Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Artwork additions & improvements

Art stuff poll, but please read the post too!  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you want most?

• More creatures
    • More weapons & armor
    • More clothes (eyecandy-only items)
    • Nothing new for a while, just improve existing stuff
    • Other -I am making a post with another option.

I think it's quite clear if you read her first post.

This entire topic deals with artwork changes..

Maps are considered artwork because she would be adjusting/adding new 3d models.

Creatures/weapons are all art..

Updating exisiting creatures is also art.

So I don't think I'm missing anything, I think some people are suffering from selective reading disorder... or possible high horse syndrome ;)

I do see what Lyren is saying...isn't adding new monsters about gameplay more than it is about aesthetics?

Anyway, on-topic: I would love to see more weapons added, as long as they are unique in their qualities or effects...

(I saw the post that we have 96 weapons currently in-game, but I would like to mention that many of them (especially glowy ones) are not used often. I believe we still do have more room for new and exciting weapons...as long as they're not too powerful ofc :D)

A lot of the animations and creature artwork could be redone, and the idea about new variations of old monsters is an awesome one ;)

[Voted for improve new stuff, I think thats the most important at this point :>

Edited by Shujral

I do see what Lyren is saying...isn't adding new monsters about gameplay more than it is about aesthetics?

I think making the creature's 3d models/animations would be more time consuming ;)

I still would like to see more creatures to fit in with certain areas.. (Like mummies instead of goblins in deserts... Sphinx instead of puma.... ice trolls in ice maps... and also I still want to see the "Female Ogre" since we have a Male Ogre :D

I voted for more creatures, but not like the latest additions... (all sorts of creatures I only see a second before I die).

I was hoping for some more variety and this suggestion from Acelon seems perfect to me :)

Secondly I would vote for fixing the existing stuff. We have seen great improvements when other things were redone (wolves/foxes/etc.)

Lastly I want to say that I'm not again new weapons and armors, but again, not like the latest additions (those armors that I only see a second before I die :))

Some armor with nearly the same stats as currently existing armor might not even be bad, even if it is just for a change.

But, more variety in monsters is imo the best option ;)

A make over of some creatures ( i also remember the old wolves and foxes, compared to those we have now they were.... bleh :D )

Only one new creature comes to mind...... chicken. add them to the farms instead of the rabbits you find everywhere. I remember the first time i went to Irilion and saw skunk and racoon running around, omg that was a relieve. no more rabbits :)

a face lift for some city's would be cool too, and then as Florian said, isn't it possible to use some different/random sizes to certain critters ? so when you train on i.e. Male Ogre one is a head smaller and the next goes 2 head's above you... would be awsum imho.

further on some new kinds of clothing would be cool too and more anymation on objects, client side like suggested would be nice.

As said before the grafics and details in EL are what makes this game different from others and its lovely too ;)

*edit some typo's

Edited by Walt-Her

I voted other, and here is what I'll vote for being worked on (In order of priority):

..... removed to save on clutter

Am I missing something? She's asking for ARTWORK additions and improvements... not programming stuff. Learn to read guys.

Sorry, I understood it as a question of whether to focus on artwork or programming improvements, and that was the question I gave my opinion on.

As to artwork I'll say that I'd go for more variation in the creatures/monsters (including player and NPC races), some creatures looks a bit like just being the same monster with different skin and size.

This thread is for only artwork improvements, not programming.

Anyway thanks for all your input guys! I'll definitely be working on updating and redesigning a lot of graphics. Mainly the houses and some misc. objects on C1, and these creatures:

cyclops

troll

ogre

unarmed goblin & orcs

gargoyles

bears

puma

leopard

If you guys see anything specifically that you think can use an update let me know(post a screenshot!).

I'll also make a new creature here and there too.

Well looks like I'm a little late with responding, but I figured I'd throw in my own thoughts anyway. ;)

I'd definitely love to see improvements and revisions on existing things. But I believe I also really like the idea of variations of things, like monsters/items with same stats, but different looks. Just so there's more a more varied look everywhere. Monsters that fit their habitat, different armors. Perhaps even new armor and/or clothes, but does each new armor need to be better than the last? What about adding some new armors that are cheaper with lower stats, or new clothes that are lower stats and less expensive. Each new armor that comes out tends to seem to be better than the one before (according to stats or ingredients) thus more expensive, thus more rare, and everybody sticks to the old stuff. What's the harm in adding some lower level armors? :)

In summary, I think it would be great if the existing things were improved upon, and I think it would be cool to see more variation in everything from monsters to armor. :)

Can't wait to see what new artwork you produce Roja! :D (no matter what it is)

Edited by Enly

I also like Enly's ideas ;) More artwork variety in same creatures would be great, as in a selection of versions to pick from at random. And what she said. :D

\:)/ for improvements and new creatures!

