Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Energy Problems

I feel your loss ppaulosantos but I think your best bet is to buy a real good UPS as Ent has suggested :)

Evena cheap one (50 USD or so) UPS would help with power spikes.

Here in brazil, the cheap ones must be at least 3 times that.

My question would be how long is the heartbeat between the server and the client before the server decides a client is no longer there?

20+ seconds, 25 iirc.

Edited by freeone3000

There is a pulse check every 2 minutes, I think. That is why it disconnects after 2 minutes. To make it disconnect sooner and not have the server disconnect you prematurely, I think the number of pulse checks would have to be quadrupled. Not sure though.

Not only people with bad supplies of electricity have problems like yours. People with slow or unreliable internet have the issue too.

If Radu aka Entropy was to try to resolve this, it would take some effort and time to tweak the system. Trial and error would be involved.

I will not say if this should or should not get worked on. Just letting you know some of the details.

Correction: "Actually, it's something like 40 seconds at most..."

That is part of the correction that Entropy supplied to my statement. Read further down the thread to find his post.

Edited by nathanstenzel

well ...

it already happend to me, but not because of power losses ... Using WIFI and getting disconected ... it's still fighting before beeing grued, already lost stuff with that ... no rosto but bjed. Losing stuff for an error is OK but because of any failure is frustrating. Maybe grue could be faster before eating you !!!

I think that is whats happening to me. I have WIFI and I constanly get disconnected when I am training :)

There is a pulse check every 2 minutes, I think. That is why it disconnects after 2 minutes. To make it disconnect sooner and not have the server disconnect you prematurely, I think the number of pulse checks would have to be quadrupled. Not sure though.

Not only people with bad supplies of electricity have problems like yours. People with slow or unreliable internet have the issue too.

If Radu aka Entropy was to try to resolve this, it would take some effort and time to tweak the system. Trial and error would be involved.

I will not say if this should or should not get worked on. Just letting you know some of the details.

Actually, it's something like 40 seconds at most, but if you are in a fight, or you are being attacked, then your character is not disconnected until 10 seconds after the fight is over. And I have absolutely no intention to change that.

Here in brazil, the cheap ones must be at least 3 times that.

You can make your own UPS with a car battery and a power inverter.

I have an excellent electrical supply system and I STILL have a UPS unit as a backup (just in case). The unit also insures everything plugged into it, so if my pc gets fried by an electrical storm, they buy me a brand new one.

I think that is whats happening to me. I have WIFI and I constanly get disconnected when I am training :)

If you have WiFi, there are two options:

1. Get a cable (if possible)

2. Build yourself a parabolic (or even spheric) reflector for the AP's antenna, it can increase the signal quality by quite a few db.

Need to sort your own power probs :), Ent has no control over that....

....or does he :P xD

Lang :)

Edited by Lang_ren

We should start a new section of the forums where people can use excuses as to why they unfairly lost their rosto.

"Radu give me my money back!"

"I lost my rosto!"

"I blame it all on you because I spend all my money on rosto's and cant afford a backup powersource now!"

OMG lol

Come one lol.

It is in no way radu's fault that your power went out.

May I suggest trading that big box you got for a laptop! Then if the power goes out. . . NO WORRIES. :)

Edited by Paul Brown

well ...

it already happend to me, but not because of power losses ... Using WIFI and getting disconected ... it's still fighting before beeing grued, already lost stuff with that ... no rosto but bjed. Losing stuff for an error is OK but because of any failure is frustrating. Maybe grue could be faster before eating you !!!

Playing on Wifi.....been there, done that. It sucks when you have a bad signal. It is Somewhat related to his problem in the sense that you are not reliably recieving the signals from the server, although your signals might be going to the server.

If you are in combat when the wifi goes sour, try the home key and beaming up repeatedly and you Might luck out and get beamed up if you are not dead already.

Personally, I don't recommend that anyone do anything risky when the power or internet is not reliable. It is just too much of a royal pain in the butt to lose things for those already annoying situations.

I actually also started to lag out recently without reason, just for a short while, all else internet working and lost rostos but this probably happendes to more than me so I see no need to complaining. I think that paulo tries to explain something he can't get out in english words properly, and more could be done to try to understand him better.

This is a act of humiliation and not a great way of helping/cheering up someone whos in trouble.

Greetings

I feel for you Paulo and yes it is Radu's fault, instead of spending all the EL shops money on a castle it should be being spent on a power plant :)

Edited by conavar

Well he really should try and work on getting consistent power to his computer, but at the same time it seems like 2 minutes is a very long time for a heartbeat. As much as a low timeout could be abused, by the same token, the 2 minute TCP session could be hijacked, and all kinds of crazy hacks could be made knowing a timeout is that long. In theory someone could make a client, connect with official client, pull the plug or enable FW, load up a hacked client, and then connect without the server even knowing they were gone. Of course this is all theoretical. I wonder what the normal heartbeat is on other online games that deal in real time.

