Eternal Lands Official Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Florian

Server in window title

Hi,

shouldn't it be "Eternal Lands (<player> on <server>)"?

Patch

Index: multiplayer.c
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/elc/elc/multiplayer.c,v
retrieving revision 1.270
diff -u -d -p -r1.270 multiplayer.c
--- multiplayer.c	   12 Feb 2008 22:57:27 -0000	  1.270
+++ multiplayer.c	   5 Mar 2008 08:48:12 -0000
@@ -617,7 +617,7 @@ void process_message_from_server (const 
							newchar_root_win = -1;
							show_window (game_root_win);

-							   safe_snprintf(str,sizeof(str),"(%s on %s) %s",username_str,get_server_name(),win_principal);
+							   safe_snprintf(str,sizeof(str),"%s (%s on %s)",win_principal,username_str,get_server_name());
							SDL_WM_SetCaption(str, "eternallands" );

#if defined NEW_SOUND

Flo

Having the application name *following* the context description (document name or in this case character name) good practice in GUI design, which has been pretty well adopted in the last decade or so.

The reason for this arrangement is obvious when you consider what happens when a running application is minimised, or has an entry in the task bar; the window title is used as the label on the task bar entry, which can be truncated when the bar becomes crowded.

When application names were ordered first, you'd see a lot of identical entries (eg, "[Word...][Word...][Word...]") and finding the correct one to switch to was a pain.

Having the context description first keeps truncated task bar entries distinguishable for longer as the task bar becomes crowded.

IMHO the title should be "$PLAYER on $SERVER - Eternal Lands". This scheme is used by many other Windows programs (eg Firefox, Internet Explorer).

Having the application name *following* the context description (document name or in this case character name) good practice in GUI design, which has been pretty well adopted in the last decade or so.

The reason for this arrangement is obvious when you consider what happens when a running application is minimised, or has an entry in the task bar; the window title is used as the label on the task bar entry, which can be truncated when the bar becomes crowded.

When application names were ordered first, you'd see a lot of identical entries (eg, "[Word...][Word...][Word...]") and finding the correct one to switch to was a pain.

Having the context description first keeps truncated task bar entries distinguishable for longer as the task bar becomes crowded.

Absolutely. I find this new way (Playername on Server)Eternal Lands extremely useful and helpful. Many thanks to those who decided to do/did this.

I wrote that patch for the very reason expressed above - when I have more than 1 client running I could never remember which window was for which server. Now it is just a glance away.

The EL client on windows when minimised at the console window uses a lot less memory and system resources, having to open the window to check which char and server I am running is now a thing of the *patch* edit lol typo :P past.

The (player on server) makes the name and server stand out a little more. I tried a few alternatives and that was my personal favourite.

[player on server]

(player on server)

player on server @ Eternal Lands

player on server - Eternal Lands

Thanks to everyone that has said they find the patch useful, and to the people that don't like it I am sorry. I have an old el 0.8 somewhere I can dig out for you. Can't predict if it will work though.

Edited by LabRat