Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kagachaz

Harvest Limit? Gone? Or Improved?

I dunno about u guys but i think 200 would be a better limit than 120.....

Cause everytime i want to harvest to gain exp i have to wait for da nexy hour. :evil:

And well, i think da harvest limit should be improved by adding more than 120 an hour. I think 200 would be fine.

I like the harvest limit myself, but I don't like you have to be online to have it reset. I'd also like to see that if you've been gone more then an hour that it resets when you log in. That way if you've hit your limit and log out for the night, you don't have to worry inthe morning about possibly waiting almost an hour to get it back.

the way it is now leads to a kinda burst in harvesting. how about instead when you hit the limit is slowly goes back after some time of nonharvesting but the moment you start to harvest again it starts from where it is now and regrows...

you harvest until the limit hit, then does not harvest for say 5 min, then the systems starts decreaseing the value by maybe 1 every minute or maybe 30 seconds to make it fit more to the current timetable. the second you starts to harvest again it begins to climb from the current value. this way you dont get the very binary curve that the old system have but still the ones that wait or do other stuff will be able to harvest more in terms of exp at one go...

this way one can say harvest a load of something, go sell it. go hunt some mosnters and then come back and start harvest again and you will get exp when you start to harvest.

it would allso be nice to have a warning about when you hit the limit. alltho watching the exp info isnt that hard :(

I just hate the harvesting limit, and my suggestion is: Remove it! But well, then you will see there are dam much autominers active, but i have some other solutions:

1. Detect the times that the person clicks. If that times are exactly (milliseconds) the same for a minute, kick the person (i know some other mmorpgs using this system, and it is simply impossible to use an autominer there)

2. Ask at random times if the person is still there, and let him verify it (click on an icon or something)

3. When the limit is reached, display a random code, which the player must type over (encrypt it to let autominer stay off the code). When the code is typed over correctly, the player can harvest another load of 120 (or more :) )

Just see what you can make of this!

the only way the timer can work is if its in the client as you can get a small timeshift if its serverside and your lagging. and as the client is opensource it cant be hidden.

2 and 3 have been talked about but put aside.

"There are more things to do in EL than harvesting..."

But harvesting is my favourite skill... [sniff!]

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH!!!

Cmon guys, there must be a way to let me harvest as much as i want! Mmmfff...

It's just that i make almost all my money by harvesting stuff, cuz manufacturing trains to slow, with combat i die to much :shock: for alchemy u need to harvest the ruby and sulfur or buy them (and i hate buying), potion, well, i make much potions but it takes to much walking to sell them to the potion lady... Let's just say: harvesting is my primary money-making skill, but with that limit i can't use it as much as i want... Dam, why do i always want to have more... :lol:

Anyway, why should there be a protection for autominers? I mean, if sum guy wants to use an autominer then he can, but it will take away lots of the fun of the game for that person. U just miss the feeling of doing it all urself, I tried using autominers in other mmorpg's, it just doesnt give a good feeling, so I stopped with it. But if u still want a security system, maybe u can make it so that if the mouse stays on the same position for a minute or two (give a warning after 45 seconds) the player is kicked. But then u get autominers with multiple position support. The only thing I can think of then is a cylus-detector which tries to see a pattern in the movings and clicks...

If u dont wanna read all the text above then read only this:

Plz remove the limit or use a non-timed protection!

I don't like the numeric limit because it seems arbitrary and external. I would rather the experience be self-limiting in some way, but I haven't thought of a way that could be imposed by the server and provide an equivalent limitation.

The only thing I remember seeing in other people's suggestions is the idea of something taking a certain amount of time to do. The server would notify you when your harvesting (or manufacturing or spell cast) operation was complete and you could start another one. Maybe it could work like this:

"harvesting..."

and after a 1 to 10 second delay this would change into:

"harvesting...complete - you got 1 red rose"

or into:

"harvesting...failed"

whereas for magic it could say:

"casting..."

and after a 2 second delay this would change into:

"casting...success"

or

"casting...failed"

or for manufacturing it could say:

"manufacturing..."

and after a 15 second delay this would change into:

"manufacturing...success - you made 1 titanium/steel short sword"

or

"manufacturing...failed"

