Eternal Lands Official Forums
kl4Uz

Tutorial Quests...

A few days ago I helped a friend with the tutorial quests since he just played EL for the first time. I couldn't help but notice how boring and hardly usefull at all they are. EL has changed a lot, yet the tutorial quests remain the same for several years now. I stumbled over this EL "review" (not really a review) http://www.massively.com/2008/01/04/first-...-eternal-lands/ and while I don't like the tone and what that guy wrote, his first impressions about the tutorial quests is probably shared by many first time players - who might uninstall the game right away. Which is a pity.

1. Quest: Why so many taverns?

-> Alternative: Go to the tavern in Isla Prima and bring me a bottle of wine and then please head to the one in WSC, because they got the best bread and bring me one of those. And don't forget to click ('use') the bar there! (you recieve 25gc)

3. Why all those useless plants?

-> Alternative: You must be hungry (See the yellow bar in your HUD it indicates your foodlevel!) Go to the campfire. Nearby you will find a field with veggies. Harvest some of those and bring them to the storage (Maybe raven in Whitestone). Oh and while you are just at it, get me some roses and lupins and put them along with the veggies in the storage.

Okay not MUCH more interesting. But a bit less repetitive and it includes buying at an NPC alread. These are just ideas how to modify the existing ones. A few other simple ones could be added.

Thumbs up. Nice ones.

EL really lacks quests, but that's another severaly mentioned story...

Edited by Khalai

We tried updating the tutorial quests before.

It was deemed they weren't allowed to be changed.

Edited by Acelon

Why exactly?

I agree that the tutorial quest should be updated/changed. I've read many reviews across the internet of people's first impressions of the game, and it normally includes the tutorial quest, which people aren't fond of. It can be rather tedious, there isn't much roleplay life to it. I think the quest could benefit a lot, even a simple changing of wording and adding more of a point to the 'quest' could make it more interesting and exciting for new players.

That review made me rofl

Quests do need updating, I've never done them once, the "go and touch 5 bars" thing just turned my brain off when i read it.

Why exactly?

Teh g0d doesn't want his work changed as far as I know.

And since he's the only one who can program them... that kind of leaves us without any alternatives :wub:

Here's just some of the comments related to this topic I found online:

Beginner guides 5/10 This is one of the weakest point the tutorial can be better fighting monsters are hard since they do run away and is a pain using a touch pad.

http://www.gameogre.com/reviewdirectory/re...ernal_Lands.php

Yeah, I played this game for an hour trying to figure out what I could even do. I was able to kill rabits but that's about it. I really want to learn how to do more though, it either way to simple and all you can do is kill rabit and talk to people or its way too complex and I am too stupid to figure it out. I'm really not sure which. It was a while ago that I tried it so maybe things have changed. Any tips on things to do in it would be appreciated. :wub:

http://www.thelinuxlink.net/forum/viewtopi...f=5&p=12628

Here's Tutorial NPC, son of Ma and Pa NPC, giving my the first of 3 tutorial quests. These quests are meant to help me navigate EL, but I got so bored by the end of the second one, I gave up on them entirely and just started attacking things.

http://www.massively.com/2008/01/04/first-...-eternal-lands/

The begining of the game needs a better interface for people who are just starting out . very tough for new people to figure out and learn how to get around log in kill make fires cook food etc...you are instantly required to instantly know this from the start or you get admin bashed

http://www.onrpg.com/games_comments/list/152

There have been improvements of the game start already, such as the new character creation screen etc. I definitely think some more things should be done. These kind of reviews give EL a bad reputation and might prevent new players from trying EL.

I think there should be a tutorial that teaches noobies how to gather and cook meat, this could involve harvesting wood, making an fe, lighting a fire, killing a rabbit and cooking the meat. Tutorials should teach players how to play the game and things they will need to do to progress. Some of the more advanced quests are more fun and useful.

And since he's the only one who can program them... that kind of leaves us without any alternatives :)

Umm, Teh g0d doesn't want someone else changing his work without his approval, which pisses him off greatly.

But Teh g0d is open to suggestions.

The idea with the vegies is good, and so is the one with the taverns.

So, any other suggestions?

