Tutorial quest poll

Tutorial quests  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Did you do the tutorial?

• Yes, started and finished it.
    • Only started.
    • No, I didn't bother.
  2. 2. What did you think about it?

• It was great, informative, and reasonably easy.
    • It was OK..
    • Teh sukc!
    • N/A (didn't take it)
  3. 3. Which part was the hardest?

• Flowers
    • Rabbits
    • Taverns
    • All parts were OK
    • N/A

I am thinking of redesigning some portions of the tutorial quest, and I want to get some feedback ONLY from the players that completed the quests. However, if you did not take the tutorial, please vote accordingly.

It would be great if some little tutorials help in the basic things (for example making 1 fire essence, getting logs and making fire on ip etc.).

I got an idea just the other day when helping people on IP.

Include cooking raw meat in the tourial =)

For that you need to mix your first FE, or maby more appropriate buying at magic shop.

Did the quests and got my rewards, then died and lost them.

I didn't even understand you can lose items at the time, because I didn't realise I had ever died before (at low overall levels you just go to beam). Yes the tutorial npc does say something about fighting an dying, but even though I read everything there was a lot to take in at once.

I completed the quest when I was relatively new in the game. It was very easy to complete even though I was new.

Nevertheless, making it more informative and adding more items to the quest would be nice especially if the items would teach some more basic skills.

Edited by hussam

I completed the quest, and it was very easy. maybe the tutorial can offer a few more quest for different skills.

It covers the basics, however, for a new player, being sent to White Stone to visit the taverns turned out to be deadly. I did not understand the night vs day, and how it effected the gargoyles. For me that was the hardest part to complete. Took me a couple of tries before I made it.

cant say i had any problems with the quest. only thing..

just that the same happened to me like to extrapolation oO but thats maybe just because im too

lazy to read

I had some difficulty with the Tutorial NPC quest. I was "born" during the evening (gargoyles were awake) AND it was a No Drop Day!

Needless to say, it took me several hours to complete the quest.

On another note, the Tutorial NPC states that there are five types of flowers on IP, I have located a sixth that is not asked for during the quest; white asiatic lily.

Is there the possibility of doing a check on those that wish to leave the island via boat, a warning perhaps that states something to the effect of "if adventurer is new to game (perhaps check by how long they've played), then warn them of the dangers of gargoyles in Whitestone when they attempt to board the boat at night." Something simple like "Gargoyles roam Whitestone freely at night, are you sure you want to go now?"

Which part was the hardest?
Flowers 	[ 13 ] 	** [22.41%]
Rabbits 	[ 6 ] 	** [10.34%]
Taverns 	[ 14 ] 	** [24.14%]
All parts were OK 	[ 15 ] 	** [25.86%]
N/A 	[ 10 ] 	** [17.24%]

I wont say hard, more like boring, annoying.

Flowers arent that funny, a player should get the idea of the coords after going to 1-2 places, not 4 or 5 IMO.

Rabbits/beavers are hard, at least when you havent killed one before. but at least you get some xp, so i would call it hard, but funny at least. Only problem is: you cant complete this tutorial on a NDD right now, which could be really annoying for new players. Suggestion: NDD doesnt affect Isla Prima.

Taverns, well, its just too much of them, and send a newbie at night all accross the whitestone map, and s/he will probably end as a garg snack. And, of course, everybody forgets the 2nd tavern in WSC :blink:

Maybe reduce it to the tavern on Isla Prima and the one in Lakeside, maybe even Grahms village. So newbies learn how to enter a house, to go to another map.

Well, my thoughts about how to modify the existing newbie tutorial, but maybe someone has a completely different idea, which is better than the existing quest.

Piper

Some of the changes I am making:

1. Only ONE flower of any kind will be required

2. Only one tavern (lakeside).

3. In the future, add more stuff, such as the fire making and FEs.

Both my brother and I took it when we were new to the game.

He had more trouble with it than I did(That's normal. Lol), but if I recall correctly, the Tavern part was the most confusing in both our cases.

Edited by LIGHTspeed

I was new to on line game playing and found my first week to be almost unbearable to learn... heck I never noticed the sever messages as they scrolled off the screen before seeing them. I recall asking help, 'well how would i know that"

And they said 'because it tells you that", short story, I learned that more that 'channels' could be clicked it the top bar. lol.

I was enthralled at looking at the view, the buildings, the ppl, the water, everything. I was alway lost, lol.

I found quest npc before i should and that disallowed me from doing one, but they said it didn't give anything so never mind it.

Even today those rabbits are hard to clobber. I found that the toughest to complete.

I'm glad you are changing the flower and tavern quest.

I too agree more small training quests would be welcomed. Many new players run all over ip trying to find/buy armor. Perhaps a quest to purchase some from a bot would help?

