Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Sky client test 5

Haven't said it before, but thank you Schumrk for you incredible work with the skybox :) It's awesome.

LoL, you are welcome Vaneyl ;) and thanks for the compliment. :) (maybe one day you'll not make a typo on my name :) )

You can also thank Emajekral who is the original author of the skybox code and Roja that selected the awesome colors that you can all see. :happy:

:blush: I promise I will do my best. I already learnt Gerbildart (hopefully) I'm sure I will learn Schmurk (!). See you in game :)

On my laptop running Vista I found that if it's daytime the water looks very nice . . .

until I turn on shadows. With shadows turned on, the water becomes black with white speckles.

Do you have this everywhere? interiors/exteriors?

Can you take a screenshot please?

This is exterior only - I just checked in the DP coal cave which I am pretty sure is an interior map and the water looked good with reflections on and shadows on during the day.

Here are some screenshots to illustrate what I am seeing:

shadows + reflections no shadows + reflections shadows + no reflections shadows + reflections + no sky

When I went to the test server to get screenshots yesterday the problem didn't occur even if I changed the options to match the ones on the main server (the Toggle Frame Buffer Support option was different for main and for test). Using this clue I tried opening the client with different settings for frame buffer support. I found that on my system if I open the client with Frame Buffer Support checked I get this problem. If I open the client with Frame Buffer Support unchecked I do not get this problem even if I change the setting while the client is runing.

In summary I am leaving Toggle Frame Buffer Support unchecked. I can now turn on Shadows and Show Reflections and everything looks good.

Hmmmm... all work fine, but just notice that i dont have the waves on the water it looks only as a mirror , u cabn it on my sky_3 screeens:

Sky0061d360_thumb.jpg

Sky005591d6_thumb.jpg

on sky 5 it show the same and on the main client too? maybe its nothing big, but only notice it :)

P.S. Sorry i forgot to say:

water shader Quality still at 0 and I cant change it :happy:

Edited by Cyberwulf

When I went to the test server to get screenshots yesterday the problem didn't occur even if I changed the options to match the ones on the main server (the Toggle Frame Buffer Support option was different for main and for test). Using this clue I tried opening the client with different settings for frame buffer support. I found that on my system if I open the client with Frame Buffer Support checked I get this problem. If I open the client with Frame Buffer Support unchecked I do not get this problem even if I change the setting while the client is runing.

Hmmm...

Disabling the frame buffer has the same effect than turning the water shaders to 0 so it's quite normal that it works. However, I tried to turn the frame buffer off while the client was running and I had the same black water. I'm not an expert in frame buffers and I didn't write this part of the code but there's maybe a conflict between the frame buffer used for reflections and the one used for shadows. So when you enable the shadows, the reflections are screwed up.

I'll try to investigate on that and see if it can be detected but for now, don't use water shaders and shadows at the same time. BTW, do you have any OpenGL errors in your error log?

One more thing, Molime and you seem to have a similar video card so it's maybe a problem related to these cards or their drivers. If you could test EL on linux on the same machine and see the result, it would be great. ;)

There is not much need to investigate, we discussed already that the shadows should not be enabled without a frame buffer.

It causes issues, and they look like crap anyway. Plus, if your card doesn;t support a frame buffer, do you really want shadows, especially with the sky client?

first time i run the sky_05 it was fine, logged out... next hour, it's not running, tried 4-5 times still doesn't load, so i reboot, run again and it's ok... next day not loading again, so i deleted the whole folder, installed 1.6.0 then sky_05... low FPS, always "resync with the server"

those days it doesn't run, i saw these on chat logs:

12:25:23] Not using vertex program for actor animation.

[12:25:23] Error opening mines configuration file: mines.xml

[12:25:23] Error opening sound configuration file

instead of ->Hi, welcome....

is it a bug or is it with my system?

and that too -> SPECIAL_EFFECT_unknown:19

Video card: GeForce 7100 GS/PCI/SSE2

Vendor ID: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL Version: 2.1.2

just wanted to say, that the sky client really roxx! thx alot for the good work ;)

i didnt find any errors that were not already mentioned in this thread.

regards

Gilrain

Haven't said it before, but thank you Schumrk for you incredible work with the skybox :pickaxe: It's awesome.

