Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Pets implementation

3 points:

- about pet leveling, i'm all for mp idea. Remove pet exp stone (for fighter pet at least) and let them lvl by fighting in pk maps, reduce xp gained with food.

- Can they summon for you given the ingrs? (clearly based on the owner summon lvl...)

- Resummon and resurrection stones will be makable under summoning skill?

@mp

I told maybe vice versa too, because we dont know many things about this pet, will he be able to flee and follow his master if the master flees the battle, will he be able to teleport, and so on.

To avoid ppl competing with newbies over rabbit/goblin spawns pet could lvl only on pk maps from killing normal not-summoned monsters( to avoid abusing it on private guild maps when some1 could just summon rabbits for fast kills).

PK maps have wide range of creatures from male goblins to giants, and u could help pet with killing monsters as long as ur pet deals the last blow( u could use ur sword, spells or summons to weaken its opponent, u can always ask friends to help u too :laugh:

That's a good idea, especially for the fighter pet (which I would assume will be used mainly for PKing).

Speaking of which, maybe the fighter pets should not be able to level more than the owner (a+d)/20

So to have a level 10 (max) fighter pet, you'd need 100 a/d.

A possible consequence would be that the strongest players who can hardly find an even match now would be walking around with the strongest pets, resulting in even less fights :)

Since pet development and leveling seem to be quite resource consuming, they should not be dependant on player's a/d. That would allow to "specialize" in pet usage while not only being top fighter. Fighting pet would be a great aid for non-fighter characters, helping them to gather animal/monster resources for instance. Fighting pet could possibly become a useful protection against Leonard for harvesters willing to level it and not necessarily willing to level their a/d.

If player stats should limit pet development at all, the limits should be based on OA, not on a/d.

Edit: added last sentence

Edited by Cruella

To avoid ppl competing with newbies over rabbit/goblin spawns pet could lvl only on pk maps from killing normal not-summoned monsters( to avoid abusing it on private guild maps when some1 could just summon rabbits for fast kills).

PK maps have wide range of creatures from male goblins to giants, and u could help pet with killing monsters as long as ur pet deals the last blow( u could use ur sword, spells or summons to weaken its opponent, u can always ask friends to help u too :)

That's a good idea, especially for the fighter pet (which I would assume will be used mainly for PKing).

Speaking of which, maybe the fighter pets should not be able to level more than the owner (a+d)/20

So to have a level 10 (max) fighter pet, you'd need 100 a/d.

A possible consequence would be that the strongest players who can hardly find an even match now would be walking around with the strongest pets, resulting in even less fights :)

Since pet development and leveling seem to be quite resource consuming, they should not be dependant on player's a/d. That would allow to "specialize" in pet usage while not only bein top fighter. Fighting pet would be a great aid for non-fighter characters, helping them to gather animal/monster resources for instance. Fighting pet could possibly become a useful protection against Leonard for harvesters willing to level it and not necessarily willing to level their a/d.

So than should pkers get a harvesting and manuing pet???

sorry for being offtopic

As I understand from Ent's answer above, a player will be able to have multiple pets, although will be able to use one at the time. So yes, in order to create a wider base for pets, they coul be "task oriented", not "player class" oriented.

I'm sure while that not fighting, fighters will be using harvesting pets, so why harvesters shouldn't be able to use tge fighting ones?

MAKE PK POINTS BE WORTH SOMETHING PLEASE.

How about training option which uses your PK points to train your "PK pet", trade in lets say:

1 pk point for lvl 1, then;

2 pk points for lvl 2, then;

3 pk points for lvl 3 then;

4 pk points for lvl 4 etc

Would require people obtain pk points by errr... PKing? then they can spend them on thier pets training.

Maybe other training options discussed by others could still be available but even then PK points would still be required to lvl the "PK Pet" though less.

Question:

How strong will a lvl 10 pk pet be? Dragon strong would be just too crazy, but fluffy strong is way too weak.

Offtopic a bit:

P2P pets should be stronger/better than in game obtained ones. ie. thermal serp = best in game weapon (only available from shop atm). P2P pet = best pet to have due to extra functions/abilities.

Maybe incorporate limited p2p mule capacity so to become "must have item" for non-pk players.

