Eternal Lands Official Forums
Ozmondius

New Break Rate

Since the recent change to the break rate sampling, I and others in my guild have experienced an insane amount of breakage. With skeptic and NMT, i am averaging a full aug set about every 17 fluffies. At less than 1kgc/hr from fluffs, if this stays consistent, you can barely pay for the aug broken during training let alone HE and SRs.

In the 2 days after the update, 1 guildie degraded/broke 2 CoL, 4 Mol, iron set, steel cuisses, and about 30 aug sets training fem and male unarmed orcs. Another guildie degraded CoL in the same timeframe.

Are others experiencing similar breakage since the update or are we just having some bad luck?

Edited by Ozmondius

Are others experiencing similar breakage since the update or are we just having some bad luck?

No bad luck, I'd say. One of my guildies broke a full titanium armor in two training sessions, the same armor that lasted for a long time, and he also had NMT and a very favorable astrology. Needless to say, he was less than pleased ...

I was going to write "will have to test this myself" (didn't train all that much recently) but, on second thought ... :lipssealed:

Rehdon

I've been hearing many people complain of increased breakages, and i've been experiencing them myself (skeptic/nmt).

Whether or not it makes logical sense that when you receive a hit, even if you take no damage, there should be a chance to break armor is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it would appear this change has made it so way too much armor is breaking.

IMO, it either needs to be changed back or the break chances of all armors in the game needs to be reduced.

We break enough stuff PK'ing as it is, the gc drops from higher level monsters suck, the developers never seem interested in any suggestion that puts more gc in a fighters hand...

...is the goal here to make combat in EL so annoying that all fighters quit and EL just becomes a big bunch of mixers selling wares to NPCs? if it is, gj so far.

/me awaits his spanking

Edited by Korrode

This may be a case where the cure (increased break rates for everyone) is worse than the disease (people not breaking things while PVPing).

This may be a case where the cure (increased break rates for everyone) is worse than the disease (people not breaking things while PVPing).

This is one of the most ignorant things I've read on the forums lately.

@bkc

yeah... PvP... right.

With the system prior to this update:

If i train fluffy in full steel, i will only take damage from crits. Hence, there is only risk of breakage on crits.

If i PvP train in full steel, i will only take damage from crits. Hence, there is only risk of breakage on crits.

There is no difference. Please Ent or someone, explain to me in technical detail the difference.

(EDIT: No difference in the system i mean, players prolly crit less than monsters, and for less damage)

It's not like people were PvP training taking no damage at all (most everyone has more might than toughness), they just were only taking damage on crits... sure u use few HE and break hardly any armor... but it all still applies exactly the same to anytime you train any monster wearing enough armor to absorb all non-crit damage.

(EDIT: posting while Ent was :S)

Edited by Korrode

This is one of the most ignorant things I've read on the forums lately.
Couldn't have been that bad, it didn't even rate one of the sarcastic web-pictures you like to post.

@bkc

yeah... PvP... right.

Not my fault, I took that directly from Entropy's Server Update post. If you don't like the reason, talk to him.

"Some people were exploting this by pvping in their highest armors, so no damage was done, and no items broke. "

Edited by bkc56

Ok, here is the explanation:

While in combat, there are two things calculated each round:

1. If the player A can HIT player B. This is done by taking into account various things, such as the attack, defense, accuracy, and so on.

If the chance to hit is positive, then we have:

2. Damage inflicted. The damage inflicted is based on some other factors, such as the attack, defense, weapon damage, blah, blah, and all of it is substracted by the armor of the target (unless if a critical hit).

So before we had the situation when players would get dressed in the fullest armor they could get (full steel, black dragon, etc.) and train on monsters that would have a chance to hit them, but the damage was absorbed by the armor, so unless if there was a critical hit, no damage was taken, and no chance for the armor to break.

Hope this explains it.

Anyway, I will monitor the breakage for the next few days, and possibly decrease the breaking chance a little.

As we have talked about this Kor, I will throw in my bit too.

It is simply not consistent for armour to absorb damage that otherwise would have gone to you (total or partial) and expect that there is no risk of damage to the armour.

I do not think it is a bug to wear armour sufficient to absorb all but criticals. That is like wearing a beer keg to protect you from golf balls (yea crap example, but I like beer and golf). However, every golf ball is doing damage to the keg. You are perfectly safe from the golf balls, but the keg sure isn't :lipssealed:

mmm...beer.