P.S. I don't give a fuck about the bad reviews, most of them didn't play the game for more than a day or two at most. If they don't like it, they can play many other free games. Would you honestly like everyone to come and play the game?

Would you honestly like everyone to come and play the game?

Yes... we used to have 1000+ online then 1500 bans and quits (not saying banning is bad) later we are down to 300-700 average, the more players the better usually. Discluding people turning the games economy into a real life living

Edited by freakeer

And since he's the only one who can program them... that kind of leaves us without any alternatives :)

Umm, Teh g0d doesn't want someone else changing his work without his approval, which pisses him off greatly.

But Teh g0d is open to suggestions.

The idea with the vegies is good, and so is the one with the taverns.

So, any other suggestions?

P.S. I don't give a fuck about the bad reviews, most of them didn't play the game for more than a day or two at most. If they don't like it, they can play many other free games. Would you honestly like everyone to come and play the game?

The campfire one is a big one IMO.

Actually I would like to, more players means more customers :) Besides, among new players, there could be some potential rostogol customers and p2p customers as well, bringing some more bricks to your castle.

The campfire one is a big one IMO.
If you mean a tutorial to light the fire and cook some meat, I agree that would make a great new-player tutorial quest. The only problem I see is no safe source of sulfur as many newbs will not have MM perk/cape nor the def level to get sulfur in MM.

Perhaps a source of sulfur in the IP rat cave. It's a long way from any storage so it wouldn't be that useful to experienced players, but would allow new players to safely get a start in alchemy by making FEs (with a little help so they can find some red roses).

The tutorial would involved something like the following parts:

* Killing rabbits/rats to get raw meat and cash (by selling rabbit skins).

* Buy gloves.

* Find and harvest red-snaps and red-roses.

* Find and harvest sulfur.

* Mix some FEs.

* Find and harvest logs or branches.

* Build and light the fire on IP.

* Cook some meat.

Edit: I have been reminded that the Crystal Caves have sulfur too, so if the Imps don't auto-attack then that would be a good place for the quest to point people to.

Edited by bkc56

Imps don't auto attack :(

I like the idea, I was going to suggest something like this but never got around to it.

Also, I think it'd be nice if a message popped up when you first appear on IP, that says "Welcome to EL! Left-Click on the Tutorial NPC to get started." (or am I stupid and that's already there? been a while...)

:)

EDIT: this is a long shot, and will probably be flamed down because it's too close to RS, but I think maybe there should be a island before IP, thats smaller and easier to find rabbits and such, and faster spawn time. IP is getting crowded and alot of pr0's are training archery on newbie's rabbits.

Just a thought.

Edited by Jaxbot

EDIT: this is a long shot, and will probably be flamed down because it's too close to RS, but I think maybe there should be a island before IP, thats smaller and easier to find rabbits and such, and faster spawn time. IP is getting crowded and alot of pr0's are training archery on newbie's rabbits.

Just a thought.

Or simply restrict IP from any ranged attacks whatsoever?

Just a thought.

Or simply restrict IP from any ranged attacks whatsoever?

Perhaps. But this kind of idea would also allow spots for nearby sulfur, snap dragons, and roses, and people wouldn't be able to haul them for advanatage because there would be no way back.

I dunno.

Love the idea of changing the quests around. I can tell you from experience (just started play less than a month ago) that the Tutorial Quests need improvement.

Something to get the player interested, and perhaps even if it's small a story in there. Even like kl4Uz said in the first post. Even something as small as that.

I know I would have liked it better as I'm sure others would have too.

Question: Why doesn't EL have that many quests in the game? I know they have some...but why not more?

Would you honestly like everyone to come and play the game?

Yes... we used to have 1000+ online then 1500 bans and quits (not saying banning is bad) later we are down to 300-700 average, the more players the better usually.

Huh?

Question: Why doesn't EL have that many quests in the game? I know they have some...but why not more?

Many factors, one of them being that we don't have time yet.

Anyway, can someone make a tutorial quest, with dialogues and stuff?

BTW, there is no easy way to verify if someone lit the fire or not, so it should rely on cooking the meat.