P.S PK Pets should be able to pk for thier "owners" in lvl limited pk arenas so i dont have to lvl an Alt to do it :)

aka omg

Edited by godwyn

My 2 Euro cent

Two kinds of fighting pets

1 - PK pet

can comply with the original idea, using stones to level and specific animals. the prices can be maintained

will level faster to be able to follow the owner into pk maps

usage of pk points idea (godwin)

2 - Training pet

levels only on xp, without stones. needs to be trained to fight each animal before he can do it

pet price 10-20kgc (idea from training arrows/pk arrows price ratio)

I don't like the book suggestion (Karalyn), although it is easier to implement, I would prefer a training school. you would pay a gc fee for each hour you spent there training you creature, the higher creature you want you pet to fight, the longer and more expensive it becomes.

(not as expensive)x(more people using them)=(also a high money sinker)

I don't pk but would like to have a pet, like me probably a lot more people, but the prices presented are out of what i consider reasonable when i train 1 out of every 50 hours i spend playing Eternal Lands.

The pet should also be healed by it's master and not by itself. Specific potions and spells.

I don't like the inventory idea on a fighting pet. If you can have several pets, although only using one at a time, each pet should have it's function. Fighting pets to fight, mule pets to mule.

NPC quest idea to get the last leveling point (Troger) is very interesting.

Guest szk

So now its time for my 2 euros.

1. Pets should be cheaper (about 30-50k) and a player should make a quest to obtain it.

2. When pet die - player have some limited time (maybe 30min or 2 in-game hours) to ressurect it or pet will be lost forever - thanks to that ppl should spend some more money and caution to his pets. As far as te eggs are cheap ppl will accept this i guess :)

3. Maybe some exception from 2. for PK pets.. (teleport pet corpse to non-pk place? some kind of Pets Isla Prima where you should go to resurrect pet)

4. All the pet items should be in owner inventory - if you want to equip pet with armor -> put it in your inventory and set some flag (like 'sto' when trading near storage?)

4.5 There should be some specific potions for pets (maybe less cooldown?)

This way owner will have to choose what to take before going to grind - take pots for me or for my pet? ^^

And since pet will not have own inventory theres no way to mule anything

The ideea with the price is to prevent everybody to buy pets, because we RL peoples are designed by our God that way that we want to show everything that we got, and we all would go with our pets to harvent to the storages and event to the toilet, just to show others that we have a pet, and how cool we are! And more actors means more Lagg more Lagg means less fun!

Maybe it shouldent be separated the pker pet from fighter pet, they will do the same, aka fighting and serving their master.

As I think 200k is not that big money, if you make 20 hydrogenium bars you allready can buy that bloody pet, and you can train him.

edit: just my 2 bani!

Edited by Troger

1. You buy a pet egg (later on, it might be manufacturable under summoning, but not sure about it yet).

The price of the egg will be high, perhaps around 100-200K, to prevent everyone from getting it and overcrowd the game with pets.

4. The pet will be around for a limited time, and will require pet food. For example, 1 minute of the pet being around will cost 1 food item. The food price will have to be determined, probably something like 100 gc.

11. Leveling up: This is the tricky part, where I want some feedback. There will be a few things to help level the fighter pet:

a. Food. The more time he is around, the more he will be able to level.

b. Pet exp stones (which will increase the pet exp), and will be buyable from the NPC.

c. Killing enemies. There should be a way to avoid people with pets competing with newbies over the rabbit-goblin spawns, so perhaps only stronger monsters than the pet will count for exp. purposes.

Probably, a level will take all 3 of the above mentioned things. For example, to move to level 2, a pet will need to be summoned for at least 1 hour, kill 20 monsters, and get 10 pet exp stones. Of course, the numbers are PIOMA (pulled in out of my ass), and they will need some careful consideration.

1: I would personally make the "fighter pet" egg only buyable from an npc, maybe later on with other specific pets (mules) they can be manufacutred .

4: Be nice if the food was also a harvestable only in PK maps ( to give fighters,pkers an income they lost when mercury became makable and to make the maps more used)

11: Some good ideas have already been mentioned, and the book idea is great.,

Maybe each pet level over 1 should require a seperate book:

Eg: Pets can train from level 0-1 , after level 1 they gain no xp until there owner has read :"Pet training level 2" etc etc

Book prices could be : 2k for level 2 , 3k for level 3 and so on.

I dont think Pet xp stones should work for fighter pets ( maybe others) , they should only get xp through well fighting.