S.

@Spleen

Ya due to our conversations i was sure to say:

Whether or not it makes logical sense that when you receive a hit, even if you take no damage, there should be a chance to break armor is irrelevant. What is relevant is that it would appear this change has made it so way too much armor is breaking.

IMO, it either needs to be changed back or the break chances of all armors in the game needs to be reduced.

:lipssealed:

Ent said he'll reconsider break-rates, that's as gooder response as we could hope for.

Absolutely, I was just taking the opportunity to pre-emtively rebutt anyone who was going to say blah blah why should there be a risk of breaking it didnt do any damage cry cry and the like.

I have been breaking a lot of picks lately though, non crit hits by the titanium? :lipssealed:

S.

well, i just thought id throw this in

im not sure when the update came in but for the last 72 hours, ive killed 715 male ogres and made 320+ restores, so ive taken a hell of a lot of hits, i got skeptic/nmt and have not broken anything training in full iron+COL+steel sheild+uni med. i understand this is probably just lucky since it makes sense more armour should break, although im not bothered at the moment because a lot of normal hits are doing me a little damamge.

We had this bug since 2004? :)

Ah well, the more stuff we break, the more afk harving we can do, whoohoo. Gotta love it. We might get a stone!

Ah well, the more stuff we break, the more afk harving we can do, whoohoo. Gotta love it. We might get a stone!

I just w8 for harvesting bugs to be fixed, like the one that doesnt allow u to break excavator cape when u harv :D

Really nasty one :whistle:

2. Damage inflicted. The damage inflicted is based on some other factors, such as the attack, defense, weapon damage, blah, blah, and all of it is substracted by the armor of the target (unless if a critical hit).

and the chance of breakage is proportional to the damage (inflicted or absorbed) i suppose, right?

if so it could be fairer to have the amount of damage used in the breakage calculation, reduced by toughness first or by a percentage of it. The energy of a hit is indeed dissipated in part by the armor and in part by the body.

I just w8 for harvesting bugs to be fixed, like the one that doesnt allow u to break excavator cape when u harv :D

Really nasty one :whistle:

That and buckets please :)

I broke many more armors in the last 2 days than have in the last 2 years.

I hope the rates are adjusted soon because right now all armor is pretty much useless.

and the chance of breakage is proportional to the damage (inflicted or absorbed) i suppose, right?

if so it could be fairer to have the amount of damage used in the breakage calculation, reduced by toughness first or by a percentage of it. The energy of a hit is indeed dissipated in part by the armor and in part by the body.

You really don't want the chance to be proportional with the damage :)

And yes, we had this 'bug' since 2004. I knew about it, but didn't realize that people were doing things this way.

You really don't want the chance to be proportional with the damage :)

we only dont want the break rate generally increased every month >.<

Yes a lot more break, yesterday my brother broke col and some steel cuisses in 30 mins

today i trained a bit, broke steel plate,1x med, 3x steel shields (i was using triple, sometimes 4x chims) but eventhough... 95% hits were blocked :) so breakrate high (i trained 3 hours 45 broke the plate in the last 15 mins was pissed, heavynoobgay broke it afterwards >.>) u want a better gc sink ent ? increase break rate, but also increase repair rate (ppl will hate me xD)

~TK.

Edited by Michic0_oL

I havent broken anything, at all, seems to be fine for me :) , you guys that keep breaking things are just really unlucky.

Wait...maybe its because I havent trained...or fought...at all...hmm.

Hey this works better than nmt!! :whistle: And uber cheaper :D

Yes a lot more break, yesterday my brother broke col and some steel cuisses in 30 mins

today i trained a bit, broke steel plate,1x med, 3x steel shields (i was using triple, sometimes 4x chims) but eventhough... 95% hits were blocked :) so breakrate high (i trained 3 hours 45 broke the plate in the last 15 mins was pissed, heavynoobgay broke it afterwards >.>) u want a better gc sink ent ? increase break rate, but also increase repair rate (ppl will hate me xD)

~TK.

or gimmie brod.

I get u 2 mill gc everyday out if u stop decreasing everything >.<

Edited by Tempest

I noticed this break increase too and I got angry sold my train gear and now I train on weaker monsters with noob equip and -19 a/d(steel chain/aug pants/iron helm...). Its not as good exp as the monster i built my char to train on but it has its benefits :)

edit: old style training ftw!

Edited by Garnoo