Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Artwork additions & improvements

Art stuff poll, but please read the post too!  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you want most?

• More creatures
    • More weapons & armor
    • More clothes (eyecandy-only items)
    • Nothing new for a while, just improve existing stuff
    • Other -I am making a post with another option.

aww man , The Wraith does come to mind when you asked if theres anything in particular that could be improved. But I think keeping him as a wraith is a good thing. Him being all spooky and death like makes you wonder what sort of a ride your in for in Eternal LAnds and it sets the tone perfectly IMO.

If you change the Wraith to a Unicorn it might give new players the idea that EL is a bit like a 3D My Little Pony and the best weapon they can hope to find themselves using is the Sponge of Extra Cleaning.

*edit* the wraith being a wraith gave me the suggestion that death plays a part in EL , when I first started playing

Edited by Ateh

aww man , The Wraith does come to mind when you asked if theres anything in particular that could be improved. But I think keeping him as a wraith is a good thing. Him being all spooky and death like makes you wonder what sort of a ride your in for in Eternal LAnds and it sets the tone perfectly IMO.

If you change the Wraith to a Unicorn it might give new players the idea that EL is a bit like a 3D My Little Pony and the best weapon they can hope to find themselves using is the Sponge of Extra Cleaning.

*edit* the wraith being a wraith gave me the suggestion that death plays a part in EL , when I first started playing

Whole-heartedly agree. IP is newbie-friendly in game-play, and to me that is what is important. We're always being reminded that this game was not designed for children, so I agree with Ateh that having the spooky "there's more to this game than just bunnies and flower picking" element of the Wraith on IP is a good thing.

Other -I am making a post with another option.

New p2p races! \o/

Yeah, would be good. :)

I voted new armour & swords.. Although now I wish I voted creatures.

#Edit - Is there a way to make cloaks more 3D, move in the wind, and not like a flat image?

Edited by Chosen

There are so many areas that exist and are still being unfinished that I would give this a priority. Schools, shops, even entire maps that have artwork ready but no npc's / monsters / harvestables / special functions. I'm not sure if any new stuff should be added until the majority of existing game features is being brought to its full potential.

Also (this has been suggested already) existing artwork should have more uses - players should be able to interact with more of existing items in game. Vast majority of artwork serves exclusively for decoration, it would be beneficial to make a practical use of as many of them as possible.

In terms of new artwork (if any) I've voted for new creatures. But again, there are still creatures nearly no one hunts whose drops are pretty useless. I'd start then with adding new applications for the existing stuff.

Whole-heartedly agree. IP is newbie-friendly in game-play, and to me that is what is important. We're always being reminded that this game was not designed for children, so I agree with Ateh that having the spooky "there's more to this game than just bunnies and flower picking" element of the Wraith on IP is a good thing.

Please no need to go on debating this, the Wraith isn't moving, I didn't say he was or that we're thinking about it :)

#Edit - Is there a way to make cloaks more 3D, move in the wind, and not like a flat image?

Yeah, you can go to a fabric store, buy some cloth, and then run around..it'll move in the wind :)

Guys, this is a game, not RL...we're not God :)

How about some new new medallions or such like a med for ranging any new crafting items would be cool.

You obviously don't look at the game files much :bow_arrow:

There are quite a few unused rings/medallions in the game folder.

I'd love to have more creatures.

I think this would be nice to have to :medieval:

Poison weapons would be cool. Poison arrows. Being able to shoot two arrows at once to :D

I don't think this is really a new items suggestion thread.

And except for a Robin Hood movie, shooting two arrows at once really doesn't work. And before you argue that it can work... ranging is mostly about missing targets as it is. Why would you want to make it harder?

What I think could use improvement is the existing textures, namely flowers/plants and quartz. Some higher resolution textures, maybe mipmapped(is that what I'm thinking?) for lower end machines. I like to zoom in everywhere, looking for secret locks or hidden resources, and most all the old flowers look very pixilated up close (blue star flower and blue lupines come to mind).

Roja, what has been done so far is really impressive and I am sure everyone shares my opinion.

