Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Sky test 3

1 May 2008

Oh wow! This is totally awesome!

Or was for a minute or two, then I got the weird rainbow of colors again, but so far it hasn't crashed the client but still would be unplayable.

But then crashed the client when leaving Nordcarn storage.

Will lurk and see what comes of it.

2 May 2008

Tried it again, didn't get any screenshots because as soon as I started moving the client crashed. What I saw before it crashed was lovely, it is a shame I cannot keep it working.

Rainbow effect is same as pictures posted in the Test2 version, streaky rainbow lines on various planes merging and making it impossible to see anything else.

Edited by Eowi

Good job! this looks very nice and works very good but when i set max view distance to 200 i cant see as much as i could with last sky client

The thing I just reported in the 2nd test topic is still here. Not that big of a deal though, it's still playable and all :D

Not sure if what I'm experiencing is the known 'akward water' thing mentioned by Roja, but during day time, with water shader quality set to 2, I see water just black.

During night it looks ok, and I see water and reflections and all (except the new effects) during day as well when I set the water shader quality to 0.

Btw, having the water shader quality at 2 and turning reflections off gives color back as well, it just doesn't look nice (plain blue)

Video card: ATI Radeon X1250

Vendor ID: ATI Technologies Inc.

OpenGL Version: 2.1.7276 Release

ill try to show you the difference, this is sky client 2

elscreen019-1.png

this is sky client 3

elscreen018.png

as you can see some of the objects at the back are missing

Edited by furio

awwww, i just watch the sunset in willowvine forest! it is so beautiful!

:D

for me it works fine! but it is the first time i tried the sky client so i cant compare to the former clients!

I have Vista, so I wonder if that is causing compatibility issues. :D

I'm in the WS to PL cave and the first time I logged on, I could walk around the cave. The water looks beautiful. When I tried to exit to PL the client crashed. I logged back in to get a screenshot. My player is in PL and the client crashes the second the game changes from black, preventing said screenshot.

I think someone compiled with the SIMPLE_LOD option... :D

Yep :P Can that be uncommented in the make file since we're not really using it anymore?

Ok guys I uploaded a new client file to fix some of the bugs that shouldn't be bugs.

So if you downloaded the client before... 8:30am EST(GMT -5) time today, you can redownload it here:

http://www.eternal-lands.com/el_sky_test_3.zip

Save & Unzip this into your EL directory then double click to run the el_sky03.exe file.

Well that is just an .exe file, so you can run that whenever as long as it doesn't give you problems.

However, this #3 is a test after #2, so obviously #3 is more recent than #2 so you should be using & test #3...not #2.

Just a quick question, does the no_cluster.exe in the sky2 thread that radu released work with this 3rd release?

This client uses clusters but the previous bugs should have been fixed. If you are still experiencing crashes that you didn't have with the no cluster client from the previous test, please tell us.

I installed test 2, and ran it wow oh wow!

elscreen017.png

elscreen018.png

Is there a way to change the cload texture? it looks a little too uniform.

And i have to say, im afraid i will fall off the island! smile

Very nice job to everyone for all thier hard work and devotion.

I am downloading test 3 now. Can hardly wait....

yipes, have 3 installed and the lag is so bad i can barely walk to anyplace...but after testing without sky I am having the same exp. I dont know why I have never lagged this badly before....

Edited by Rayna

Please only TEST And POST about the test#3 here! Test #2 is already done and over with, the thread is closed.

(of course you can say something like such and such worked on test2 but not on test3)

The cloud texture has different clouds in it, it may take a while for it to cycle through the texture though as the clouds move slowly.

Please only TEST And POST about the test#3 here! Test #2 is already done and over with, the thread is closed.

(of course you can say something like such and such worked on test2 but not on test3)

The cloud texture has different clouds in it, it may take a while for it to cycle through the texture though as the clouds move slowly.

lol, well i didnt know about test 3 until i tried to post in test 2, and then went looking for a place to post my comment.

So i guess I cant install a diff texture to use? one that doesnt have the clouds in rows like that? heck oh dear.

I noticed that it got dark at about 3:28, 29 and then it got much brighter at 3:30, like it was daylight again?

I noticed that the horizon looks very thick or solid white.

My lag is a little better after restarting machine i had never lagged down so low i couldnt walk, now fps is about 38 so thats grand.

After unzipping the files to my Eternal Lands folder and trying to run the executable, I get this error message: This application has failed to start because SDL-image.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. Then the client closes.

This happened with the last zip file, am I doing something wrong?

there is a chance it created a new folder in the EL folder so the .exe is sitting all by itself in that folder. Drag it out to the topmost El folder where the other .exe are and then click it and it will run for you.

I noticed that the horizon looks very thick or solid white.

Fog should be turned on with the sky client.

Similar to the no_clusters version, I have not been able to crash this client yet. I noticed a negative effect on FPS in this version however, from an average of 30-35 to an average of 10-13 fps. Also, I should mention that the "new selection" issue still exists in that i have to turn it off to enter certain areas and to choose bags accurately, then turn it back on to improve FPS.

Crashed as soon as I logged in. It did this for the 2nd sky test also. This is all I see in my error logs:

Log started at 2008-05-02 14:08:04 localtime (Pacific Daylight Time)

[14:08:04] Error: Server profile not found in servers.lst for server: Lands\el_sky03.exe". Failover to server: main.

[14:08:04] Using the server profile: main

[14:08:06] Error opening sound configuration file

[14:08:15] Error: Can't open file "quest.log"

[14:08:15] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst

[14:08:15] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[14:08:15] Error: Can't open file "alias.ini"

[14:08:17] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst

[14:08:17] * server www.eternal-lands.com filename http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst

[14:08:17] Downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst from www.eternal-lands.com

[14:08:18] Finished downloading http://www.eternal-lands.com/updates160/files.lst

[14:08:18] Failed to download (files.lst) 3 times. Giving up.

I just tried the most recent CVS and noticed that clouds, sun, moon and stars are not shown on my i915GM.

But actually this is good news because some time ago enabling the sky did cause a crash in the Intel OpenGL drivers and now it does not. Nice work on fixing this.

BTW: the NV Quadro FX shows no problems in FPV at all.

Ok...was having problems with sky2....so tried sky2no-clusters....ran for a looong time... but then un-expected crash...runtime error...send to microsoft? lol

Sky3 seems to be running fine so far....beautiful sky images... saw a really cool sunset!!!....crossing fingers....this is all on my Laptop.

EDIT:

Ok, running smooth for 8+ hrs now...but huge drop in fps. Sky is a very interesting effect... not sure if its worth the FPS loss.

FPS dropped down to 5-12 fps... too jittery to play.

Edit Edit:

Could chopping the Harvest Effect down help a little... I don't know if you can see.. but harvest effect mist travels all the way up to top of screen...

1775122fc0fe2c6d862999d9743ce990d2c6b9c.jpg

Also, is it just me, or has the game become a lot darker?

Edited by JimP