Eternal Lands Official Forums
Banedon

PK server List of Criminals

It's interesting to see how the posts in this thread line up on two very distinct camps: those that see the PK server as some sort of elite kingdom run by a select few, and those that see it as a tight self-moderated community that's a lot of fun. What's also interesting is that those that bash it don't play there now, or ever (even if they have/had an account) and those who appear to support the direction are those who play every day (some since the day it came on-line).

What's up with that? ;)

And for the record, I didn't ask for and don't want any authority on that server. I spend most of my time running away and hiding from people over there anyway (being a basic supplier). I'd be more than happy to let anyone better able take over that slot or just give it up.

Also, my impression is that if there was community push-back against the three PKers trying to keep the peace, they'd all step down too. After all, they're already strong enough to protect themselves, they don't have anything to worry about.

It's interesting to see how the posts in this thread line up on two very distinct camps: those that see the PK server as some sort of elite kingdom run by a select few, and those that see it as a tight self-moderated community that's a lot of fun.

Again from a non participant perspective.

It usually has something to do where the people stand in the power base. Probably those the benefit from the

power base will call it tight self moderated community and not an oligarchy. You don't normally see tyrants and

their benefited followers calling themselves 'power hungry elitists'.

Just a real life example because I lack a better comparison [ Please forgive any mixed feeling about this comparison. There is no

way to compare this without going so far back in history no one will even 'get it']

The nazis to the rest of the world are\was 'bloody thirsty power hungry murders hell bent on world domination',

and to their own party 'bringing back the glory to Germany, and restoring the health, economy, and strength to the German people"

I would make a contemporary comparison, but it would only degrade into a political argument.

Hmm...Perhaps a pk server account would be a good way to study a micro oligarchy (at least for me).

The nazis to the rest of the world are\was 'bloody thirsty power hungry murders hell bent on world domination',

and to their own party 'bringing back the glory to Germany, and restoring the health, economy, and strength to the German people"

Yeah, true, and the americans were only throwing fluffy towels and won WWII, as they do right now in Iraq and Afghanistn, right?

But i still dont see what that has to do with the PK server.

Piper

Yeah, true, and the americans were only throwing fluffy towels and won WWII, as they do right now in Iraq and Afghanistn, right?

But i still dont see what that has to do with the PK server.

Piper

I said 'I would make a contemporary comparison, but it would only degrade into a political argument.'

Thank you for making my point for me.

As i said, what has such a discussion to do with the PK server?

Piper

Real Life oligarchy vs a virtual one? And the different names people use based on if they

are part or not part of the oligarchy?

And maybe the disclaimer I typed before it of "Just a real life example because I lack a better comparison "

Just a real life example because I lack a better comparison ...
There's just one small flaw in your comparison, it doesn't apply. There are no political parties to run, armies to control, or foreign lands to invade.

The comparisons made elsewhere to an old-west style of town sheriff is a much more accurate way to describe the system being tried. The idea of vigilantes could even be applied (although I don't happen to agree that it's an accurate description of what's happening on the PK server).

Feel free to come and watch, but you'll be observing something closer to a small town community than a whole nation. And there's no oligarchy to be seen. But feel free to decide if the sheriff(s) are good or bad, honest or corrupt, trying to help or trying to control people.

It's interesting to see how the posts in this thread line up on two very distinct camps: those that see the PK server as some sort of elite kingdom run by a select few, and those that see it as a tight self-moderated community that's a lot of fun.

Again from a non participant perspective.

It usually has something to do where the people stand in the power base. Probably those the benefit from the

power base will call it tight self moderated community and not an oligarchy. You don't normally see tyrants and

their benefited followers calling themselves 'power hungry elitists'.

Just a real life example because I lack a better comparison [ Please forgive any mixed feeling about this comparison. There is no

way to compare this without going so far back in history no one will even 'get it']

I would make a contemporary comparison, but it would only degrade into a political argument.

Hmm...Perhaps a pk server account would be a good way to study a micro oligarchy (at least for me).

