Eternal Lands Official Forums
Jezebelle

Peace Day?

Count me in with the peaceniks on this one! It really is just plain fair to give the weaker players an opportunity to explore PK maps or collect some mercury without worry. Anyone who can afford or make night goggles probably doesn't have to worry about their source of mercury! Plus Peace Day doesn't occur very often anyway.

Two questions:

1) Is it actually possible to automatically de-activate mines and traps for a period of time then re-activate them, could they be planted on Peace Day and not trigger until the next day? For all I know that could be a programming challenge not worth the effort. :rolleyes:

2)Is this enough of an issue to allow players a say in the matter and vote on it? Give us Yanks some practice for November!

Maybe an informal EL poll would shed some light on that.

As things stand now it has obviously been a nasty surprise for a few players, and probably will for plenty more. If I hadn't seen this thread I'd have been an easy mark since I don't have the time to play that often these days. That also means I'm not leveling fast enough to catch up with all these new goodies! Think WWJLD.... definitely not plant land mines in Strawberry Fields! :)

7. If you really have such a big problem with the name, I can change it to something else. Any suggestions please?

Guerilla Warfare Day (formally Peace Day)

Today traditional hand-to-hand combat tactics are not effective. No player, creature, or summons may initiate a fight; however, beware of non-traditional tactics while on PK maps.

I realize the "non-traditional tactics and strategies" is a bit vague, but we don't really need to make radu update the day description with every new weapon implemented.

Yes I like this idea very much. Good job sygon. :)

Woot my rubber twunt stamp has had overtime on this thread and no mistake!

Ok, my wife is on teh peace side, and doesnt agree that mines should inflict damage. I think otherwise, and find it acceptable. I am not gonna argue my side or hers, but seriously, 6 pages of thread over this?!?

AND some posters came back to post again! omfg...you said it, we read it, move on ffs! Radu and teh Devs have enough on their fricken plate to do without having to trawl thru 6 (and counting) bloody pages of opinions about something thats frankly a triviality. Doesnt matter WHAT the day is, these simple rules should be inbuilt to you:-

1 if you are in expensive gear on ANY map ALWAYS carry a Ros.

2 if you go into a pk map, you do so at your own risk.

3 just because you were safe doing something yesterday, dont expect to be just as safe doing that same thing today.

This game is constantly changing and updating, and the devs AND players are always looking for new ways to do things. So expect to come across someone or something that will try to kill you wherever you go. Dont even take guild maps for granted. If you choose to do so, its hard luck if something does go wrong for you.

On a separate note, I think Jez is right that if the mines are to stay as being usable to inflict damage on the #day, that a change of name or description for the #day is warranted to some extent, if only to prevent new-ish players from being scammed that are not aware of this tactic yet. Experienced players should be taking more care and following the above 3 golden rules of playing EL. There, I have said my bit, I am moving on. (sorry Radu, no thought comes to mind as to a suggestion).

(IMHO peace day was meant to be a negative day, not a safe day for players with less ad levels)

Yeah, I hate Peace Day :rolleyes:

I think Mother Nature should take Scotty to the vet on peace day as well!

Best idea in the thread!

If i have to be bored for 6 hours i should at least be able to harvest much more AFK than usual :)

6. It is usually you, the non PKers that make the mines and/or gather the resources for the mines.

I dont think the people who placed the mines would class themselves as pkers, so I havent a clue why its turned into another "ebul pkers" thread

Pker is some1 who tries to kill other players, it doesnt always have to be a (top) fighter, actually, i know few topfighters that had/have absolutely 0 interest in pking :closedeyes:

On the other side many of "peacefull harvesters" would kill players if they only could, so they r potentially pkers too :lipssealed:

7. If you really have such a big problem with the name, I can change it to something else. Any suggestions please?

EL-Quaida Day :closedeyes:

Description: No fighting today, you can't attack players, animals or monsters, and the animals or monsters won't attack you either. Mines however will work normally.

Role Play: Today we celebrate life and, as such, we will not fight with each other, nor will will harm any life form, unless we are bloodthirsty terrorists.

:lipssealed:

I'd say keep the name.

One option I see is limiting the use of mines on peace day to players that follow the gods of evil (mortos, unolas, selain) (or we need trollson here to link us to his alignment thread :lipssealed:).

I think it's fine the way it's now and with countermeasures coming it will be balanced as well, I'd say.

Mines - Traps - Harm spell - Life drain whatever

I se no point in a pease day with the ruleset made, as long inderectly atcking are alowed.

Its an insoult of freedom nothing else.

Sinsirely

Blessed be all

I se no point in a pease day with the ruleset made, as long inderectly atcking are alowed.

Sinsirely

Blessed be all

Could you rephrase it so I am able to understand?

All in all. This thread turned from silly to even sillier. Yay.

Sinsirely

Blessed be all

Could you rephrase it so I am able to understand?

All in all. This thread turned from silly to even sillier. Yay.

"I see no point in a peace day with the current rules, as long as its allowed to attack indirectly.

Its an insult of freedom, nothing else."

Edited by Tempest

Wel can we agree to the theme is disapointment about exploding mines under a pease day

and the pease day stands for "Today we celebrate life,and, as such, we will not fight with eachother, nor will we harm any life form".

If the two lines above are accepted as the discussion subject, then..

If above lines are violated, peaseday is a joke sinse you should be able to cross between mabs without conciderings am this in dangerus for my life or ????.