Of course these people were the same that hadn't done the tutorial too.

Perhaps one quest could be an answer found only in the help section of the BB (big book). To involve them more in its use?

I call it the BB because i find some ppl are put off by the term help, or encyclopedia, yet BB they laugh at and start reading it.

I realize the info regarding how to start playing is listed when the game starts. I just glanced at it and noted it was loading the game etc and didn't read the end. My fault/problem I know. But guess others may do the same.

I think getting eaten by a garg is ok because it gives you a taste of what may happen, and perhaps will help a player read more documents and learn more about the help available for them.

Although, NDD would be a real pain, lol i never thought of that even happening until I read the posts above.

In all cases, I was grateful for the help channel, and the encyclopedia, and the Tutorial npc.

I did the tutorial quests with my son when we were both checking out the game: him for the "fun" aspect and me for the safety aspect - EL being an online game, etc...

Anyway, while we were doing the flowers, it was time to pick the Tiger Lilies. I clicked on the flower and instantly a message popped up that I had found a bag of gold! We were both stunned: "Did you see a bag of gold there?" "No!" "What should we do? Who's is it? Should we keep it?" "I guess. No way to tell who it belongs to..."

So, as a suggestion, to help new players avoid costly psychological counseling (joking), perhaps with the harvest section of the new tutorials, a simple message that mother nature could punish or reward you for harvesting.

Phil...

Edited by PhilDaBurn

Radu Good job on redesigning this. I think it is a great idea.

It was informative but very boring but I did it on the PK server just to get the free gear.

I like the idea of a multi quest tutorial.

IE

Tavern quest: you goto the tavern and come back the tutorial (great I know how to travel now) gives you a leather helm. ( YOu wonder what do I need this for)

Flower quest: The tutorial NPC sends you out to get a flower, you go get that flower. (OK now I know how to harvest). He gives you a iron sword. (WTH do I need this for)

FIght Quest: Next Quest go kill me a bunny and bring me his fur. (OH cool I bet the sword and leather helm will help) you go kill the bunny. (you now know how to kill) NPC gives you a set of leather gloves, (hmm wonder what the gloves are for)

ALCHEMY Quest: HE tells you to make him 1 fire essence. He tells you where to find how to make a FE. (oh so I need to gloves to harvest suflur great). You do this and bring it back to him.

Cooking quest: you need 1 fe, 1 branch or wood, and 1 raw meat. Please goto the fire and make me 1 cooked meat, I am hungry. so you go harvest a branch or wood. you goto the fire you use the fe on the fire pit to light it and cook 1 raw meat into 1 cooked meat.

Quest completion: YOu have completed all my quests. he gives you "items" and states to go forth and prosper.

not sure if I should post this here or in suggestions but:-

is it possible AND worthwhile to have some system in place for new player helpers to enlist themselves ingame?

Using a similar method that turns combatants on/off on total war feature, a new player helper can #switchon the help facility, then will be paired up automatically to a newly join player ingame..so a pm would be sent automatically to both the helper and the new player introducing them to each other, the helper could then pm the player and teach them how to get thru the tutorials and learn about pming and other things. when the helper has had enough for the time being they can #switchoff the help facility and the new player is then referred onto the next available helper not yet assigned to a new player.

Would free up mod time from sitting at IP campfire and allow old players who like to help out new ones the chance to do so without worrying about just pming someone new out of the blue and introducing themselves if its all automated to do it anyway.

I really don't think no one would use a newbie helping system, because people just don't want to do that.

If you really want to help n00bs, stay at beam and help them. How many people did you see doing that?

Hello all!

After talking to a lot of people/newbs in the game, I'm beginning to think that the way I started the game was a fairly rare choice :) . I actually READ the rules! Gasp! Then, since I was new to the game and didn't know how to play, I talked to the tutorial NPC! How wierd is that... a person actually using a tutorial to find out how to do something. :blink:

Anyway, I found the rabbits/beavers to be almost unbearable. Radu, I'm the guy in-game that you asked if I lived on the moon cause my #ping was 1689 ms. However, because I was trained that real men DO read the instructions, I had to finish the tutorial quest anyway. I think I took a couple breaks from it, but it was long enough ago that I don't remember. Eventually, I got the skins needed. I don't remember if I caught all of them myself, or bought some of them.

The flower thing was fine for me, I didn't mind that too much. But the tavern quest... Starting a new game in unfamiliar territory, I have a phobia of getting lost, and then to SEND ME ALL THE WAY ACCROSS WHITESTONE?!?! HORROR! Actually the gargs weren't a problem for me. I didn't even know that there were gargs in whitestone until I had been playing for a few months iirc.

