Eternal Lands Official Forums
Alyot

Suggestion for "Bonus" ranging targets.

Hi,

I've worked my way a shot from lvl 12 Ranging, and after going after a few Brownies and Woodsprites, I realized they don't yeild the exp for a kill that they should. I understand that this is a really "low level" target, but howabout something like this...

Wood Sprite/Brownie, a 1/100 or 1/1000 chance of a BIG experience bonus for a "one shot" kill. Something that would be worthwhile for every one from the #1 Ranger, to they player that just bought his/her bow.

You could apply the same thing to anything, really small and really fast. These are just the 2 that came to my mind.

I'm basing all this on archery tourneys I've competed in. I'm by no means an expert, consistancy being my main drawback, but I've placed in a few on my "good days".

Yours,

Alyot (& Terran)

Edit: P.S. I also would like to make a suggestion for Antler use, but I realize I'm a little late for this, but here goes.. You need Hide Glue, Feathers (fletch), Branches, and a really sharp knife to make arrows (real life, I've done it) so what about making "Hide Glue" from "Deer Antlers". I know, this part has probably all ready been completed, but I wanted to mention it anyway.

Yours in Service,

Alyot

Edited by Alyot

Hi,

I've worked my way a shot from lvl 12 Ranging, and after going after a few Brownies and Woodsprites, I realized they don't yeild the exp for a kill that they should. I understand that this is a really "low level" target, but howabout something like this...

There is no difference between different monsters based on their size. Since it is not harder to hit a brownie than it is to hit a bear (stats and skills ommited), then you should not get more experience, yes?

Hi Entropy,

I guess it's just me, but from my experience, bears are much slower moving and remain stationary for much longer periods of time than do wood sprites. I have to be very quick and very accurate to get my mouse over a resting wood sprite to get a killing shot off. Large animals need far less precision. ..but then I'm combining the realworld with my experiences so far with Archery in EL. It was just an idea.

My other point was that it would give players of all levels a "reason" to hunt WoodSprites and Brownies, other than their current drops.

Thank you very much for including it! Well done!

Yours,

Alyot

Edited by Alyot

All the animals and humans move at the very same speed.

The reason why you would want to train on brownies and woodsprites is that ypu cna kill them in 1 hit in melee combat, if they attack you, so less chance of breaking your bows.

Since it is not harder to hit a brownie than it is to hit a bear (stats and skills ommited), then you should not get more experience, yes?

Actually, catching up to a brownie and clicking it is somewhat more challenging than catching a bear. I may be mistaken... but I believe bears stop far more often then brownies/sprites, which move nearly constantly. It could perhaps just be appearance based on their size difference, yet in my opinion no matter if their speed and movements are the same, a brownie IS more difficult to click to attack/shoot at then a bear.

But I hardly think its hard enough for it to deserve more exp.

Hi,

Granted, my use of the word "speed" was inaccurate. Everything does move at the same clockspeed.

As for the "size" of an object and how difficult it is to target, I think Enly understands what I'm trying to say. Entropy, please don't take this the wrong way. I really don't understand your perspective. You seem to be saying that because a target is 3 feet in diameter, it's just as easy to hit at 20 yards away as it is at 40 yards? I don't understand what you mean. I have only my archery experience to go on, not computer code, or how many pixels are involved target size of the model of each target.

Anyway, my original point was to give someone..."anyone"...a real reason to WANT to go after these almost continously moving and very small characters. Just as my point of suggesting the Deer Antlers be used for something like hide glue (as they would work for that in real life, just like horse hoofs, deer hoofs and the sinew from both..but we don't have those in EL). That would mean a real market for these things, as opposed to the current situation of so many players just leaving them laying around in MANY bags that only add to the impact on framerates of a map.

Back to Brownies and Wood Sprites, I was only trying to suggest that if there was a chance at a bonus prize, however small the chances, it might increase the number of people that bother to go after them....on Isle Prima, or any other map that has them.

I guess I'm just not making myself clear, or if I have, the interest seems to be very limted. I really thank both of you for taking the time to respond, though. It is appreciated.

Yours,

Alyot

P.S. Plus they would be a really challanging target for the Archery Tournaments the have been started by SpleenFeeder...if there's a way to do that.

Edited by Alyot

I get what you are saying, they are little and hard to click on, so should give more xp on a hit, at least occasionally anyway :D

You know something though...the satisfaction of watching a little woodsprite keeling over after an arrow twice as big as it is drives into its little body is worth more to me than any amount of xp * :D

S.

*for a given value of "any amount of xp"

Alyot, i tried pm'ing you but got no answer. I make arrowheads and knives from stone, was just wondering where you got your primative skills like makin hide glue and arrows.

Hi Chang,

I still show "0 New Messages", so I don't know what's up there. As for where a learned the skills, look up your local shire via http://www.SCA.org

As for the actual process, my wife is the bowyer...she made my longbow.

Yours,

Alyot