If I have read the topic right, then pets will only level there pet OA and a/d will advance when that does, so why not make every animal have "pet xp", and this would just be a basic amount of xp the pets get when the creature is killed regardless of the amount of hits/blocks done.

ie: Rabbits are worth 5xp, beavers 6xp , deers 8xp etc etc

Edited by conavar

Guest szk
The ideea with the price is to prevent everybody to buy pets, because we RL peoples are designed by our God that way that we want to show everything that we got, and we all would go with our pets to harvent to the storages and event to the toilet, just to show others that we have a pet, and how cool we are! And more actors means more Lagg more Lagg means less fun!

Maybe it shouldent be separated the pker pet from fighter pet, they will do the same, aka fighting and serving their master.

As I think 200k is not that big money, if you make 20 hydrogenium bars you allready can buy that bloody pet, and you can train him.

edit: just my 2 bani!

Ok, so i agree with high price but still i think that pet should really die when some kind of resurrection timelimit hit.

Otherwise when eggs become manufacturable there will be not so big demand on them (how many people will want to have more than 1-2 pet from the same type?..)

Hmm.. just crazy idea:

Maybe to "manufacture" an egg there will be need to have 2 pets from the same race (race, not class) - male+female ;P

The child could take: ( Parent1.level + Parent2.level ) / 4

so for 6lvl male and 6lvl female child will start from 3lvl ;P ( (6+6)/4 )

This could force owners to have at least 2 pets.. but i don't know what could happen if one make egg from fighter and mule pet.. some kind of hybrid? ;P

It would be great if pets can make comments like Leonard on the event channel, and probably can learn some poses/gestures etc.

It is really interesting, this idea... I wanted to post about it nearly THREE years ago (!!). It is good to see that some people think similar. :rolleyes: Please note i had this whole text before this thread started, so I apologize if the scope is wider than required.

Introduction

Well, apart from excellent ideas presented in original Radu's message, here are some additional ones that I think would definitely improve the game. Please note that some of ideas below do not quite fit the EL game, because we still do not have notion of elementals, for an instance (yes, we have some specific types of damages that can be related to elementals). So ideas below might need some "polishing". But please do not discard them just because some additional work needs to be done in order to have them as explained.

A special pet - dragon.

Like all other pets (read text below about pets), the dragon pet starts as a baby. However, since this pet is the most powerful one (supposed to be), it feeds with special, dragon food.

Dragon food varies, and depending which one pet owner buys (should be expensive, where the least expensive food can be bought only from NPC), the dragon can have some special, additional points (attack, defence, accuracy, etc).

This pet is special when it come to other things as well.

It needs/can be fed only once a day, with food mentioned above. Once fed it will not be hungry for the rest of the day.

Dragon can evolve into few different directions (in other words makes different kind of special damage) - earth, water, fire, air (elementals).

Every day pet owner can do training, which requires an item of special kind (lets call it "pet trainer" item). Training can be done ONLY ONCE a day, like feeding. When training is done (basically takes few seconds), pet owner can specify where to put the training point which is earned. Training points can go to: attack, defence, accuracy, speed, various types of damages, etc. (up to develeopers).

"Pet trainer" item should be expensive, and available for manufacturing.

Other pets

Other pets should follow the same pattern. They start as baby <something> (Example: "Baby Tiger") and evolve into a big something. All of them can follow the same pattern, or similar, as the dragon explained above.

There is, however a big difference. - Each creature has it's primary, and secondary "nature". Or, maybe the better term would be - it belogs to various elementals. Some creatures are "creatures of fire", others of Earth, some of Water, others of Air, and they make "fire damage", "earth damage", "water damage", or "air damage", depending of their "nature".

Giving certain abilities to the owner

This is yet another, IMHO good, idea... What if developed pets can give some attributes back to the owner. Certain pets should have their natural abilities boosted up. Example: Falcon, Hawk and all birds should have better perception (they see better). So, when pet is around, owner has certain percent of it's abilities (in falcon's case - percent of it's perception). Same with other pets.

Other pet abilities

Pet's should be able to perform some magical actions, at certain levels. Heal (owner or itself), stunn (for 2-3 moves) the opponent, poison opponent, harm opponent, and so on.

It all depends how owner trains it.

Taming skill

This is yet another idea that is related somehow to the pet idea.

- What if we have another skill - taming. It would enable skilled players to TAME some creature, and make a pet out of it (it becomes an item!). After creature is "pet-ified", owner of this item would be able to SELL it as a pet to other players. Why is this good? - Because then players would not begin with babies, but with some adult creatures as their pets.

Potential scenario: Let's say recommended level for Tiger taming would be "taming level 40", and player has, let's say taming level 50. (S)he tames a tiger, and makes a "Tiger Pet" item out of it, which goes into his inventory (non stackable item, naturally). After that, this item is sold on the market (or to NPC), and other player can start immediately using this creature as her/his pet.

