Eternal Lands Official Forums
Wizzy

Economy

All thx to my friends Grawius and Nitager who's advices saved me so much time, yeah, i made 100k HE but its not like i was 1st or last who made that much, and rumors about srs r wrong, i made them like many other fighters with veg 4 nexus- on spawn :confused:

<edit> kinda feeling now like hijacker, sorry economy thread :>

"rumours"? lol

ofc you made on spawn, everyone did :medieval:

All thx to my friends Grawius and Nitager who's advices saved me so much time, yeah, i made 100k HE but its not like i was 1st or last who made that much, and rumors about srs r wrong, i made them like many other fighters with veg 4 nexus- on spawn :rolleyes:

<edit> kinda feeling now like hijacker, sorry economy thread :>

"rumours"? lol

ofc you made on spawn, everyone did :medieval:

For sure!! :bow_arrow:

@dragu, yes, but even if you get EL promoted again like CT did it you won't get many new players at all.

a newbie does not want to harvest 10 hours to buy what he needs. a newbie doesnt care a shit about the economy either, people who look for a new game want to have fun in it and not slavery work.

Edited by Tempest

the truth and the point is - average EL player needs to spend more and more time in game on tedious, repetitive tasks serving for making more and more gc in order to afford basic items required to have fun in game

Amen! There needs to be more ways to gain money in the game, maybe increasing the the amount of gc's found when harvesting to the amounts in the hundreds instead of tens? There is an insane amount of items that must be bought, and it takes a ton of time to make money. I can't get my husband involved in the game because of the time needed to play.

@dragu, yes, but even if you get EL promoted again like CT did it you won't get many new players at all.

a newbie does not want to harvest 10 hours to buy what he needs. a newbie doesnt care a shit about the economy either, people who look for a new game want to have fun in it and not slavery work.

how the fuck did we all end up here then?

edit:forgot question mark

Edited by anima

how the fuck did we all end up here then?

edit:forgot question mark

Why isn't playerbase growing? :whistle:

There must be a balance between "ease of play" and duration of play. If you can do everything the game offers after just a few hours of play time people will only play for a short while before they leave to play something else. In Eternal Lands, some things can be done with little or no money. Other things require huge investments in money (and the play time required to earn that money).

Unfortunately, earning money is tedious whether you're harvesting flowers to sell to an NPC or making essence/SRs to sell to players or kiling imps/ goblins/ogres/fluffs for hours at a time. Making money faster won't improve the game although maybe making money in more interesting ways would (the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is an assortment of repeatable quests that would allow characters to earn money doing different kinds of things - bringing in money at a rate comparable to the other money-earning choices but providing a more varied gaming experience).

There must be a balance between "ease of play" and duration of play. If you can do everything the game offers after just a few hours of play time people will only play for a short while before they leave to play something else. In Eternal Lands, some things can be done with little or no money. Other things require huge investments in money (and the play time required to earn that money).

Unfortunately, earning money is tedious whether you're harvesting flowers to sell to an NPC or making essence/SRs to sell to players or kiling imps/ goblins/ogres/fluffs for hours at a time. Making money faster won't improve the game although maybe making money in more interesting ways would (the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is an assortment of repeatable quests that would allow characters to earn money doing different kinds of things - bringing in money at a rate comparable to the other money-earning choices but providing a more varied gaming experience).

In any other game, the more you play, the more level/experience you gain. And the more gc you can make.

Afaik, lupines is one of the fastest ways to make gc, from newbie, untill highest of levels. Not including lucky random el %-factors.

To me this seems is a bit akward. Could be me though.

have you played any of those other games?

do you notice the currency in those games is nigh on worthless, so trades are done on barter system?

i love the way the EL economy is stable and inflation is very low.

do you notice the currency in those games is nigh on worthless, so trades are done on barter system?

I did. I did not. I do not.

Afaik, lupines is one of the fastest ways to make gc, from newbie, untill highest of levels. Not including lucky random el %-factors.

To me this seems is a bit akward. Could be me though.

I do think that harvesting is overweighted in both exp and gc compared to the other skills. On the other hand, there are too many producers of finished goods. Reducing the exp and gc from harvesting will just drive people to make stuff instead.

Eh what? There are very few games in which the currency is actually worthless.

EL economy isn't great, but compared to the other games out there I'd rank it pretty high, especially considering how long it's been going for now :)

I did. I did not. I do not.

So then why are you still here?

Cause pk weights much heavier than an ingame economy. And pk rocks in el, even tho its underpopulated and moneyburning. :)

Well, as a newbie to EL, my opinion might not carry a whole lot of weight.. but here goes anyway..

I think the EL economy is rather good, truth be told. It's one *hell* of a lot healthier than most of the other MMORPG's I've played in the last 5 years. Inflation is kept to a minimum, and aside from a few very rare items, you can get what you need, generally without too much fuss.

That's an important point, btw.. "Get what you Need".

If one is talking about general Economic theory.. I think there's a tremendous fallacy present revolving around the concept of "Scarcity".. With Scarcity is acknowledged that there are a finite amount of resources, and that human wants are infinite. This, however, introduces a predisposition of thought that somehow "all human wants ought to be satisfied."

Personally, I think such a notion is utterly full of crap. A child who has had all their human wants satisfied is known disparagingly as a "spoiled brat".. and frankly, the adult form of such excessive consumerism is even less pleasant to be around.

To that end, I just want to make an observation. Most of the people I have heard complaining about "the economy", both here in EL and on about a half-dozen other MMORPG's.. are not really complaining about anything to do with the actual state of trade, of commerce, or the mechanisms that regulate the flow of cash and goods within the game. The vast majority of these complainers are simply whining that they can't get "uber shiny new toy X" *right now*.