I like the "idea" of the harvest limit, but not the harvest limit itself. And I don't think it's just about removing autominers either. If there was no limit such as this, then harvesting would be the easiest skill in the game(just click and click and click, you don't even have to buy anything) and everyone would be at like lvl 60. So some kind of limit to harvesting limit is needed, but it doesn't have to be a system like the current one. Personally I like runescape's mining system(it took them several tries to get it right though). For those of you who don't know, theres different pickaxes you can buy in that game, and the type of pickaxe affects how many times your character will strike the rock per click. And it stops macroers and adds a little bit of variety by adding fatigue that you gain while mining(which you must restore by sleeping in a bed or a sleeping bag). Fatigue in that game is basically the same general idea as the harvest limit in this one. Of course, el shouldnt use the same system as rs, but if the harvest limit were more interesting and flexible(I agree with puntif, about the arbitrary and external thing) then it would be better. Like instead of the limit you could use the food level system. instead of just raising the chance to miss if your food level is under 0(which doesnt affect autominers at all), it could be like if its under -15, then you can't harvest at all. It would stop the automining but still preserve the challenge that harvesting currently has. A lot of people would probably bitch about it, but I would prefer it over a static and boring harvest limit any day, and it was just an example.

If there was no limit such as this, then harvesting would be the easiest skill in the game(just click and click and click, you don't even have to buy anything) and everyone would be at like lvl 60.
I totally agree with this!
Like instead of the limit you could use the food level system. instead of just raising the chance to miss if your food level is under 0(which doesnt affect autominers at all), it could be like if its under -15, then you can't harvest at all.
??? And this would make it the easiest skill in the game! Bring 20 fruits and you can boost your harvest skill for two or three hours or so...

Automining -- do you mean auto clicking or macro scripting? Auto clickers are allowed for mining, but you still have to be at your keyboard to drop stuff and eat food. Your example doesn't stop macro scripters (not allowed in this game) either, they just have to program few mouse clicks extra.

@Elune: if harvesting is your primary money-making skill, then there is no problem? The harvesting limit doesn't stop you harvesting, it only stops you from boosting your harvesting exp.

for alchemy u need to harvest the ruby and sulfur
:!: go combine those two (and other...) skills! Mine the ingredients for the essences, and after the exp limit has been reached, go create the essences!

Like I already said, "There are more things to do in EL than harvesting...", go explore EL, go explore what's possible in EL, and you'll like the game much more. If you vary the things you do, you'll hardly notice the exp limit.

strange, i wrote a big post about this and it seems to have gone totaly mis :)

the problem with a food based system is the amount of food one can carry. right now the limit is 300 emu as you can stack them. that means 1500 units of food with bread and i dont want to know how mutch it comes down to with other stuff like cooked meat...

right now you can continue to mine after you have passed the exp limit, you just dont get the exp. this should continue i think. what could happen was that as you got the food into the negative you ended up gaining no exp. and eating food would take time. maybe say 1sec per point given. one could allso have a system that removed one point of food every time you harvested even if it was unsuccessful (to indicate the amount of work needed), or maybe just when you where successful.

now if food was handeld the same way as potions, as in they would not stack, then sooner or later you would have to break up from the mineing, walk to a tavern to get food and then come back to continue mineing. and that was in essence what the limit was for, to take away the ability to stay and mine for ever and gain exp...

there is allso talk about putting in a autominer in the server so that you click ones and as long as you do nothing else it will continue to mine...

It wouldn't have any effect to search for a pattern in the clicks... just make the time between the clicks random and it will (probably) never be revealed that you use an autoclicker... but why bother as long as it is legal?

I like the idea with the cap slowly being regenrated as suggested by Duran... also that would remove some of the lag at the most popular harvest spots when the hour changes. Just make it so that you have a full regenerated cap after an hour and let the cap stay at 120. in this way, the game will stay balanced, but it will be more fun, since you don't have to wait for 1 hour if you just need 10 exp in gaining a lvl, but just ½ minute.

Why not make it so that players starts losing xp if they stay harvesting on the same spot for too long?

That'd most definately discourage macro useage...if a player wants more xp then he must constantly move about to different plants or whatever he/she is harvesting...

Oh..and add on top of that: all harvestable places really needs a limit on them...it's amazing and quite unrealistic in all senses that one can get unlimited amounts of flowers from one single bush...

Guest akuno

well elrune i never move my arrow when i harvest, as i have a trackball mouse and only have to click my arrow never moves i dont wanna be kicked cause i was clicking with a trackball mouse hehe

How about making your havesting limit equal to your load. I think it would be a little better this way because you can improve it. Or maybe have a different skill that improves it like vitality.

Or maybe have a different skill that improves it like vitality.

That sounds like a pretty good idea for one of the uses of instinct to me(whenever it comes out)