Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Energy Problems

Actually, unintended disconnects during fighting are really annoying. It took me a few mistakes with

crappy hotel internet connections before I started to test the connection before training. Even then, there

are still problems. How about this for a solution:

IF the player is disconnected for whatever reason, the client will cast a restore or heal spell whenever

the player reaches 25% of MPs. This continues until the fight is over or until all mana or essies are spent.

The player exits after the fight as now.

This gives no advantage during pk, but does what a player would normally do during training. It

will prevent training d/c trips to hell, mostly but not completely.

That idea is awsome. A person would naturally try to do whatever they need to in order to stay alive.

Other ways to stay alive would be BR's and life drain. The use of dis and teleport rings on hand could also be used.

Added as an afterthought: If you have an option to turn on/off this feature or adjust it, a player would only have themselves to blame if the character does something they don't want while on autopilot during their connection trouble.

Edited by nathanstenzel

Added as an afterthought: If you have an option to turn on/off this feature or adjust it, a player would only have themselves to blame if the character does something they don't want while on autopilot during their connection trouble.
We wouldn't want it to be so powerful that people starting fighting by loading up and intentionally disconnecting to let the "auto-pilot" do the fight for them. That would be almost like automation.

I think the original idea of a few auto-restores should be enough to protect against a typical disconnect while training. It also might give you time to re-connect (like from a wifi dropout) during PK.

IF the player is disconnected for whatever reason, the client will cast a restore or heal spell whenever

the player reaches 25% of MPs. This continues until the fight is over or until all mana or essies are spent.

The player exits after the fight as now.

This is actually a decent idea, I'll think about it.

From a more abstract point of view, the intention here is to simulate what the player would do in order to "survive".

But, there are many different actions which could be taken: What to cast, restore, heal, or remote heal? Why not drinking mana potions or extra mana as well when mana is depleted, until they are exhausted? What about body restore potions? And why not use that disengagement ring + teleport ring or #beam me, which the unlucky disconnected player had ready in inventory for exactly this purpose? Or maybe, disengage and quickly put an MM cape on? And what to do with those players which will still blame this "automatic" behaviour because they could have done better? And even if the automatic behaviour is nice and effective, people might want to be able to enable it even while they are connected, why not? "1-click fighting"...

In short, while I'm not really opposing the idea, I have this impression that this automatic behaviour would introduce more problems than it tries to solve, so I would be very cautious before changing the current behaviour (which, at least, has a clear semantics: you cannot logout and hope some "hand of God" will save you when in trouble).

The only totally satisfying solution, conceptually at least, would be to allow players to "program" the behaviour their character should exhibit in case of lag/grue/disconnect, temporarily transforming them in a sort of server-side bots... which is of course a nightmare to implement, and terribly messy in terms of user experience, so I don't believe it would be practical.

BTW, now that I am thinking of it, this won't help much because the server has no reliable way to know if you were disconnected or not until after at the very least 20 seconds (you could be lagging afterall). And death usually happens in the first 20 seconds or so, and there is no way in hell I am going to implement automatic healing during fight if the player is still connected.

We wouldn't want it to be so powerful that people starting fighting by loading up and intentionally disconnecting to let the "auto-pilot" do the fight for them. That would be almost like automation.

I think the original idea of a few auto-restores should be enough to protect against a typical disconnect while training. It also might give you time to re-connect (like from a wifi dropout) during PK.

Hmmm...I don't think such a training method would be wise since the mana may become an issue and it takes time to successfully restore. I have mentioned the idea of disabling the autopilot after the person has been AFK for more than about 2 minutes too. I figure such a notion would avoid AFK training. I might have worded things a little badly though, since you can change your "AFK" settings. I should have said the person has not interacted with the client for more than 4 minutes instead.

It's probably just me again,

Are you for real? How the *****&&^^^^ would you blame radu for people's power outages OR internet connections?

Since it takes over twenty seconds to tell if someone has power or internet drop out I can see it would not work to give resto. It might be possiable to make an exception to the lost rost when you die. If they had > 20 seconds of drop out prior to ending up in the underworld then the Rost does not disappear from the inv. This to may lead to abuse for they might disconnect when they see they are going to die thou but there way be some checks or by only have the rost disappear if they where fighting another player if their is > than 20 seconds drop out. Hate to lose rost to lagging.

