Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PaulB

One most worthy people!

I would like to take this space in the forums to thank a particular "player" that does a lot more for the EL community than anyone else besides for the DEVs.

This "player" is always willing to talk to you.

This "player" is always willing to spy on other players for you.

This "player is always in the mood to spread rumors etc etc.

Yes I am talking about Gossip. And with further searches of the forums I realize that nobody has really come to thank the hard work and dedication that has been put into Gossip and all the functions that "she" has.

I would like to thank the developers of Gossip bot and tell them that not a day goes by in EL where I dont have to use gossip to complete everyday EL task.

I hope that we can get more to show some love to the bot that Gossip was, is and will become.

With all my respect,

PaulB of eGow

gossip gossip gossip.. there have been many a days on which you were the only one I could be bothered to speak to, so I am with PaulB on this one! :(

:P

Edited by dilloesional

Pm Peach he has functions gossip doesn't have : he can say who is who on char and who got change name :P but i think that noob is offline now hehehehehehe

btw, there should be a rps game on gossip (rock paper scissor) vakana has it but... always offline... i need to get that 1k gc back i lost to TheRealSakura by playing RPS loolz.

~TK.

ps : i like gossip he gives the players fake stats regarding my real stats :( so they think i'm weaker :P

ps : i like gossip he gives the players fake stats regarding my real stats :confused: so they think i'm weaker :icon13:

This just goes to show how unapreciated SHE is lol

J/K Michic0_oL lol but nice typo :icon13:

Gossip called me n00b on chan 4 i dont like her!!! :brooding:

:P

Well yeah she is the most loved, of course! :icon13:

EDIT# Nice siggy jowwy :D

Edited by OldySchooly

Thank you SDL and OpenGL for causing no end of problems.

Oh for the day that OpenGL just understands what you meant no matter what you type.

Thank you Gossip for telling me I am the only person on in my guild.

/gossip guildies

#gm hi all

hmm..

I can't say I love gossip. Honestly it is the only bot I have and will have on my #ignore list. For ones that don't know why, I'll remind you:

thread one

an add-on to thread one (I add this link only to remind other issue related to gossip. At least it explains why I will never again pass any important message via gossip and why I tell all people wanting to pass me a message to use either forums or other than gossip means of communication

I was using gossip before this incident happened. I stopped doing it since then. I did entrust my private messages to a person that, actually, was likely use it against me if I got on this person toes. My opinion hasn't changed since.

So, nope. No thanks to gossip from my side.

Edited by Vanyel

Thanks to the developers of Gossip. I always use her to see which Guildies are online but lurking :)

I send some messages via Gossip but I never have very confidential messages to send and have never had problems with anything I passed on via Gossip.

Edited by Lu06

I can't say I love gossip. Honestly it is the only bot I have and will have on my #ignore list. For ones that don't know why, I'll remind you:

thread one

an add-on to thread one (I add this link only to remind other issue related to gossip. At least it explains why I will never again pass any important message via gossip and why I tell all people wanting to pass me a message to use either forums or other than gossip means of communication

I was using gossip before this incident happened. I stopped doing it since then. I did entrust my private messages to a person that, actually, was likely use it against me if I got on this person toes. My opinion hasn't changed since.

I believe PaulB's post was simply to say thank you to someone who really works hard to contribute a very well-used and appreciated element of the game; however, anytime anyone tries to post a simple appreciation, there is always someone who jumps in and has to complain. Sort of reminds me of this post.

Personally, I love Gossip, particularly how she always lets me know when there is an invasion when I log on (saves my but), and those oh-so-handy telegrams to/from the PK server (saves my friendships).

thread one

Well, Vanyel, you've posted two two links that are quite different.

In the first, which is a misleading snippet that's out of context- as I have admitted before, I exercised extremely poor judgment. I acknowledged that immediately, apologized for it, and made assurances that nothing of the sort will happen again. That was a year and a half ago.

Regarding the second post- have you actually read the post? What about it makes you uneasy about using Gossip? At the time, I was compelled by rules to keep old messages. Radu relaxed that to a 7 day period, after which delivered messages now get deleted. More importantly, I began encrypting the stored messages, as an added protection, which is more than most email systems do. Gossip has taken and delivered over 185,000 messages, and has stats on many thousands of players, without a single instance of someone complaining about a breech of confidentiality. That, on top of the hundreds of private emails addresses that she uses to send out thousands of emails every week.

So- if you don't want to use Gossip, Vanyel- that's fine. If you want to bring up issues from years ago- that's your prerogative too. But don't infer that what goes to Gossip is anything less than private- never once has anything private been revealed, not even in the incident that you bring up from years ago. Not even then.

