Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Banedon

Basis of government body.

Readded after cooling down for a second.

basically all I think would be needed is a community rules section already done.

a community based punishment for breaking the rules

the sheriffs should not be the people to make the punishment since the community will have done this and the rules will just need a punishment to go with it.

and Maybe 2 elected sheriffs.

now this limits the amount of politics in it. It also allows for some roleplay. does that make more sense.

Edited by Banedon

Hey there,

I'm not sure but I guess that there are a fair amount of players that will not like this idea because:

1- They don't play very often and don't want to spend their playing time on politics.

2- They just hate politics :D ( -> They think it is wrong to punish players for how those players play the game )

3- They belong to a minority and will not be elected.

4- They do not like the rules which are / will be set up by the majority or by the 'elite'

5- Community rules don't require a board of people to be applied (enforced really ;))

6- Probably a lot more reasons...

I don't like it because of points 1-2-3-4 ...

PK during mrHide invasions will have more then enough consequences for the 'outlaw' because a large part (and some stronger players in particular) is against it.

There is no need to set up a legal system in order to punish for such an 'offense'.

About the roleplaying part:

Just get together with whomever you want and think up a set of rules, then apply them on yourselves. (thats what guilds/alliances are for ...)

I would like to know who else think this idea is stupid :)

^^oh well not really a stupid idea, just a bad idea.. (edit)

ProHibited

Edited by BlackFalcon

Hey there,

I'm not sure but I guess that there are a fair amount of players that will not like this idea because:

1- They don't play very often and don't want to spend their playing time on politics.

2- They just hate politics :D ( -> They think it is wrong to punish players for how those players play the game )

3- They belong to a minority and will not be elected.

4- They do not like the rules which are / will be set up by the majority or by the 'elite'

5- Community rules don't require a board of people to be applied (enforced really ;))

6- Probably a lot more reasons...

I don't like it because of points 1-2-3-4 ...

PK during mrHide invasions will have more then enough consequences for the 'outlaw' because a large part (and some stronger players in particular) is against it.

There is no need to set up a legal system in order to punish for such an 'offense'.

About the roleplaying part:

Just get together with whomever you want and think up a set of rules, then apply them on yourselves. (thats what guilds/alliances are for ...)

I would like to know who else think this idea is stupid :)

^^oh well not really a stupid idea, just a bad idea.. (edit)

ProHibited

I give up

Actually, he has raised a valid point.

Why not just create a guild with the policies you want enforcing as part of your guild rules, and let those that don't want to "role play" to your tune do as they please?

Much better an opt in system than an opt out one.

I think this is a good topic to talk about. What we have so far is a simple grass-roots creation: people saw a need to protect some weaker players and create a more fun environment for everyone and did something about it.

I think the community has spoken pretty clearly about what rules are wanted (the 4 (now 3) posted elsewhere). I think those rules are good enough for now. Of course they can and will be modified as the need arises.

Personally, I have enough to do being involved in two guilds across two servers. I wouldn't get very involved in any role-play aspects of government. And I know there are others who simply want to play. I know there are some who DO like the role-play parts of the game, and if there are any on the PK server I'll leave it to them to speak up on how this might work.

I believe there would be value in community involvement in who the town sheriffs are. But I'm content with the current three (even if they are self-appointed) and don't have any strong desire to have a big election right now.

So I guess in summary, my point-of-view is: more community involvement would be good, but keeping things simple may be the right thing for now. I say this not to bash the original idea, just to present another PoV for consideration and discussion.

Currently we have a few rules enforced by the majority of the server. This is perfectly sufficient for the size of the server. I know that there will be some people who will break no-trade punishments, but so what? They'll still end up raising the prices and if they're discovered, there will be the natural consequences (others won't trade with them and they'll be on PK lists). Sounds about right.

The fact that the highest a/d players are willing to help out those who need help is a strong enough "government" for the size of the server.

A few assholes decided to blow the whole thing out of proportion. Don't listen to them. What we have is just fine.

ON main when i created Thor guild I had it so organised Heads of every skill, Their seconds in command, forum rules, guild rules, They all had their training agenda's for guild members , Guild events an so on and so on,

This was great but the point im making is we might of had the most organised guild about but all we ended up doing is working for the guild not playing our own game.

The pass few days all i have done is spent me playing time on the forums not playing the game

Lonewolfe I think you doing a great job and it takes someone like you with your deadication to sort stuff like this out

Basicly We dont need the politics

yes we do need community rules so stop those few out there that only want to ruin what we are all trying to build in the PK server and to protect MrHide invasions or we would end up loosing them

We dont need to elect a sherif

I think all this is really a reaction to your punishment post dont listen to those people that dont play this game or gave up on it. If they really want to have a say of what we do over here then let then come play the PK server then they will be entitled to one.

This server is very mature we sort stuff out as and when we need as a community we are not kings ,gods like the others read into it

But you my friend Have the same dedication i used to have on the main but when you Click on that EL icon on your desk top you want to train your char pk everyone is sight or have a chat with your friends.

Not think "i just spent the last 4 hours sorting out all the problems now i got an hour to play the game".

Sorry if this gos off the topic abit but

all im trying to say is lets keep it simple lets play PK EL and have fun

Sod all the so called do gooders (self appointed ones at that)

Things run great "IN GAME" as they are.