May not be possiable thou just throwing it out there. I do agree that USP may be the way to go if the problem is local to the client.

Edited by Inglor

Yeah hiya Ent,

My ISP sometimes loses packets from their melbourne to sydney routers, it can make my ping ~500ms which is bad in PK, and really affects my brother trying play his MMOFPS, could u sort that out please.

Oh and when there's a mass invasion on my fps drop below 30, could u fix that too.

Ah and i shouldn't forget; My estate agent doesn't accept the payment method i prefer for my rent... and i need a house to put my computer in to play EL... so handle that for me as well.

kkthx :confused:

Edited by Korrode

On lineage 2 (at least the server i've played on) they deal with lag/disconnects this way: if the server doesn't receive a ping response, you don't take any damage

Not really. You don't make any damage either. You are in some kind of "pause" state

Umm...

So when you are about to die, you just log off and no penalty?

Very nice.

It's probably just me again,

Are you for real? How the *****&&^^^^ would you blame radu for people's power outages OR internet connections?

Selective reading... not reading... just making up something to attack someone FTW!! \o/ :confused:

[20:44:42] [PM from ppaulosantos: rain and goes down got it?]
If talking about rain in EL, better power supply (if lack of energy of video card) or possibly fan for video card (if overheating) is recommend to stop computer from shutting down.

Not really. You don't make any damage either. You are in some kind of "pause" state

Umm...

So when you are about to die, you just log off and no penalty?

Very nice.

If not making any damage either, you would fight the monster and have that 1 hp until you log in next time or server goes down (unless there is someone to help you).

Edited by ville-v

If not making any damage either, you would fight the monster and have that 1 hp until you log in next time or server goes down (unless there is someone to help you).

So then tie up that monster forever, until you log back in?

And my main concern wasn't the monsters, it was the PKing.

Whenever my wife makes me turn off the computer I am completely unable to play EL. After you build a new power plant in Brazil can you do something about her? It's really starting to get annoying.

If PK is a concern it could be implemented only for monsters. Would still be an improvement.

If PK is a concern it could be implemented only for monsters. Would still be an improvement.

No, it will be a catastrophe if everyoen cna keep a monster tied indefinetely.

Like I said, the connection is closed after 40 seconds or so, UNLESS fighting or preparing to be attacked. The server will NOT disconnect you while fighting, under any circumstance.

Just one comment - this is nearly perfect, I would only shorten the connection closing time from 40 to 15-20 seconds. It should allow fo he character to be logged off before the next monster of the same sort respawns. So if you lose connection while fighting the monster of the kind that is not ignoring you, if you survive to the end of the fight, you are safely logged off and there is no chance that respawned monster will kill you. That would solve vast majority of cases where we die due to connection loss. All other cases like fighting multiple spawn, monsters too tough for you, pk, etc. is just common sense of a player - don't try it if you have connection/power problems, fix these first.

Like u said before, 1 more restore doesnt change a thing when u r disconnect from the server while fighting against another player, it could only help on monsters(up to yetis coz higher mobs often require 2-3 or sometimes 20+restores per ;)

I think game would lose big money if its implemented.

From my personal experience, at least 50% rostos r lost due to lags/dissconects/crashes of computer or game crashes, so if u make ppl not lose rostos u will simply lose money :)

Also a lot of ppl die while poisoned using toadstools coz of lags, not only fighters :P

mp

Who says the monster needs to be fighting the player forever. If the client does not return in 20 secs or something, the server could disengage and disconnect the player

Who says the monster needs to be fighting the player forever. If the client does not return in 20 secs or something, the server could disengage and disconnect the player

That makes disconnecting a 'get out of jail free' if you find you may loose the fight, reset or pull the network cable, wait a while, then reconnect.

That makes disconnecting a 'get out of jail free' if you find you may loose the fight, reset or pull the network cable, wait a while, then reconnect.

I absolutely agree with Learner. People should not be able to get out of a losing fight with monsters any more than they should be able to pk-ing. This can only end up being seriously abused. Yes it really does suck when we lose connection during a fight of any sort, it's happened to me as well, but implementing this would be way worse for the game as a whole.

yepp, what learner and aisy said. i think the only way to make d/c'ing during a fight easier is... yell at ur ISP or whatever/whoever causes the problems ;) (not ent btw lolz.)