Fighting

Pet's should fight in a fashion similar to summoned creatures.

But having a pet should not IMHO just having an "additional hand" in fighting, but also, as noted above, pet's should give owner certain abilities of theirs. I would say 20% of their natural abilities should be "transferred" to the owner. So, if pet has rationality 20, owner would have an additional 4 rationality points. Similar to other attributes, and attributes only!

Pets should also do different types of attacks, depending on their "natural" type. I would like very much to see pets who fly to be able to drop something on opponents. Dragons could drop some explosive items, birds their eggs. Monsters could throw rocks on opponents, or axes!

Please note that everything i wrote above is in some way related to fighting, both directly, or indirectly.

Evaluation

An important question might be asked - Why is this a good idea?

IMHO, this would motivate players to come back to the game. This is the base idea for all i have explained in this post. Because pet need to be fed every day (EL day!), players would have to log on every day and feed it. Pet would NOT die if not fed, but it would not be able to train that day as well!

Secondly, pet without training is not worthy of wasting time - thus, players would spend additional time, and gold coins (buying pet-food), in order to train their pets.

- So, players who play the game a lot would be rewarded.

Pet development should definitely become "specialized" - ie to give some special abilities to creatures we already have in the game, especially with regard to the taming skill i explained in the previous section.

Edited by Dejan

Dejan, your ideas are not bad, but:

1. Increasing the owner stuff if the pet is around.

The mere fact that a player has a pet around, that can attack the enemy, is, I think, an advantage enough. Increasing perception and stuff might be too much.

2. Having to feed it only once a day.

Then the pets would stay around when not needed, so that people cna show off, and would add more lag to the game.

3. Feeding the pet with some 'exp'.

This would make things too easy, having to kill stuff adds more challange.

4. Taming

There's been an idea to implement such a skill, but if you cna tame animals then summoning won't be so used anymore.

#1) Fair enough.

Still, it could be good to have attribute increase at some point. I think people should have reward if they spend days feeding and training their pets. Reward in a sense that their pet is not "just there", but also can do wondrous things. :) This will definitely motivate players more to work on their pets.

#2) Yes, I did not finalize that idea, so please let me add some more stuff to it. No - I never thought pets should stay in the game after players leave. It should be too much I think, and would significantly increase number of special actors in the game.

To summarize:

Pet should be equipped in order to be in the game. If owner leaves the game, so does the pet.

#3) Why don't we mix both ideas here? Pet can also train via normal fight, and would naturally do this (i guess main reason for having a pet would be the fight and hunt) - in this case pet would gain a/d (i would like magic as well), when owner "trains it" (as explained in my text) every day, by spending items i simply called "pet-training items" (we need better name here), owner would be able to change attributes of the pet (p/c/w ...). It would be up to you guys to decide how many days of training is required for additional pickpoint for the pet.

However, if you guys focus pets primarily to fighting (which is not a bad point either), than pet's should gain attributes (pickpoints --> attributes) only by gaining a/d points. In this case please ignore everything i said pet-training.

I would definitely like to see at least the elemental idea implemented (so different pet makes different type of damage, depending on it's nature).

#4) I think it just looks like summoning. Fundamentally these two are totally different. I am summoner in game (my primary skill i would say), and i would gladly have both. :)

Here are some important differences:

Tamed creatures are long lived, summoned creatures have very short period of life.

Taming is a long process (visually it should look like player uses a rope bound to the creature, which tries to escape, or something similar, while tame skills are gained); on contrary, summoning is a very short process.

When player starts taming, and attempt breaks, creature will attack it. In summoning our summoned creatures never attack us.

And many more... I do not want to stay off-topic by giving more details about taming here. We should start another thread for it if you would like to "hear" more about it.

Kind regards

Edited by Dejan

It needs/can be fed only once a day, with food mentioned above. Once fed it will not be hungry for the rest of the day.

My RL pet would murder me in my sleep if I only fed him once a day. Should be the same as players I think.

You are an old EL player, and as such should have learned by now that quite often the game does not reflect real life. :)

Maybe if it kills something, it gets food points based on the size of the creature? Maybe steals some raw meat if that creature drops it?

<snip>

The way I see the pets is like this:

1. You buy a pet egg (later on, it might be manufacturable under summoning, but not sure about it yet).

The price of the egg will be high, perhaps around 100-200K, to prevent everyone from getting it and overcrowd the game with pets.

