Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
popeye

Spelling lesson for the day

Google is your friend. TOday's lesson: argument. There is no e.

"In general parlance, an argument is a discussion involving conflicting points of view."

Anyone spell their, thier? The whole I before E, except after C throws some folks on this word. I also like spelling blue, bleu <french spelling>.

And using the alternative spelling grey for gray. Feel free to post away.

Edited by popeye

"In general parlance, an argument is a discussion involving conflicting points of view."

Anyone spell their, thier? The whole I before E, except after C throws some folks on this word. I also like spellig blue, bleu <french spelling>.

And using the alternative spellling grey for gray. Feel free to post away.

kan ey lurn to spel spellig lyk wot uw duz? :icon13:

kan ey lurn to spel spellig lyk wot uw duz? :P

That's right sir, we can all learn to spell today. :icon13: We'll learn grammar tips as we go too;)

(...) And using the alternative spellling grey for gray.(...)

It seems you really don't like that verb :icon13:

lol. Dang typos.

Language tools for Mozilla Firefox, include dictionaries for automatic spell checks in html-textareas such as the ones used for posting here. If you have multiple language packs installed, you can switch languages in the context menu (right click) of the text area.

Except for "url" (in the tag) and "html-textareas" there seems to be nothing wrong with the spelling of this post, so off to post this ;)

WTF?? Do you mean it's argumnt?

Anyone spell their, thier?

Only as a typo.

The whole I before E, except after C throws some folks on this word.

That's a gay rule, never used it, and my spelling is pretty good (unless if I make a typo).

Of course, English not being my first language is a good excuse too.

Feel free to post away.

What really pissed me off is when people interchange yours/you are, or, even worse, affect with effect.

I think I will make it a forum rule that if you use affect/effect wrong for 3 times, 1 month ban :P

What really pissed me off is when people interchange yours/you are, or, even worse, affect with effect.

I think I will make it a forum rule that if you use affect/effect wrong for 3 times, 1 month ban :P

I am glad that this ban and its effects will not affect me, except if you accept that you expect that while my brain is making emissions my fingers make omissions.

If you are jealous of my typing capability realise that I am being zealous because of the high probability of errors in a post of such an obvious dubious nature.

Free headache tablets at beam for anyone that got this far and is still not blind or gibbering.

good rule. make it include "messege/message" pls :D

I think I will make it a forum rule that if you use affect/effect wrong for 3 times, 1 month ban ;)

I am glad that this ban and its effects will not affect me, except if you accept that you expect that while my brain is making emissions my fingers make omissions.

If you are jealous of my typing capability realise that I am being zealous because of the high probability of errors in a post of such an obvious dubious nature.

Free headache tablets at beam for anyone that got this far and is still not blind or gibbering.

LMFAO!!!!!! I needed a good laugh\o/

CassIoPIA :P

P.S. Shouldn't that be realize instead of realise.............j/k

Edited by cassiopia

Lmao ;):P

@Cassiopa: British people put the slithering snake instead of z...zoinking zebra, or something lol.

Pour examplé:

Colonisation (Colonization)

Realise (Realize)

Organisation (Organization)

If you use Google define, I believe all of those spellings should register as correct.

I try to type my best, but I make really bad typos. When I'm really low on the neurons I make big mistakes and type like "how r u doin 2day then? lolz" Ah, I remember that day as if it were yesterday... October the 2end, 1987...

I almost always type "correctly" on the forums, probably only 50% of the time or so in game. When I am talking in PMs to someone I know well or in #gm, talk with abbreviations, to people I don't know as well I use good grammar, etc.

Annoying mistakes:

accept/except: Looks like two different words to me, can't even process it right when they use the wrong one.

affect/effect: I had a teacher like five years ago that didn't know the right way to use these words. An English teacher, too.

