Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanyel

Story Telling Nights in Draia

Greetings,

once upon the time there was a series of story telling events - it was called Story Telling Nights in Seridia.

I think it may be a good idea to revive it. The events will be taking place during weekends, once or twice per month. I want it to be a kind of bards' contest. However, do not count on other prizes than having your name posted in this forums and global message.

I'd love to see many of you in taverns of Draia. I hope to hear many good stories.

Let's meet during the following weekend:)

Its a great idea and I would love to be involved but unfortunatly my tyoping skills live in game are not the best and peeps would get fed up of me. Im best at forum writing :wub: but I will still come along to listen

Tiz

You can type it beforehand and then copy/paste your story in the game. That's the best way to do it anyway :wub:

The event will start with settling a topic for your stories. You will be given a few minutes for deciding whether you want to take part in it and another 15-20 minutes for writing your story. Your story shouldn't be too long or it gets difficult to follow.

The best way of preparing your story is to do as Roja suggested. Prepare it in your notepad then just copy and paste it;)

You can see what kind of stories has been written in the past. We will follow this example and post all submitted stories in forums:) Hopefully it will help to release an RPing spirit of our community.

I'm a little confused on exactly what this event is? ;)

Could you maybe explain a bit more exactly what would be happening? I tried to read the thread you linked to but it seemed to more be stories and not as much what the event actually was :)

From what I can gather it sounds like an interesting event that I'm sure would be fun, but I'm afraid I don't quite understand what the event will consist of :(

Edited by Enly

This is not good my freind at all 15 - 20 mins is asking to much for some people like me - why cant we prepare it in our own time and just show up ad tell it.

There are many many very talented people in this game and out who can write well in thier own time like myself, it makes me sad that we cant be included. Please think about those who would love to join in but lack the skills to so so in such a confined time limit. I am of course talking about things like Dyslexia, 1st language of french or german and would need to translate some words etc or even myself whos 1st language is BSL.

Please rethink this ;)

Tiz

There's Stories Forums. There may be some storytelling contests in this forums as well.

This contest is for people being able to make up a quick story on a given topic. Proper English is not the matter. There have been winners from other countries than English-speaking. It's the plot of the story that makes you a winner. As a matter of fact English is not my first language. My English sucks for most of the time;) It doesn't stop me from making up a stupid stories every now and then. Just think about it as an excercise ;)

Edited by Vanyel

This contest is for people being able to make up a quick story on a given topic

so we are being excluded ok no problem have fun

Tiz

I must agree with Tiz here. Most stories, most good stories, are written at a time the writer gets inspiration. For some that could be in the middle of the night or when in the bathroom!

At that moment the writer puts the words on paper(screen..) and then he/she can submit it to its proper place..and that might very well be this event.

I applaud the idea of a story night, but you cannot expect inspiraton to pop up like mother nature's events ;)

Jez

I must agree with Tiz here. Most stories, most good stories, are written at a time the writer gets inspiration. For some that could be in the middle of the night or when in the bathroom!

At that moment the writer puts the words on paper(screen..) and then he/she can submit it to its proper place..and that might very well be this event.

I applaud the idea of a story night, but you cannot expect inspiraton to pop up like mother nature's events :(

Jez

Yup, I agree.

I was once sat on the toilet seat doing a big number 2; when all of a sudden, I got some great idea's for stories :) The funny thing is, before then I could never write stories however much I tried! Convenient, eh? ;)

Elvis Presley died on the toilet, and decades later, my writing career was born on the toilet :)

I'm sorry, when I made my post I didn't realize it was a "write a quick story" type event. No one is being discriminated against though guys, it's just the kind of event it is! So if it's not for you, maybe in the future there'll be another one where you'll have more time to write :rolleyes:

Well, Roja, you can always do a "writers challenge" in the Stories forums -- post a topic and a deadline of a few weeks, get contestants to sign up by a designated start date, and then let the fingers hit the keyboards. :lipssealed:

As for Vanyel's idea, if I ever get my comp able to run EL again, I'd definitely try my hand at it, only I can't quite envision how it's supposed to work because I wasn't around for the first Story Nights.

-- I'm guessing there be a global message calling all bards and tale-tellers to a certain tavern by a certain time for the contest?

-- When would the topic be announced? At the tavern, or before with the first announcement?

-- I suppose the stories would have to be posted in local chat? Or in the Events channel?

-- Would each contestant be allowed to finish his/her story without interruption, before the next could start posting his/her story?

-- How would we know when the contestant's story is finished? How would we prevent never-ending stories? Would there be a length limit -- like the entire story has to be told in ~10 channel posts, with the standard per-post word count limit? Then it would be like a haiku contest or the Surrealists' 50-word story contests.

-- How would the winner be chosen?

iirc...

Since the event was hosted by a mod, he was able to work his magic to announce it globally

After all the potential bards had gathered in the specified tavern, the topic would be announced. (Actually, we were given a line that the story needed to start with, I'll dig up what I did way back when for an example if the moderator-people don't mind me posting it here).

10 min later, the first volunteer would tell his story. After he finished the next one would go, etc.

The stories would be in local chat in the Tavern

There was a limit on the number of lines someone could post.

Edited by Dunian

Well, Roja, you can always do a "writers challenge" in the Stories forums -- post a topic and a deadline of a few weeks, get contestants to sign up by a designated start date, and then let the fingers hit the keyboards. :)

This was done in the past a few years ago. We might do it again, but I don't know.

Thanks, Dunian. That seems fairly straightforward. Vanyel's link in to the old contest thread in his opening post shows pretty clearly the First Line provided for each story, but some of the stories were pretty lengthy and intricate, so I could not tell if there was a mandatory line count limit. :) And I assume that the presiding mod tells each storyteller when to take his/her turn to post in local chat. And also, since it's in local chat rather than event channel, I'd guess the mod(s) pick the winner -- it's not by public audience vote?

Edited by peino

I have a suggestion. Come to the first event and see it on your own:) Should be easier than answering countless questions.

I assure you it did work in the past. Actually, it worked pretty well. I don't see a reason it shouldn't work nowadays.

The only difference will be using the Roleplaying channel instead of Events channel for event-related chat. Stories will be told in local chat.

I have a suggestion. Come to the first event and see it on your own:) Should be easier than answering countless questions.

I assure you it did work in the past. Actually, it worked pretty well. I don't see a reason it shouldn't work nowadays.

The only difference will be using the Roleplaying channel instead of Events channel for event-related chat. Stories will be told in local chat.

Heh, I didn't think there would be any reason it wouldn't work, either. I just wanted to know how it works -- you know, out of curiosity. :)