Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanyel

Why do you take part in events

Reasons to join events  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What are your reasons to join events?

• Prizes
    • Fun
    • Other

First event I run in this game was... almost 3 years ago. I run many other events ever since. People taking part in events have changed. They used to take part in events for the fun of doing it. Right now the very first question in any event is

wot r prices

or

c1 or c2

I was wondering whether people changed that much or... is there any other reason?

Let's talk about it. What are your reasons to join events?

Edited by Vanyel

i voted "prizes" ... coz i always like when i earn extra gc :D

but i also do it for the fun ' eg : pk contests ' :confused:

Regarding the prizes issue, I think it has to do with the requirement, which was introduced some time ago, to state prizes at the beginning of any event. So, people got into the habit of asking prizes first thing; many will decide whether to stop their everyday life to join in an event based on how desirable a prize is, and this is understandable.

The C1 or C2 thing... I think it is a kind of Pavlovian conditioning, as is any reference to a green tree, given the number of manhunts run by Piper along the years :D

I used to join in mostly any event when my character was younger. Nowadays, I'm often sitting on large bags in unhospitable places, and tend not to join them as I used to. But then, the major motivation was always fun, and the opportunity to explore around less-visited places, and of course responding to a challenge!

I voted other.

I like to help run them more than participate. I have participated in some events, and definitely I haveparticipated for the fun of it rather than the prizes. (Of course that is because I suck at them so I know going in that I won't win anything :D )

For both(prize and fun).

I always like of this events. Sometimes u r tired with harvesting or mixing stuff or fighting monsters and this events come to give u one item for some fun with others players that is not a PK event. :D

i voted "prizes" ... coz i always like when i earn extra gc :confused:

but i also do it for the fun ' eg : pk contests ' :whistle:

Same here :D

I like running PK events for fun.

I like competing in PK events to win; for the glory... i guess that counts as fun.

Most of the time if i compete in a non-PK event it will be because i like the prize(s).

So basically;

I compete in events i like for fun.

I will only complete in an event i don't overly enjoy if i really want the prize.

...so i guess i'll vote "Other", as whether i'm competing for "Fun" or "Prizes" depends on the event.

Fun of coz, making a contest can be often fun too, not always tho :D, i only made small contests, mostly for newbies and it was always big fun, really great feeling :confused:

And some pk contests but it was looooooooong time ago ;/

If I were to participate it would be for the prize, however, I don't join any of the events. I'm usually busy on a project and don't want to stop for an event.

Well, first of all, event is not always a competition, so not always involves prizes. If you are asking about contests, to be honest contest were one of the things that have really got me into EL. I have joined in December and these days there were plenty of these. As a n00b it was a great pleasure to learn more about EL by participating in such events. And it was a huge surprise to actually win something. I have to admit that I have had plenty of luck in these days of absolute n00bness :D However, soon my focus has shifted from poential prizes to pure fun. Unfortunately the amount of spam on channel 6 makes it very difficult these days to participate. We should also look at other forms of contests than the most common H&S.

I take part in contests and events because they're fun (most of the time...). Its a challenge and a new twist to gameplay than my regular day, it also normally tests my knowledge of the game (riddles... findmes... hyperbag hunts) and keeps me sharp on my map facts, I also learn new secrets from time to time while taking part in some events. :D

Prizes are normally just an extra bonus and proof of my victory, if I win.

However, I do appriciate the players that tend to ask 'wot r prizes?' at the beginning of the contest. Reason being, if I do not recognize the contest host, or haven't seen it pre-announced in the forums, I'm suspicious of the contest quality. For example, if the answer to the question is "3 diamonds" or something like that, and I do not recognize the name of the contest host at all, I would be less inclined to stop what I'm doing and go take part because it suggests the contest is hosted by a new player, and wouldn't be loads of fun. If the prize was 3 diamonds and hosted by a name I recognized (such as Vanyel) I would take part anyway because I'd assume it would be fun, and worth stopping whatever I was doing.

I also like taking part in contests to see what people like about them, and what they think could be better, so I can use those ideas while hosting later events with buddies.