Robotbob I was not going to post but you bring up some good pts. However I must think of a couple things here that maybe you have misunderstood do to 2 people who don't play perception.

only 1 rule does benefit the top 3 fighters and that is the language. and if you saw by the rule I put down it was not that people could not swear or even act arrogant as you may say but if it starts to get offensive and people say something it is time to stop.

NOw how do the other rules benefit the top 3. considering 2 of the 3 are from the same guild and the 3rd is guildless.

SO lets look at it. the community rules based on pk during invasion is specifically geared to the lower lvl players so those that are stronger than them just don't go in and kill them.

Yes 1 on 1 and even 1 on 2. i can win but I can be beat by using the game mechanics. I actually care more about the community than I do about my play. the reason for the different lvl's of invasions monsters is to help new people who are playing, by giving them something to do instead of invasions only for the top players.

SO if you understand this than you would understand that if we just pk all the lesser players during an invasion they will either quit playing or quit partaking in the events. AS A COMMUNITY WE DON"T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN.

The reason why this originally was posted was to pass on the word about punishment. originally it was being done internally but I kept getting pm's do you know what x did during yesterday's invasion.

Why do you think the community came to me. not because I am a dictator but because I am respected, I am a powerful fighter in game, and I am fair. In fact probably too Easy. Most of the community did not think my way of taking care of the situation was strong enough.

But what has that to do with this topic?

Anyways, im off to bed now.

Piper

Absolutely nothing.

I was replying to spleens initial comment and the following reply by Banedon

Then I replied to bkc56 comment about the views of opposing camps.

Happy now?

Just a real life example because I lack a better comparison ...
There's just one small flaw in your comparison, it doesn't apply. There are no political parties to run, armies to control, or foreign lands to invade.

The comparisons made elsewhere to an old-west style of town sheriff is a much more accurate way to describe the system being tried. The idea of vigilantes could even be applied (although I don't happen to agree that it's an accurate description of what's happening on the PK server).

Feel free to come and watch, but you'll be observing something closer to a small town community than a whole nation. And there's no oligarchy to be seen. But feel free to decide if the sheriff(s) are good or bad, honest or corrupt, trying to help or trying to control people.

Well regardless of a actual party name, elections, place to invade.

I was referring to "power effectively rests with a small elite segment of society"

and from my outsider perspective, this is what has been created.

[i don't mean insults by this, purely clinical. Its only reinforces my perspective when hostile replies are made]

On the point of "good or bad, honest or corrupt" doesn't matter, its about how dispersed the power base is. An oligarchy will

never see itself as "'evil" and everyone outside it will always see them as "bad".

Edit: Albeit it maybe an attraction for some people to get an account, I only initially posted to point out this will only drive away

most people that may get an account. But entirely IMHO

Edit2: It occurred to me that perhaps people think 'Oligarchy' somehow means an evil corrupt government. A sheriff ruling a old west town(well if he

ain't the EaRps, then maybe its a Autocracy :lipssealed:), or a vigilante mob are types of oligarchies.

Edited by robotbob

I was referring to "power effectively rests with a small elite segment of society" and from my outsider perspective, this is what has been created.
I'm curious as to what "power" you feel is in the hands of the "small elite"?

The power to PK? Well they have that anyway (well, other than me).

The power to impose trade sanctions? That only works if the rest of the community agrees with the crime/punishment (it's trivial to get around trade bans if you feel the person doesn't deserve it).

The power to post their names on a forum? Most people couldn't care less about that (some even take honor in being posted to an "outlaws" type forum).

It's just not clear to me what this horrible power hungry elite is suppose to have.

Such violent opposition to an opposing opinion.

I have nothing against a thriving PK server. I would have loved to continue to play there (initially I was driven off by the namecalling and general nastiness, but you may well be right that this has levelled out and it is a nice happy place to be) but I have every right to voice my concern about a collection of judge jury executioners who seem to without any real accountablility pass judgement on "outlaws" like they run the place.

Some may like it and that's ok. To me it seems highly self-serving and is a complete turn-off to me returning. I am allowed this opinion, and the nature of replies to it seem to further reinforce that the people in "control" and those that support them are not worthy of this status, whatever their levels.

