Eternal Lands Official Forums
Jezebelle

Peace Day?

Today is a special day:

Peace Day

English: No fighting today, you can't attack players, animals or monsters, and the animals or monsters won't attack you either.

Role Playing: Today we celebrate life and, as such, we will not fight with eachother, nor will will harm any life form.

Now as I see it, the English description is accurate. The Role Playing should be changed, and stop at "we will not fight with each other." Full stop. It is one thing to declare a peace day, and not be able to attack. Quite another to avoid anything bad from ever happening during it. I also don't think the purpose of the day was to be an absolute benefit to non fighters to take advantage 100% risk free in places they normally could not. Kind of like the purpose of the TS potions was supposed to be a lot different than they actually ended up popular for.

As a side note, I personally find it much more offensive (as much as one should be offended by a game's mechanics or words) to rename the day Al-Quaida Day. Talk about a lack of sensitivity to others. :whistle:

As a second side note, I don't believe the purpose of these forums was ever to be a place to whine and complain ad nauseum. Nor is everything ingame up for debate and/or popular vote to be changed.

Today is a special day:

Peace Day

English: No fighting today, you can't attack players, animals or monsters, and the animals or monsters won't attack you either.

Role Playing: Today we celebrate life and, as such, we will not fight with eachother, nor will will harm any life form.

Now as I see it, the English description is accurate. The Role Playing should be changed, and stop at "we will not fight with each other." Full stop. It is one thing to declare a peace day, and not be able to attack. Quite another to avoid anything bad from ever happening during it. I also don't think the purpose of the day was to be an absolute benefit to non fighters to take advantage 100% risk free in places they normally could not. Kind of like the purpose of the TS potions was supposed to be a lot different than they actually ended up popular for.

As a side note, I personally find it much more offensive (as much as one should be offended by a game's mechanics or words) to rename the day Al-Quaida Day. Talk about a lack of sensitivity to others. :whistle:

I (almost) completely agree with you.

However, I would like to point out that any suggestions to rename the day EL-Quaida Day was purely sarcastic, and not an attempt to be insensitive. By the way, I would have been on one of the trains that got bombed on 7/7, literally metres from where I work. This was intended to emphasizethe point that such use of mines on Peace Day is little more than in-game 'terrorism' :fire:

As a side note, it is hard to overlook the intent of this proposal, being an irony, especially when followed by an "appropriate" day description and emoticon. So no reason to be offended really (I hope).

As a second side note, I don't believe the purpose of these forums was ever to be a place to whine and complain ad nauseum. Nor is everything ingame up for debate and/or popular vote to be changed.

I believe an original Jezebelle's post uses constructive criticism, backs up opinion by facts and is constructive in nature. And on topic. A number of replies shows that this particular topic seems to be interesting to EL community....

I used to looove peace days a few years ago, exploring maps with ogres and even white bunnies on. It was a hoot!!! Got my first C2 guided tour on a peace day by Sweettea (btw, she is not the person i would use for map reading if i had a choice lol).

Anyways, iI just wanted to say; Spleenie said it all!

Edited by Albazz

A number of replies shows that this particular topic seems to be interesting to EL community....

*smiles* Have you read these forums? People will post anywhere and everywhere and say nothing cohesive just to see their name in print :whistle:

However I will clarify that my comment was hardly directed at only Jezebelle, or only this thread.

You are right to some extent, however ... in this particular topic some discuss peace issues so ferociously that it seems they would have killed for it :whistle::fire:

This is Entropys game and he can do as he wants. We can either adjust or quit. But I do think if mines can cause damage on Peace Day then remote heal should be re-implemented for that day also. And the description should be altered so new players know that players or creatures cannot attack but that other occurences are possible.

OMG, such a big thread about such a small matter:

7. If you really have such a big problem with the name, I can change it to something else. Any suggestions please?

I agree, far too much argument here over something so clear.

I like the idea of peace day and think that should include mines being non-usable durin the #day, if not disabled. In that I would also like to be able to cast remote heal on 'peace day'.