Forum dont matter just people who want to play the game do

If something go's wrong in game ie the like the PKing during Mrhide invasions thread then as a community we all enforce it "IN GAME" everyone can tell people what has happened when they come online, then those that want to enforce anything can, ie you pk their ass spirit wont Trade with them this can be done by the strongets or weekest players

This will also save people form the main server that dont play this server using it as a chance to attack the PK server

All that crap on the other thread really reminded me of why i gave up EL MAIN just over a year ago

But here on the pk server we dont get all the ranting or people that just want to start an argument then want to debate it slagging each other off

I feel we have evolved from that on the PK server, so i say any enforcement we as a community can do it "IN GAME" not on forums, then as those on the Main dont know about it they cant use it as another chance to attack what we have built over here

BY having elected sherifs running around all they will end up doing is sorting out problems not playing the game

just my oppinion

Remember Those who play have a say

Handyman Thor

Lonewolfe I think you doing a great job ...

Basicly We dont need the politics

all im trying to say is lets keep it simple lets play PK EL and have fun

If something go's wrong in game ... then as a community we all enforce it "IN GAME"

Remember Those who play have a say

A great post with some excellent points. I would agree.

Only those who have been playing the PK server are aware of how much debate goes on on @1 and all the subjects that are brought and calmly discussed there getting conclusions out. And all of this is done while everyone tells jokes or has fun with the community. Bacon was appointed as word of the day (yesterday) because everyone likes and keeps talking about/with Piggy, a low level players with a sense of humor :P

I have to agree with Handyman when he makes his point about the way things went for him with his guild on main. I also had a lot more fun playing EL before I was ranked up to #rank 19 on Dao.

Having to many rules to look out for or to enforce takes a lot of time and you would end up sitting in a store or a cave, on console mode, reading, pm, #ig and thinking about something that went on with someone else and that you should sort.

I am guildless on the PK server to avoid all this and just play and have fun doing w/e i feel like that day. And getting pked by everyone :P

This is what everyone is trying to do when they log on the PK server 1 hour before another MrHide invasion, have fun.

The last month worked great because we have mature people and some with high a/d levels that respect and are respected, allowing the community to share common points of view and discuss when needed. So lets keep on doing it ;)

Remember, Temos, that's TOFU bacon! :P

Thinking on these ideas, I have a couple of points:

Manderijn does make some sense, if the ants could vote, we'd all be kicked off the server! I think there are still too few regular players on PK to fairly set up a structure that would be acceptable to players joining us over time. It's fine to discuss systems, but we should be careful not to end up with a constitution and bill of rights with so few players involved. The original four rules (or three now) concerning invasions, language, and scamming suit us well for now.

It's a freaking chore, but going through older threads and posts in the PK forum, one of the most highly stressed issues was "No rules! Free for all!" Some things seemed useful but then the server hadn't been up yet so it was all speculation. It does seem obvious that a few basic situations call for some order, but the freedom of the server I believe should be preserved as much as possible.

Hard to say what we'd end up with if we adopted all the rules from the main but kept the self-moderation and PK areas as they are. IMHO that's going way overboard and we should avoid it. I'm hoping we can all trust to the human nature of survival just to keep sheer PK madness from breaking out! I refer back to "Lord of the Flies" ;)

Oh yes, and George Orwell in "Animal Farm": "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." (Those were the pigs..... :P )

I wasnt going to reply not being a PK server player , but after reading both threads about this subject, I would like to say gratz for trying.

Its commendable that the server is trying to set up some kind of community standard of behaviour ( if done properly it will be great for the server )

Are you going about it in the right way and will it work ? who knows only time will tell

but hey good luck ;)

Remember, Temos, that's TOFU bacon! :P

Hard to say what we'd end up with if we adopted all the rules from the main but kept the self-moderation and PK areas as they are. IMHO that's going way overboard and we should avoid it. I'm hoping we can all trust to the human nature of survival just to keep sheer PK madness from breaking out! I refer back to "Lord of the Flies" ;)

Oh yes, and George Orwell in "Animal Farm": "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others." (Those were the pigs..... :P )

the only way to enforce all the rules of the Main server is with Mods. if we adopted ALL the rules and the server was self moderated we would have nothing or Anarchy or as much flaming on the server as we have on the forums :D

the correct formula should probably be (and we are close to it atm)

few rules + mature players = loads of fun

I would just like to say Thanks Conavar for your post

Its great that you feel this way

also getting something positive back

What alot of people didnt understand we are all working hard over here to make this work and also to do everything right

And the one good thing about PK servers small player base is that its easy implament all this stuff and it is also what the players want

The guys that dont play only see what writen on the forums all the slagging the flares and even us getting angry at times because of non players responsess.

But we who do play really are trying to make a difference over here and when a new player joins they realise that and find out what a great community we have

we love our MrHide invasions but they would soon stop if it just turned into a PK frenzy

so what more can we do but try to protect it

And i dont meen the so called named enforcers here because as i already posted we can all enforce in our own ways

And Mango i know what you mean but we do out number the Ants without our alts though some of the Ants might soon be stronger than your char on here if you dont hurry up and train it :)

Im not going to keep on any more

But thanks again

Handy Thor

Edited by handyman