WTF?? Do you mean it's argumnt?
I think he meant that it is argument, rather than a common typo, arguement.

edit: added comma

Edited by Atlantis

my english spelling is prolly one of the worst around - well in fact, my german is kinda bad, too :)

common mistakes i make:

interchanging how and who,

interchanging where and there,

(this usually leads to misunderstandings )

what always make me stumble is people asking me "how have you been" , my brain translates that to some ugly sentence that means something like talking to a dead person about his state of health. Of course i know what it really means, just can't help myself - i laugh about that thing every single time someone asks me that question ;)

its definitley realise not realize, grey not gray.

i think the affect/effect can be cleared up by making sure everyone knows affect is a verb and effect is a noun, once you know this its easy to pick the right one.

and labrat should be a poet, that first sentence is brilliant.

Those damned Yankees took a poetic language like English and massacred it beyond all recognition.

Z is an uncommon letter in the British English vocabulary, we never felt the urge to replace the very useful S with it.

We also like the fact that words can contain the letter U.

Pretty much anything we spell as -ise the yanks bastardised into -ize.

Pretty much anything we spell -ou- the yanks stole the u.

When the yanks have had English as a language as long as the English they should have the right to alter our spellings. Until then go back and ask your "English 101" teacher why the class is not called "American 101".

American is not a foreign language, it is a lazy way of dealing with words that you can't grasp the spelling of.

interchanging how and who,

interchanging where and there,

same here, probably only because we're german. everytime i heard the words who/where i also got a lil confused at the beginning, cause who = "wer" in german and where = "wo" lol. the pronounciation of the word "wer" is similar to "where" anyway :laugh:

Tempest I think that is spot on. Being Dutch, learning German in school I had the problem too, but then I kept messing up the use of the German words.

Who = wer in German = wie in Dutch

How = wie in German = hoe in Dutch

Where = wo in German = waar in Dutch.

As for the UK english / American English Issue:

Look at it this way, Afrikaans and Dutch used to be the same languages some centuries ago, as it was the ebul Dutch merchants who decided to declare South-Africa their own colony. As the years went on, Afrikaans evolved in its own way, influenced by other things than the Dutch we speak in Holland. That is what happens to American English too. In the UK for example, there are less hispanic influences than in the US.

Instead of getting annoyed by these differences, try and see the beauty of it all, as it is actually quite amazing how we tend to just invent names for things, and within a short period of only a few months, a whole country, or even the whole world can know and apply this word as if it has always been there.

And remember that for someone with a native language other than english, is probably doing better at your language than you are doing at theirs, so if they make a typo, or mistake, it is not a very bad thing. We aren't all so fortunate as to be able to master a foreign language completely flawless.

Edited by dilloesional

Instead of getting annoyed by these differences, try and see the beauty of it all, as it is actually quite amazing how we tend to just invent names for things, and within a short period of only a few months, a whole country, or even the whole world can know and apply this word as if it has always been there.

very true. also technically English, Dutch and German are derived from the same language, the funny part is a few hundred years later we can hardly understand each other anymore :D

and some final (low german) words :

de lüüt sünd verdreiht wenn se glöven dat se sick över Spraken stänkern möten. ;)

(which means: people are crazy if they believe its necessary to struggle about languages)

Would be great to see a few translations of this :)

Edit:

found a funny example for "crazy" / in german "verrückt":

old-english: brægensēoc

low-german: brägenklöterig

brägen / brægen means "brain"

sēoc means sick/ süük in low german

klöterig is hard to translate, means something is clopping (thats the funny part)

Edited by Marr

I think I will make it a forum rule that if you use affect/effect wrong for 3 times, 1 month ban :icon13:

In the light of this, can I just point out Annihilate's signature...

Arguing online is like competing in the Special Olympics,if you win your still retarded.

thats some good irony right there ^^

i think labrat is annoyed that;

1. americans call their language english when it is quite diffrent.

2. because of this people(kids who watch too much TV) in england now use american spellings and words.

well these things annoy me anyway, and i guess the poetic comment holds too, i know of very few america poets(though maybe people would like to point some out to me, links to their work would be nice too) whereas there are many famous english poets, i will admit the time for each to produce such writers is wildly diffrent, though i expect the total number of english and american people who have lived is comparable.