The day we have at the moment is more like 'no interaction day' and is fine too, but I would still like the peace day as above. Having mines usable is a nice querk and gets them used, but I personally would like a seperate day for it such as 'non-contact day'. Or name it after a non-combat sport.

Whatever changes are made or not, it will be our job as players to make the most of it.

Edited by kailomonkey

I think it's nice to give people a rest from fighting (and a rest from causing any harm) occasionally, like we get a rest from harvesting on green day (and there's not exceptions on that day may I add). Also on Day of Fasting, there are no exceptions to the rule of no eating, are there? I vote for keeping Peace Day and disabling the mines etc for that day, otherwise there may as well be exceptions to the rules on the other days too.

OMG, such a big thread about such a small matter:

1. The mines are pretty expensive.

2. High perception can help a lot (unless someone does a kamikaze on you).

3. Armor and COL helps if someone pulls a kamikaze on you (they will take considerably more damage than you anyway)

4. You can always go naked if you want to explore, nothing to lose.

5. You can always carry a rosto with you if you really feel like exploring in out most expensive gear or clothes.

6. It is usually you, the non PKers that make the mines and/or gather the resources for the mines.

7. If you really have such a big problem with the name, I can change it to something else. Any suggestions please?

I think it's nice to give people a rest from fighting (and a rest from causing any harm) occasionally, like we get a rest from harvesting on green day (and there's not exceptions on that day may I add). Also on Day of Fasting, there are no exceptions to the rule of no eating, are there? I vote for keeping Peace Day and disabling the mines etc for that day, otherwise there may as well be exceptions to the rules on the other days too.

Judging from this post of ent, and actually even before that...I'm not getting the idea this was ever up for a vote.

Using mines on 'peace' day is tactics of the highest order imho, relying not only on the (incorrect) assumptions of the general populace, but also an indepth knowledge of the workings of the game. That gets my respect, although I would have hated to have been one of the victims.

I see no need to change the name of the day, or the description. There's always an exception to the rule. You may as well give a warning when the gargoyle leaves it's cave in ws. You live, you learn, you do a little better next time.

This game needs villians as much as it needs heroes. With respect to the length of this topic, the amount of high-drama that is generated by things like this is one of the reasons I love this game.

Bad things happen to good people......good things happen to bad people..........s%^&t happpens. Sorry your toon got pawned on peace day. Eat a land mine; shave a whale ; and save a baby seal. Suck it up princess. Stick to IP and sell those sercert fruits to the npc, make millions of gcs and never walk in danger! FTW!

New name....hmmmmm Achmed Died (though I can see this getting the politically incorrect comments :))

Description: Achmed Suffered from Premature detination and to mourn his loss there will be no fighting today. You cannot attack Players and monsters cannot attack you - Achmed may have left more bombs before he died though :o

I can kind of see both sides to this argument, in one way its like breaking a cease-fire. However it is also a smart way round not being able to fight (if blowing anything up is every really very smart.....oh wait we in a virtual world not a real one :P). I died from 2 small blasts near me, however as soon as I entered the cave and ally and a friend pmed me to take my col back to store because of bombs. I lost 3 picks.....OMG !! :P It was fun to pretend to be all upset in Ig, *sobs and wails....you KILLED ME* *<insert GM name here>,...<insert players name here> KILLED Me...OMG* :P

It is a novelty to people to be able to kill others with mines, but all in all, considering the cost of mines, I don't think it is something that will be done a lot....maybe for the next few peace days and then another trend will take over when people stop mining in thier good gear.

Now, while we are all talking about kamakazi and the new spells for detecting/disarming the mines....

1. Will we have a suicide miners camp...if so where I want to avoid it :P

2. On a more serious note....guys when we have people in game that can disarm these things then just call in the bomb disposal squad....nice way for engineers to make more money, first they SELL the mines...then they get PAID do disarm them :)

Now to stop any comments on racism etc....guys if you have NOT seen Achmed the dead Terrorist then please youtube him...I will not be held responsible for the genius of another man, nor the fact he makes me LMAO.

Wolfy

Edit: First cup of coffee of the day and my fingers are moving faster than my brian AKA typos

Edited by WolfWitch

Yeah, I understood that much, Tempest.