Scaf

Edited by scafativ

Yay for Gossip!

She's a great bot and I really love all the work scaf puts into all her various features, I don't know what I'd do without her around all the time.

I remember when I first sent a gossip message to a friend that was offline, I was uneasy about the concept (even though it was just a simple message I wouldn't care being read). Now though, after I've met scafativ and chatted with him some, I trust he's not the kind of person that would release those private messages.

Thanks for all your hard work scafativ!

And thanks gossip! you've got a life of your own, and I love you saying hi to me all the time :)

Well, Vanyel, you've posted two links that are quite different.

In the first, which is a misleading snippet that's out of context- as I have admitted before, I exercised extremely poor judgment. I acknowledged that immediately, apologized for it, and made assurances that nothing of the sort will happen again. That was a year and a half ago.

Regarding the second post- have you actually read the post? What about it makes you uneasy about using Gossip? At the time, I was compelled by rules to keep old messages. Radu relaxed that to a 7 day period, after which delivered messages now get deleted. More importantly, I began encrypting the stored messages, as an added protection, which is more than most email systems do. Gossip has taken and delivered over 185,000 messages, and has stats on many thousands of players, without a single instance of someone complaining about a breech of confidentiality. That, on top of the hundreds of private emails addresses that she uses to send out thousands of emails every week.

So- if you don't want to use Gossip, Vanyel- that's fine. If you want to bring up issues from years ago- that's your prerogative too. But don't infer that what goes to Gossip is anything less than private- never once has anything private been revealed, not even in the incident that you bring up from years ago. Not even then.

Scaf

Well put!

Thanks for your great dedication and who cares what Vanyel thinks about gossip? I don't.

This forum had nothing to do with anything negative to do with gossip.

It was a simple attempt to let people know that not having Gossip bot around in game would alter greatly the way people play.

Please keep up the great work and I have no issues with my info getting put into public from Gossip.

You, on your own effort and hard work, put IMO the best bot in game.

But there will always be them certain few that will bitch and complain over petty shit so screw them :)

Keep up the good work and just remember that my first PM I send when I log on is to Gossip lol.

Really it is hehe.

/gossip members on eGow
:)

Regarding the second post- have you actually read the post?

Second link was posted for one simple reason. It was a continuation of the first issue and omitting it would would unfair toward gossip. I will keep in memory to give only half the story next time. The one supporting my case. I do apologise for trying not to hide quite important facts. I promise not to do it again.

What about it makes you uneasy about using Gossip?

You. Trust once lost is difficult to regain.

@PaulB

Expressing my opinion is my right. Honestly, I am not really interested in trying to convince anybody to agree with me.

Edited by Vanyel

I :D Gossip. :) Her services bring really useful modern conveniences to EL.

As for complaints about confidentiality or security, I just have one question: Why would anyone use a game bot for really confidential messages/information?

Even online services that advertise as "secure" are not the most secure means of communication that a person could use. Where is there any warranty or guarantee of security/confidentiality with Gossip? Sure, if you send an admire, she promises not to tell your identity, but that hardly amounts to a guarantee of security, does it?

Scafativ busts his ass to provide a useful service bot in EL. Apparently, he has also gone to great lengths to provide message security as well. But as far as I know, he has never promised, offered, or advertised Gossip as a secure system, so don't blame him if, just once, you didn't get something that was never on offer to begin with.

My thanks to Scafativ for Gossip. Great work. She adds a lot to the game. :P

I very much appreciate Vanyel's post. I find it very hard to believe that so many persons are defending someone who said that what they did was wrong. Scafativ did not actually violate any confidence but he threatened it. He believes that Gossip comes with a promise of confidence. Everyone in game I am sure felt that they could trust using Gossip before the events in those threads. I think almost everyone after reading the second thread, which I am very happy Vanyel linked, still has trust in Gossip.

Saying you don't have an expectation of privacy using Gossip is like saying you have to expect someone to be mistreating you. You are saying that we should have expected Scafativ to have put Gossip in game to be his spy. I think saying that you have to expect Gossip to be abused by Scafativ or someone else is a disservice to him and to everyone in game, in general. Scafativ believes and rightly so that he was given a great trust when allowed to run Gossip. Along with that trust came a great responsibility to not abuse it. Entropy trusted Scafativ not to abuse Gossip and allowed him the opportunity to run her. I seriously doubt Entropy said go ahead and cheat by stealing information from other players using Gossip, since, that is a violation of the multiplay rule.

