Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sir_Exeus

change TD back to normal...

Why is it so hard to make a map were it judges combat levels. Like you can only fight somone with in 10 combat lvl's or so of you. Seems easy.

So do it then.

I :evilgrin: TD, and the 1sec cooldown. :P:icon13:

#Edit - Added smileys.

Edited by Chosen

I think the problem with TD is the huge gap in a/d. Few years

ago, top 200 were like 50s or 60s or so iirc. Today, 100s or so,

and near 120s for top 100. Meaning that the risk a person takes

relative to their level is skewed towards the high level end. Lower

players would have to risk more armor and weapon, while higher

level players could go in naked to check nor low level fighters

with no risks other than losing some pki.

Instead of changing back to normal TD, perhaps you could consider

having the map do a linear transformation onto the atk/def lvl so

that the levels of all players are near equal.

<snipped blah blah>

If this were to be done to a/d, then what's the point of training?

invasion monsters, and hunting for good drop, and also for those

who are racing for top ranking, safety to hydro mining and other pk maps,

monster ignore, etc.

any conflicts?

Without cooldown (including that of JSoC, etc.) and all the other "special" weapons, it becomes more a matter of PK skill. Assuming two players in leather armor and tit longs, no armor/weapons requiring above 4 human nexus: Player70 (at 70 a/d) can kill Player100 (at 100 a/d) by using actual fighting skill (not just the numbers it says next to a level) -- deciding what items and spells to equip and use, precision timing of when, etc.

edit: changed "serps" to tit longs (forgot to after changing nexus from 5 to 4 in my initial post, for the purpose of excluding CoL)

Edited by asgnny

yes conavar and pyewacket you two brought a good point about players fear dropping items. perhaps this could be tweaked a bit such as only dropping certain items such as gears you are wearing only (this is only an example and of course i realize the downside such as a player could quickly take off gear right before dying) or all wearable gears in inventory has the chance to be dropped.

to asgnny, i have nothing to say better than you about old skills, although i never realize how useful jsoc is on ndd in td; since fights last so long at least one hit should be a cooldown.

to tempest, i think the current discussion is nothing related to the topic name and is no longer a discussion to revert td back to normal. it's more like a discussion to add onto the current td.

finally, i do agree with the number of you who feel that multiple changes are required and i'd like to clarify that changes that i talked about are not meant to be done solo.

i feel like i could be percieved as one of those complaining that pk is dead. but i'm really not and i do understand that it is not too hard to find people above 110s in kf, just not on every visits; based on random checks and not including cases of sitting in votd all day for pk. just getting everyone to think and get everyone's thoughts.

changing td back to normal won't help at all imo, pretty much any suggestion about pk didn't help.

Pretty much any suggestion about PK doesn't get implemented, so how would we know if they'd help?

Why is it so hard to make a map were it judges combat levels. Like you can only fight somone with in 10 combat lvl's or so of you. Seems easy.

So do it then.

kk email me the current, complete server source code, i'll get my in-house developer right on it :D:P:brooding:

Pk isnt rly dead, you saw how many people went to PK on NDD, plenty of action just not on normal days. whatever the reason is.

Why is it so hard to make a map were it judges combat levels. Like you can only fight someone with in 10 combat lvl's or so of you. Seems easy.
I suggested something similar to this, but more flexible, in reply to the thread on "A field for low lvlpkers". It would be simple enough to code as a test applied when a character tries to initiate combat with a target; but would have to be server-side.

Update -- Outline and update of the original suggestion in the aforementioned thread:

Basically, to initiate combat against a target, the following must be true:

your
attack
is
less than
the target's
defence
plus
modifier

Furthermore, a "dummy" attack roll is then made between you and the target, which must succeed for combat to be initiated. This protects newbies from accidentally initiating combat with stupidly superior opponents.

modifier can be positive or negative, and may be determined by a number of components and aspects of the target:

• law level of the area. Current PK & non-PK areas would have strong values, say -100 and +100 respectively. Otherwise, closer to civilisation, the higher the law level, and the more wild the lower. law level should, for the most, vary gradually across a map to reflect the nature of the areas -- stay on the path and you will be safe!
  • equipment modifiers reflect how "up for a fight" you look. If you wander around the streets in full dragon plate and carrying a huge flaming sword, then you are more of a legitimate target than a monk in a robe. This also adds a role playing incentive to put away your weapons and dress appropriately when in civilisation.
  • outlaw level as mentioned above appears as another character property or attribute, but is not increased (or decreased) by experience or pick points, but by other means (to be determined, but possibly linked to karma). Like an attribute, outlaw level has a base value, and a current (applicable) value which drifts back towards the base at 1 point/minute.

outlaw level can be temporarily adjusted by a number of events:

• Initiating a combat adds something (say +10).
    • Rogue- or thief-like activities, if they become available.

Note that your current outlaw level shouldn't be detectable by other players.

• area effects if they become available. For example, if you are in range of a Guard then this effectively increases the law level. There could also be area effect spells which cause calm or rage, and an area undergoing an invasion must have a decreased law level.
  • politics can give you casus belli, which can be guild or deity based; intra-guild relationship could add a modifier, as could ranks in opposing temples.

Note that all these modifiers apply with respect to the target. This is deliberate; it would be to easy to exploit a system in which the attacker could increase their opportunity to start a fight!

Similar mechanisms could be applied to other PvP activities; attacking with summons, hostile magic, and now ranged attacks. I think that the modifiers above are generic enough to still apply to these other forms of interaction, though with different sets of skill & attributes being contested.

Edited by trollson