Eternal Lands Official Forums
Storm_Shadow

Method to reduce crowdage at Storages

Ive noticed alot of overcrowdage at storages making it hard to reach the npc. Mostly its ppl alching stuff or whatever. I was thinking what if there was a storage set up like a classroom so that people in the far back can access storage in there making more room to mix and alc. IT would eliminate crowdage at alot of the normal storages near reasources, people can collect resources and go to that storage to mix stuff making the flow of things run more smoothly for everyone. Again its an idea spawned outof aggravation at the overcrowded storages everywhere, even in c2 sometimes.

I think simply extending the range of being close enough to access storage would help. Perhaps anywhere within the room for an inside storage, and a larger range for outside.

Also, putting the storage NPC on top of a box/barrel/crate helps a LOT in being able to click on them.

its a good idea, and people on boxesdoes help a lot

@acelon if you are hauling to sto you dont have much choice about where you go, you need to go to the nearest one, and you can hardly ask people to alc elsewhere.

@acelon if you are hauling to sto you dont have much choice about where you go, you need to go to the nearest one, and you can hardly ask people to alc elsewhere.

Why not to put a storage NPC at every single of resources in the game? Wouldn't it be cool?

I like the classroom idea, but yes, extending the distance access might do the trick, or might just shift the crowd to even more annoying spots in doorways :)

As for storage NPCs on boxes, no thankyou. We have the ability to sit while mixing at storage, and the need for etiquet in these situations is an added element to the game. Silly maybe, but I like it :whistle:

One of the problems is that the most used storages are manned by short people dwarves. This is political correctness taken too far! Ok, I can understand the dude at Votd being short, but I can't excuse the ones at NC, TG and DP, unless of course, you are saying that dwarves are greedy and like holding on to people's stuff! :)

if you really want to enhance the storage accessibility, put a small icon or something near the clock into the hud that opens the storage on click (this wont be to hard to implement).

next step (that may need some server/protocol changes as well) would be to highlight this icon if you're in range of a storage.

If you turn off the names, health numbers and health bar, clicking the sto bot at a full storage is not that hard. It's the cluttered text and health info that's making it hard, not the number of people so just turn those off when you enter a storage.

...or make storage areas no-mix-zones.

Far less mass production. Player run "factory zones" using hbags & couriers, guards, cooperation & team work.

Far more bitching from players who want to be spoon fed...

Harvested over 600k of various resources since Jan 08, never had a problem putting them into a storage yet..theres plenty of space if you know where to look people. And for those that still insist on muling to storages that are highly populated by mixers..zoom is your friend! :P

You can choose another storage to go to, you'll just have to add an extra minute to your walking time.

Pros - No more wasted time clicking, no more lag

Cons - Extra walking.

See? Just don't be lazy :)

if you really want to enhance the storage accessibility, put a small icon or something near the clock into the hud that opens the storage on click (this wont be to hard to implement).
Exactly, a "View storage" button like the "View inventory" would be very nice.

Typing #sto while standing close enough to a storage NPC should open an accessible storage window too.

next step (that may need some server/protocol changes as well) would be to highlight this icon if you're in range of a storage.
It would indeed be nice to have the server share the "storage accessibility" information with the client (not at map loading time, but when entering/leaving the area)*.

Wishlist for the storage window:

• to be able to open it (accessible) with the #sto command
  • to be able to open it by pressing a button
  • to be able to open it by ctrl+, alt+, shift+ and/or right-clicking the storage NPC (bypassing the NPC window)
  • to be able to keep it open all the time (also on map changes)
  • to have every storage category always visible (with the accessible categories on top, and with a check-box to hide the currently inaccessible categories)
  • to have the visual part of storage accessibility update whenever you enter or leave a storage-accessible area
  • to have the inaccessible category names grey out (in addition to the grey grid, and (view only) in the title)

I think parts of this have come up in the #sto <keyword> discussion too, but I took this opportunity to reiterate. :)

Now how much does it cost me to bump this up in the priority list, Radu? :icon13:

* This would also get rid of the You cannot access the storage from here! "bug" while you're standing right next to the storage NPC (but traded with someone in the meantime, with one of you out of reach of storage).