Anyway, that's my experience with the current quest. I'm not going to suggest any changes myself, because some excellent changes have already been suggested, so I'll just quote:

The tutorial would involved something like the following parts:

* Killing rabbits/rats to get raw meat and cash (by selling rabbit skins).

* Buy gloves.

* Find and harvest red-snaps and red-roses.

* Find and harvest sulfur.

* Mix some FEs.

* Find and harvest logs or branches.

* Build and light the fire on IP.

* Cook some meat.

Tavern quest: you goto the tavern and come back the tutorial (great I know how to travel now) gives you a leather helm. ( YOu wonder what do I need this for)

Flower quest: The tutorial NPC sends you out to get a flower, you go get that flower. (OK now I know how to harvest). He gives you a iron sword. (WTH do I need this for)

FIght Quest: Next Quest go kill me a bunny and bring me his fur. (OH cool I bet the sword and leather helm will help) you go kill the bunny. (you now know how to kill) NPC gives you a set of leather gloves, (hmm wonder what the gloves are for)

ALCHEMY Quest: HE tells you to make him 1 fire essence. He tells you where to find how to make a FE. (oh so I need to gloves to harvest suflur great). You do this and bring it back to him.

Cooking quest: you need 1 fe, 1 branch or wood, and 1 raw meat. Please goto the fire and make me 1 cooked meat, I am hungry. so you go harvest a branch or wood. you goto the fire you use the fe on the fire pit to light it and cook 1 raw meat into 1 cooked meat.

Quest completion: YOu have completed all my quests. he gives you "items" and states to go forth and prosper.

The_Saxman (Jayim_Duinara)

Guild Master of The Zadanians (ZAD)

Edited by The_Saxman

How about teaching about the underworld. becouse you just go to beam when you are lower levels.

npc- Now I will tell you about the underworld. when you die, you get sent to the underworld. You have a 50% chance of loosing each item you are carrying when you die. I will teleport you there now so you can see it, and figure out how to get out.

teleported to underworld.

npc- ok, Now you are in the underworld, you will notice that there is no map.You can download the underworld map from www.el-cel.com(or what ever website) Now head North until you see stairs.......

You get the idea.

Edited by Usalfin

How about teaching about the underworld. becouse you just go to beam when you are lower levels.
npc- Now I will tell you about the underworld. when you die, you get sent to the underworld. You have a 50% chance of loosing each item you are carrying when you die. I will teleport you there now so you can see it, and figure out how to get out.

teleported to underworld.

npc- ok, Now you are in the underworld, you will notice that there is no map.You can download the underworld map from www.el-cel.com(or what ever website) Now head North until you see stairs.......

You get the idea.

NPC telling you to download the map from a website? If the devs wanted the underworld to have a map they would just include it, no?

NPC telling you to download the map from a website? If the devs wanted the underworld to have a map they would just include it, no?

What I wrote is just a suggestion, also not all maps are included becouse of download size, like the music is a seperate download.

I like these idea's, add to them:

make the newbie collect en sell some stuff to get gc and add a "bookquest" part where he has to buy the christall technology book

same as to send him to the WS blacksmith to buy 1 set of leather gloves, so he can actually harvest some sulfur and make the fe.

What I wrote is just a suggestion, also not all maps are included becouse of download size, like the music is a seperate download.

getting out of UW is a quest on its own :D you search and walk wrong way a lot before you get out. I still find it strange that that map is not included newbie's visit that part of the game the most :P

I really don't think no one would use a newbie helping system, because people just don't want to do that.

If you really want to help n00bs, stay at beam and help them. How many people did you see doing that?

Not too many. I know Magrass used to do it when she was still playing. I myself used to try it at times, but it seems many newbies think they can stand on their own 2 feet from the get go. I have even managed to get yelled at for healing one of them that kept dying :D Many many other newbies will resort to begging for fr33 st00f (like a fire sword to kill teh Dragon) within the first 2 minutes of you trying to give them some tips and advice. Having experienced that, and having been around in the game for quite some time now, I can only conclude that there wont be too many true newbie helpers, as they must be not only very nice, but also extremely patient, selfless, selfsecured, experience and knowledgable, AND be able to apply all these things at the same time :P

I think, with just a few adjustments (like the ones you proposed), the NPC Tutorial quest will suffice. I believe that when you just start out, you are reminded quite often about joining ch. 1 and 2, and there is always someone there to help. Imho, just because you are new to the game, shouldn't mean you don't have to read what appears on your screen or think for yourself, instead of letting others guide you all the way.

I enjoyed the quest. The pain in the ass rabbits made it easier to fight bigger creatures later. I think the current ideas for expanding the quest are great too.

Edited to change font color.

Edit by Aisy: Edited back to regular font color and size, please don't do this per rule #7 here: http://www.eternal-lands.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13949

Edited by Aislinn