And I hope the pengman race and the rocket launcher are still being worked on too!

(I'm pretty sure I've seen some concept art and/or alpha stage screenshots a while ago...)

Maybe the leather armor could be changed..

doesn't look that cool imo,

some more details etc.

And maybe give cloaks 2 colors

like a color inside and outside another color

just some idea's ... :)

I think cloacks could use a new model and texture. They look a little simple and like a square at the bottom.

Cloaks could really use some makeup. Worn and ragged look comes to mind :)

The cloaks aren't meant to be worn and ragged. They're actually perfectly fine as is-they are supposed to be just 1 solid color too. Adding polygons won't really be worth it here. Some things, like detail in armor, can't be improved upon because the texture size is so small, and can't be made larger.

I'd love to have more creatures.

Edited by time4u2die

Improve existing stuff for a while.

For example, the gargs are old and caught some dust during the years, and if Roja thinks, its time to brush them up, its ok for me.

:P

Piper

Thanks for all the improvements to the game over the time i have played

and allways look forword to seeing what comes next.

This is a bit off topic as it not a improvement on old art work,

but is there a way to put smilies/emotions into the in-game chat.

I just think it will make the chat more fun if not colourfull :devlish:

I apologize for the second post :icon13: but there is one NPC I noticed last night that appears as if he has never changed since the very beginning of EL. I'm torn between the thought of him remaining the very same forever (he is already a grand icon) or give him a spectacular makeover! I'm referring to everyone's favorite big blue goon.... The Wraith!

Also a quick note on more animation and small critters running around, even though I get chastized for bringing this up often... A big feature of EL that makes it THE ultimate 3D mmorpg is the fact that it plays well on low-end computer systems like my own. I'm not the only player that is thankful for this as well, there are a few that already have had to stop playing since the last few updates. Animation is the one thing that affects this the most, everything recently added (eye candy, sky, sound effects too) has been switchable in Options and that's a big win, the more adjustable the better!

Thanks!

Well after thinking for a while i voted for option #4: Nothing new improve existing stuff.

It would be great to have lots of new monsters and weapons armours implemented in the game but adding lots of new stuff without improving the old ones first would only make a gap between the new shiny monsters with great details and the old monsters we all gotten used too.

If the old monsters gets a "facelift" ppl would get curious to see how they look and check it out and if a house gets perked up it would be easier to, if needed, to put in a new house in there without the old one looking like a shed next to a mansion..

Improving the existing stuff would make the game look shiny new, when i started to play i was looking around at all the animals and items houses and thought it looked cool, i enjoyed walking around watching stuff while exploring and see how everything looked if it gets a makeover i would do that again and alot of newbies/oldies too

Edited by Entris

Voted for improving existing aspects of the game. I remember playing the game just about before titanium/steel plate armors were implemented (the first time i saw the designs of the plate armors I was astounded), and since then I've seen alot being added into the game.

For me (just like many others) I'd like to see some of the older looking monsters (the gargoyles, ogres, etc.) be given new looks, as the devs see fit. And please, keep the flow of stat-less fashionable items (shirts, pants, hats, cloaks/capes, walking sticks(?)) coming, we need more of those.

For me a cyclops could look like this

cyc.png

and I would still have fun.

So i vote for more stuff, more creatures, not necessarily fightable.

What about the 2-D NPC portraits? Would you still like people to contribute their personal photos to be made into NPC portraits for the NPC dialogs?

I apologize for the second post :icon13: but there is one NPC I noticed last night that appears as if he has never changed since the very beginning of EL. I'm torn between the thought of him remaining the very same forever (he is already a grand icon) or give him a spectacular makeover! I'm referring to everyone's favorite big blue goon.... The Wraith!

It's funny you mention this because the wraith actually DID get a makeover! Maybe around 2yrs ago or so now, but we were also debating on whether or not to change him to a unicorn or something more "newbie friendly", but left him because the players wanted him to stay.

Maybe someone has some screenshots of what he used to look like? If not I'll have to dig some out later.

What about the 2-D NPC portraits? Would you still like people to contribute their personal photos to be made into NPC portraits for the NPC dialogs?

No, actually I made a ton new portraits and they are just waiting to be placed in the game.