I just don't see how it is the insult to freedom:)

To live in peace is a major part of freedom, Vanyel....

If you take away the right of peace from freedom, you insult the meaning of freedom..

Clear?

You mean freedom as freedom or freedom as you being able to roam in PK areas or harvest there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_%28philosophy%29

Clear?

Edited by Vanyel

Yeah, I understood that much, Tempest.

I just don't see how it is the insult to freedom:)

To live in peace is a major part of freedom, Vanyel....

If you take away the right of peace from freedom, you insult the meaning of freedom..

Clear?

You mean freedom as freedom or freedom as you being able to roam in PK areas or harvest there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_%28philosophy%29

Clear?

I mean freedom as being able to move safely around (hence: PEACE day)

Edited by Jezebelle

Hi all,

I hope those that like to mess around with these mines do not end up like this Achmed :

Achmed the dead terrorist

:icon13:

Still think we should not harm each other on peace day. But if it will stay the way it is now, maybe just change that 'no harm' part of the day and let people know they can be harmed on PK-maps by mines and such ... just to be clear for beginners and people that think they are totaly safe on peace day on all maps. I could live with that ... I like clarity that's all.

Because I hate mines in RL so much I will never make them in EL ... that is just my choise, I guess ... and I also choose not to PK nor PVP ... just hunt and from time to time kill monsters (they are like the bad guys to me, not players being bad).

See you all around (but not on PK-maps),

BethAhabah

Edited by BethAhabah

Hi all,

I hope those that like to mess around with these mines do not end up like this Achmed :

Achmed the dead terrorist

;)

i love it, sanka sent it to me ingame like few months ago and i couldnt stop laughing :icon13:

Ppl cant afk harvest in pk maps on peace day anymore.

Maybe i should start new thread complaining that mines can harm players on pk maps only and i want them to harm players everywhere? ;)

Just a little teasing but u know, Ent is pure evil so who knows :icon13:

I mean freedom as being able to move safely around (hence: PEACE day)

Haven't you learned by now? This game is just for fighters... if you want to advance your Alch skills, or Manu skills, then find a quiet safe place to do it.

I used to get upset that this game is turning into a PK server... but I gave up fighting it a long time ago.

Do yourself a favor, and sell anything you make to NPC... that way it's out of the game... and when all the fighters run out of armor and weapons... maybe PEACE DAY will really mean PEACE DAY.

I wait and wait for a Peace Day so I can safely harvest hydro ore. Once your overall gets up into the 100's in EL a new pick point only comes around every few months and there are some things requiring nexus I would like to be able to do a little sooner than in 3 or 4 years. But I could just carry a rostie and go other times or I can sell things and buy the hydro ore. Or maybe for simplicity I could just find somebody willing to trade some hydro ore for a rostogol stone. You see all this talk about Peace Day is making me think. I happen to believe that making people think is a good thing, so feel this thread is of value. Yes it is a bit misleading to describe Peace Day as one in which we may cause no harm. Probably the description should be changed and that bit left out now that there are mines.

EL will always be my internet MMORPG home. Twas the first I ever played and I have met some wonderful people here. You notice I said "my" home. That is the misconception that is causing problems here. We all get to feeling it is in some way "our" game........but it is not. It is Radu's game and brilliantly designed or none of us would be here. So if he has decided that there will be no safety for quiet harvesters and mixers we are just going to have to put up with it........or go play another game or do something in real life. In the world of EL, Radu is indeed teh god (though I am sure I do not completely agree with his notion of the nature of god, since he models a kind of cranky and evil deity). In that context having backdoor ways to kill people on what is supposed to be a "peace" day is perfectly consistent, as is a man eating leopard lurking in dark places. It is indeed a challenge to remain a player of peace and honor in such an environment.

So far the beauties of EL outweigh it's uglier parts for me, and that includes the attitudes of people. If someone thinks they can build a better world than Radu has, one where honor and kindness are higher values than rape and pillage and rewarded accordingly.....then please let me know where I can download that game when you have it completed. EL has been designed more according to the way real life is and in real life people get blown up, robbed and disappointed. If you think peace days or treaties work in the real world, I am sure there are some grieving Palestinian and Israeli families who would disagree with you.