Amen, its looks awesome...I sat in the c1 Underworld for about 10 minutes looking at it p

Haven't said it before, but thank you Schumrk for you incredible work with the skybox :) It's awesome.

LoL, you are welcome Vaneyl :pickaxe: and thanks for the compliment. :) (maybe one day you'll not make a typo on my name ;) )

You can also thank Emajekral who is the original author of the skybox code and Roja that selected the awesome colors that you can all see. :pickaxe:

:pickaxe: I promise I will do my best. I already learnt Gerbildart (hopefully) I'm sure I will learn Schmurk (!). See you in game :)

Always a bit too late, he sliced the 'dart' off his name ;p

Not sure if this is the right thread.

I noticed a sign dropping a shadow while walking in Idaloran.

hajabaabk.jpg

EDIT: Every line is nice and green when I start EL except these two:

Couldn't find the GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc extension, not using it...

Couldn't find the GL_EXT_texture_compression_latc extension, not using it...

<3

Tvinn

Edited by Tvinn

All seems to be good but I found a little thing while harvesting iron.

It wrote: SPECIAL_EFFECT_unknown:19

Here is a little pic: effect.jpg

#edit: Ah yes, forgot to mention, it appeared again when I broke my pickaxe, in the picture above it appeared when qui's pickaxe had broke

Same here lol: SPECIAL_EFFECT_unknown:19

Same effect here. I am getting this error too. When pickaxes break, this message appears:

SPECIAL_EFFECT_unknown:19

SPECIAL_EFFECT_unknown is guarded by #ifdef DEBUG, is sky5 compiled with DEBUG?

Anyways, that only means there is a new server message the client doesn't understand server message the client doesn't handle yet.

Does anybody have a nice idea for a "harvest tool got destroyed" effect?

maybe something like a pickaxe form that drops down to the floor? Just like a black wave of particles falling down from pickaxe height.

maybe something like a pickaxe form that drops down to the floor? Just like a black wave of particles falling down from pickaxe height.

This server message seems to come when any harvest tool breaks, this includes gloves and saws.

If something breaks it can give off sort of a mini-explosion..something that looks like stuff breaking into pieces and dust particles in your hand. Probably black/darkgray/brown in color would work.

If something breaks it can give off sort of a mini-explosion..something that looks like stuff breaking into pieces and dust particles in your hand. Probably black/darkgray/brown in color would work.

My problem is: one message for single and double handed tools.

And I can't detect the tool the player used because the order of the network messages is not guaranteed to be effect then tool break.

(Well, I could do nasty stuff like storing the last used tool in the actor or parsing the chat log, but that's not how I want to do it)

not sure if this is a sky5 thing or not but I've never had it happen before... not that I've gotten many alch lvls recently either ;~)

~bug

67alchqa1.jpg

not sure if this is a sky5 thing or not but I've never had it happen before... not that I've gotten many alch lvls recently either ;~)

~bug

67alchqa1.jpg

Fixed.

Ive installed the sky_client 1 and later the sky_client 5

i got this purple message:

SPECIAL_EFFECT_unknown:19

I like to say ty for this patch

Yes theres a frame rate drop,

But my system no longer crashes.

Also the patchy character and creature issue was fixed by turning the option of

#use_animation_program= 0

Ty very much for both and keep up the good work

I like to say ty for this patch

Yes theres a frame rate drop,

But my system no longer crashes.

Also the patchy character and creature issue was fixed by turning the option of

#use_animation_program= 0

Ty very much for both and keep up the good work

You'd be better off by turning the fog off and keeping the animation program on.

The animation programs don't work on some ATI cards (most ATI cards I'd say).

I totally disagree.

It works well with MOST of the ATI cards, even with an Ati 9600 Mobility that I have in a 4 years old laptop.

The only issue with animation program I've spotted on my GF8600 happens while changing resolution. Actors disappear. However, after restarting client they are back. Beside it, whole the client works perfectly for me.