Here is where I don't say "stfu".

S.

I was referring to "power effectively rests with a small elite segment of society" and from my outsider perspective, this is what has been created.

The power to impose trade sanctions? That only works if the rest of the community agrees with the crime/punishment (it's trivial to get around trade bans if you feel the person doesn't deserve it).

The power to post their names on a forum? Most people couldn't care less about that (some even take honor in being posted to an "outlaws" type forum).

It's just not clear to me what this horrible power hungry elite is suppose to have.

Oh I don't know:

THe below 4 are the only ones who can pass judgement and their judgement is final. If you have an issue with judgements passed you will take it up in private with the person who sentenced you only. Only he can change judgement.

BKC56

Lonewolfe (banedon)

Yaser

Handyman

Sure smells like an "power effectively rests with a small elite segment of society" to MHO. Why so defensive? its ok to be an oligarchy. I didn't

label you evil, its just the style of 'keeping order' that has been chosen, thats all. And alot of new perspective players maybe turned off, or should

know who they 'should be nice to' if they choose to buy an account to play there with. :lipssealed:

YOu are correct you have a right but to presume based on forum post not based on the community as to how things are being handled as strong as you did was out of control.

1 you knew not all the details befor you arbitrarely posted so strongly.

if you want to know the details. here it is in a nutshell

1.we keep most if not 95% internal to the server and do not post on here for this very reason.

2. all the rules I posted were ones that we all agree upon in game. I did not just make them up.

3. the person who broke the rule on pking lesser players during a major invasion did it once before and said he did notknow. so no community punishment was given.

4. This time it was done again. he said the old owner still had the account and he knew nothing of what happened until afterwords. MY initial response was a slap on the wrist, he said he changed his password so that it would not happen again.

5. the community felt this was not enough. and requested I give a harsher punishment. 2k gc is not much to someone of his lvl. where is that 2k supposed to go? to the people that he infringed on the community rules to.

I am not actively wanting to punish a player with trade sanctions or anything of the such but a person can hide within game and come out and kill all the Lower level and new players when an invasion is going on, and we can't do anything about it, since we are tied up with trying to keep ourselves alive with our lvl mob.

So you can say WELL LVL YOUR A/D to protect yourself. well great so they goto the next lvl during invasions and a person or player does the same. If we don't nip this as a community even more players will be lost to it.

so together as a community we came up with these rules. and it fell upon the top fighters to basically show our swords as a way of making it happen.

and unfortunately in EL that is the only way on the server that it can be done. If you have another way that would work and not require more than self Moderation I will be the first to welcome and accept it.

LOnewolfe

I leave for 24 hours and my sweet, quiet community breaks to all hell...

1. Leave Lone alone. He was posting because people came to him asking for help. He may run around killing everyone on the server, but he has done so while still gaining respect. He cares about the community and the server and is acting in its best interest.

2. OK, maybe there should have been a vote on who should be the law enforcers, but hell, we all probably would have voted these four anyway, the top fighters are really the only ones with the ability to do it, and (and this one I guarantee) there would be 200 people voting. Hmm...

3. Law enforcers are necessary. The fact that these four people (and I'm including bkc even if he doesn't want the position because I completely agree with Lone) have no special banning powers, IP checks, ability to send anyone anywhere is good. Which leads to point 4.

4. The only way these four people can have any power at all (other than running around beating people up which isn't sufficient IMO) is for the rest of the community to support them and agree to the punishment. This is not an oligarchy. This is a community with a small council advising and enforcing a few select laws that benefit the community (not the person). Let's not blow this out of proportion. The only power these four have is the power the community grants them out of a desire to benefit the community. Those who disagree with the choices are still free to act against the community but understand the risk involved unless they have a sufficient number of people supporting them.

5. This is our community and this is our section of the forum. If you aren't an active player on the PK server, quit flaming our threads. Non-EL players making comments about how EL sucks would have all of their posts deleted. Please have enough sense to realize that unless you belong, you don't belong. If you want to have a voice on our forum, first have an active character. I'm not directing this to anyone in particular, but I'm sick and tired of people who have a personal grudge against this server for whatever reason jumping in to comment about WHY they don't play this server. Some of the posts on the PK server forum amount to "Blah blah blah Runescape is better" posts.

