Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Entropy

Can't select s**t bug

If you have the "can't select shit" problem with the RC 10, please post here.

Make sure to have the video card info in your signature, and take screenshots of the areas with problems.

And make sure to mention if this always happens in the same area, if it can be reproduced on demand, etc.

P.S. Make sure you are in a 32bpp windows mode (your desktop must use 32bpp).

I cant click on actors and I can click on me. Sometimes i can click on NPCs or on a player (it seems random, i cant reproduce it) but if that happens i cant click on me. Numbers of actors i can interact with seems limited to 1. Cant click on monsters or animals.

Latest cvs, PPC mac, UVP 0 with shaders dir renamed.

EDIT: no problems with the harvestables i tried

Edited by Fedora

If I understand correctly, the "can't select spam" bug is different than the "select gets the wrong bag or wrong door" bug that I and others are also seeing. Do you want us to post our information too, or only the "can't" folks?

Well, if you select the wrong object, I'd classify it as "can't select the right shit".

But for the purpose of this thread, let's post all the new selection problems.

As I have talked about in the RC10 thread, I've seen two basic "wrong stuff select" problems. The first as to do with selecting one door and going to another.

For my character on the main server, it happens every time I go into PL storage. I can't get out again. If I click on the front door, I walk to the rear door and go into the back room. I found that if I don't walk away from the front door after entry, I can get out fine. As soon as I walk away from the door, clicking on either door takes me to the back room.

What I DID find is that if I rotate the image about 90-degrees clock-wise (so I'm looking across the room from the front-right corner instead of the front-left corner as in the picture below) then no matter which door I click I go to the front door. The problem is still there, but I can control which door I go to with the rotation of the screen.

This picture is the orientation that causes any door selects to send me to the back room.

gallery_8617_12_93992.jpg

The other problem has to do with selecting one bag and going to another.

For my character on the PK server (who's on IP) every time I go to the bread spawn (by the light pole) I can click on a bag and I walk to a different bag (and it opens). I do this a couple times and then sometimes I can click a bag and I won't move at all. If I click on the ground (to get off the current bag) then I can click bags again and wander around.

In the house with the healing potions spawn, I also go to different bags. Tonight I went in and there were three bags. I clicked on #1 and went to #2 (picked it up). Clicked on #1 again and went to #3 (picked it up). Clicked on #1 again and finally went to #1 and picked it up.

The bag selection problem only seems to happen when there are multiple bags on-screen (like the spawns I mentioned).

I didn't get a picture because it would simply show me standing on a bag at the bread spawn. But I can add one if desired.

I can recreate both problems on demand. They seem to happen every time. And I have verified I am in 32bit display mode.

I'm still having problems selecting certain flora, such as the back of wormwood, or most parts of nightshade (other than the stems). The back of the wormwood fronds in the Trassian/Iscalrith cave are completely transparent to my cursor. Eyeball-clicking on them just yields "You see grass." This behavior is common to all wormwood in the cave. This behavior is 100% reproduceable.

View of the front of the wormwood, working properly

Looking "through" the back of the wormwood

Technical notes: My (linux) desktop is set at 24 bit color, which is the equivalent of 32 bits in windows. EL runs at 32 bits (as displayed in the screenshots). The most recent linux data package, and cvs as of about 10 minutes ago (03/07/2008, 11PM EST) were used for these screenshots.

Edit: The top of the roses in VotD are not clickable as well. The bottom (cone part) works fine.

Edited by asgnny

Posted about this before here...

Previous post

i had been going back and forth for a while harvesting silver in Crystal Caverns when, after a cavern wall collapse, i found i couldn't click on anything.

the problem is random

problem isn't repeatable

problem does not effect doors, could enter and leave areas normally

problm isn't cleared by map changes

problem isn't limited to harvestables, when it appeared i couldn't select actors either

problem is cleared by relogging

running 32 bit colour

I'm finding that when I want to harvest flowers, I can only click a certain bit of the flowers for the harvest icon to come up, is this a bug or a change to make us more accurate when we harvest?

