Eternal Lands Official Forums
scarr

private channels

could we have some private channels or something? with a password.. so u can invite people etc

that be awesome..maby buy it at npc? or something

With over 1 billion (one thousand million) channels I hardly think this is necessary.

People just have to learn not to type @@wherever for that channel.

#jc wherever

@hi secret channel

@@3 buying stuff (I am not a bot)

@@4 n00b roflmao

@@4 eep a mod

@so players on secret channel who here thinks I am great?

@hello..

@anyone??

@ha ha funny guys.

@@4 So who hates cavern walls?

By setting your default channel to the secret channel you may end up sending messages meant for other channels to it, but you will avoid sending messages meant for it to market.

could we have some private channels or something? with a password.. so u can invite people etc

that be awesome..maby buy it at npc? or something

Invite people and swear their mom's??? :bow_arrow:

Ofc.

-Kad

You can do that on any unofficial channel too.

Just keep the channel number secret and dont tell it in public.

And if, by accident, someone enters your private channel, just leave and choose another one and tell all your friends, you want in that channel in PM/via gossip.

A password protected channel might be a nice feature, but i dont see that big benefit from having them.

Piper

*bump*

I would like to see ' invatation only' channels for a group of friends besides my own guild. It is very annoying to tell everyone our new channel number when someone mischannels and have idiots trying to ruin our fun and conversation because they think it is funny.

*bump*

I would like to see ' invatation only' channels for a group of friends besides my own guild. It is very annoying to tell everyone our new channel number when someone mischannels and have idiots trying to ruin our fun and conversation because they think it is funny.

Set as default? No chance to mischannel the location of your top secret hideout?

C'mon, there still is no single reason to make something like 'chat chambers' or w/e it's called in some other fancy mmorpg.

*bump*

Set as default? No chance to mischannel the location of your top secret hideout?

C'mon, there still is no single reason to make something like 'chat chambers' or w/e it's called in some other fancy mmorpg.

I would agree with vanyel, but when i have a look at channel 6 and see how many ppl there can't properly post in channels od do #gm's, i might think, that the idea of password protected channels might be useful...

A suggestion:

When you join a channel with a number above, lets say, 10.000 or so, you can type #protect_channel [PASSWD] to protect this one channel with a password.

the server hosts a table with like 1024 entries of password protected channels.

Everytime someone posts in such a channel, the timestamp in the channel table is overwritten with the current timestamp.

If no one posts in such a channel for, lets say, 72 hours, the channel is removed from the table and is not password protected anymore.

A modification of the #jc command would be needed, that it asks you for a password, if you want to join such a channel.

But thats it. If somehow someone you don't want to have inside your channel, choose another one (which would only be the case, if you tell someone the password by accident).

So no need for further password management, if someone gets the password you wont like to have in that channel, choose a new one.

Piper

*bump*

I would agree with vanyel, but when i have a look at channel 6 and see how many ppl there can't properly post in channels od do #gm's, i might think, that the idea of password protected channels might be useful...

I don't really see any way it would help them. What I can imagine, though, is a constant spam of "password retrival" whine :P

I guess something like #cl - channel list would be enough ...

That way you could see who is on your current active channel.

But maybe some paging / filtering would have to be applied when the total number of people on that channel exceeds 20 people for example.

I guarantee you most of those misposts are not mis-posts... but intentional oopses.

When you join a channel with a number above, lets say, 10.000 or so, you can type #protect_channel [PASSWD] to protect this one channel with a password.

So if an issue is that someone mis-posts to "go to uber secret #jc 1234567"... then what is to stop them from mis-posting to "go to uber secret #jc 987654 with password uber"?

It should be reversed - essentially you can't join unless invited. Which won't stop people mis-posting on to other channels, but would prevent people from joining the channel without approval.

It should be reversed - essentially you can't join unless invited. Which won't stop people mis-posting on to other channels, but would prevent people from joining the channel without approval.

This would be a great option, but there should always be a range of free channels aswell for people that don't see a use for this feature. That way both parties are satisfied :)

Edited by DonC

I guess something like #cl - channel list would be enough ...

That way you could see who is on your current active channel.

I think this would be useful, but I don't see the need for private channels - the point has already been made about there being many thousands of channels to choose from.

I think you can PM those you trust and tell them the channel - in your guild or otherwise.

If one of these people then informs someone untrustworthy and tells them the channel number, well, a password would not change that (they would presumably tell them the password anyway).

I think this would be useful, but I don't see the need for private channels - the point has already been made about there being many thousands of channels to choose from.

I think you can PM those you trust and tell them the channel - in your guild or otherwise.

If one of these people then informs someone untrustworthy and tells them the channel number, well, a password would not change that (they would presumably tell them the password anyway).

Indeed.

If you want to know if uninvited people come onto a channel and there was an option to see people who come onto a non-standard channel (turned off by default), then you could do #announce_visitors (for a possible command) to tell you when people join/leave the channel. This would be pretty similar to IRC (internet relay chat) systems.

I guarantee you most of those misposts are not mis-posts... but intentional oopses.

So if an issue is that someone mis-posts to "go to uber secret #jc 1234567"... then what is to stop them from mis-posting to "go to uber secret #jc 987654 with password uber"?

I agree, that there are intentional misposts/oopses in channel 6, and not only there, but i would deny, thats that the majoriy of *misposts*.

By doing so, one would agree, that the average IQ of a poster in channel 6 is higher than the one of a dried slice of bread, and that i would really deny ;)

About inviting players, thats a nice idea. #invite [PLAYERNAME] [CHANNELNUMBER]

But then we need a command to create a private channel where you can invite players.

Like, choose a channel above 10.000, then type there #private, then you are the owner of that private channel and can invite players intho that channel using the #invite command.

Maybe there should be a range of which channels you can declare as private, like 10.000 to 20.000, and a private channel, which was inactive for 3 months or so, loses it's private status, something like that..

Piper

Edited by The_Piper

I find it somewhat ridiculous. If somebody isn't able to keep their top secret channel number a secret they derserve no help.

Set as a default - it prevents from any unintentional mispost of the channel number. There is no freaking way to prevent misposting messages between channels. Oh! Wait! There is a really simple solution - keep only one channel open if you ain't able to deal with more.

I don't think setting some functions up like irc would be to bad.

#lock_channel 12345

All current people in channel are set to channel control

#channel_invite stronze

Stronze has been granted access to @12345

#channel_control stronze

Stronze has been giving channel control

If channel has no people, it auto defaults to game settins

I don't think setting some functions up like irc would be to bad.

#lock_channel 12345

All current people in channel are set to channel control

#channel_invite stronze

Stronze has been granted access to @12345

#channel_control stronze

Stronze has been giving channel control

If channel has no people, it auto defaults to game settins

Well, if those specific commands are added, hopefully they are added for mods first so that we can get the bugs out of them without exposing it to others which might misuse them. Sorry mods, but by default, a person would have to view you as more responsible and therefore the only people that should be trusted with such commands at first, in my opinion.

Well the main channels and invance channels would be locked from players period.

Treat channels just like irc. If your give ops to someone that is shady. That's your problem, not admins

It is very annoying to tell everyone our new channel number when someone mischannels and have idiots trying to ruin our fun and conversation because they think it is funny.

^^ i know the problem. Espeically if player only show up every 2 weeks or so and you need to leave a message.

Edited by SolarStar