Eternal Lands Official Forums
bluap

Warn about unknown book

I've just committed a minor patch to warn the user if they are reading a book, not yet known by the client. Hopefully, this will avoid the regular forum postings asking why a new book is not showing up in the client. The unknown book is detected by your_info.researching being >= the total number of books known, but less that the size of the books array.

For the console message, the client checks your_info.researching when the stats are updated. The message will only be shown once per session. For the knowledge window, the check is done in the window drawing routine. The added bonus here is that the "research so far" shows up in the window now.

These are the current defaults for the two messages:

Console: "Researching book not yet known to the client. Don't worry, reading it will count!"

Window: "(Not yet known to client)" where the title should be.

If the powers that be don't like this patch, its easy to remove. Let me know if you just want the strings changed.

I don't know if it's related but the latest books that I read before they were on knowledge list (Arrows & Bolts stuff) does not show up as read on the (updated) knowledge list. I read them before this patch was in CVS iirc.

Oh and thanks for the patch ;)

the latest books that I read before they were on knowledge list (Arrows & Bolts stuff) does not show up as read on the (updated) knowledge list.

I've experienced the same both with the official 1.6.0 client and the 1.7.0 PreRC.