Hmmm I didn't mean to write so much here. I love to see discussion of ideas and Jez's post sure stirred up people's brains. To me that is one of the great things about the EL community.....that regardless of flames or idiotic remarks.....people talk about ideas. People from all over the world discussing ideas together......just regular people who live ordinary lives. Some of you are the ages of my grandchildren (and Radu you are only a few years older than the eldest of them :happy:). When I was your age something like this was no more than a dream.

You and your exchange of ideas are more powerful than you imagine. I think talking together you will find a way to solve the very big problems our planet and our human community is facing. So thank you to Radu and Roja and all others who make places to share ideas. Maybe someday ideas will develop that allow there to be more real peace days ........... everywhere.

Haven't you learned by now? This game is just for fighters... if you want to advance your Alch skills, or Manu skills, then find a quiet safe place to do it.

I used to get upset that this game is turning into a PK server... but I gave up fighting it a long time ago.

lol?

Seriously, compared to most games, EL is a haven for the non-fighters, the peaceful players, its incredibly safe. One of the most common newbie questions is "Where can I get a weapon?" Players want to fight, the majority of people looking to play MMO's are not after peaceful games, they want to fight and kill things. The majority of players just looking for weapons and quick cool a/d levels end up leaving EL because EL is focused around much more than fighting. However, fighting is always a major part of any game.

There are so many quiet safe places to mix, this game is hardly just for fighters. ;)

-edit-

It's actually incredibly amusing to see some fighters pout that PK is dead, fighting is no use, and now some mixers are complaining EL is only for fighters? :o

Edited by Enly

It's actually incredibly amusing to see some fighters pout that PK is dead, fighting is no use, and now some mixers are complaining EL is only for fighters? ;)

Are you kidding me? The fighters are pouting? They had a server made especially for them...and they're not happy? Why? Because they can't throw hand grenades into a crowd of peaceful miners? Because they can't steal stuff from people that worked long and hard to make? Because... like the noobs you just described... they would rather pick up a weapon instead of a book? My heart bleeds for them.

Tell me, whenever some new event comes up in EL ... who is it for?

Can't remember the last new MANU/ALCH that was added. I don't mean ENG/TAYLOR.

What this post is about is PEACE DAY... and how it's the MANU/ALCH only day to breath easy.

Of all the days that hurt the MANU/ALCH's

LABOR DAY...MURPHY DAY...FASTING DAY...etc.

The ONE day that effects the fighters...PEACE DAY...and now they worked a way around that.

Now I know this game must be impossible to design...and you can't please everyone... but if all you do is make this game pleasing to is the noobs in a hurry to grab a sword... then all you'll have on here are people saying "Where can I get another sword?"

I'm not trying to harp on this...I've sadly seen so many of my friends walk away from here... I ask them to come back... but for what? They say that things are just too difficult. Yes, it needs to be difficult to make the game interesting. Just keep things fair... fighters are prepaired for battle... so when they attack armourless miners...seems fair to me ;-)

And please don't add "Then wear armour!"... if I gave you tit plate, and sat you down next to Lucifer_X... how much mining are you gonna get done? =) Some people don't play this game to fight... they would rather expand other areas.

[/rant]

The ONE day that effects the fighters...PEACE DAY...and now they worked a way around that.

Day of more grief ;)

And I bet they're affected by:

Day of no Rostogols

Day of the Brave

Acid Rain Day

Solar Flare Day

Day of the Dead

As well :o

Most MMORPGs revolve around combat, many don't even have other skills, just various fighting classes.

And peace day may be worse for you than you'd like to admit. For example, I don't think ALL fighters just log off on peace day, I bet a few stay on, make some essences, maybe some armor... wouldn't you prefer to make those things for them?

I think peace day will benefit from having this way around it :) And adds more of a challenge to easy going mixers who take advantage of it. And it is only a slight way around it, you can avoid mines afterall can't you?

Edited by Enly