Eternal Lands Official Forums
Roja

Artwork additions & improvements

Art stuff poll, but please read the post too!  

264 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you want most?

• More creatures
    • More weapons & armor
    • More clothes (eyecandy-only items)
    • Nothing new for a while, just improve existing stuff
    • Other -I am making a post with another option.

I'm willing to bribe you too Florian :)

To throw in another wish of mine: More moving objects in the world. Right now we only have some eye candy, some waves but nothing that moves besides the characters and wildlife.

My thought to begin with when I saw the poll was to put in more animals and make the world of Draia more lively and real (:

But if it would be possible to improve the current animations and objects (maybe even without raising the demands for the computer equipment? I'm not a pretty weak machine myself :) ), then that would be great! The game is impressive as it is (Great work Roja!), but liek all things it can always be improved.

Armors and weapons would also be nice at a time I guess. But it is not a priority at the moment. Manufacturing anyway is one of the most filled up skills at the moment.

//Zilvador

I voted "more creatures".

This doesn't mean completely new creatures, but more variations.

Use actor scaling more often. There could me more spiders. And "Senior Leprechauns", young feline creatues, novice Feros, goblin teenagers ...

A random size factor would also be welcome. +/- 5% (or 10%, don't know if 5% would be noticable) for some creatures, gargs, orcs, etc.

Good idea, it would be an easy way to get a greater variety of creatures.

Rehdon

-98 weapons in the game! Wow when I read that in the other poll I couldn't believe there were so many. Doesn't sound like we need more of them..but what do you think? Would you want any other new weapons & armor?

This is enough, imo. Let what we have be tweaked/perfected until the game is ready for another major system change.

-There are a lot of old crappy looking creatures that need a big makeover (cyclops, trolls, gargoyles)...is this of any importance to you or should I just leave it until I've really got nothing better to do? Would you rather new creatures added?

I'd rather see the existing creatures improved for now.

-Same thing with some old houses and other environmental stuff. Some art is old and can use updating..which I'm more than likely going to do in any case but I'd like your input on it. Is it something important to you with regards to the game, do you care? Do you like it as it is?

I'd really like to see more interiors, in more places. The wonderful, detailed maps have lots of curious and inviting things in them that don't do anything or go anywhere. Maybe use more of these to add more depth to these great places?

-Is there anything in particular that stands out to you as really needing some fixing/make over?

Nah. This is all "wish list" stuff for me. :)

-Would you rather a lot of new things or fixing up of the old things?

Fixing up the old, for now. EL has so much really great stuff in it, and I'd like to see all this great work developed and matured a bit before more is added. It might actually help with prioritizing or choosing a direction for the next wave of additions.

Improve existing things. More weapons and armor seems un-necessary. More tailoring clothes might be nice but then again if that happens there will be 4-5 players in game with all teh gc lol ( not that anyone would mind cos they earnt it )

No seriously, improving the look of existing artwork sounds great because it does make a difference to the feel of the game not only for well established players but also for newcomers who spend alot of time wandering around aimlessly taking in the sights ( or was that just me that did that ? )

I voted for more creatures although I guess we have a fairly good selection now.

I would like to see more clothing but it'll take forever to train up to making the clothing that is already implemented so there's no rush on that. There may be some clothing items that would be popular for personalizing your character such as a conical wizard's hat or an eyepatch (both of which I was planning to post in suggestions).

Another item that would in my opinion make the game look better is a walking stick or staff. I know it would take a bit of work on the character animations but it would make for nice screnshots. The same animations could be used for a character carrying staff or quarterstaff weapons while walking. I think it would look more natural than the way they are carried now.

I see someone mentioned javelin/throwing spear in this thread - I was thinking we should have something like that but hadn't gotten around to suggesting it. I don't think we need much in the way of additional weapons or armor.

Using the new camera options, I'm finding the scenery looking pretty nice. I'm sure there are some things that can be improved but it isn't detracting from my enjoyment of the game. Fixing up map glitches would be higher on my list. I keep trying to take note of map glitches I see such as places where you can see inside a boulder - stuff like that does detract from my enjoyment of the game.

