Eternal Lands Official Forums
bkc56

Are you compelled to post your vote in polls?

Responding to polls  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you vote AND post to polls?

• Yes - and I'll post about it below.
    • No - and that's the last I'll say about it.
    • I don't do polls (well, except for this one).

I notice on polls in these forums that many people feel they must also post a reply, even if it's to only say how they voted. I find this very interesting, although a little perplexing. Realizing this poll may be invalid due to the number of "joke" votes or posts, I still though it might be enlightening.

(And yes, I know there's a "Disallow replies and only allow poll votes?" box that one can check, but they you loose the valid replies that contain useful information.)

I post to let others know why I voted the way I did.

4th. option for me. I usually vote and post from time to time, depending on if i have something additional to say :whistle:

Piper

I voted No. :whistle:

(and no, it's not a joke vote..)

;)

I always vote if it applies to me.

Also post a comment to let *admins/mods know why I voted like I did, if needed.

<3

Tvinn

*EDIT: thought it was Ent's post

Edited by Tvinn

I voted No, but... here I am posting :whistle:

And the reason is, typically I only vote in polls, but sometimes I post as well. But when I do post, its only to further explain my vote or offer my opinion on the subject... whatever. Like in the case of this thread, I only post if I have more to say than can be covered in the poll ;)

I don't just post what I voted, post why. No point in just posting "I voted for #2", makes it seem like you are soo important and cool that people will follow you and vote the same without explanation.

Maybe this thread was just a test to see who would reply with what they voted, and would answer the question itself :whistle:

Edited by Atlantis

I frequently have to do polls at work (Ok, school. It's not like it's a secret I'm a teacher), and I always ask kids to explain their reasons. Generally when I ask kids for a survey, I find I miss some perspective, and since the purpose is to gain perspective, written explanations fill in the blanks. In the end, what my kids write in the comments section generally weighs more heavily on me than just the strict stats.

No point in just posting "I voted for #2", makes it seem like you are soo important and cool that people will follow you and vote the same without explanation.
That's actually what prompted this poll. I see far to many posts of the "I voted X" form and I don't understand why people bother.

No point in just posting "I voted for #2", makes it seem like you are soo important and cool that people will follow you and vote the same without explanation.
That's actually what prompted this poll. I see far to many posts of the "I voted X" form and I don't understand why people bother.

I think its a sad strategy some people use to up their post count :wub:

Edited by Enly

4th. option for me. I usually vote and post from time to time, depending on if i have something additional to say :D

Piper

That about sums it up for me.... oh and yeah , also if someone has posted something beforehand out of their backside :wub:

I voted no, but I made an exception in this case :wub:

This is not a joke vote - I usually don't feel the need to argue over stuff on internet forums/chats. I long ago lost the urge to try and talk sense into people.

Voted no, but I'm kind of inbetween yes and no...

Votes are usually made to get opinions from people and come up with a decision in the end about a subject. That's why I find it appropriate to put a message about what my opinion is for other people to read and use to form an opinion of their own. I also like to read others opinion before voting in a poll to help me find arguments to support my decision. That is the way debate works, isn't it?

Another fact is that I usually end up finding the polls in the forum so late that other people have already stated the opinion and arguments that I share with them in their posts and then I don't find it necessary to post just to repeat what's already said... :rolleyes:

//Zilvador

I vote almost in every poll. I post in ones I think my vote may require some explanation.

I didn't vote as I'd need a 4th option - 'sometimes'. I only post if my vote requires some additional explanation, I have some new ideas or there is no option in the poll which expresses my oppinion right.

I vote almost in every poll. I post in ones I think my vote may require some explanation.

*nods* same here.

I vote and post what I voted, unless it's a topic about PK or things like that... It has to be interesting :rolleyes:

i mainly post what i vote for, just because i dont want ppl to think i dont have a real reason for it, besides writing it

may open a disscussion that could be important for the reason of the poll. well just my 2 cents...

I usually (at least on this board) rarely post when i vote.

Usually because.. like others.. i would rather not be 'shot down in flames' for my thoughts and ideas.

They are after all mine... so i'm not sure why others should try and change them for me :D

That probably makes me a bit of a coward...... but hey i can live with that :rolleyes:

spirited

I didn't vote as I'd need a 4th option - 'sometimes'. I only post if my vote requires some additional explanation, I have some new ideas or there is no option in the poll which expresses my oppinion right.

As do I :rolleyes: