Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
roswell_r

EL Internet Radio

Would you listen to it?

Im curious as to whether a Eternal-Lands community run internet radio station would be used and how many people would use it? Please submit your interest in this thread. The EL-Radio would be based on the current EL Music soundtracks (providing permission is approved from the artists) and will tie into alot of the game's content. Features such as the following could be implimented:

Invasion Warning: (metadata scrolling detailing the current invasion, where & how many creatures left) and while this is in play battle music sound tracks could be played.

Market Commercials: (metadata ascrolling detailing prices of items and who's selling what) or be played through audio as a proper radio commercial.

Guild Commercials: Guilds are already doing short video's for recruitment and advertisement of their guilds, a radio commercial could do just the same played in-between songs.

The radio could be community driven, supported by donations of in-game gc and real $ if applicable. Commercials could even be created using AT&T labs TTS demo.

What are your opinions? do you have any ideas or feedback?

Edit: Special day announcements, new hour announcements. Alot of these features are already in-game I know.

Edited by roswell_r

Sounds abit complicated. I don't know if it's been discussed before but i'd be interested in an EL related web radio. Would be alot more simple than having one ingame.

I'm not sure this will attract lots of attention, and there is at least one (technical) problem I can see initially:

- If you do create an internet radio for EL, Isn't it going to get a bit tedious broadcasting the same music (soundtrack) over and over? I can understand how day warnings/invasions would work, but why expend more bandwidth on listening to a radio on-line when you can simply read (or see) what's happening in-game? Market channel announcements would be useful too, but we already have EternalBroker, Rrasia and Trinitybot to oversee the majority of our commerce needs. Still, it would be cool, "[Player x] is selling 400 Health Essences for 10GC each... That's highway robbery!"

Alternatively, Outlaw announcements could be made. Like people listening to escaped prisoner announcements, "Warning! Annihilation is guilty of scamming/BJing and general n00b-like behaviour."

- Would dial-up users (I'm not sure if they're the majority of EL users, though...) be able to listen and play with a comfortable FPS/ping? I use a broadband connection, but thanks to Norton 360*, playing EL while surfing reduces my FPS somewhat (<10 FFS! If I could purchase three/four gigabytes of RAM for a laptop running Vista, I would!), when playing, I prefer to run nothing but my EL client. Although I guess it's not just dial-up users, people with medium-to-low end computers would, I imagine, find it more of a pain than a convinence.

*Please note: Don't ever purchase Norton 360 with a PC running Vista. Unless you: A) Possess a machine that's powerful enough to have it's own Hal 9000 camera eye, or can store -- at least -- a yottabyte of information. B ) Never plan to use the fucking-thing.

Reason for Edit: Missed out some stuff.

Edited by Aphistolas

I have seen something like this happen for another online game (although with a much larger userbase). They did a web-radio session, only once per week (friday night at 8 or something) with some music but mostly discussing game related topics. The one "hosting" the radio did interviews with some developers about certain game aspects or changes, discussed recent events with some of the more well-known people, announced some news and stuff.

This would certainly also be possible for EL: interviews with Radu and Roja about various topics would be very interesting (like on ent's blog; future plans, economy, what worked out and what didn't, etc), talking with map-makers about some of their maps, talking with event organizers/participants/winners about the event, maybe even talk with some guild leaders about changes in their political stance towards other guilds or guild wars, whatever ... I think there'd be enough content for 2 hours per month, or maybe one hour per week. I for one would certainly tune in to add voices to some names :)

Cheers,

maj

I have seen something like this happen for another online game (although with a much larger userbase). They did a web-radio session, only once per week (friday night at 8 or something) with some music but mostly discussing game related topics. The one "hosting" the radio did interviews with some developers about certain game aspects or changes, discussed recent events with some of the more well-known people, announced some news and stuff.

This would certainly also be possible for EL: interviews with Radu and Roja about various topics would be very interesting (like on ent's blog; future plans, economy, what worked out and what didn't, etc), talking with map-makers about some of their maps, talking with event organizers/participants/winners about the event, maybe even talk with some guild leaders about changes in their political stance towards other guilds or guild wars, whatever ... I think there'd be enough content for 2 hours per month, or maybe one hour per week. I for one would certainly tune in to add voices to some names :)

Cheers,

maj

This would be awesome. Would love this to happen, it would be very interesting.

- Would dial-up users (I'm not sure if they're the majority of EL users, though...) be able to listen and play with a comfortable FPS/ping? I use a broadband connection, but thanks to Norton 360*, playing EL while surfing reduces my FPS somewhat (<10 FFS! If I could purchase three/four gigabytes of RAM for a laptop running Vista, I would!), when playing, I prefer to run nothing but my EL client. Although I guess it's not just dial-up users, people with medium-to-low end computers would, I imagine, find it more of a pain than a convinence.

Unfortunately with the smallest bitrate of 24 it would not allow dialup users to listen to the radio aswell as play the game. It would get boring running the same songs over and over again.

This would certainly also be possible for EL: interviews with Radu and Roja about various topics would be very interesting (like on ent's blog; future plans, economy, what worked out and what didn't, etc), talking with map-makers about some of their maps, talking with event organizers/participants/winners about the event, maybe even talk with some guild leaders about changes in their political stance towards other guilds or guild wars, whatever ... I think there'd be enough content for 2 hours per month, or maybe one hour per week. I for one would certainly tune in to add voices to some names :laugh:

Would this be better as a podcast then a internet radio?