-98 weapons in the game! Wow when I read that in the other poll I couldn't believe there were so many. Doesn't sound like we need more of them..but what do you think? Would you want any other new weapons & armor?

when you really look at it though, IMO, there really arent close to 98 weapons in game. the majority of the ones on that list are just variations of the original, like titanium serp - titanium serp of fire / ice / magic - used titanium serp, and it goes on like that through most weapons.

so excluding all of these variations theres only around 32 unique weapons in game, so personally id like to see more original weapons.

(and i hope its not a little contradictory :)) i like Florians idea about new variations of already existing creatures

I will not talk stories about unfinished fight system, and useless weapons. I want say about other.

We have dead and not driven world, only some creatures and players walking around. We have good(I believe) engineer skill, but can't look for some new tech decoration, I think world around us should Engine, for example the mill in PV should work, and we should see it. Also need to make some fantasy-tech machines. And other and other things, for make EL world is alive.

Animation Emotes however will definitely happen whenever we can get a programmer to help us out with that.

I'll be glad to work on this one if it's in my competences. Maybe onyxa/knufasz would be interested to work on it as well IIRC. :)

Out of that, I've voted for improving the existing stuff.

Id love to see the current art reworked, here and there? Could you please raise my knees a little in the front? smile.

That being said, eye candy is fun, but requires larger downloads. However, I would love to have a simple change of clothes, similar to the default set but different color/texture? A set I can afford? :)

And I once thought it would be fun to come into game and discover my hair/beard had grown (a random coded event from Mother Nature). Then you may go to a haircut shop and get cut/shave from the default images again.

I think it would be funny to be mining and poof, you would have some new funny hair all over your head, down to the ground, in your face. Just a good laugh for everyone!

I think it would be nice to see some of the 'lighter feeling' 'brighter' buildings on c1. Perhaps replacing the buildings on IP first where the new players first view is? But then again, I am a girl.

We wouldn't want to chase men away from the game because they landed there and thought it was too sweet, or whatever. :)

A few new creatures would be nice, but we do have a lot now. However when training I seem to get stuck working on just one creature for a long time, and it would be a nice change to have a few, either at the same level or between the levels. If you follow me?

Adding more animated items is nice however, it can cause lag. I have dial up and get so much lag when I am near water fountains, that I try to stay clear of them if I can. Sometimes, there is no choice, but its difficult when your fps is down to 1 to get someplace. smile.

Sorry to be so long winded, just trying to give some ideas about what you said in your post.

Animating objects is implemented very roughly, using the scripting language PAWN inside the client.

It's very untested and not touched since before the 1.5 release I think.

I don't know if the client still compiles with PAWN enabled ...

So if there's a programmer out there with some knowledge on how to include the PAWN language into the client and make it easily usable, go for it :)

Last time I tried it out there were some demonstrations what it can do in the client:

- auto-rotate the camp fire tree on IP <-- this could be used to shake/bend trees in the direction of the wind when it rains or storms, or move other stuff, rock boats, etc.

- rotate the object under the mouse when you press F-something (F12 IIRC) <-- this is not synchronized with other players, so client-only and pretty useless

Always keep in mind that there's no server synchronization, so all movements must be eye candy only as others will certainly see the objects in another state. So nothing like moving bridges Harry-Potter-style. Moving the windmill blades might be a problem, I think the windmill is one object. Roja would have to redesign several objects, divert them into seperate objects to make parts movable.

I feel that some of the old creatures (troll, ogre, unarmed gob, cyclops) could use a makeover... while gargs could use some minor cleanup.

I still would like to see more creatures to fit in with certain areas.. (Like mummies instead of goblins in deserts... Sphinx instead of puma.... ice trolls in ice maps... and also I still want to see the "Female Ogre" since we have a Male Ogre :)

Hello :)

Thanks Roja for listening :(

I liked Aislinn's and Dejan's ideas for visuals improvement/extension...

More biuldings with more than one floor, to match the outside. More ellaborate stairs to go with it, moving away from the small steps, something that feels more realistic spacially. More tapestrys and decoration? And what they said :)

Sounds like a new cyclops should probably be a priority too though, and maybe the chimeran wolves after that? But not at the expense of interiors and map details. Apologies if those have already been improved, I don't go near them alot.