Can we please get back on topic now?

Bugspray

Has broken Community rule In reguards to PKIng during invasion.

I Spoke with Bugspray about this. He stated original owner had to have logged into the account. He has changed the password.

Bugspray has been put on watch. I will take his word for this, this time only.

However you are requested to pay 2k gc to those who were killed during the invasion on sunday plus whatever gear they may have lost to you "or other owner".

Spirited, Sego, and BKC shall be paid a fine of 2k gc each and also given what they post that they lost during the invasion due to being pk'd.

He has been warned.

If it happens again this is the punishment and will be considered 1st time offense.

1. NO trade for 7 days from date of sentencing.

2. HIs location is to be broadcast for people who can kill him to go hunt him down.

3. Anyone caught trading with him will also receive a sentencing.

4. He will be required to make monetary payment to those who he has affected.

Sounds right to me. No SRs for Bugspray for a week or until the situation is remedied. Got it.

Edit: oops, almost forgot-- Welcome Warken! Damn, sorry this is a book.

Edited by sygon

This is just rather dumb. So, you're going to try to change the way people play a game, by threatening to kill them when they do something? Perhaps it was wrong in your eyes, but they should still be allowed to play the game how they like.

Here's an example of something I see happening:

Player A gets a pk server account, starts playing. He doesn't know anyone in the server and doesn't read forums. He pks someone during an invasion. He then gets PM's from 3 different people saying that he better give stuff back + 2k GC or he will be hunted down. He denies. He then spends the next week getting pked constantly, and doesn't know why. He quits the server.

Sure, it may be extreme, and it may not happen. But still, what gives you the right to force people to play the game how you want them to play? You didn't create the game, you can't ban people. You're players. No need to get obnoxious and egotistical about it.

5. This is our community and this is our section of the forum. If you aren't an active player on the PK server, quit flaming our threads. Non-EL players making comments about how EL sucks would have all of their posts deleted. Please have enough sense to realize that unless you belong, you don't belong. If you want to have a voice on our forum, first have an active character. I'm not directing this to anyone in particular, but I'm sick and tired of people who have a personal grudge against this server for whatever reason jumping in to comment about WHY they don't play this server. Some of the posts on the PK server forum amount to "Blah blah blah Runescape is better" posts.

I don't have a grudge against the server. I don't play, but I intend to in the future. But, if this kind of dumb crap is going on there, then screw it. I'm not going to "bow down" to four people just because they have the highest a/d.

Edited by Eternity

YOu are correct you have a right but to presume based on forum post not based on the community as to how things are being handled as strong as you did was out of control.

1 you knew not all the details befor you arbitrarely posted so strongly.

if you want to know the details. here it is in a nutshell

1.we keep most if not 95% internal to the server and do not post on here for this very reason.

Oh how dare I. No I don't know the details.

No really, I'm just speaking from a possible new player on the pk server.

Please reread, Its Ok that you are an oligarchy. Its ok 4 players have decided to pass judgment on whoever they choose in

the name of the community, empire.

...And its good information for anyone thinking about playing on the server (should I join this drama?)

...And if I do, I know whose 'palms I should grease' in order to play with ease. (nice list of people to flatter in advance)

Thats all :confused: ( you probably should keep 95% of the posts off the forum, and handle the executions in private )

This is not an oligarchy.

[...]

Please have enough sense to realize that unless you belong, you don't belong.

I hope you can see the irony there :lipssealed:

OK eternity. Lets use your example

WE don't have any community rules you do what ever you please.

Been there done that lost 30+players to that in the first month of the game.

OK new player comes in lvl's and you can lvl fast in the game if you want to. waits for invasions so he can go kill people that are in a short area. He goes and kills them and does that over and over and over now all the lower level players quit. Leaving with only about 5 players.

I don't see how it benefits anyone.

so lets see if we go by your idea only 2 people may play.

