Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Energy Problems

[20:41:21] [PM from ppaulosantos: you should do something about disconect energy problems]

[20:41:42] [PM from ppaulosantos: i lost 4 rostos this week cuz energy goes down and my player keep fighting]

[20:42:00] [PM from ppaulosantos: 4 rostos - 70k not easy]

[20:42:27] [PM to ppaulosantos: ??????]

[20:42:37] [PM from ppaulosantos: this is a bug]

[20:42:56] [PM from ppaulosantos: energy goes down and turn off pc so my char keep fighting]

[20:43:05] [PM from ppaulosantos: when i go back i'am in hell]

[20:43:09] [PM to ppaulosantos: energy???]

[20:43:22] [PM from ppaulosantos: yes .. power , nobreak, ]

[20:43:51] [PM from ppaulosantos: i live in brazil man, nobreak cant hold it]

[20:44:15] [PM to ppaulosantos: ???]

[20:44:20] [PM from ppaulosantos: plz just try to fix it cuz i really desanimate ]

[20:44:32] [PM from ppaulosantos: energy goes down]

[20:44:42] [PM from ppaulosantos: rain and goes down got it?]

[20:44:46] [PM to ppaulosantos: what energy??]

[20:44:50] [PM from ppaulosantos: energy , power]

[20:45:00] [PM from ppaulosantos: energy that turn on computer lol]

[20:45:02] [PM to ppaulosantos: tthen talk to your powe company or get an UPS]

[20:45:29] [PM from ppaulosantos: i knew i would have some answer like that, i'am just trying to help]

[20:45:48] [PM from ppaulosantos: otherwise i would post someplace in forum that nobody reads anyway]

[20:45:49] [PM to ppaulosantos: so how is it MY problem that your power company turns off your power?/]

[20:46:11] [PM from ppaulosantos: not turn off, just break]

[20:46:20] [PM to ppaulosantos: so how it is my problem?]

[20:46:21] [PM from ppaulosantos: that's why nobreak exists]

[20:46:42] [PM from ppaulosantos: so when i go down my char keep logged an fighting like 2 minutes ]

[20:46:52] [PM from ppaulosantos: that is a problem and is yours]

[20:47:00] [PM to ppaulosantos: lol. Post it on the forum]

[20:47:12] [PM from ppaulosantos: hahaha no but thx for listen ]

[20:47:16] [PM to ppaulosantos: wait, I will post if for you.]

[20:47:26] [PM to ppaulosantos: see what others think]

[20:47:38] [PM from ppaulosantos: they dont read it man]

[20:47:57] [PM to ppaulosantos: oh, they will!]

[20:48:08] [PM from ppaulosantos: ok them]

[20:49:02] [PM from ppaulosantos: do some post like that and i bet you all players will complain about something they lose while not online 2 minutes later goes down]

[20:49:28] [PM from ppaulosantos: did you her that? 70k? lol man that's hard to get here]

[20:49:43] [PM to ppaulosantos: ok, we'll see what the players think ;)]

So what should happen if you disconnect during a fight? Stop fighting? #beam?

Sure, that wouldn't be abused...

ppaulosantos - What do you suggest as an alternative? That you log out instantly upon disconnect? That would allow ppl to just yank their network connection if they were in a fight they couldn't win.

[20:45:02] [PM to ppaulosantos: tthen talk to your powe company or get an UPS]

[20:45:29] [PM from ppaulosantos: i knew i would have some answer like that, i'am just trying to help]

Got to agree. I don't see how bad power company is Ent's fault. If you lose power, he has no control over that. Improve your service, get UPS, generator, etc..

Tigs

I think this guy has a smart attitude and needs to get his things straight... he needs to remind himself that its just a game and if he has a problem with those kinds of things, none of us can do anything about it, thats his power company not ours. and like radu said he needs to call them not tell us. get a UPS or just dont play, ingame we live,die,diss,tele and its all fun. we all have died and spent money, dont fight if you are scared to fight...

Edited by mattyu

I don't normally post... but... Radu/Entropy is NOT responsible for your electrical issues. Contact your supplier and explain the issue to them. Maybe don't play on days when there are electrical issues in your area. Try a UPS {Uninterruptible Power Supply} or at least a surge protector...

it would be nice for players that disconnect while fighting that they beam, but it would be so easily misusable.

see that you are going to lose a fight, you cant flee and have no dis rings. oh well, then i'll just press the reset button on my computer.

so you have to ask yourself, what is more important, people getting frustrated by their power company or trying to avoid misuse?

Fair enough

i can see his frustrations

but the power grid of wherever aint your prob

there is no easy answer to this

sorry

Yea I think what Placid and Quesar said sum it up. If there was something put in place to try to fix something like that, it would just end up being abused.

In your opinion ppaulo, what do you think the fix should be?

ent, if you need to look into this to fix these 'power problems', i wanted to let you know that my character doesn't keep fighting for 2 minutes. all those times i lose power. i really hope this helps. really.

Yeah, I think you should fix that, I hate storms. Oh, and while you're at it, could you make the summers less hot too? It's not nice either.

:)

So what should happen if you disconnect during a fight? Stop fighting? #beam?

Sure, that wouldn't be abused...

if it beam or stops a fight people would log off in middle of the fight when they know they will lose

It is rather unfortunate that there is no way for the server to know whether a closed connection depends on an involontary occurrance (black-out, unintentional poweroff, OS crash) or a voluntary act (closing the client, killing the client, closing the connection, intentional poweroff, etc.).

If a disconnect can save you from any unpleasant occurrence in-game (poison, fight, cold/heat/radiation damage, whatever), voluntary disconnects would be abused as rostos, disengagement rings, restore spells, extra mana, etc. This is a fundamental problem, not a technical one: simply, there is not enough information at the server to distinguish cases where the player should be protected from bad accidents, from those where the player is trying to "trick" the system for his own advantage.

As I expect the unlucky cases like yours (ppaulosantos') to happen rarely, and potential abuse to be huge if the current system is reversed, I'm afraid there is no easy solution... :)

Sorry for the loss of your rostos, though!

I have only seen one MMORPG where you were disconnected from the game server as soon as you log out, Rappelz, and that was fixed as it was a bug every player in the game abused to keep from dieing :P If you have problems with your power I agree, if available get another provider otherwise UPS is the way to go :)

I feel your loss ppaulosantos but I think your best bet is to buy a real good UPS as Ent has suggested :)

Evena cheap one (50 USD or so) UPS would help with power spikes.

Hi all.

I understand the problem. If the computer stops for any reason in a fight the result maybe lost rosto or other items.

But its reasonable dont stop figth when client program stops because some player could use this method to stop fight.

Regards.

Macal.

well ...

it already happend to me, but not because of power losses ... Using WIFI and getting disconected ... it's still fighting before beeing grued, already lost stuff with that ... no rosto but bjed. Losing stuff for an error is OK but because of any failure is frustrating. Maybe grue could be faster before eating you !!!

My question would be how long is the heartbeat between the server and the client before the server decides a client is no longer there?

I am not sure if me and your problem are the same at all but I have issues like that also. When I am training my game freezes. I cannot do anything but technically my game is still playing. then I am complatly disconnected from EL and have to re log back on. Most of the time I am dead by the time I get back on because I couldnt heal when I had froze up :/. agian I have no idea if thats like what you have but I feel your pain >< sucks losing your stuff :)