on sight and need not worry about names.

And turning off the names of animals can cut out all extra text on screen when in an un-populated area (with no need to worry about changing option to see who people are, or clicking on them all) and part of the text in an area with people and animals.

I just think its a practical and usable idea and a rare good suggestion :)

Edited by Enly

I hope that explains what I'm thinking (and I think its what Sygon is thinking too) and that though alt+n is nice, it just isn't practical to use if you want to know who people are. But animals are animals, experience players know them on sight and need not worry about names.

And turning off the names of animals can cut out all extra text on screen when in an un-populated area (with no need to worry about changing option to see who people are, or clicking on them all) and part of the text in an area with people and animals.

Makes sense, I like your suggestion too.

Rehdon

I think this to an interesting thing to have :D

I can try to write a patch for this. But I would like to know what people really want.

New option: Enable/Disable(animal/monster) healt bar/healt number/names?

An easy way to do this would be to have an option to "Hide all Animal/Monster Text Information"

When enabled this options would hide all the animal information independently from your "Show ... Options".

Anyone interested in this? any other ideas?

P.S: Please remember that even if I write the patch, the patch needs to be accepted/aproved later on :evilgrin:

The advantage of an option to turn of names/health bars (I always have health on to see who I can heal around me) for animals only would be that I could tell who people were, who was low on health and I might want to heal. But I when I was wandering around and exploring I wouldn't have to worry about the clutter of animal names on my screen. Or when I'm in an area with a high concentration of animals and no/few people. So when there aren't people around I can enjoy a more natural look of the game, and when someone walks by I don't have to quick alt+n/etc to see who it is and their health and such. :evilgrin:

I just think its a practical and usable idea and a rare good suggestion :D

Thank you, Enly, you said it beautifully.

@bruno \o/ Thank you! That sounds great. Options would be a good place for this.

Another way to do it might be make Alt-N multi-functional, meaning the first time turns off only creature names and the second time turns off all the names. This option could also work with Alt-B? (sorry, not logged on atm) with health bars.