[snip]

This said, I would suggest people who work on these things to try to improve it even more (whenever/wherever possible). There are so many things that can be added which belong to this group of "visual" items - i would like to see some windmills, flying balloons (yes, flying objects can also be made just for visual impression), on rivers we could have mills, we could have some creatures that live in the ground and occasionally appear above it (again, just for visual impression), and when someone passes by they would quickly jump into the ground and disappear.

I would like to have more "holy creatures" like Unicorn as well. I would request COWs here as a holy creature (some people would laugh here, but I am actually serious). No, i am not Indian, but i just love cows and would definitely have them in EL as holy creatures. It would also be interesting to have glowing fairies for an example.

[snip]

I really like the idea of more "holy" creatures, especially smaller ones like chickens, chickadees etc. Maybe some waterfowl to go with the lovely sky reflections on the water :medieval:

[snip]

To throw in another wish of mine: More moving objects in the world. Right now we only have some eye candy, some waves but nothing that moves besides the characters and wildlife.

I also like this idea, moving objects like a river mill, moving windmill etc, just for client eye candy.

\:D/ for improvements and new creatures!

And I hope the pengman race and the rocket launcher are still being worked on too!

(I'm pretty sure I've seen some concept art and/or alpha stage screenshots a while ago...)

lol, was wondering if someone was going to unzombie that one :D

What I think could use improvement is the existing textures, namely flowers/plants and quartz. Some higher resolution textures, maybe mipmapped(is that what I'm thinking?) for lower end machines. I like to zoom in everywhere, looking for secret locks or hidden resources, and most all the old flowers look very pixilated up close (blue star flower and blue lupines come to mind).

The Spirit Restoration Potion and the Engineering Potion (probably others as well) could use a bit of tuning as well ;)

There is no gradient like the Poison Antidote or the Manufacturing Potion for example.

I0701.jpgI2001.jpg

VS

I1519.jpgI0702.jpg

Maybe this was intended (though I doubt that is the case for SRs) like certain other potions. But I thought I'd just post this..

Yeah that's pretty much intended..some fluids-like oil & water, don't mix. They're just small pictures and I just had to make as much variety as possible. So almost anything goes there ;)

And as for higher res textures, well, we don't have the means to support 3GB downloads like some games do :) Keeping the game relatively small allows us to let you guys play for free-less cost to us, less to you. Of course, some textures can be made bigger, but only to a point.

[snip]

And as for higher res textures, well, we don't have the means to support 3GB downloads like some games do :) Keeping the game relatively small allows us to let you guys play for free-less cost to us, less to you. Of course, some textures can be made bigger, but only to a point.

I see your point there, could be a separate download like the music packs. Have you considered .torrent's at all? I would continually seed that ;)

The only thing we might do is make it a $ pay for it download. Although we wouldn't be against people putting it on torrents. In any case that'd be a far into the future thing.

I voted to not make anything new for a while and improve the existing items.. I believe if we take the time out to improve our existing items, in the future, we will gradually build new ideas for new items as time rolls along. :D:icon13:

The only thing we might do is make it a $ pay for it download. Although we wouldn't be against people putting it on torrents. In any case that'd be a far into the future thing.

I always thought it would be cool to have higher resolutions textures like you had of the dragon armor in-game. I would, without a doubt, pay for a higher resolution game.

:D

I'd love to see the building artwork changed. It would be good to have more varied looks for the buildings but it would depend I suppose if it would fit with the time the game is set in. I love balconies but I suppose that would be too modern for game houses?

How about some apple trees dotted around? (Maybe to replace fruit on the ground?)

How about some apple trees dotted around? (Maybe to replace fruit on the ground?)

<player> started to harvest apples

An apple dropped on <player>'s head, reasoning +8 for 8 minutes, -1 per minute (Newton's Apple)

I love balconies but I suppose that would be too modern for game houses?

You're not much of an explorer, eh? :icon13:

Check Hurquin and you might be surprised :P

Also there are harvestable bananas in SRM.

"Nothing new for a while, just improve existing stuff"

Goddamn Yes ;D

Been lots of lovely improvements lately thought!

Edited by Tvinn

If these doesnt increase the game size too much, I think, some Trees and Bushes can get a make over? since its on majority of lands, will surely improve the looks.