<snip>

Good idea up to the manufacturable part: you make the price high to keep it limited so as not to affect server performance. However, it "could" become a manufacturable item. I see your performance problem arising very soon if this happens. Let me please state my case:

Since EL essentially has but one type of coin(gc), the value of that coin is pretty well diminished. Everyone has complained of the broken player's economy. Many items in the game have fallen far below any type of reasonable value. Money sinks have been implemented to to try and drain so much of the gc from the game, and so far without much success.

If these pet eggs become a manufacturable item, competition in the marketplace between players attempting to make the sale of these eggs will significantly drive their cost down increasing the amount of players who now have pets, and ultimately degrading server performance.

If you keep this idea and product an NPC only item and keep the price high, you will achieve keeping these pets limited to those players who have the gc to buy them.

That only leaves you with complaints from players who have a sense of entitlement.

sounds like a good idea, but it would be easier to make a fighting pet viable for PK to have it lvl just like players, this way high lvl pk'ers dont end up with a pet that gets 1 or 2 hitted, or noobs with a pet thats stronger then themselves.

that the pet will only be around for a set period of time doesnt sound to good imo, have it stay with you till it dies sounds better.

besides that would be nice if we could name the pet, have it learn ability's like bite / scratch / slash at certain lvl's

sry Hardcore missed this in the thread..who suggested theyre time limited? Radu posted that theyre forever if they dont die or are resurrected didnt he? :)

I think a fusion of pipers ideas with some of the others on here, will make a perfect mix. Hardcore is right that high level pkers shouldnt have pets die in 1-2 hits but I think that wont(shouldnt) happen if the pkers have taken the time to level their pet up as per pipers 3 tiered system (if its implemented).

read point 4 of the 1st post.

if he stated later on in the topic that it wouldnt be around for a limited time i didnt read it. just read 1st post and replied.

I personally don't like the idea of the "exp stones", simply because its a fighting pet. If the owner wants the fighting pet to be stronger, it needs to fight. I like the rest of how you've thought about the level-ups though.

I have to agree about the exp stones i think levels should be earned by fighting not buying them (no offense) or at least mostly that way. also although i personally dont pk i think it would be ok to pk your pet if you knew the risk and i do think that if your pet dies it will lose a kill then the one that wins will gain a kill. and i love the idea of higher level pets needing more food or harder to find food maybe. I also think maybe some comman food could be harvested but maybe have some foods that will hold hunger off longer bought. I love the idea of the books because almost everything else in the game needs books why not learning how to take care of you pet by book? and i do think they should be pet specific. Next i want to say i think fighter pets would be very useful for harvesters so instead of having your att def limit you pets lv it should be based on how long you have it and how much effort you are willing to put into leveling it.

Edited by Davania

....snip

read point 4 of the 1st post.

if he stated later on in the topic that it wouldnt be around for a limited time i didnt read it. just read 1st post and replied.

Ah ok..then point 4 needs clarifying against radus last point on the fourth post of his on page 2, which states that pets will last forever. Sorry for the confusion but..well...its confusing still as to which it will be until Radu decides for certain one way or t'other. I can only assume that at this point it could go either way since its still very much at the ideas stage.

You are an old EL player, and as such should have learned by now that quite often the game does not reflect real life. :)

You are also an old EL player and as such should has learned by now that quite often the game DOES reflect real life. In fact theres been a thread made about it, whereas I have not yet seen a thread made about how EL doesnt etc etc. Maybe I should use search? :)

I don't think leveling up pets only on pk areas is a good idea. Not everyone in the game is a pk'er.

Also I don't really appreciate the idea of making them super expensive, aren't there enough advantages for the old-timers?? Noobs honestly have a long, difficult road as it is (You have to really love this game to stick with it, it's very time consuming). The "exp stones" also clearly benefit the old-timers who are swimming in gc's. They should ONLY level through active participation (such as eating and fighting)

I think certain maps could have animals that can only be attacked by pets.

Maybe there could be "pet food depots" where you harvest pet food, so they have different food from the characters.

...the old-timers who are swimming in gc's.

No offense, but this is a total myth. In EL, you are always broke, no matter, how long have you been playing :P

Since EL essentially has but one type of coin(gc), the value of that coin is pretty well diminished. Everyone has complained of the broken player's economy. Many items in the game have fallen far below any type of reasonable value. Money sinks have been implemented to to try and drain so much of the gc from the game, and so far without much success.

LOL

You don't know much about economy, do you?