Overall in answer to Vanyel's poll though, and having hosted a couple events myself, I believe that there are many new players focused only on winning a prize (which... you really can't blame them can you?) rather than the actual finding. However, I do believe that these types of people also tend to be the loud-spoken ones, that ask a thousand questions, declare they know where the person is, or they are aware of the answer to the riddle, when they really haven't a clue. I think there are lots of people that take part in contests just for fun and don't say much in the channel. I take part in nearly every contest that is hosted when I'm on, unless I'm in the middle of something its hard to stop, but I've taken part in many contests where I never said a word on the channel. Those that speak are not always the ones that have things to say, and probably not the best to gauge anything about contests off of.

I rarely take part in contests, but when I do, I do it for fun. It's refreshing to have even a simple hide-and-seek contest amidst a mass mixing session. More complex events and contests would be very welcome.

Those that speak are not always the ones that have things to say,

Truer words were never spoken.

Mostly, I just watch the event and have fun trying to work out answers to riddles/find me's. I enjoy the challenge of trying to decipher the riddles. I'm not very interested in prizes because I can either save up GC for things or make some of the things myself. I'd rather work hard for things than win them (there's too many people to compete with in contests anyway).

I voted for the fun.

I am not really in need of much as I have quite a big inventory but the teamwork/fun is my motivation.

PaulB

Erm keep posting, your opinions were asked for here! I didn't mean to kill the topic... :)

hahahhaahaha

Anyway...

I tend to enter contests for the fun of it. The prizes honestly are not my motivation.

Trivia and hide and seek is the most fun.

S.

For the fun of it! :~)

I love the challenge of figuring out where how when what... I've walked away with some very nice prizes and some days I've stormed off pouting I'm sure but I've always had fun with it. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten to the end of a contest and forgotten what I was playing for, if I ever knew to begin with. I've certainly given away more then a few of the items I've won, sometimes in follow-up contests but usually to whoever I pass along the way.

These days if I'm in the middle of something I may wait to hear the prizes/continent but I generally follow along regardless and usually end up tossing a few travel ess in inv and going for a road trip.

On the other hand, I've held a few contests and I have to admit it was tough. I enjoyed it but you really have to be on top of your game if it's a ques/answer contest. But the giving away part is fun :~)

What was the question again?! oh right, fun! yh70024960dr4.gif

~bug

Fun all the way on both sides - particapating and hosting

but sometimes particapating in order to get prizes for hosting one later.

Usually with a big prize - get loads of players and only like 5 of them do it for fun...

but you get enjoyment from doing it both ways

hench i did them alot in ch6

I tend to take part for fun, and as I don't usually have channel 6 on all the time I only take part in preannounced ones, either in forums or ingame.

I rarely speak in contest channel, and I like contest that take working out from well thought out clues or riddles, rather then the 'what can you see' type contests. Eg I will always try and take part in a cho_yun contest (even if the riddles drive me insane) rather than the Vanyel ones that are full of players asking the same questions and not listening to the answers. That's not a reflection on those contests, just on the type of players they tend to attract.

I particularly like contests and events that involve meeting other members of the EL community as I like the social interraction. So even tho I don't pk, always happy to help with pk events if I can, just to widen my knowledge of players, and tho I don't fight, I can appreciate a good fight and skill when I see it.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I prefer well thought out and challenging events, and enjoy any event that involves getting involved with the wider EL community.

Prizes aren't that important to me as I have a storage bursting with stuff I never use, but it's always nice to get something for proving your knowledge/skill.

I normally do it for the fun. I only used to enter PK/fighting contests. I held a couple myself too. Which is always fun thing do to. :)

I remember there used to be some KF events, like resuce someone and win some prizes, those were fun. :(

It has to be fun...

In general if an event is posted on the forum - I tend to ignore it - as so many never get off the ground. I tend to wait for an in game announcement - and then join in if I can, or help guildies with riddles etc.

As for why are prizes important - simple - if the prizes are low level, it is generally an event aimed at newcomers to the game - so I wont join in.