Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal

Getting started with Linux

I bought a new computer for EL around January, and windows Vista uses 600-800mb of ram right off of boot-up. (Including some msconfig>start up fixes, I have about half of what came with the computer running)

I was talking with some people in-game and want to get started up on Ubuntu, but I have no where to look for help. I have gone to their wiki, and help forum, but I can't get past boot up. It looks like a command prompt, but I don't know what to do.

Any help getting all started up would be massively appreciated. :icon13:

-Saint

System Specs:

HP Pavilion dv6605us

2495mb of RAM

AMD Athlon x2 @ 1.8GHz

32 bit Windows Vista Home Basic

Nvidia GeForce 7150M/nForce 630m (Up to 1055mb graphics memory)

Edited by Saint

When you have downloaded ubuntu and copy the image onto a dvd, insert dvd and bootfrom that device. You should be able to just press enter, or type setup and press enter and the install should begin. You may have to pass some scsi information, but I doubt it. Not having a copy of ubuntu infront of me I cant see it exactly, but at command promt, just press enter and i think it should start setup program. I mostly use Kubuntu (a kde front end Ubuntu) But I cant see them being much different. Hopefully someone that has installed more recently can clarify

Some other options at command prompt could be recover and install ...you should try the install option. If you already have the dvd installed and it comes to a prompt. Login...... login and password then type startx (enter) to get the xserver (graphical windows stuff) to start

Edited by Wizzy

Ok, writing you now from my linux ubuntu.

I have have 1 problem, my wireless LAN card isn't working. :icon13:

Its a BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI, I think thats it. It reads it in "hardware testing" but I can't find it when trying to connect to my network.

I will try to find some drivers for my card.

I am supposed to do this:

http://invaleed.wordpress.com/2007/11/20/i...pci-ubuntu-710/

I don't speek geek ;/

Edited by Saint

ok, I dont promise that I read it all, but you should be able to open a xterm eterm or gnometerm and (a terminal emu) and copy and paste those commands to get it to work.........I would suggest reading up a little about BASH and get familure with the unix type of terminal... This aint DOS baby,, this is slightly different.

Try google BASH

then for a nice editor try google vi (give yourself a day or two to figure out the commands)

And Saint! Welcome to a great world of commputing where you the user has more control!!! I can not help much on a forum, I would suggest looking up a local LUG (linux User Group) and see if you can recurit some help and join a group of like minded folks

Great, Saint. :)

I recently installed and am using Ubuntu 8.04 on both a laptop and a desktop... So if you need any help (With stuff that isn't super advanced) give me a PM on EL, Google talk, AIM, or MSN. Lol :P (If not EL, I'll send you my address)

Edited by LIGHTspeed