Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Energy Problems

No, it will be a catastrophe if everyoen cna keep a monster tied indefinetely.

Who says the monster needs to be fighting the player forever. If the client does not return in 20 secs or something, the server could disengage and disconnect the player

That makes disconnecting a 'get out of jail free' if you find you may loose the fight, reset or pull the network cable, wait a while, then reconnect.

An improvement to the idea: If the client does not return in 300 seconds, the server could kill the player and he would lose items as usually.

And my main concern wasn't the monsters, it was the PKing.

Diss/tele when u disconnect? rofl! :devlish:

Thats not really Ent's prob. But i see many people disconnect frequently nowadays, even in PK's.

<RANT>

Any other successful mmorpg that I have personally enjoyed, has usually had some policy regarding the return of items lost, not due to actual game server issues of zero. As in, if it's not the game maintainers' fault, it's not their problem either. And I agree with this policy. What should be done, is analyse where the actual problem exists. Be it power company, ISP, or your own hardware. One of the many reasons that I come back to this game time and again, is it's reliability.

The server is just always on. I have seen my share of server outages, but since then, other options have been researched and implemented. New servers bought, hardware upgraded, better service providers employed. The result of which, is little to no down time provided to the Eternal Lands servers. Maintenance lasts all of 20 minutes, usually far less. Other games I've played have weakly maintenance that lasts hours, and servers that go down once a day on a good week. And also some of these were not free games.

So basically the point of this rant, is that you should demand better service. But before you do make sure it is directed at the correct body. The beauty of free market (where available) is competition. Those that cannot compete either die out, or improve to keep up with the market. So do your research and pick wisely.

By educating yourself you can save yourself, and others many hardships :fire:

</RANT>

Now that we know the server can sense our connectivity, how do you feel about implementing the effect that when the server senses extreme lag or disconnection (the extent is up to you), the character pulls out the strongest weapon from their inventory if there is any. And that is all it will do. This should prevent trainers to die before the character actually logs off. Also, players should be able to turn this effect on and off as well in order to work with their preference.

Now that we know the server can sense our connectivity, how do you feel about implementing the effect that when the server senses extreme lag or disconnection (the extent is up to you), the character pulls out the strongest weapon from their inventory if there is any. And that is all it will do. This should prevent trainers to die before the character actually logs off. Also, players should be able to turn this effect on and off as well in order to work with their preference.

1. Fights are usually off before the server knows for sure you were disconnected.

2. How does the server know which weapon is the best?

3. What if it's acid rain, or the enemy pulls a brod on you and destroyes your thermal serp?

There is a pulse check every 2 minutes, I think. That is why it disconnects after 2 minutes. To make it disconnect sooner and not have the server disconnect you prematurely, I think the number of pulse checks would have to be quadrupled. Not sure though.

Not only people with bad supplies of electricity have problems like yours. People with slow or unreliable internet have the issue too.

If Radu aka Entropy was to try to resolve this, it would take some effort and time to tweak the system. Trial and error would be involved.

I will not say if this should or should not get worked on. Just letting you know some of the details.

Actually, it's something like 40 seconds at most, but if you are in a fight, or you are being attacked, then your character is not disconnected until 10 seconds after the fight is over. And I have absolutely no intention to change that.

Here in brazil, the cheap ones must be at least 3 times that.

You can make your own UPS with a car battery and a power inverter.

Nice explanation and that's the answer for my question , i guess you're rigth about that and the price is not low but at least prevent from ppl turning off computer while fighting.

Sorry about the english but i'am not an expert like you all can see, btw do you guys speak portuguese or spanish :icon13: ?