Eternal Lands Official Forums
Entropy

Name changes

Do you want to allow name changes on the PK server?

One of the issues is that some people that quit might sell their account, and the new owner might want a different name.

So, anyone having strong objections about it?

Name changes are great, there is nothing worse then saying hello to your m8, to find your m8 gave his char to some one else. Please allow name change service.

No issues at all from me. Build yourself an observatory on your East Wing.

One of the issues is that some people that quit might sell their account, and the new owner might want a different name.

That is ok, i think.

But if its used by ppl to just hide under another name, its not IMO. So maybe a limit of one name change for an account per month or such might help.

Piper

I would agree with Piper. I think name changes for account transfers are fine, as long as they aren't abused to try and "hide".

I will have to agree with Piper and Bkc.

Yep. In fact, I'd like to see some sort of public announcement made about name changes. I don't know what it is about this server (well, yes I do and so does everyone else) but we seem to attract a certain population that is most comfortable regularly changing names in order to hide.

Our only true repercussion for outlaws on this server is through mass #ignores and no-trades (and obviously the whole pk thing). Skirting issues through name changes seems like cheating to me. If you want to be an outlaw, then go ahead and make your name infamous! Don't candy-ass your way out by changing it every two weeks.

I would LOVE if we had name changes :)

If there is some limit or regulation thats fine. I seemed to have made a name that was taken on the main server without knowing it and I am desperate for a name change.

Not to mention we bought my brother a character and now he won't even play but I highly doubt anyone will want to buy it with the name it has....

~KeLSeY~

How about a thread that's similar to the "account validation thread" in the "unregistered help" forum, but mandatory to post in for name changes?

Posts could have a format like this:

Current name:

New name:

Remarks: new owner, too much money, none,...

Paid by: paypal/money order/cash/check,... (include pk server, current name with payment)

I agree with making name changes public

That would solve the Hiding issue

Also would also be good when players change hands

Handy Thor

Sorry, I disagree with a few opinions here.

One of the purposes of a name change (IMO) is to hide from your past. What hope would there be for known scammers and such like otherwise? Therefore name changes should not be made public. The admins know who you are anyway!

If the player wishes all to know who s/he is, there is always the option to make an announcement on ch4 or whatever, or on the greetings forum.

Sorry, I disagree with a few opinions here.

One of the purposes of a name change (IMO) is to hide from your past. What hope would there be for known scammers and such like otherwise? Therefore name changes should not be made public. The admins know who you are anyway!

If the player wishes all to know who s/he is, there is always the option to make an announcement on ch4 or whatever, or on the greetings forum.

Well, they could do it the same way they do in real life, with an apology. Until people are made accountable for their actions, they won't change them. Hiding doesn't encourage the type of social responsibility that an apology and a promise does.

Could someone post the official decision on this? All posts seem in favor of it, but with what conditions i.e. public announcement, limit on time, etc.

Well, I guess it's OK, like only once a month or so.

There has been some discussion on channel 1 to know WHO to pay for name changes and HOW MUCH to pay.

This post is a bit inconclusive due to some points and would be nice to see direct answer to them for more practical results.

Also, several people posted that the name changes should be made public. When someone changes the name they would have to post or the Mod doing it. This way people would not change names to run/hide from the community and bypass their hard work acquired reputation.

Who?

How much?

Are name changes secret or made public?