But if Sniping, assasins, on so on is a go on a peaseday then my inlay loose its foundation

Sinsirely

Blessed be all

Wel can we agree to the theme is disapointment about exploding mines under a pease day

and the pease day stands for "Today we celebrate life,and, as such, we will not fight with eachother, nor will we harm any life form".

If the two lines above are accepted as the discussion subject, then..

If above lines are violated, peaseday is a joke sinse you should be able to cross between mabs without conciderings am this in dangerus for my life or ????.

But if Sniping, assasins, on so on is a go on a peaseday then my inlay loose its foundation

Sinsirely

Blessed be all

His english is bad as hell but he knows how to say it...

"Today we celebrate life,and, as such, we will not fight with eachother, nor will we harm any life form".

I think mines are doing a great deal of HARM. eh?

Yeah, I understood that much, Tempest.

I just don't see how it is the insult to freedom:)

Please consider that Mega is not simply a rotten speller like many people here. It's just that he is not a native English speaker, and well, he's my friend and I have no trouble understanding him. ;)

I believe what he meant to say was that this sort of thing ridicules the freedom of Peace Day, as it was before people realized mines were usable on EL-Quaida day.

Oh, and one other thing: I just found out that you can't even remote-heal on Peace Day, but you can blow people up! Now, is that an irony or what! :D

I can imagine the uproar if this happened:-

No-Drop Day:

Today is a special day. No items are dropped when players or AI die...unless they are killed by mines!

Edit:

Fixed some punctuation/typos and rephrased a bit :)

Edited by EaglePrince

It seems like some people are taking Peace Day to heart a bit much ;) . The description does state that no harm shall be done to living things (While we're on the subject... what about plants?! SAVE THE FLOWERS! </sarcasm>), and using mines violates that. Yet its not like we all go around singing happy birthday to Aluwen on Healing Day (which is role-played as being her birthday)

I think Peace Day now constitutes something more interesting than simply no fighting, however I think it would make more sense if spells were still able to be cast, thus no longer being Peace Day, and becoming a day of diverse fighting. With both spells and mines in your arsenal, that would make for a more a different kind of combat than the standard stab, slash, heal.

However I do agree that the description would do well to be changed slightly to accommodate for the fact peace is not as it once was. Even if only mines are useable.

-edit- spelling

Edited by Enly

To live in peace is a major part of freedom, Vanyel....

If you take away the right of peace from freedom, you insult the meaning of freedom..

Clear?

And another thing, there is simply no need to ridicule someone for not having a native tongue, I prefer to hear people speak from the heart anyways ^^

Jez

To live in peace is a major part of freedom, Vanyel....

If peace is a part of freedom, so to then is war. Freedom to fight for what you believe in, freedom is basically not being imprisoned or enslaved, its being able to make independent choicses for yourself without someone else forcing something upon you. Every person can have their own meaning for the word Free, and it may not mean peace to all.

But seriously, how does planting a mine on Peace Day suddenly violate the spirit of peace and insult the meaning of freedom? As I stated above, we do not sing happy birthday to Aluwen on healing day. Why then does Peace Day suddenly become an icon of freedom and peace? Its just a special day... ;)

Edited by Enly

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance"

Thomas Jefferson

;)

Edit: fixed spelling error

Edited by Cruella

You can #suicide on peace day, can you not? :whistle:

thats a free and direct choice to die..getting hurt or die by stepping on a mine or being close to one isnt a free choice.

Jez

For the non native speakers (such as myself) there are tools that check your spelling... included in I daresay most modern browsers.

Yo vill nevr hav a axejuice egen!

But seriously, how does planting a mine on Peace Day suddenly violate the spirit of peace and insult the meaning of freedom? As I stated above, we do not sing happy birthday to Aluwen on healing day. Why then does Peace Day suddenly become an icon of freedom and peace? Its just a special day... :whistle:

If the special days are just for decorating our screens with blue welcome messages, they don't need to have any effect on gameplay at all. But they do have an effect on gameplay. We have to assume there is a reason for that. And if there is a reason for them to affect gameplay, then they should affect everyone, whether the effect is good, bad or indifferent.

Look, I don't care if there is a Peace Day or not. Get rid of the damned thing if all it does is cause one side or the other to bitch and stamp ("we can't kill and that sucks!" versus "we can get killed and that sucks!"). I don't care about RL explosives, or RL peace, or RL freedom because those serious RL issues have nothing to do with this matter, which is about how this game is going to work. Let's keep some perspective here.

The only question that matters is: Does Peace Day affect the game the way it says it does?

If not -- if you can still kill/be killed on Peace Day -- then the name/description are misleading, especially to new players. THAT is what is unfair. It's not players being unfair to each other. It's the game being unfair because it lies to players about how it's going to affect them on that day. It doesn't matter whether it's a low risk lie. It's still a lie. Options to fix that: Either disable mines (and bows and arrows, btw) on Peace Day, or change the name/description of the day or get rid of the day entirely.

This is not about peace, freedom, international war laws, etc. It's about truth in advertising. It's either a PEACE day or it isn't. To call it Peace Day and tell people they can't either kill or be killed, when in fact they can do both, is just lying to the game users.

EDIT: The bottom line is this: There are good and bad days for all major skill groups. Does Radu want to include a bad day for PKers as well, or doesn't he? If yes, then he should disable all weapons on Peace Day. If no, then he should get rid of Peace Day. That's my final comment on this.

Edited by peino