There will be exceptions to that, of course. Some folk do have a legitimate interest in economic theory and its implementation in a virtual world. But from my observation, most are simply bemoaning their inability to practice excessive consumerism.

For my part, I have had little difficulty getting what I *need*. I have had to work for it, certainly, harvesting, manufacturing, killing creatures, but that, to me, is part of the RPG experience. We're creating virtual *people* in a virtual world, and living a vicarious existence that we would otherwise not be privy to. What separates this from a pure fantasy is that we *don't* get everything handed to us on a silver platter. The effort involved is what makes the time spent to accumulate that which we desire worthwhile.

And from that perspective, I think the economy in EL is doing just fine.

For my part, I have had little difficulty getting what I *need*. I have had to work for it, certainly, harvesting, manufacturing, killing creatures, but that, to me, is part of the RPG experience. We're creating virtual *people* in a virtual world, and living a vicarious existence that we would otherwise not be privy to. What separates this from a pure fantasy is that we *don't* get everything handed to us on a silver platter. The effort involved is what makes the time spent to accumulate that which we desire worthwhile.

Nice post Drue. You are perfectly right

But

Its a very fine line most MMORPG have to walk to get the balance right. ( between Economy and Fun ), Everyone plays games to have a break from RL and to enjoy themselves, but sometimes an Economy can push the fun to one side and the game becomes a Job .

I would say 90% of MMORPG players dont want things handed to them on a silver plate ( A game also loses its fun if it is to easy ) but when the balance is tipped to :

Having to spend more time playing a game as a job inorder to have fun , rather than having the fun itself, IMO something is wrong.

Has EL got this problem ? ( thats for better minds than mine to judge )

Edited by conavar

Its a very fine line most MMORPG have to walk to get the balance right. ( between Economy and Fun ), Everyone plays games to have a break from RL and to enjoy themselves, but sometimes an Economy can push the fun to one side and the game becomes a Job .

There really needs to be more varied ways of earning money. An example would be to add gambling (against a computer or real person) in taverns on some maps. Harvesting flowers for days on end or endlessly mixing can get real repetitive real quick.

There really needs to be more varied ways of earning money. An example would be to add gambling (against a computer or real person) in taverns on some maps. Harvesting flowers for days on end or endlessly mixing can get real repetitive real quick.

There is a lottery which not many people take advantage of.

Well, as a newbie to EL, my opinion might not carry a whole lot of weight.. but here goes anyway..

I think the EL economy is rather good, truth be told. It's one *hell* of a lot healthier than most of the other MMORPG's I've played in the last 5 years. Inflation is kept to a minimum, and aside from a few very rare items, you can get what you need, generally without too much fuss.

That's an important point, btw.. "Get what you Need".

If one is talking about general Economic theory.. I think there's a tremendous fallacy present revolving around the concept of "Scarcity".. With Scarcity is acknowledged that there are a finite amount of resources, and that human wants are infinite. This, however, introduces a predisposition of thought that somehow "all human wants ought to be satisfied."

Personally, I think such a notion is utterly full of crap. A child who has had all their human wants satisfied is known disparagingly as a "spoiled brat".. and frankly, the adult form of such excessive consumerism is even less pleasant to be around.

To that end, I just want to make an observation. Most of the people I have heard complaining about "the economy", both here in EL and on about a half-dozen other MMORPG's.. are not really complaining about anything to do with the actual state of trade, of commerce, or the mechanisms that regulate the flow of cash and goods within the game. The vast majority of these complainers are simply whining that they can't get "uber shiny new toy X" *right now*.

There will be exceptions to that, of course. Some folk do have a legitimate interest in economic theory and its implementation in a virtual world. But from my observation, most are simply bemoaning their inability to practice excessive consumerism.

And from that perspective, I think the economy in EL is doing just fine.

Bingo.

We have gambling, few use it.

Anything else?

We had more gamble bots earlier, ppl were pissed off, that *THEY* didnt win the jackpot but somebody else.

So that might not be a solution either.

Piper

OK lets talk about economy, economics, whatever you wish to discuss on the subject.

I feel mmorpg's in general can teach alot of the younger generation about free enterprise system.

Inflation: the NPC's have not increased their prices therefore there is no inflation.

IN free enterprise systems Supply vs demand does set the price. If you have an over supply the demand goes down so the prices must go down to move the product. If the demand out weighs the supply the prices go up.

There are many factors that weigh into a Free Enterprise system.

1. The overall printed Coin. IE the true inflation. IF a country or game prints more money without backing or reason this an cause a lower value of the coin causing an increase in the price of product do to the lesser value of that coin.

2. We don't have this in Game but In RL the number one contributer to economics is actually Interest rates. And it is backwards. The higher the interest rates the stronger the economy. THis is due to other countries investing where they can get the best bang for their dollar. IE. you have 10k bank A. is offering 1%interst rate, and bank B is offering 5% interest rate. Who are you going to bank with.

3. RL Stock Market can be influence by Interest rates and outside info.< IE news.

4. Basically if Radu raises the price on an item purchased with RL money it is the same as hearing in the news that, THe economy is on an upswing. Just hearing that can Make huge benefits to the market. Thus raising economy.

5. IF a demand is here today but is gone tomorrow it can a. drive companies out of busines, or B force them to lower their prices.

This Game does an excellant job at teaching the free Enterprise Economy.

Radu has a very firm grasp of economics and understands that every change he makes can have good or bad consequences, I was actually would not have guessed this.

I know with what he put in the blog this game will have some heartaches but will get better every day.

He cares about his game. Not all do.

Edited by Banedon