IT already happened. now we came up with some community rules and got ok for Invasions, we made a community rule for invasions. the invasions were bringing in more and more people. The new players liked the invasions as well as the old players because it was a safe time during the invasions. where everyone could have fun even the non PK players who play on the servers.

We got ants on the server some people help the ants some people kill them.

WE have already learned that complete anarchy did not work. so we took the next step 4 community rules.

this is why I am saying if you acutaly new what happened from the beginning you would understand more. there are very few of us left that played from the beginning.

some of the reasons were once alot of the people who loved pk but hated the constant, swearing and name calling left, than those who were doing it left becasue now they had hardly anyone to pk. i

IN the beginning. It was like giving a 5th a list of racist comments and swear words and telling him to go out in the center of town and use everyone over and over and over.

Lone

Edited by Banedon

I knew when I was writing it that I should have kept it shorter or people wouldn't read it.

Please reread, Its Ok that you are an oligarchy. Its ok 4 players have decided to pass judgment on whoever they choose in

the name of the community, empire.

I'm guessing you missed the part where I said:

I leave for 24 hours and my sweet, quiet community breaks to all hell...

4. The only way these four people can have any power at all (other than running around beating people up which isn't sufficient IMO) is for the rest of the community to support them and agree to the punishment. This is not an oligarchy. This is a community with a small council advising and enforcing a few select laws that benefit the community (not the person). Let's not blow this out of proportion. The only power these four have is the power the community grants them out of a desire to benefit the community. Those who disagree with the choices are still free to act against the community but understand the risk involved unless they have a sufficient number of people supporting them.

Seriously...way out of proportion. We happily have a couple people willing to step up to a rather challenging task. They have no true powers.

This is not an oligarchy.

[...]

Please have enough sense to realize that unless you belong, you don't belong.

I hope you can see the irony there :lipssealed:

I'm not sure if I'm completely missing your point or you're completely missing mine. Just so we're very clear:

Step #1: Join the server

Step #2: Have an opinion about how its run

I appreciate that you are trying to help us see what will attract new players and what won't, but we've been here since December and we've had countless people tell us exactly why they won't join.

This is not a recruitment thread. This is an outlaws thread. Do you think most people who read the "disputes" section of EL would start playing after reading only that?

The only way to judge this server and the way the community acts to come over here and play. People who read forum posts regularly should better than to judge the game by just that.

OK new player comes in lvl's and you can lvl fast in the game if you want to. waits for invasions so he can go kill people that are in a short area. He goes and kills them and does that over and over and over now all the lower level players quit. Leaving with only about 5 players.

Wait.. What? You're taking what I said entirely out of context, and twisting it to fit your argument.

I never said nor implied that you should have no rules at all. What I SAID is that you shouldn't have this group of players that think they're freaking kings enforce whatever rules they see fit, and then place bullshit punishments for doing whatt he sevrer was intended for: PKING. Don't you remember the name of your own damn server?

Maybe you should think this through, and think for the better of the server, rather than placing yourself in a position of power. I can almost guarantee that this stupid idea will put many people off the server. How are community rules enforced on the main server? Did you ever think about doing ti that way? We don't make people do retarded punishments like banning them from being traded with and threatening people who trade with them, if they kill a pvper. We ostracize them, and put them on our PK lists.

this is why I am saying if you acutaly new what happened from the beginning you would understand more. there are very few of us left that played from the beginning.

some of the reasons were once alot of the people who loved pk but hated the constant, swearing and name calling left, than those who were doing it left becasue now they had hardly anyone to pk. i

IN the beginning. It was like giving a 5th a list of racist comments and swear words and telling him to go out in the center of town and use everyone over and over and over.

that doesn't have anything to do with what I was saying, anyways. You've all established that the PK server is a nice place to play now (As in, no constant swearing/flaming/racism/etc), and it was working fine apparently, until one incident of someone pking people in a invasion. Well, PK him back! Don't make up bullshit punishments. And yes, I'm repeating myself, because I feel this needs emphasis.

This is not a recruitment thread. This is an outlaws thread. Do you think most people who read the "disputes" section of EL would start playing after reading only that?