I very much appreciate Scafativ's steadfast acceptance of that responsibility especially when so many have tried to absolve him of it. He could have used those supportive posts to duck his responsibility but he didn't. All of the things he has done to make Gossip a safe and private message system make the accolades and thanks, provided by Paul and others, well deserved. I don't think, looking at the facts at hand, that anyone could think anything other than, Scafativ is an honorable person and can be trusted.

I know this is long but there is a lot of history on this thread and I think everyone trying to absolve Scafativ of wrong doing are doing a great disservice to him. He deserves credit for admitting his mistake and fighting hard to overcome it. Please don't diminish the strength of his integrity by trying to attack his critics. He made, and admitted he made, a mistake and he did everything possible to show that it was a mistake and not his normal standard of behavior. That is something that should not be lost in the back and forth between his detractors and supporters. I want to personally thank Scafativ as well for taking that extra step and making sure everyone could see the kind of person he is and that Gossip, and Scafativ, can be trusted. :(

Great job on Gossip Scavaftiv and keep up the good work,

Tirun

Edited by TirunCollimdus

I would like to thank the developers of Gossip bot ...

With all my respect,

PaulB of eGow

Developers? Bot? What developers!?

Gossip

Let me get this straight - the bot's name is GOSSIP and some of you worry about private messages you entrust her with? *slaps knees* That's a good one! :)

I use Gossip all the time to leave messages and to look up player stats. I simply don't include hyper bag coords or things that would embarrass me if made public. Whether Scafativ queries Gossip or not is really irrelevant as long as you as a user take responsibility for your actions.

As to Scafativ's actual behavior - yesterday he contacted me and asked me (politely) not to post a certain type of rumor via Gossip, I appologized and agreed not to do it again, and the situation was resolved peacefully. Clearly some filter or search or whatever revealed the rumor I'd posted, because when I asked he confirmed that no one had complained about it, so it must have come to his attention in different ways, but he handeled it very well by contacting me first and giving me an opportunity to respond. It's his bot, after all, he's got a right to monitor it.

lilcnoot

Edit: I forgot to say.... Omg omg, someone stole my gossip! Remember, rumor serping is not illegal.

Edited by LilBear

I would like to thank the developers of Gossip bot ...

With all my respect,

PaulB of eGow

Developers? Bot? What developers!?

Gossip

yay!!! :):(

thread one

not rly feeling like starting a flamewar with tirun again, just look at what i market fat :)

Edited by Tempest

Let me get this straight - the bot's name is GOSSIP and some of you worry about private messages you entrust her with? *slaps knees* That's a good one! :devlish:

I use Gossip all the time to leave messages and to look up player stats. I simply don't include hyper bag coords or things that would embarrass me if made public. Whether Scafativ queries Gossip or not is really irrelevant as long as you as a user take responsibility for your actions.

As to Scafativ's actual behavior - yesterday he contacted me and asked me (politely) not to post a certain type of rumor via Gossip, I appologized and agreed not to do it again, and the situation was resolved peacefully. Clearly some filter or search or whatever revealed the rumor I'd posted, because when I asked he confirmed that no one had complained about it, so it must have come to his attention in different ways, but he handeled it very well by contacting me first and giving me an opportunity to respond. It's his bot, after all, he's got a right to monitor it.

lilcnoot

Just to be clear here- Rumors are both public and attributed. Anyone can read recent rumors by just typing /gossip rumor.

Messages and admirations are considered private and can't be easily queried, but can be queried if Radu asks me to do so within 7 days. It's certainly not "monitored".

Lastly- while I take the privacy issue seriously- it still isn't wise to exchange bag coordinates, passwords, bank accounts, or anything else like that, on gossip or even through email! It's just not a smart thing to do.

scaf

thread one

not rly feeling like starting a flamewar with tirun again, just look at what i market fat :)

I noticed that Tempest quoted Vanyel and used my name in his post. As he obviously meant Vanyel and not me my confusion is now cleared up. Glad I noticed the error and I hope no one takes this as a request or opportunity to start a flame war with me. I have permanently had my fill of flame wars so I won't reply in kind anyway. The issues between Tempest and Vanyel I don't want to comment on as I think my post previously was complete. :)

Tirun

I don't really understand all this privacy gossip problem. If you want to send some highly sensitive information to someone, use some sort of encryption, such as pgp, or an IM client that knows encryption.

Don't use a bot to send stuff such as passwords, and you should be fine. I personalyl use gossip every once in a while, and I find it to be a very useful bot. And scafativ is a very nice person (from my conversation with him).

I'm abit confused why 'Gossip' Is One Most worthy People! since she is a bot created by Scafativ...

it should be him lol x_x'