Regarding PAWN, hmm, I hadnt heard of it before thanks for the info.

And while reading your post, I had a vision of just standing there, har a rose or something next to a tree, and the tree moved, frightening me, lol. Maybe it took a big breath or yawned? Laughing.

Perhaps the client side animations is something that may be turned on and off one day. And perhaps they could just pass a local message saying 'rayna just jumped because her tree yawned'. Smile, or not.

-Is there anything in particular that stands out to you as really needing some fixing/make over?

But if it would be possible to improve the current animations and objects (maybe even without raising the demands for the computer equipment? I'm not a pretty weak machine myself :) ), then that would be great! The game is impressive as it is (Great work Roja!), but liek all things it can always be improved.

Dragons...

I love the animations on most every monster in game, but one in particular causes me (and I'm sure many others) particular grief due to resyncs with the server. Maybe it would be possible to tweak the dragons a bit so that every time they do the flying animation, nearby players don't end up resyncing, and finding themselves in the underworld when the dragons are nowhere near them before the animation starts. Even if the flying animation could simply be toggled off in the client somehow, it would make it possible for me to go near them.

I like the idea of new weapons and armour, but, something between titanium and bronze and dragon armour. there are a few minerals and ores still not used in the game, maybe some new types of weapons and armours, maybe they will be the new PK gear.

my only worry with upgrading all the graphics of creatures is the FPS.... it might make it even lower on certain PCs and increase the lag a little too much, as it is on my laptop with vista it is hard to train....

I voted for Fixing existing things up, but I would also love to see new clothes, another playable race(Yes, I read the previous posts on that.), and more regular creatures. :)

I voted other, and here is what I'll vote for being worked on (In order of priority):

1. Interface: a move-to/follow/hunt option. When attacking or trying to harvest I find it very annoying to get the "to far away! move closer" message all the time. This could be added to the ctrl-click option, so that if you are not carrying a bow you'd start moving towards the target, and engage it when you get within range.
  2. Quests: better interface, bug-fixes etc. Each quest listed separately, and missing updates from npc talks fixed. In some cases better explanations are needed.
  3. Interface: filtered listing of chat-log. Where checking/un-checking various chat content would show/hide the appropriate lines.
  4. Content for unused map areas mainly insides.
  5. Graphics and more Creature/Monster spawns.

Am I missing something? She's asking for ARTWORK additions and improvements... not programming stuff. Learn to read guys.

More creatures

Im not sure at the moment any new creatures are needed, but as Acelon suggested variants of a few exsisting one's would be nice ( and proberbly a lot less work than totally new ones)

More weapons & armor

No need IMo for any new weapons, but it would be nice just to have differant variants on the ingame armours ( so we dont all look like clones) , wether thats simply Black aug armour or full face Steel helms

More clothes (eyecandy-only items)

This is the option I voted for, just for the simple fact IMO thats after hoods are manuable the tailoring skill will stagnate ( and no I dont tailor), it needs new items to keep it fresh and alive

And also Variants of already Ingame creatures/armour could be classed as eyecandy

I'd love to see new p2p races. However, considering Roja's post I voted for 'Nothing new...'

I voted for more critters, but specifically would like to see something in the gap between wolves and goblins. Otherwise, some improvements on existing features would be wonderful!

There are already so many new features that I haven't gotten to it will take a long time to catch up as it is! BTW, this post counts for Mugwump too, I don't want to vote twice. ;)

I voted "more creatures".

This doesn't mean completely new creatures, but more variations.

Use actor scaling more often. There could me more spiders. And "Senior Leprechauns", young feline creatues, novice Feros, goblin teenagers ...

A random size factor would also be welcome. +/- 5% (or 10%, don't know if 5% would be noticable) for some creatures, gargs, orcs, etc.

As a PvE, I voted more creatures. I also quoted florian who also mentioned an easy way to

add more creatures to the game. I always imagined a Massive Spider the size of a dragon, and maybe female ogres,etc

If not, 'fixing up' the existing ones, like the change to the wolf\fox are still wonderful.

If I could vote on alternates it would be in this order (Improvements to the existing game components, New weapons and armors (but I

know its extremely difficult to add those, to maintain balance)