Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sayre

Quick-draw Archery Tournament

This was just something that popped in my head and seemed to work well. Anyone who wishes to run something similar feel free to adapt it however you see fit.

5 Archers at one end of the arena, a summoner at the other end. In an unannounced fashion, the summoner summons a low level critter and kudos goes to the archer who gets the kill. ;)

Below screenie courtesy of Aylot

gallery_18100_30_50058.jpg

Congratulations to Forever who bagged 5 out of the 10 bunnies on the offer!

S.

Hi,

Outstanding idea AND event, SpleenFeeder! I enjoyed just watching it! (..can you tell?)

alyot_paterpan2.jpg

Yours in Service,

Alyot

Edited by Alyot

5 Archers at one end of the arena, a summoner at the other end. In an unannounced fashion, the summoner summons a low level critter and kudos goes to the archer who gets the kill. ;)
I may be confused about how you ran this, but how could you tell which archer made the kill (I'm assuming all were trying to shoot as fast as they could)?

Hi,

I didn't run it, but I was there....

Each participant cleared his "session log" before shooting began. There were no disputed calls, however some rabbits did "poof" before they got hit.

Yours,

Alyot

Each participant cleared his "session log" before shooting began.
OK, so I guess the part I was missing is that a ranged kill shows up in your kill list? So the fastest archer had a rabbit kill for the session to prove his win.

Hi,

Spleenfeeder was using "entry" level rabbits, so they were "killed" by the first shot. I don't guess "strong" targets would be nearly as fair, as the LAST to get him would get credit instead of the FIRST...and that explains why they degenerated so quickly, come to think of it.

Edited by Alyot

Now that I think about it, perhaps it would have been better to summon the bunny, let it decay to around 6 or 4, then give the ok to fire. However, for the most part, it was the first to hit that got the kill. And yes my rationale for using rabbits, other than that they are small and bounce about, is the low health.

Anyhow, I ran another one, this time a nighttime one to see how that went and if there were any issues with perception etc.

Shown below is a hit from asgnny, one of 7 he made to win the competition ;)

gallery_18100_30_250362.jpg

S.

Hi,

Tourneys are WONDERFUL, Spleenfeeder! I do have one thing that hasn't been addressed so far....choice of ammunition. You might want to restrict all shooters to the same ammunition next time, so it's a "level" playing field. As it was pointed out, the magic arrows a more accurate than the others. Considering Asgnny's score, I don't think that was a factor in this tourney. ;)

Yours,

Alyot

The 3rd archery contest was also a nighttime event. The scores were fairly even at the start, and then nirve started to break away from the pack. Ozmondius pulled it back to be 4 - 4 with nirve at the last bunny. This necessitated a head to head bunny-off!

gallery_18100_30_499904.jpg

Ozmondius got the last kill in the bunny-off to take the contest! Two more finalists and we have ourselves a final. Gratz to all participants.

S.

PS: Thanks to Aislinn for the screenie in this contest <3

Edited by Spleenfeeder

The 4th tournament was held later in the day, with 4 contestants only as teh_reaper was having connection issues.

The day was won by veiks101 with a massive 6 out of 10 bunnies hit.

One more round till our finalists meet!

S.

I havent been to any of these so far, but I just want to say--awesome job. This looks like a LOT of fun, it's a really creative and interesting way to use arrows. It's really testing reflexes more than anything, which is cool!

Hopefully Ill make it to one sometime :)

Keep up the good work spleen

Lum

And at sunset the last of the contests were held, again a very close encounter:

gallery_18100_30_214697.jpg

jinzongli took out the event with an impressive 5 out of 11 (charming guys I am) bunnies!

It seems we have our finalists! Forever, asgnny, Ozmondius, veiks101 and jinzongli will meet at some undetermined point to determine the Archery Champion!

Watch this space!

S.

Ok the final will be an uncomplicated affair.

- There will be 20 rabbit targets, again, charm doubles are a bonus.

- Everyone will be using the SAME GEAR, namely, long bow and training arrows.

- Winner takes all (prize is a crossbow, a serpent stone and a binding stone)

Finalists, I need your availability for the next few days.. If you don't enter your availability here, I can't guarantee that you will make the 5.

Cheers, S.

Busy week (and weekend) for me (next week would be better, but not sure if this is possible). I can probably attend tomorrow night (21-27 hours from the time of this post).

Ok, the contest will be on in 20 hours from the time of this post: ie 2:30pm (ish) Australian Eastern Standard time, which I think is 04:30 UTC on the 11th April 2008

Contenders will be Forever, asgnny, Ozmondius, veiks101 and jinzongli.

Remember, 20 bunnies, long bows and training arrows only. Everyone else, come along to WS Summoning Arena and cheer on your favourite!

Cheers, S. :P

The final was run and was won by asgnny with a phenomenal 14 our of 20 bunnies killed!

Here is an amusing photograph of Aisy being shot :D

gallery_18100_30_186787.jpg

Unfortunately forever and veiks101 were unable to make the 2:35 start, which enabled first and 2nd reserve halosmee and bigsimp an opportunity to again pit their skills.

Rankings:

First - asgnny - 14 bunnies

Second - jinzongli - 5 bunnies

Third - Ozmondius - 1 bunny

Equal fourth - bigsimp and halosmee - 0 bunnies

Thankyou all contenders and a special thanks to the big crowd turnout which added to the atmosphere of the event! Hopefully someone else can run the next one so I can have a turn. :P

S.

I pm'ed you quite a bit of times about when it was starting :/ Eventually I fell asleep because I had been working up until contest. Sucks that you were afk..

1) the post had the starting times, all those PM's were while I was at work.

2) The moment I got home, which was an hr before the competition began, I pm'd you and you werent on.

We had discussed the time the day before and you had said you would be available. Not sure how much more I could have done.

Sorry you couldn't make it.

S.