If you have WiFi, there are two options:

1. Get a cable (if possible)

2. Build yourself a parabolic (or even spheric) reflector for the AP's antenna, it can increase the signal quality by quite a few db.

Doing a google search for "wifi antenna" will gt alot of results on how to make wifi antennas from coffee cans, pringle cans and alot of other things. A riskier part is getting access to the antenna connection for those with a laptop. Of course, it sounds like the person that contacted you has a pc, so it should be easy enough to just run wire to the antenna. Finding/making the plug would be the harder part.

It's probably just me again, but... Radu, why are you even posting this PM log?

Found an easy target to make fun off, publicly?

Like to feed the forum trolls?

Pfff... :)

#edit

Ah, I see I'm not the only one.

This is a act of humiliation and not a great way of helping/cheering up someone whos in trouble.
Edited by Mar(c)

Well he really should try and work on getting consistent power to his computer, but at the same time it seems like 2 minutes is a very long time for a heartbeat. As much as a low timeout could be abused, by the same token, the 2 minute TCP session could be hijacked, and all kinds of crazy hacks could be made knowing a timeout is that long. In theory someone could make a client, connect with official client, pull the plug or enable FW, load up a hacked client, and then connect without the server even knowing they were gone. Of course this is all theoretical. I wonder what the normal heartbeat is on other online games that deal in real time.

Entropy corrected me on the amount of time. I was going by memory and my memory is not the best.

I think that paulo tries to explain something he can't get out in english words properly, and more could be done to try to understand him better.

Greetings

Umm, I didn't make fun of him because of his bad English, I understand that perfectly (I am not a native English speaker either, btw).

But when he suggest that it's my problem, and it's a bug I should fix, well, why not post it so that we cna get some player feedback on that? :)

Like I said, the connection is closed after 40 seconds or so, UNLESS fighting or preparing to be attacked. The server will NOT disconnect you while fighting, under any circumstance.

Doing a google search for "wifi antenna" will gt alot of results on how to make wifi antennas from coffee cans, pringle cans and alot of other things. A riskier part is getting access to the antenna connection for those with a laptop. Of course, it sounds like the person that contacted you has a pc, so it should be easy enough to just run wire to the antenna. Finding/making the plug would be the harder part.

You don't connect the antenna to the laptop, but to the router/access point. ou connect it to the laptop only if you don't have access to the router.

<CLIPPING TO SAVE SPACE>

You don't connect the antenna to the laptop, but to the router/access point. ou connect it to the laptop only if you don't have access to the router.

My statement was mainly for those with public/borrowed wifi. :)

Maybe Brazil needs to add more tubes onto its internets?

Is that actually some kind of feature other games have in the servers? It sounds like an episode from 'The Noob' webcomic.

I had gotten into the habit of #save 'ing regularly when the server was buggy, but I guess that wouldn't help in this case. Damn funny conversation, tho!

Umm, I didn't make fun of him because of his bad English, I understand that perfectly (I am not a native English speaker either, btw).

But when he suggest that it's my problem, and it's a bug I should fix, well, why not post it so that we cna get some player feedback on that? ;)

(Im To noob to make quotes;) )

What I meant was just that it was actually a personal message, he should have been given the chance to make a forum post which you later could have informed people about, were he could takes his time to write it down in a a bit more structured way;). But yes, as it seems he blaims the wrong person:). And as you say he probably somewhere in this thread will find the answer:D.

Greetings

Actually, unintended disconnects during fighting are really annoying. It took me a few mistakes with

crappy hotel internet connections before I started to test the connection before training. Even then, there

are still problems. How about this for a solution:

IF the player is disconnected for whatever reason, the client will cast a restore or heal spell whenever

the player reaches 25% of MPs. This continues until the fight is over or until all mana or essies are spent.

The player exits after the fight as now.

This gives no advantage during pk, but does what a player would normally do during training. It

will prevent training d/c trips to hell, mostly but not completely.

Edited by Fourier

IF the player is disconnected for whatever reason, the client will cast a restore or heal spell whenever

the player reaches 25% of MPs. This continues until the fight is over or until all mana or essies are spent.

The player exits after the fight as now.

This is actually a decent idea, I'll think about it.

But won't make much of a difference if your power goes out and you are fighting a monster way above your level, or a human (you usually have enough mana just for a few restores anyway).

I agree, a feature that saves you in a safe place would be abused. What about when you drop connections for a split second and find yourself in IP or what have you, i would find that more annoying personally if I were training.

As stated earlier invest in a UPS, I run a 1250 with no problems and I can safely shut down or what ever needs to be done at the time.

Any power company problems are not the responsibility of anyone but the power company.