I'm finding that when I want to harvest flowers, I can only click a certain bit of the flowers for the harvest icon to come up, is this a bug or a change to make us more accurate when we harvest?

It seems the centers of these objects are lower than normal/desired. You should notice that if you have this problem, you can lower your cursor some to select (begin harvesting) these objects. Hopefully this makes it more clear what's happening here...

EDIT: I am also experiencing this issue (if I didn't make that clear) :)

Edited by DogBreath

I noticed that I can only select red roses and chrysanthemums by stem or leaves. I've started to collect screenshots on issue, I'll post URL to them soon.

edit: Here they are, I'll upload more as I encounter them, if needed? Oh, and yes, these are 100% reproducable and always happen in same places.

Edited by Sikaflex

Below are the selection problems I have had. I used the old client to take some of the pictures, but all of the results relate to the use of RC10:

http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=problemdoor2gi3.jpg

This cave is in II, simply using the door icon on the cave exit does not work anywhere till I move around quite a bit and click over the entire exit. I have yet to find a consistent pattern for successful exit.

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=problemdoor3qd0.jpg

Last night, when I tried to enter this door (the door icon has never worked on this door, only the "use" icon), it crashed my entire system. Today, i tried and simply could not enter.

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=problemdoor4jq6.jpg

Tarsengaard storage--the first time, I could not enter using the door icon unless i used it right on the door handle. Today, the door icon worked in the middle of the door, but crashed my system upon entry.

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=problemdoor6vp7.jpg

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=problemdoor5wh8.jpg

In Saligen Manor in PV, i get the "Can't reach destination (path blocked?) message on both interior doors. If I zoom in and click in the middle of the doors, it will sometimes allow me in. On the door featured in the 2nd picture, if I swing around from behind and click the door, it takes me to the other room.

These are the issues I've had so far, in addition to the one I messaged you about.

I am experiencing this, when attempting to harvest flowers near some other interactive object, usually near buildings (EVTR tavern, PL tavern). I am solving this problem by rotating to angle, where that other clickable object is no longer under/behind harvestables.

This is the same as the already reported BSF flower selection bug.

I've done some debugging and the flowers are drawn correctly if GL_CULL_FACE is disabled. The orientation of the top part of the flower is wrong so what you actually see is the back of the polygon which is not drawn if GL_CULL_FACE is enabled.

This patch fixes the broken flowers

Index: select.cpp
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/elc/elc/select.cpp,v
retrieving revision 1.17
diff -u -r1.17 select.cpp
--- select.cpp	5 Mar 2008 22:52:09 -0000	1.17
+++ select.cpp	11 Mar 2008 10:34:40 -0000
@@ -279,7 +391,7 @@
			glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_SOURCE0_ALPHA_ARB, GL_TEXTURE);
			glTexEnvi(GL_TEXTURE_ENV, GL_OPERAND0_ALPHA_ARB, GL_SRC_ALPHA);

-			glEnable(GL_CULL_FACE);
+			glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE);
			glAlphaFunc(GL_GREATER, 0.06f);

for (i = 0; i < selections.size(); i++)

Edited by ago

Having a hard time selecting the Red Rose in VOTD... seems I can only catch a few pixels on the stem of the flower.

I had that same problem. Would like to see what graphics card you have if it's similar to mine.

I had that same problem. Would like to see what graphics card you have if it's similar to mine.

Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS

Running Windows Vista

My system crashed again when I used the door icon on the SRM storage to enter. This is the 3rd time I've had problems at this storage. 2 crashes when entering, 1 when panning inside.

How exactly is this related to the new selection?

Sorry, I guess I wrongfully lumped all door problems into the "selection problem" bucket.

And BTW, did you happen to install unofficial maps?

Yes, I have the bloodsucker maps installed.

And BTW, did you happen to install unofficial maps?

Yes, I have the bloodsucker maps installed.

And after you deleted everything, and reinstalled again, before the unofficial maps, it worked fine, yes?

And after you deleted everything, and reinstalled again, before the unofficial maps, it worked fine, yes?

I didn't try it with the official maps, but will try it straight away by deleting and resintalling.