Shall we make it a "everyone submit their ideas and see which one makes it" contest? :)

EDIT: nvm, that sounds like a bad idea :D

Edited by Jaxbot

BTW, there is no easy way to verify if someone lit the fire or not, so it should rely on cooking the meat.

I'm on it chief :D

OK, I took a shot at it:

Tutorial NPC Quest 2

Purpose: to learn how to make FEs, light a fire, and cook meat for food

Reward: 100 Health Essence

Totorial NPC

Once you have completed the initial quest, "Who Are You"/"Tutorials" has a new option:

"You have completed all the tutorials already..." (and talks about Lasud)

[New Tutorial] [Help] [Heal-Me] [bye]

[New-Tutorial] Now that you have completed the first set of tutorials, I have a new set of tasks for you to perform which will teach you the basics of alchemy and how to cook meat to use as food.

[Continue] [Help] [Heal-Me] [bye]

[Continue] To start you must hunt a number of rabbits. Save some of the raw meat in storage and sell the rest of the meat and skins at any Inn or Tavern. When you have collected some gold coins, go to Gerald the blacksmith in White Stone City and buy some Leather Gloves. Then return here.

[Help] [Heal-Me] [bye]

Upon returning to the Tutorial NPC:

[New Tutorial]

Have you been able to purchase some Leather Gloves?

[Yes] [No] [Help] [Heal-Me] [bye]

[Yes] (gloves in inventory) Great. Please go talk to Kalana in the North part of Desert Pines and she will teach you some basic Alchemy skills.

[Help] [Heal-Me] [bye]

Kalana

New option under "Name":

[Tutorial] [Corren] [Job] [bye]

Or perhaps it doesn't show up until you've read her text about the Crystal Caves.

[Tutorial] My time is limited, but I will take a moment to teach you how to start on the Alchemy Skill. The first item to make is a Fire Essence. Reading the entry for Fire Essence, under the Alchemy category in The Eternal Lands Encyclopedia will tell you how to make them.

[More] [Job] [bye]

[More] As you can see you'll need to harvest three ingredients. You can find Sulfur in the Crystal Caves. There is an entrance just West of here. You can find the needed flowers in Valley of the Dwarves just South of town. When you have collected all three please return here.

[Job] [bye]

Upon returning to Kalana, under "Name":

[Tutorial] [Corren] [Job] [bye]

[Tutorial] Have you gathered the ingredients to make Fire Essence?

[Yes] [No] [Corren] [Job] [bye]

[Yes] (sulfur, red roses, and red snapdragons in inventory) As the Encyclopedia shows, those three ingredients can be mixed using the Mix Window to create a Fire Essence. You are now on your way to becoming a skilled Alchemist. Take your Fire Essence and return to the Tutorial NPC on Isle Prima.

[Corren] [Job] [bye]

Tutorial NPC

[New Tutorial] Have you talked to Kalana and learned what she had to tell you?

[Yes] (fire essence in inventory)There are a number of places on Isle Prima where you can harvest Branches or Logs. Please go get some and return.

[New Tutorial] Do you have some Raw Meat, a Fire Essence, and some Branches or Logs with you now?

[Yes] (raw meat, fire essence, logs or branches in inventory) Great. I will now teach you how to light a fire and cook meat for food. Go to the Fire Pit in the center of the Island. Use the "Use With" icon to use the branches or logs on the fire. Then use the Fire Essence on the logs to light the fire. You can then use the raw meat on the fire to cook it. Return to me with a Cooked Meat when you are done.

[New Tutorial] Have you learned how to cook meat for food?

[[Yes] [No] [Help] [Heal-Me] [bye]

[Yes] (cooked meat in inventory) You now know how to work on Alchemy and provide your own food. Good luck in your future activities. As a reward for your hard work I have placed 100 Health Essence in your storage so you can begin to work on the Magic skill.

[Help] [Heal-Me] [bye]

Nice one bkc56! Makes me want to write some quests too! Maybe someone should make a topic in the Stories section for proposed quest ideas. Get everyone's juices flowing. :D

Nice one bkc56! Makes me want to write some quests too! Maybe someone should make a topic in the Stories section for proposed quest ideas. Get everyone's juices flowing. :D

That's not the process, Koss. We have a quest team waiting on call for when quests are needed.