Oh, I sincerely apologize. There must be something wrong with my eyes, I don't see that this thread is entitled "Disputes," all I see is four people running around acting like the freaking mafia.

Edited by Eternity

Wait.. What? You're taking what I said entirely out of context, and twisting it to fit your argument.

I never said nor implied that you should have no rules at all. What I SAID is that you shouldn't have this group of players that think they're freaking kings enforce whatever rules they see fit, and then place bullshit punishments for doing whatt he sevrer was intended for: PKING. Don't you remember the name of your own damn server?

Maybe you should think this through, and think for the better of the server, rather than placing yourself in a position of power. I can almost guarantee that this stupid idea will put many people off the server. How are community rules enforced on the main server? Did you ever think about doing ti that way? We don't make people do retarded punishments like banning them from being traded with and threatening people who trade with them, if they kill a pvper. We ostracize them, and put them on our PK lists.

that doesn't have anything to do with what I was saying, anyways. You've all established that the PK server is a nice place to play now (As in, no constant swearing/flaming/racism/etc), and it was working fine apparently, until one incident of someone pking people in a invasion. Well, PK him back! Don't make up bullshit punishments. And yes, I'm repeating myself, because I feel this needs emphasis.

I understand your argument here and concur. this is actually the first person and only person who has broken our rules. this is the 2nd time. 1st time he said he did not know the rule. HE was told the rule and nothing more.

2nd time he said he never changed the password from when he purchased the char and the original owner must have done it. OK very light sentence to pay the people that he broke the rule a monetary amount of gc. no way of enforcing this other than to constantly pk herass that person for a week. we would rather not do that.

I don't understand you are creating a big issue of this but you are not supplying any ideas of what to do as a community to fix these issues.

Yes most people look to the 4 of us in the community now for disputes. mainly as has been said we are just and we are strong fighters.

THe only thing we can do is not trade them and pk them any chance we can the rest is up to the person who has been found guilty.

BTW I talked with the community and with The offender before handing down my judgement on the issue at hand. I took into account what he had said and his past history.

I don't understand you are creating a big issue of this but you are not supplying any ideas of what to do as a community to fix these issues.

Yes most people look to the 4 of us in the community now for disputes. mainly as has been said we are just and we are strong fighters.

I'm supply plenty of ideas, go back and read my post if you must.

I'll spell it out for you: We don't make them pay GC on the main server. We let the players decide if they want to personally punish the person or not, and we sure as hell don't punish people for trading with an outlaw.

[Lonewolfe @ 1]: if anyone has an issue with my post please let me know

[spyridonas @ 1]: issue with your post? well maybe I ll post my opinion

[PM from Lonewolfe: what is your concern]

well that exactly was my concern

Posting a list of "community rules" "judges" "punishments" would lead to an endless discussion.

I expected more like those in old "outlaws" section , with the same repeated arguments -opinions

MrHide invasions with the conditions in PK server (number of players-levels and ofcourse the way MrHide makes them)

are great for everyone participating, and that is why we want to keep them coming

The best way for someone to understand why we agree (not enforced by anyone)to team against the monsters

instead of taking the chance to PK , is to let him/her actually participate in some of them

be a part of our small "community" (and don't think or imagine how it is or how it was)

But anyway whoever believes that "PK is PK" and that none can force him to follow any rules other than his own,

is absolutely right.

Trade embargo in PK server is harder punishment than "PK him back"

Do you think for example there are hundreds of crafters to sell you diss rings to save your life?

I'm supply plenty of ideas, go back and read my post if you must.

I'll spell it out for you: We don't make them pay GC on the main server. We let the players decide if they want to personally punish the person or not, and we sure as hell don't punish people for trading with an outlaw.

I also understand that but you can't compare main to PK. why there are no Game rules other than using macros. our amount of pk maps is almost exact opposite as mains.

their are not enough people on here yet that can keep a person constantly in the underworld maybe in the future when there are 100+ people playing on the pk server that would be capable.

However usually when a person is found guilty of a crime they pay a penalty and they do time in however you want to call it.

also look at main when a game rule is broken alot of time it leads to payment in gc to radu and or loss of exp. you don't have that here.